Overrated metalbands

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Stratofanius
Overrated metalbands

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:20 pm

Well, what you think, which metalbands are overrated?

My opinion:

Metallica.
Even it isn't metal (it's rock) and so many people says "its metal", this band is overrated and anyway, I hate this band.

Nightwish.
I think that their music is just good, but quite overrated.

There are so many others, but I can't remember them now...

EDIT: I fixed some mistakes.

Mormegil

Re: Overrated metalbands

Post by Mormegil » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:36 pm

Metallica is not metal? :D Though I don't really like them either, they are one of the most "metal" bands in the world among Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.
I agree with Nightwish though (at least with their latest works). They are not the first rock/metal band to use symphony orchestra like so many people seem to think. :roll:

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:56 pm

Metallica is one of the classic metal bands, whether you want it or not.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:57 pm

True, but I definately agree that they're overrated.
What do you call a German virgin?
Guttenteit.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:08 pm

I've always thought that Judas Priest are overrated. They are classic too, but I've never found anything interesting in their music, except for couple of songs ...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:21 pm

Metallica aren't overrated. Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning are two of the finest albums ever created.

Nightwish are overrated. I really like them, really I do, but i still think that.

Dream Theater are overrated as well. Sure they can play most other bands under the table in terms of technique, but in terms of songwriting they're way too unfocused in my mind.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:40 pm

You created a monster ;)

Metallica, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica, Thunderstone (and all those melodic clones), Within Temptation, Children Of Bodom, Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, Judas Priest, Manowar, Brainstorm, Rhapsody, Luca Turilli, Avantasia, Edguy... and so on

I like most of those bands, i just think that they are often way overhyped, Brainstorm for example are really a good band, but i wouldnt consider their albums to be classics... and i totally agree about Judas Priest, who never came even close to Iron Maiden.

All imo of course ;)
Delusions Of Grandeur

Veripalttu

Post by Veripalttu » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:51 pm

Overrated, underrated?
One schmuck likes, the other schmuck doesn't and the third idiot couldn't care less.
Thunderstone overrated? that's interesting, they aren't that popular.

I think Iron Maiden is slightly overrated, not the live act but the music.
I haven't killed him yet sir,
But when I do, I shall have the stomach and the liver too,
And the floppily doppilies in their horrid glue.

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:48 pm

Children Of Bodom

Led Zeppelin

As far as classic/not classic/whatever goes: Anyone can say that they don't like the music of (insert band here), but if (refer to slot A) makes 20,000 kids decide they want to learn to play guitar, who can argue with that? And i hate to admit it, but that applies to Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park, and all that other crap too. Every single person owns a different reality (ad Motograter). ;)

And Rhapsody is only legendary because they say they are. mightyrhapsody.com? Come ON! :lol: So if they're overrated it's their own fault.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

ElDiablo

Post by ElDiablo » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:18 pm

This one is easy: Iron Maiden.
I mean they are quite good in my opinnion, but the fuzz and all that hype. Or maybe it's just the "fans" that create the bad image.
'Religion is the most malevolent of all mind viruses' - Arthur C. Clarke

antonio

Post by antonio » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:27 pm

rhapsody, sonata arctica
Rock and Roll.

Electric Eye

Post by Electric Eye » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:19 pm

Stratofanius wrote:Even it isn't metal (it's rock) and so many people says "its metal", this band is overrated and anyway, I hate this band.
you know, St.Anger is not their debut.
So where does the power come from to see the race to its end?
From within.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:38 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
Metallica.
Even it isn't metal (it's rock) and so many people says "its metal", this band is overrated and anyway, I hate this band.
Ok. Get 'Ride The Lightning', plug your headphones in and turn to full volume, and dare to say that it's not metal. One of the top 5 metal albums ever produced. As a matter of fact, listen to 'Kill Em All', 'Ride The Lightning' and 'Master of Puppets' one after one and say ANY of them aren't incredibly good.

Before you say how much you dislike a band, listen to more than just their last album, ok?

Even though I dislike Korn, Limp Bizkit and Sum 41, I actually made an effort to listen to some of their other stuff. I borrowed CDs, downloaded a few tracks from each album. The first Korn album wasnt actually that bad, actually had some catchy moments, but they hit rock bottom afterwards. Limp Bizkit was, unfortunately, awful from the start. And Sum 41 actually have a few decent tracks as well. I was surprised, and learnt a lot from the experience.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:46 pm

Mmm, my points are here:

1.- Metallica used to be a great metal band, not an overrated one until the Black Album came out. Fortunately for ones unfortunately for other, they are quite far away from being a metal band nowadays.

