What professional sports teams do you follow?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Jester
What professional sports teams do you follow?

Post by Jester » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:05 am

This forum has members from all over the world so I am curious to hear all of your stories about your favorite team(s). Please share. I love sports.

Being originally from Cleveland Ohio, I am a crazy Cleveland Browns fan. There are no fans in American football like Browns fans. We are the rowdiest, loudest, and craziest fans in the States. They have had to stop games because of fan behavior only three times in the 85 year history of the National Football League, and each time it was in Cleveland! The last incident came about three years ago when the fans were throwing full and half full beer bottles out of the upper deck at the referees. We are passionate to say the least. I have a friend here from England and he thinks we compare to the rowdy fans of Manchester United. I take that as a compliment!

Living in Orlando I am also an Orlando Magic basketball fan. I go to a lot of the games even though they stink. I did hear though that Shaquille O'Neal wants to play his last couple of years here when he is done in Miami. We haven't been the same since he left.

Those are mine, I am interested to hear yours.

Jesse

Equinox

Re: What professional sports teams do you follow?

Post by Equinox » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:06 pm

I am a Yankee fan. 8)
And Patriots too.
And Manchester U.
And the Juventus....

And shits like that.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:47 am

I used to be an Arsenal fan, but now i don't like football.

Also me is a BMW Williams F1 fan, although they suck.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:56 am

Now I follow Forma-1, and mostly McLaren and Renault... my all time favourites. I follow waterpolo as well, as Hungary is the best in the World (having won all that counts)... both women and men. But I follow the men more.

I used to follow football as well, but Hungarian soccer sucks hard, and I'm not interested in the CL anymore. I watch the World an Euro Cups.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:47 pm

I follow Sao Paulo football club and PSV Eindhoven.

Also...im used to watch some NFL and NHL games...i really like the San Jose Sharks and Jets(a little).
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:29 pm

I used to follow Formula 1 really avidly a few years back, but then since Michael Schumacher and Ferrari kept winning all the time I got bored. But this season's been really exciting, great to see all the other teams rising again. Its good to see Renault getting the credit they deserve, I've always thought they were a great team. I'm with McLaren, but that's because I support Juan Pablo Montoya, since I'm Colombian myself!

And I support Liverpool in football. Always have, since i was like 5 or something. Had a few great seasons with Houllier managing, but last season was totally unexpected. I couldn't describe how i felt when we won the Champions' League!! It was unbelievable, and the match itself was nerve-wracking, one of the best CL finals ever.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Hades

Post by Hades » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:09 pm

:idea: I follow River Plate Atletic Club of Argentina!!!!
"And the curtains are falling and the legions are calling tonight"

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:31 pm

lets see, i like the milan and manchester soccer teams
YANKEES!! WOOT WOOT, i used to live in NYC
Ferrari (liked them since before shumacher started to win, again and again)
i watch the wrc but dont particualrly root for anyone, maybe peter solberg and subaru
i watch the superbowl, the world series, the champions leage (when i get the time) and the world cup, other than that i just look at the papers, un less there is a really good game going on
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:37 pm

I don't "follow" anything, but I have this FC Barcelona shirt. Great shirt, but I don't care about the team.

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:46 pm

stratoplayer wrote:YANKEES!! WOOT WOOT, i used to live in NYC
NYC and the Yanks rule. 8)

Go Team. :D

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Formula 1 teams... McLaren, Ferrari (yes, they are good sometimes :P and there is one of my favourite drivers, Rubens Barrichello...) and Minardi ( :lol: I'll hope that sometime they get some points too :D )

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:30 pm

Stratofanius wrote:Formula 1 teams... McLaren, Ferrari (yes, they are good sometimes :P and there is one of my favourite drivers, Rubens Barrichello...) and Minardi ( :lol: I'll hope that sometime they get some points too :D )
next season, Rubens on BAR man.

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:49 pm

StragOvariuS wrote:next season, Rubens on BAR man.
It's not clear yet... and if he go, I'm glad, because Schumacher is the "first-driver" at Ferrari and they don't trust Barrichello's "powers"... :o

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:41 am

Stratofanius wrote:
It's not clear yet... and if he go, I'm glad, because Schumacher is the "first-driver" at Ferrari and they don't trust Barrichello's "powers"... :o
He's only the 'first driver' cos he's done better at the start of the season, if Barrichello finishes above Michael in the first few races then he would get 'first driver' position.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:18 pm

htcdude wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:
He's only the 'first driver' cos he's done better at the start of the season, if Barrichello finishes above Michael in the first few races then he would get 'first driver' position.
No... I think that Schumacher's "first driver" position has been there few years... :cry: And does anybody remember that one race some years ago? Barrichello has to loose his win to Schumacher because Ferrari order to him...

stratotassos

Post by stratotassos » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:53 pm

PANATHINAIKOS from Athens Greece

Hellovarius the Simp

Post by Hellovarius the Simp » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:21 pm

Seattle SuperSonics (NBA)
PMFC (Borsodi Liga) - Hungarian football league
Kantavár Kiránduló Kör (My hiking team)
Nothing to say.

