George W. Bush has finally gone completely crazy.

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Heiserich
Re: George W. Bush has finally gone completely crazy.

Post by Heiserich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:39 pm

fifthtea_sausage wrote: And everyone thinks Bush is stupid, and yet he graduated from Yale with good grades, did good on the SAT's, etc. Thats more than most of you can ever boast. What to that?
Whether he studied or not, it's not that I think he's stupid. He's dangerous, because he's obviously a religious fanatic. Suspects are detained and tortured at Guantanamo, Bagram and Abu Graib without ever being charged for any crimes or without having an attorney ore something like that. They are deprived of their human rights, just because they are SUSPECTS. Torture and arbitrary detainment are the means by which George W. Bush and his government are pursuing the victory of democracy and human rights worldwide. Sounds pretty strange, doesn't it?
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:08 pm

fifthtea_sausage wrote: And everyone thinks Bush is stupid, and yet he graduated from Yale with good grades, did good on the SAT's, etc. Thats more than most of you can ever boast. What to that?
I don't want to get all off on a different subject, but there is a HUGE degree of difference between being a good student and being intelligent. School skills are far different from life skills.

I'll stick with Jesse. I agree with and wholly endorse everything he said. No one can have all the answers. And this topic is diminishing into nothing fast.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:18 pm

Now the White House denies Bush has ever said that, but the Palestinian Prime minister Mahmoud Abbas confirms... This is getting ridiculous.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle ... 322228.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4320586.stm
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:30 pm

Well, Medgyesi Péter, a former Prime Minister of Hungary graduated at a University, but still, he is so dumb as my ass.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Stratolily

Post by Stratolily » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:39 pm

Hey guys!:wink:
Don't lose tour precious time!
It's obviously that fifthea sassauge is gonna keep defending Bush...
And you know, it's ok. I can see that you'll keep thinking the same way even if that man destroy the world...

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:18 pm

everyone is free to defend its personal thoughts, if fifthea likes Bush, what is wrong with that? if i don't like Bush, what is wrong with that?
The hard points come when someone missrespects another one ideas, that's why this topic became a war among us.
If you want to be democrat so be it, if you don't, don't be it, as simple as that.
Nevertheless, i think every country has the goverment that deserves, what have you personally do to change the things you don't want?
The president is the one who represent you not only as a society but politically talking, the ones who really work for a nation is yourself, if "raw material" is bullshit, then the goverment is bullshit.

Personally, i like USA, i've been to USA many times and for long periods and people are nice, there are idiots everywhere, not only in USA.
I have also been to Italy, Spain, Greece, Uruguay, Argentina and Canada, due and i have no complains, (specially Spain and Greece, what a wonderful places, people are awesome) Humans can be extraordinaire persons if we want to...it is all up to you, don't blame your goverment, first, make a great introspection and see who you are and then ask yourself what good do you do to change things you dislike???

Be true.
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

shaz

Post by shaz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:04 pm

neonlightchild wrote:everyone is free to defend its personal thoughts, if fifthea likes Bush, what is wrong with that? if i don't like Bush, what is wrong with that?
The hard points come when someone missrespects another one ideas, that's why this topic became a war among us.
If you want to be democrat so be it, if you don't, don't be it, as simple as that.
Nevertheless, i think every country has the goverment that deserves, what have you personally do to change the things you don't want?
The president is the one who represent you not only as a society but politically talking, the ones who really work for a nation is yourself, if "raw material" is bullshit, then the goverment is bullshit.

Personally, i like USA, i've been to USA many times and for long periods and people are nice, there are idiots everywhere, not only in USA.
I have also been to Italy, Spain, Greece, Uruguay, Argentina and Canada, due and i have no complains, (specially Spain and Greece, what a wonderful places, people are awesome) Humans can be extraordinaire persons if we want to...it is all up to you, don't blame your goverment, first, make a great introspection and see who you are and then ask yourself what good do you do to change things you dislike???

