Recently seen movies

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Equinox
Re: Recently seen movies

Post by Equinox » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:17 am

ggonza43 wrote:The Expendables: An excuse to blow things up, no plot at all and lots of fire and explosions...Amazing :D!
Just watched it today. So fake it's not even fun. For times like this is when you have to use your disbelief.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Lurdi

Post by Lurdi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:43 pm

- Requiem for a dream
- Trainspotting
- Little miss sunshine

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:08 am

Trainspotting is one of my favourite films (and books) ever. Fantastic bit of work.

Little Miss Sunshine is excellent too, if somewhat more uplifting.

I haven't seen Requiem for a Dream yet. I know, I need to.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:11 am

NeonVomit wrote:Little Miss Sunshine is excellent too, if somewhat more uplifting.
+1!
"And where's your grandpa?"
"In the trunk." :lol:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:42 am

American Ninja; I actually liked it

Solaris (the old one)

The Day After; chilling, this one probably traumatized a lot of kids growing up during the cold war

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:13 am

Solaris (the old one)
I found it unbearably boring and apparently Stanislaw Lem hated it. The american one was also bad. Too bad, because the book is awesome and I don't think it's that hard to bring to screen faithfully ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:38 am

The Abominable Dr. Phibes ... I love these old horror movies, Vincent Price was great.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:51 am

Saw VII is coming soon.................:shud: BOO! Just in time for Halloween! :D

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:14 am

Hammer IXVCII is coming soon, too. I think this is the one when hammersaw finally dies... :shock:

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:21 pm

Kaboom: a shock, a complete shock! A masterpiece!!!

You will meet a tall dark stranger: A great Woody never hurts!!!

Tamara Drewe: funny, really, good movie!!

The social network: A great Fincher! Amazing dialogues and speeches, and great actors!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:07 am

Taxidermia.

If you have NEVER seen an hungarian guy diving his dick in cold water midst a communist régime, this is the movie for you.

Edit: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

WOW the amount of dicks in this thing is unbelievable. :lol: Hungarian people rock!! I'm still trying to find a point in all this since the goal here seems to be me puking from my nostrils...

Edit2: Awesome. I misjudged. It is awesome.
---...---

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:29 am

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Hammer IXVCII is coming soon, too. I think this is the one when hammersaw finally dies... :shock:
Hammer IXVCII is out soon?? :shock:
That has the potential to be the best film since Phallus XX! (Uncut version of course :roll:)

Baby

Post by Baby » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:34 pm

:leapfrog: :)

Gagaga!

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:27 am

"Come and See"

Elem Klimov's grim and surrealistic film, described by one New York Times reviewer as "making Apocalypse Now look lightweight.", of a young boy who is intent on joining a local Partisan resistance group in Belarus, circa 1943. He ignores the warnings of a village elder not to dig for weapons, as it will bring reprisals upon his village by the Germans.

The movie's title is taken from the following Biblical verses:

(7) When He opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, “Come and see.” ( 8 ) So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword, with hunger, with death, and by the beasts of the earth."- Revelation 6:7-8

Floria, the protagonist, ignores the warning and eventually finds a Soviet SVT-40 sniper rifle, but not before being noticed by a German reconnaissance plane flying overhead, where they can clearly see Floria and his unnamed friend holding the rifle.

Over his mother's tearful and vehement objections, Floria soon leaves with representatives of the local resistance group. She wails, "go ahead, and kill us now!", referring to herself and Floria's much younger twin sisters.

Floria eventually makes his way to the Partisan camp, where he is indoctrinated with the rules and regulations, and is also punished with extra duty by Kottash, the commander of the group, while on sentry detail, for not shooting when the challenge password is not given.

The main body of the resistance group goes off to attack German troops behind enemy lines, and Floria is bitterly disappointed at being left behind to guard the camp. He encounters a beautiful young girl named Glasha- who has a crush on the commander. Shortly thereafter, the Germans zero in on the camp and begin bombing it, as Floria and Glasha must first dodge bombs, and then anti-Partisan Fallschirmjäger units that are parachuted in.

Eventually they make their way back to Floria's village, which is now deserted. His house is empty, although he finds that the food is still warm. He and Glasha eat, but with her woman's intuition, she vomits upon the realization of what has happened to the town's residents.

Ever the optimist, Floria and Glasha flee towards the bogs, as he is convinced that his family has escaped to an island that is accessible only via successful navigation of the bog. As they flee, Glasha looks back and screams upon seeing the bodies of the townspeople piled up behind Glasha's house. They eventually make their way to the bog and then on to the island, where surviving villagers sadly tell Floria that his family has indeed been killed. The village elder that warned him not to dig is laying on the ground, and is badly burned after the Germans had poured gasoline on him. "I told you not to dig," he says as he lays dying. "They poured gasoline on me, and I burned. I begged them to kill me, but they just laughed".

Floria is grief-stricken, and with the help of additional Partisan stragglers, they embark on a mission to find food to help feed the starving survivors that are trapped on the island. Eventually, Floria finds himself alone, and trapped behind enemy lines near the fictional village of Perkhody. He is instructed by a farmer to hide his weapon and Partisan uniform under a bale of hay, as he smuggles the young boy into the village- as enemy mobile troops begin to roll into town.