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:53 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
htcdude wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:
No... I think that Schumacher's "first driver" position has been there few years... :cry: And does anybody remember that one race some years ago? Barrichello has to loose his win to Schumacher because Ferrari order to him...
In Austria? (i think so) Well...that was a SHAME! dont know, but here in Brazil people didnt liked that, also, he doesnt have a cool reputation here. We're used to see Senna running to won the race, not to see a driver running to "guarantee" the first drive victory...thats fucked up.

And, Rubens NEVER will be the first driver of Ferrari, would be great, because he is a great professional, i know, but there...no way. I remember when he left Jordan, he was warned by mr. Jordan(i dont remember exactly his name, sorry) that he would be the sheep of Ferrari and never could run to be a champion...never. So...thats pretty bad to him. Its sick see the jokes here about his carreer.

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:16 pm

I follow an Ice hokey team Jokerit from Helsinki, but I'm not a big "fan" of them, I just like to see how they play. I watched the Formula 1 Grand-Prix of Hungary but mostly I don't watch F1. NHL is cool, my favorit team is Calgary Flames, shame that they didn't win the cup in 2003. FC Barcelona is cool, and the German Schalke. :D
The oldest radio rock station Radio City quit 12-8-2006 :(

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:00 pm

htcdude wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:
I just read from finnish sport news that Barrichello moves out from Ferrari next year and Massa goes to Ferrari... well, great that maybe now he has new possibilitys to win races if he goes to BAR.
I hope so! :bigok:

MetalManiac

Post by MetalManiac » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:27 pm

I follow F1 and McLaren actively. This season has been great if compared to the last of them. Now the teams are pretty well balanced and Schumacher is out from the struggle for championship. It's a real shame McLaren has still had some reliability problems. And I hope Minardi could make their car better.
Stratofanius wrote: I just read from finnish sport news that Barrichello moves out from Ferrari next year and Massa goes to Ferrari... well, great that maybe now he has new possibilitys to win races if he goes to BAR.
I hope so! :bigok:
Well, I personally don't think Barrichello has many possibilities for winning races in BAR, judging from BAR's perfomance this far. They have been pretty goog, but maybe not good enough. But after all, who knows? We'll see it next year.
But Massa to Ferrari? Gee...
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning."

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:17 am

Well, it doesn't look like Shaq will ever be coming back to Orlando. I just saw on ESPN that Shaq just signed a 10 year/ $100 million dollar contract with the Miami Heat. If he plays all 10 years, which I doubt, that would make him then a 20 year veteran in the NBA. Guys can play a long time, but guys that are 7ft tall and weigh 320 lbs....not likely. So much for that.

I see a lot of Racing and Hockey fans here. The Racing that is most popular here in the States is NASCAR, which I am not a big fan of. F1 and Indy car seem a lot more challenging, and is more fun to watch even though I don't really follow them extensively.

This brings me to a couple of questions.

1.) What do you think of Indy car driver Danica Patrick?

2.) What do you think of the NHL strike?

3.) In the U.S. we have a big controversy over the use of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs in professional sports, particularly Baseball. I know the shadow of these drugs has touched the Olympics in recent years. What are your opinions of these drugs?

I think Danica Patrick is a major hottie. The fact that she actually CAN compete on a professional level makes her even more attractive to me, and worthy of respect. She is not just a pretty face that gets a lot of camera time, like Anna Kournikova was to Tennis a few years back.

NHL players should be ashamed of themselves. In my opinion these men get paid millions of dollars to play a game. There are people in parts of the world who eat once a week if they are lucky, and sleep on dirt floors. There have been strikes and lock-outs in the NFL, Major League Baseball, NBA, and NHL. It makes me sick. Grow up, shut up, and play.

I think all those found to be guilty of using performance enhancing drugs should be, at the very least, stricken from the record books in their respective sport. The reason being that they are breaking records, and times set by athletes who set them honestly. It pisses on the legacy of great athletes who worked hard(er) to achieve whatever level they got to.

These are my opinions, let me hear yours. Also, feel free to ask me any questions you may think of.