2.- Nightwish...mmm, i think they have great and interesting things, specially when i listen to Oceanborn and Wishmaster, but i agree they are a little bit overrated.

3.- Judas Priest, well, here i can tell so much because i never found things that could make me catch my attention. IMHO they are QUITE overrated.

4.- Someone said that Black Sabbath and Judas Priest were metal bands. Here i can only say that Judas is absolutely a heavy metal band...but Black Sabbath is not....they are a classic rock band, that influenced many other in the creation of metal, but Zeppelin and Sabbath are not METAL bands.

Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange » Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:55 pm

Iron Maiden is overrated. The music is good, but they're a better live band. I think the same goes for Metallica, though I've never seen them live, except for the live videos.

Rhapsody is good, but call me back when they manage to get a full symphonic orchestra with them on stage, only then will their live performanc be as good as their albums.

Slayer is far from overrated, they're on of the few original thrash bands that still plays more or les the same way as they did before (with the exception of Reign In Blood - I don't think they'll ever surpass that album's genious).

All nu-metal bands as Limp Bizkit, Korn and Linkin Park are highly overrated IMO, they're even straying farther away from the 'metal tree' as I type this.

But, it eventually all boils down to another person's opinion with questions such as this.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:31 pm

Sonata Arctica, they do make great ballads (like Shy for example) but as soon as Portimo comes in with his double-bass, it's just lame.

Nightwish, good band, thay also have great songs but they have a lot of bad ones.

Judas Priest, Dragonforce, Edguy and all their clones, Within Temptation.

And to NeonVomit who says Dream Theater has poor songwriting, listen to Images And Words or Awake albums. Listen to Another Day, Surrounded, Metropolis Pt. 1, Wait For Sleep, Learning To Live, Lie, The Mirror, Space-Dye Vest... Those are among the most brillant songs ever composed imo. SDV especially is an OUTSTANDING piece of music. In fact, I think DT are way underrated, they're not appreciated half as much as they would deserve. They are the only metal band I know that didn't ever release a 'poor' or even an 'OK' song, all theirs are at least very good.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:42 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:Sonata Arctica, they do make great ballads (like Shy for example) but as soon as Portimo comes in with his double-bass, it's just lame.
Oh, such blasphemy.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

Painless_Cry

Post by Painless_Cry » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:46 am

RHAPSOSY!!

oh my god they aren't creative... just 20 min songs! and talking about swords, dragons, kings... that's too boring (well turilli has a good voice, and the intrusmental part is asweone)

sonata artica: I never liked them to much but they seem to be getting more original and less strato rip off

not nightwish... but Tarja herself is a little bit overrated

Sknight2112

Post by Sknight2112 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:48 am

I like Sum41 alright, i have thier first album from back when i was into whatever the radio told me was cool....

But definately Metallica is #1 on the list of overrated, and believe me, i HAVE heard them. Until recently, here in San Jose 92.3 on the radio was KSJO AKA the Metallica/ AC/DC station, they even had a 'Manditory Metallica' program every night...

They ahve a few pretty good songs but I just dont really like most of them.

I think Demons and Wizards is overrated aswell. I like it but like I was expeting it to be the greatest thing ever in the history of music when I heard who was in it. I would rather listen to just Iced Earth or Blind Guardian.
United metallians ready to strike!!!!

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:13 am

HvyMtlClickWitch wrote:And Rhapsody is only legendary because they say they are. mightyrhapsody.com? Come ON! :lol: So if they're overrated it's their own fault.
Same goes for Manowar :D
'Hail To England' booklet wrote:We are MANOWAR, we are Invincible.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:12 am

Sonata Arcttica in my opinion, is a great and creative band, i like their style (i know someone will say "style? they are a strato rip-off") and they are just getting better day by day, and i don't know why paying too much attention in Portimo's double bass, when tha major scene is about double bass, and he plays them so good?!?!?!?!

Two other bands that deserve all my respect are Symphony X and Dream Theatre...they are really far away from the overrated list of bands.

But, if you want a super overrated band: CRADLE OF FILTH :lol:

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:31 am

neonlightchild wrote:CRADLE OF FILTH :lol:
Why? They can play their instruments, their songs have a great songwriting and atmosphere and the lyrics are very good too... they dont even need their stupid image. My opinion of course.... its surely a band that gets bashed way to often.

