Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
User avatar
stratohawk
Sr. Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:35 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratohawk » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:42 am

Equinox wrote:
stratohawk wrote:Operation: Kingdom (or simply "The Kingdom")

Great political Action Drama! I recommend this movie to everybody interested in nowadays politics. The final conclusion of it is really brutal and shattering. But, also from the point of view of a good movie itself it really rocks!
Is that another "America is the best, our soldiers are the best, our culture is the best, we have the best ppl, and the main character is our best bad ass. All the other cultures suck, we make fun of them, and we dont' like them" type of movie?

From the trailers, that's the way it looks.
Negative. If it was so like you describe, I wouldn't say that it's a good movie. ;-) Yeah, the trailers promises you a movie like that. But it's not. In the very end, it's even more like the opposite...

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by black death » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:49 pm

Once
Hmm, I don't want to say that it's a romantic comedy, but it's close to it :? about how a poor Irish musician falls in love with a Czech immigrant (it takes place in Dublin) and records a CD with her. Although I think there's nothing special about the film, I really loved it!
And I shouldn't forget: starring Glen Hansard as the musician :)

Good Shepherd
Robert De Niro proved that he's not only great actor, but very good director as well. The only thing subject to small criticism is the lengthiness of it - when I was watching it, many times I had a feeling that I would have done it much much much faster :? .
To sum up, when I forget my troubles with f..king TALL people sitting in front of me (so I had no idea if there are any subtitles or not :roll: ), the film is really worth watching :)

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Mormegil » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Saw IV
Fine, but nowhere near the first one. :roll:

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3418
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Equinox » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:57 pm

stratohawk wrote:
Equinox wrote:
stratohawk wrote:Operation: Kingdom (or simply "The Kingdom")

Great political Action Drama! I recommend this movie to everybody interested in nowadays politics. The final conclusion of it is really brutal and shattering. But, also from the point of view of a good movie itself it really rocks!
Is that another "America is the best, our soldiers are the best, our culture is the best, we have the best ppl, and the main character is our best bad ass. All the other cultures suck, we make fun of them, and we dont' like them" type of movie?

From the trailers, that's the way it looks.
Negative. If it was so like you describe, I wouldn't say that it's a good movie. ;-) Yeah, the trailers promises you a movie like that. But it's not. In the very end, it's even more like the opposite...
Aww, then I'd see it.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

User avatar
stratobabius
Sr. Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:23 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratobabius » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:01 pm

Mormegil wrote:Saw IV
Fine, but nowhere near the first one. :roll:
And there are 3 more to come...Is it good (plotwise :D )?

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Mormegil » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:42 pm

I think even the 4th one was pushing the plot too far...

Taxi Driver
Masterpiece. Pure and simple. Robert De Niro is considered by many to be the greatest Hollywood-actor for a reason.

User avatar
exe knight
Sr. Member
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: the whitefish river (siikajoki)

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by exe knight » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:19 pm

Matti

It's some time ago...
But anyway, it's really nice movie, some people think it's not that good, but I loved it, first there was this enormous "adventure" and then the "grande finale", again, TK singin in the ending, his voice is really strange in finnish songs I think by this, much different than on metal songs.

But the movie itself, it's a must see IMO.

User avatar
miditek
Sr. Member
Posts: 2045
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 am

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by miditek » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:02 pm

Mormegil wrote:I think even the 4th one was pushing the plot too far...
:lol: Hollywood loves sequels, sometimes I wonder if they would ever recognize a new idea even if it bit them on the ass!
Mormegil wrote:Taxi Driver
Masterpiece. Pure and simple. Robert De Niro is considered by many to be the greatest Hollywood-actor for a reason.
"Yoo lookin' at me?" 8)

DeNiro is probably one of the best dramatic actors, but have you ever seen him do comedy before? One of my favorites was "Midnight Run" where he played a bounty hunter tasked with bringing in a crooked accountant portrayed by Charles Grodin. Analyze This & Analyze That were really funny, as were the "Meet The Parents" movie and sequel, "Meet the Fokkers."
Κύριε ἐλέησον

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Mormegil » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:23 pm

Haven't seen Midnight Run. He was good in Meet The Parents, but I still prefer him in Martin Scorsese's mob/crime dramas. :)