Jesse

Painless_Cry

Post by Painless_Cry » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:26 am

I looove soocer

I support manchester utd, internazionale, juventus, bayer leverkusen... and olimpia in paraguay :D

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:24 am

Mmmm, lots of people follow many teams but few people follow their city's or neighbourhood's team. Many fans look abroad to the "big" teams instead of supporting their local team. I'm not saying this is bad, but local teams have a special, "home" feeling.

Anyways, my one and only true love is River Plate (my avatar is the team's logo).
I also cheer for and follow Palermo, and yes I want them to win everything they can, but still, my love for River is unchallengeable.

I also follow tennis, but there are no teams there, except for the Davis Cup :D . I always check on Coria, Gaudio, Nalbandián, Puerta, Zabaleta, Cañas, Mónaco, Chela, etc.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:13 pm

MetalManiac wrote:I follow F1 and McLaren actively. This season has been great if compared to the last of them. Now the teams are pretty well balanced and Schumacher is out from the struggle for championship. It's a real shame McLaren has still had some reliability problems. And I hope Minardi could make their car better.
I'm sure that Schumacher will come back and win races... like at last race he was very good. And yes, shame that McLaren has reliability problems, like last year :err: . And Indianapolis's race was good, because Jordan and Minardi got some points :D Minardi is cool! And it's positive, that first time ever (maybe) they are little faster sometimes than Jordan. Maybe this is the sign of new good future.
MetalManiac wrote:But Massa to Ferrari? Gee...
I'm sure that it's wrong move to Ferrari. They should take Zsolt Baumgartner :lol:

Pikkusielu

Post by Pikkusielu » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:35 pm

Karthikeyan is the next champ, I'm sure about that! Ferrari should notice that Karthikeyan has this certain potential and skill and he should be transferred to Ferrari before someone else notices it.

(:lol:)

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:26 pm

Jester wrote: I see a lot of Racing and Hockey fans here. The Racing that is most popular here in the States is NASCAR, which I am not a big fan of. F1 and Indy car seem a lot more challenging, and is more fun to watch even though I don't really follow them extensively.
NASCAR, yeah...i really liked watch! too bad that i dont have cable TV or DirecTv(but i still haveing their equipment :D) Last season that i saw was in 2003.

Indy is more cool than F1, its a looot better...we can see some competition there and in F1, dont know...seems more artificial, much more after that race on Austria.
This brings me to a couple of questions.

1.) What do you think of Indy car driver Danica Patrick?
She rule! I never saw a woman on Indy or F1 and thats cool, she really know how to run...isnt only there for fashion. I didnt saw the last races, i need watch them, also im a Tony Kanaan fan.
2.) What do you think of the NHL strike?

I dont watch NHL since 2000 unfornatelly. But, i didnt know these facts...but i read what you said...so, thats a shame.
3.) In the U.S. we have a big controversy over the use of steroids and other performance enhancing drugs in professional sports, particularly Baseball. I know the shadow of these drugs has touched the Olympics in recent years. What are your opinions of these drugs?
I think if you use steroids out of sports with control, you can get some good results, but in sports i think its still illegal. I know in bodybuilding you cant find any guy that didnt took it, but there is needed. On other sports arent right, its totally unfair, you that spend years in hard training to "try" win the competition with a doped guy. Remember the Ben Johnson's case(its on olympics games, but its a classic example).

Heiserich

Post by Heiserich » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:13 pm

Stealth wrote:Mmmm, lots of people follow many teams but few people follow their city's or neighbourhood's team. Many fans look abroad to the "big" teams instead of supporting their local team. I'm not saying this is bad, but local teams have a special, "home" feeling.
Absolutely... I'm living very close to the stadium in my city, and right now, our football club (MSV Duisburg) has risen to the first Bundesliga. I hope, they will make it to stay there this time. And I hope, we gonna kick the ass of Bayern München in a few weeks :D

Although the chance is not really high... :?
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:11 pm

National.

Soccer: Aguilas del America
Football: Borregos Salvajes del CEM

International.

Soccer: Real Madrid and Inter de Milan
Football: Dallas Cowboys of course
:D
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:02 pm

Heiserich wrote:
Stealth wrote:Mmmm, lots of people follow many teams but few people follow their city's or neighbourhood's team. Many fans look abroad to the "big" teams instead of supporting their local team. I'm not saying this is bad, but local teams have a special, "home" feeling.
Absolutely... I'm living very close to the stadium in my city, and right now, our football club (MSV Duisburg) has risen to the first Bundesliga. I hope, they will make it to stay there this time. And I hope, we gonna kick the ass of Bayern München in a few weeks :D

Although the chance is not really high... :?
I follow my local team.

Yanks. 8)