Who here listens to classical music?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
ciruelo
asda

Post by ciruelo » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:09 am

i listen to classical music, i play the piano so i try to copy them :lol:
but you can imagine how hard is that :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

my favourite are bach and chopin

icecab21

Re: Who here listens to classical music?

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 am

if you mean classical music like Judas Priest - YES!
I think I need to look at more of these old threads. That quote is one of the most amusing quotes ever.

eagledreamr

Post by eagledreamr » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:07 am

I worship J-S Bach
I like very much Edvard Grieg
And there are many other composers that I enjoy (Vivaldi, Chopin, etc.)
Life's to short to cry
Long enough to try

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:58 am

I got to like classical music because of my dad, he's got a huge collection. When I was a kid, my favorite piece was William Tell Overture by Rossini, which I still enjoy. Went to see the philharmonic orchestra play it a few years ago, it was awesome!

Ricardo1701

Post by Ricardo1701 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:37 am

Actualy, I don't listen to classical music, but I really like it

I play piano, and sometimes, I search in Youtube some videos, and I wish to play them some day...in these days I'm learning Tchaikovsky's Dance Of Sugar from Nutcracker Suite...

I wish to see The Ring of the Nibelung someday, sadly, it's hard to have these opera here in Brazil.

PS: Sorry for any English error, I can understand, but I find some difficulty in writing texts...

Florian

Post by Florian » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:The Four Seasons definitely rule :D
Yes, I love Vivaldi! Patrick Rondat (a french guitarist) covered the Summer Presto, look at this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jm8c4PAy_9U&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jm8c4PAy_9U&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:48 am

Florian wrote:
Yes, I love Vivaldi! Patrick Rondat (a french guitarist) covered the Summer Presto, look at this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jm8c4PAy_9U&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Jm8c4PAy_9U&hl=fr&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
I actually (try) to play his interpretation of Presto....
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:06 am

I am a huge fan of all classical music, my mother raised me on it. I've grown up on Mozart,Vivaldi,Beethoven,Bach,Liszt,Brahms,Rossini etc etc. I could keep going on but the list would be too damn long.

Needless to say classical music will have a huge influence in my band.
metal feeds the beast

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Florian wrote:

Manowar's Joey DeMaio claims Richard Wagner invented heavy metal.
If that's case, Antonio Vivaldi surely invented power metal. Prove me wrong!

I have been actively listening to classical for a couple of years now. So far I really like Tchaikovsky, Dvo&#345;ák, Vivaldi, Grieg and of course the big ones, Beethoven, Bach and Mozart. Lately I've been drawn to many Russian composers like Stravinsky, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov and Prokofiev. Too bad it's so hard to find any recordings of their music in any stores where I live.

Florian

Post by Florian » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:01 pm

stratoplayer wrote:I actually (try) to play his interpretation of Presto....
Yes, it's not easy...

I also like Paganini (everybody knows the Caprice 24), Bach (the part in Strato's Will The Sun Rise for example :D ) and more but no more names come to my mind (or my brain :D ).

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:17 am

I don't listen to classic music regularly, only through YouTube or through my Yamaha DGX-230. :-)

I'm a huge fan of the romantic era. If by classic music you guys mean music from the classic period, I'm somewhat off-topic here. :D

I love Liszt. Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 is fantastic indeed. His Paganini etudes are wonderful as well (La Campanella rocks), and Liebestraum is simply amazing. I love how he seemingly

I also love Chopin's works. I'd highlight Fantasie Impromptu, his Nocturne Op. 9, 27, the Minute Waltz and the Grand Valse Brillante. And Ballade no. 1, of course.

Beethoven is also among my favorite composers. I love the Moonlight Sonata, the Tempest Sonata and the Pathetique Sonata, for instance.

I love some Debussy pieces, but can't stand some others. Clair de Lune, Reverie and Arabesque are my favorites.

I like Brazilian piano music (not classic music by any definition, but worth mentioning in this thread), but not as much. My favorite Brazilian composer is Ernesto Nazareth. I like Brejeiro and Odeon. I don't like Villa Lobos at all, by the way.

I also like ragtime music, but I don't know much about it. Scott Joplin is great.

For some reason I don't like Mozart and Bach much.

lalodrums2

Post by lalodrums2 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:49 am

Bethoven rules!

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:09 pm

lalodrums2 wrote:Bethoven rules!
dito :)

and Debussy is also one of my favs at the moment

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Whatever happened to hiro23?
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Neonvomit:I'm still here, it's just that due to circumstances involving work and bills I haven't been able to get on the forum much.

My plans are still the same, I just have to find a way to start making some more money so that I don't get kicked out of my house LOL
metal feeds the beast

pneumonia

Post by pneumonia » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:09 pm

SURE!
A always thought that Strato was very inspired by classical music (just like one said Will the Sun Rise). My favorites are piano and violin concertos from XIX century (Brahms, Schumann, Mendelsohn) and early XX (Prokofiew, Shostakovich, Mussorgski). But also I listen to Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven (espacially the latter's piano sonatas).
I agree that a lot musical ideas in metal are from Vivaldi (especially Four Seasons)
I recomend Victor Smolski "Majesty and Passion" if someone want to hear some Bach in his arrangements

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:50 pm

Yngwie's concerto in Eb minor! lol that may or may not count.

Mendelsohn rules, Paganini, Liszt, Handell, Bach, Vivaldi, bah too many good composers.

I like John Cage. :fail: (Don't listen to John Cage or you will demand your time back)