User avatar
Shurik
Sr. Member
Posts: 3774
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:17 am
Location: Satellite Of Love
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Shurik » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:28 pm

Mormegil wrote:Haven't seen Midnight Run. He was good in Meet The Parents, but I still prefer him in Martin Scorsese's mob/crime dramas. :)
He was great in Stardust :D
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

User avatar
Carcass
Sr. Member
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am
Location: Finland

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Carcass » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:30 am

miditek wrote:
Mormegil wrote:I think even the 4th one was pushing the plot too far...
:lol: Hollywood loves sequels, sometimes I wonder if they would ever recognize a new idea even if it bit them on the ass!
Mormegil wrote:Taxi Driver
Masterpiece. Pure and simple. Robert De Niro is considered by many to be the greatest Hollywood-actor for a reason.
"Yoo lookin' at me?" 8)

DeNiro is probably one of the best dramatic actors, but have you ever seen him do comedy before? One of my favorites was "Midnight Run" where he played a bounty hunter tasked with bringing in a crooked accountant portrayed by Charles Grodin. Analyze This & Analyze That were really funny, as were the "Meet The Parents" movie and sequel, "Meet the Fokkers."
Oh fucking hell, Midnight Run is so hilarious!!! I love that film.

User avatar
stratohawk
Sr. Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:35 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratohawk » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:39 am

300

Well.... In some way, this movie is art. And it only works from that point of view. Because IMO it has no tension, no good story, no real or good statement. Only surreal, apocalyptical pictures and surroundings, and a few (it could have been more for my taste) stylish battle scenes.

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Mormegil » Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:05 pm

Shurik wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Haven't seen Midnight Run. He was good in Meet The Parents, but I still prefer him in Martin Scorsese's mob/crime dramas. :)
He was great in Stardust :D
I was going to see Stardust just because of him (and Michelle Pfeiffer and Peter O'Toole) but the local theater ended its screening before I could. :P

User avatar
Shurik
Sr. Member
Posts: 3774
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:17 am
Location: Satellite Of Love
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Shurik » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:13 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Shurik wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Haven't seen Midnight Run. He was good in Meet The Parents, but I still prefer him in Martin Scorsese's mob/crime dramas. :)
He was great in Stardust :D
I was going to see Stardust just because of him (and Michelle Pfeiffer and Peter O'Toole) but the local theater ended its screening before I could. :P
I went to see Stardust because it's a Neil Gaiman's story and he was also involved in the production ... Of course, De Niro and Pfeiffer are great in this movie, Peter O'Toole has an exactly one scene and if I'm not mistaken - it's in the trailer ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

User avatar
stratohawk
Sr. Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:35 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratohawk » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:19 am

I just watched

Zodiac

Some of you US citizens know about this case? This movie (David Fincher's latest masterpiece) seemed to be absolutely authentical, almost like a documentation. A very good movie, and a frightening case. Probably it will never be solved.

User avatar
stratobabius
Sr. Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:23 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratobabius » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:48 am

two pages ago, stratobabius wrote:Zodiac

A 3-hour movie based on a serial killer in California. True story.
I can be certain that I gained nothing from this...Well, maybe 30 minutes of sleep.
Not my cup of tea, but it seems to be a hit among the critics... I wonder what they see that I cannot.
Maybe it was a different movie you saw stratohawk? Just different tastes I guess :wink:

User avatar
htcdude
Sr. Member
Posts: 6974
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:56 pm
Location: The Sonic Firestorm (Hayes, UK)
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by htcdude » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 pm

I saw Equilibrium yesterday, pretty kool movie :)
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

User avatar
miditek
Sr. Member
Posts: 2045
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:59 am

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by miditek » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Carcass wrote:Oh fucking hell, Midnight Run is so hilarious!!! I love that film.
Tell me about it- not many comedies can keep me in tears, but this was definitely one of them. Here's one of my favorite lines:

(On the bus)

"The Duke"> "Jack, I'd really like to have a word with you..."

Jack Walsh> "Oh, yeah? Well here come two for you: shut the fuck up!" :lol:
Κύριε ἐλέησον

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by black death » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:57 pm

Lions for Lambs

User avatar
StratoTimo
Sr. Member
Posts: 6657
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:18 pm
Location: Suomen Chicago...Lahti!
Contact:

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by StratoTimo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:04 am

Guitar Hero Live at Tavastia
Meikä Ankka

User avatar
Dark Angel
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:38 pm
Location: A little village in a little place of Italy...