This thread has some kind of explosive potential 8) :wink:
Delusions Of Grandeur

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:07 am

Even though I dislike Korn, Limp Bizkit and Sum 41, I actually made an effort to listen to some of their other stuff. I borrowed CDs, downloaded a few tracks from each album. The first Korn album wasnt actually that bad, actually had some catchy moments, but they hit rock bottom afterwards. Limp Bizkit was, unfortunately, awful from the start. And Sum 41 actually have a few decent tracks as well. I was surprised, and learnt a lot from the experience.
IMO KORN's first album is a masterpiece, very original and twisted stuff, too bad their other albums can't even get close to it ...

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:50 pm

How the HELL can you people call bands like Iron Maiden and Judas Priest overrated? They were one of the founders of metal, the genre that all of you like. It's ok not to like them but to call them overrated... :roll:
Painless_Cry wrote:RHAPSOSY!!

oh my god they aren't creative... just 20 min songs! and talking about swords, dragons, kings... that's too boring (well turilli has a good voice, and the intrusmental part is asweone)
1) It's "Rhapsody", not "Rhapsosy"
2) Rhapsody isn't creative? They were the ones who started the whole symphonic mighty warrior -power metal, which has then been copyed by several other bands.
3) So far they have only made one 20 min. song and they don't have those 10 min. songs more than for example Stratovarius.
4) Luca Turilli isn't the singer, Fabio Lione is. Turillli is guitarist.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:08 pm

MaFiaBoY wrote: And to NeonVomit who says Dream Theater has poor songwriting, listen to Images And Words or Awake albums. Listen to Another Day, Surrounded, Metropolis Pt. 1, Wait For Sleep, Learning To Live, Lie, The Mirror, Space-Dye Vest... Those are among the most brillant songs ever composed imo. SDV especially is an OUTSTANDING piece of music. In fact, I think DT are way underrated, they're not appreciated half as much as they would deserve. They are the only metal band I know that didn't ever release a 'poor' or even an 'OK' song, all theirs are at least very good.
Again, this comes to opinion. I own I&W, Awake, Falling into Infinity and 6 degrees. You know what? I enjoy them, and listen to them fairly regularly. Especially Falling Into Infinity. But I can't listen to them for hours straight like some people do... its just too unfocused and meandering for my taste. I didn't say 'poor' i said unfocused because as a musician myself I think they use too many ideas in their songs insead of expanding and developing a few. They use too many ingredients for the soup, as a saying in Greek goes.

Put it short, after listening to them for a certain amount of time, I get bored. 'Yes, I know you can play amazingly well, that's very nice, now give us a good tune!' is something that runs through my mind a lot when listening to Scenes from a Memory and train of thought (I borrowed them from a friend, and consequentially didn't buy them myself because i didnt like them)

I have tremendous respect for them as musicians. (even though as a bassist myself I still think Jari is better than John Myung :D) I&W and Awake are both awsome records. (I think Kevin Moore had a lot to do with making them that good) and Falling Into Infinity is my favourite by them, simply because it's the most in-your-face headbangable kickass one. It's the most METAL (and Glass Prison on 6 degrees is my favourite song of theirs from any other record, for the same reason) and although i do love variety in metal (and any music i listen to, as a matter of fact), too much is almost as bad as none at all.

So yeah. You get my point.

Leo

Post by Leo » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:11 pm

I don't like people that say that they listen to metal and that they listen to are band like Linken Park and that sort of crap......
But I don't think Iron Maiden is so very more metal band.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:17 am

Leo wrote:I don't like people that say that they listen to metal and that they listen to are band like Linken Park and that sort of crap......
Ok. Go and listen to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Say that's not metal.

Veripalttu

Post by Veripalttu » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:38 am

Are we getting to the true metal thing again?
I haven't killed him yet sir,
But when I do, I shall have the stomach and the liver too,
And the floppily doppilies in their horrid glue.

fifthtea_sausage

Post by fifthtea_sausage » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:38 am

Overrated metal bands?
HAMMERFALL.
I almost threw up when I heard their Helloween "I Want Out" cover.
Their regular stuff is too cheesy, I just don't like it.
Sure you can say they aren't that popular but I think they don't deserve even that.

GREENDAY doesn't count as metal, so I will not speak out against them...here.

I don't really like DREAM THEATER much. I don't know, Petrucci is awesome, but I just can't get into the songs like with Sonata/Strato/Symphony X.
"Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung." - Voltaire (1694-1778)

Dawn_is_Here

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:02 am

NeonVomit wrote:
Leo wrote:I don't like people that say that they listen to metal and that they listen to are band like Linken Park and that sort of crap......
Ok. Go and listen to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. Say that's not metal.
Saying that Iron Maiden is not Metal is the worst metal-blasphemy ever! :x