Reports of resistance in the area makes the village a target for reprisals at the hands of the brutal 15th SS/SD Einsatzkommando. All of the villagers are then rounded up, and herded into a church, with the assistance of local collaborators, who act as translators for the Germans. Floria is caught up in the group, but an officer announces that whoever can, may climb out the window, but that the children must remain inside. Floria climbs out, but most of the rest of the villagers remain inside.

The Germans then throw potato masher grenades through the windows, and then set the church alight- raking it with machine gun fire and flame-throwers, and then proceed to destroy the rest of the town.

At the end, the camera pans to a destroyed German column that has been ambushed by the Partisans, who have extracted bloody revenge on 15th Kommando for their brutality. Some survivors are captured, but I'll leave the details of the ending out for those that wish to see the film- as the ending is very symbolic and interesting.

It is a very disturbing film, but one that I highly recommend- one that is told through Russian eyes, and away from the glitz and glamor of Hollywood.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:10 am

Come and See is about the most sad and depressing film I've seen, but definitely worth watching. It's hard to find it on DVD, at least in Finland, but there are many uploads of it on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IgorRusland ... 93E5E820FA

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:58 am

I saw The Human Centipede. I... uh... I just don't know where to start, or how to describe it, or whether or not it was a good film. I'll let Ron Mexico over at Ruthless tell you about it.

Just... uh... yeah.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:21 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:Saw VII is coming soon.................:shud: BOO! Just in time for Halloween! :D
Well, now I'm finally 18 so those guys at the entrance of the cinema won't tell me "Sorry dude, maybe next time" again...I'll say "FUCK YOU! Now I'm old enough" :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:48 am

The Blue Bird '1940

This movie is so beautiful, I remember when I was a child used to spend on TV in the 80's, now only in TV cable I can watch again!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:50 pm

ROBIN HOOD---the new one with Russell Crowe wearing the tights, or should I say, leather pants? :D Very good movie, the scenery is nice, the costumes close to accurate for the 12th century, and historically, credible. The actors chosen did their roles quite well.

88 MINUTES----Tense thriller with the action going in real time. Al Pacino at his best as a psychiatrist being framed for the murders of several women. He has 88 minutes to clear his name, and find the real killer which is a SURPRISE!!! :shock: Spoiler: Blonde, beautiful, blue-eyed. And, female. :shock:
Considering that Al was a poor, illegitimate kid who grew up raised by his Grandparents in the Bronx he has done very, very well. Lucky, or just effort he did right!

NINTH GATE-----Was not rated too highly by the industry, but I find this to be a very good movie. Has hidden meanings, and messages galore. In the Bible it says the whore of Babylon rides a dragon. Is Johnny Depp the dragon? :D

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:35 pm

ROBIN HOOD---the new one with Russell Crowe wearing the tights, or should I say, leather pants? Very Happy Very good movie, the scenery is nice, the costumes close to accurate for the 12th century, and historically, credible. The actors chosen did their roles quite well.
I thought it was basically Gladiator in 12th century England. I didn't like Gladiator and I didn't like the new Robin Hood either. It's Hollywood history at its worst.

I've seen The Pillars Of The Earth mini-series recently and liked it very much. I'm reading the book now and I love it, great historical fiction novel about a period in English history that isn't visited frequently in literature or on screen ...
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:40 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
NINTH GATE-----Was not rated too highly by the industry, but I find this to be a very good movie. Has hidden meanings, and messages galore. In the Bible it says the whore of Babylon rides a dragon. Is Johnny Depp the dragon? :D
Maybe he is :lol:

Anyway this movie is great!

The last movie I watched was Knowing, I love this movie!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:59 am

Polaris wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
Maybe he is :lol:

Anyway this movie is great!

The last movie I watched was Knowing, I love this movie!
I liked it, too but it had a bittersweet ending. Bitter because the world came to an end; Sweet because the chosen children got to start a new world somewhere else in the universe.

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:42 pm

Im Just checking out the classics movies of the PLANET OF THE APES beautiful movies there is a lot of stuff in the movie that will make you hate humans. my prescription? more feces thorwing! go apes!

and tomorrow finally the premier of SAW 7, Im really looking foward to that one , dont know if you guys and girls dig it.

and andd anddd..... PARANORMAL ACTIVITY if you havent seen it is a must! the sequel it set to premiere really soon here(in the USA is leading the charts) and fuck man, is disturbing, I watch the dvd in early morning so I can sleep well. :lol:
A9

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:35 am

Leprechaun.

I regret it now...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:31 pm

The SKULLS

10-year-old movie but it's pretty good. Makes you wonder: Are politicians really that crooked? ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Was Obama a member of that secret order? ??? Somehow I do not think so. :wink:

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:31 pm

Kosmo wrote:Leprechaun.

I regret it now...
those are soooooooooooo bad, that they are good. there is "leprechaun on space"....oh my god.
A9

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:02 am

Vof! :)

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:05 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:Vof! :)
:luv1: :luv1: :luv1:
---...---

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:58 am

Not the Cosbys

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2nZUn4t7nE?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/H2nZUn4t7nE?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Karlheinz Stockhausen

Post by Karlheinz Stockhausen » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:40 am

Huh