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:43 pm

Pirates of the Caribbeans - At World's End
...don't let my memory die,
but now it's time to be gone...

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by black death » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:17 am

In The Name Of The Father
Auf der anderen Seite

Both very good :)

User avatar
TrialByFire
Member
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed May 25, 2005 3:03 am

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by TrialByFire » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:06 am

The last movie I went to see was Saw 4 and I loved it. I am looking foward to I am Legend. That movie looks pretty interesting.

I saw the commercials for Beowulf and practically laughed my ass off. Then I read the reviews and literally laughed my ass off. Why they even bothered naming it Beowulf when they completely butchered the story to the point that it no longer is the same story anymore is beyond me.
"As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the French should be allowed to host is an invasion" Johnny English

User avatar
stratobabius
Sr. Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:23 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratobabius » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Liar Liar

I still laugh every time I see this :lol:

User avatar
Carcass
Sr. Member
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am
Location: Finland

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Carcass » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:52 pm

White Diamond by one of my favourite film makers, Werner Herzog.

This is a documentary, but you never know with Herzog what's real, the border line between a documentary and a "normal" film has never been clear.

This film has one such a wonderful character, a Guyanese miner. This film saved my day. I could tape his voice and listen to it when I go to sleep... but of course nobody here knows Herzog's work. Maybe stratohawk knows...

User avatar
stratohawk
Sr. Member
Posts: 3067
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2003 5:35 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratohawk » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:13 am

Good Night, And Good Luck

Movie about Senator Joseph McCarthys witchhunt for "communists", about the denunciations that many Americans had to experience in those early 50s, and Ed Murrows struggle against McCarthy.
Very authentic, subtle movie with brilliant actors (especially David Strathairn) - for my taste it could have been much longer than those 90 minutes.

User avatar
black death
Sr. Member
Posts: 1548
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:14 am
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by black death » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:06 pm

L‘ Enemi Intime (I have no idea how is it called in English...probably "Among Enemies" or something like that)
A French film about Algerian war. Very authentic, I'd say. And very good.

User avatar
Equinox
Sr. Member
Posts: 3418
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 7:26 am
Location: Denver USA

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Equinox » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:03 pm

Beowulf.

Another crappy movie. Highly stupid, far from the poem, and full of heroism. My ass with the heroism. But it was really epic, and the the 1 or 2 songs that are in the movie are reallly good.

Action scenes...not as good as expected. Anyway, if you can, watch it in 3D or something similar to iMax, where they give you the #D glasses. It makes the bad, bearable.

Is it me, or are the gringo movies just going from bad to worse with every new release? Or is it that I'm picking the wrong movies to watch?
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

User avatar
Carcass
Sr. Member
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:41 am
Location: Finland

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Carcass » Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:07 pm

Equinox wrote:Beowulf.

Another crappy movie. Highly stupid, far from the poem, and full of heroism. My ass with the heroism. But it was really epic, and the the 1 or 2 songs that are in the movie are reallly good.

Action scenes...not as good as expected. Anyway, if you can, watch it in 3D or something similar to iMax, where they give you the #D glasses. It makes the bad, bearable.
When I saw the trailer I thought it was a joke, but then I saw Angelina Jolie's big, fat, ugly lips and realized THIS CRAP IS FOR REAL :shock:!!!

I'm thinking about watching Red Dawn tonight...

User avatar
stratobabius
Sr. Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:23 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Recently seen movies

Post by stratobabius » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:03 am

Equinox wrote:Beowulf.

Another crappy movie. Highly stupid, far from the poem, and full of heroism. My ass with the heroism. But it was really epic, and the the 1 or 2 songs that are in the movie are reallly good.

Action scenes...not as good as expected. Anyway, if you can, watch it in 3D or something similar to iMax, where they give you the #D glasses. It makes the bad, bearable.

Is it me, or are the gringo movies just going from bad to worse with every new release? Or is it that I'm picking the wrong movies to watch?
+1. Almost to everything. Just choose a different movie.

And Carcass,this crap... it's NOT real. That is just some way too good CGI :D

Post Reply