Be true.
Well said.
"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself."
-Sir Richard Francis Burton

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:08 am

Stratolily wrote:Hey guys!:wink:
Don't lose tour precious time!
It's obviously that fifthea sassauge is gonna keep defending Bush...
And you know, it's ok. I can see that you'll keep thinking the same way even if that man destroy the world...
Right...

and you're cute. :D
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

Stratolily

Post by Stratolily » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:26 am

neonlightchild wrote:everyone is free to defend its personal thoughts, if fifthea likes Bush, what is wrong with that? if i don't like Bush, what is wrong with that?

Be true.
That's exactly why I said that it's ok that fifthea defends Bush. And what I said about losing our times trying to convince him/her was because obviously fifthea has an unchangeble opinion, just like mine.
That's all...
StragOvarius wrote:
Right...

Thanks! :D

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:10 am

Stratolily wrote:

Be true.
That's exactly why I said that it's ok that fifthea defends Bush. And what I said about losing our times trying to convince him/her was because obviously fifthea has an unchangeble opinion, just like mine.
That's all...
StragOvarius wrote:
Right...

Thanks! :D
That's the problem and the big mistake, trying to convince him/her, why to do that from the begining?

And yes, you're cute :)
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:28 am

Really, my main problems with George W. Bush are his environmental policies and how he has chosen to conduct the war on terror.

I believe I have explained my views on the war on terror at length in other topics, so here's the extremely short version:
By invading Iraq to get rid of non-existent WMDs, he and his cabinet has seriously undermined the war on terror, by diverting resources from Afghanistan, where US forces currently control Kabul and not much else. Most of the warlords who were in control prior to and during the Taliban reign are still in place.
No one is sad Saddam Hussein is gone, but it strikes me as slightly hypocritical to be for democracy and freedom in Iraq, while it's perfectly alright to have Uzbekistan, a brutal dictatorship if there ever was one, as an ally. Nevermind how cozy the Bush administration are with Saudi Arabia, which hardly is a beacon of democracy and liberty.
And nevermind the genocide in Sudan, where the international community (not just the US, mind you) haven't done shit. But fortunately, it seems like the genocide is winding down. Unfortunately, it's because they're running out of people to kill.
To me it suggests that spreading freedom and democracy around the world just isn't that high a priority as the Bush administration is claiming it to be.

Another problem with the Iraq invasion was the apparently non-existent postwar planning. The result being the mess that Iraq is today. And if it breaks in three (Iraq was an artificial country to begin with, keeping it together was always going to be hard) following a brutal civil war or if it turns into an Islamic dictatorship/Iran lite, a whole lot of American troops will have died for absolutely nothing. While I do support the idea of an independent Kurdish state, my fear is that will be extremely difficult to create such a state in a peaceful manner.
And yes, the systematic (and if you don't think it's systematic, you're kidding yourself) abuse of prisoners in Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo Bay and other places are extremely counterproductive. Torture has been proven not to produce reliable results, at a certain point a (potentially innocent) prisoner will say whatever he needs to say to make the torture stop.
Stalin was famous for staging trials where (mostly innocent) people were forced to confess. The Spanish Inquisition comes to mind as well. I would think the US military - and its commander-in-chief - would strive for higher standards than that. At least when trying to achieve such lofty and certainly laudable goals as spreading freedom and democracy.

There, the was the extremely short version. One could of course add some critique of the Bush and Clinton administrations for not paying enough attention to terrorism prior to 9/11 and panicky Orwellian measures such as the Patriot Act, but I can save that for another post.

Obviously a lot can be said about his other policies; his economic policies for example doesn't strike me as particularly sound. It seems a little backwards to lower taxes when you have an enormous deficit to pay off and out-of-control spending in general. Even his old pop had to raise taxes, so it's hardly unheard of.
And don't get me started on his anti-gay amendment. You'd think the Defense of Marriage Act was homophobic enough.

As for Bush's Christianity...out 43 American presidents, approximately 43 of them have been Christian, although perhaps not all as devoutly as Bush. I guess Mario Cuomo said it best:
"When Abraham Lincoln prayed, Lincoln talked to God. When George W. Bush prays, God talks to Bush."
I personally don't care about Bush's faith, but it does seem God has been giving lousy advice these past few years ;)

I don't dislike Bush as a person (don't know the guy, so how could I?), but I don't think he has been a good president.
Now, being a president certainly isn't an easy job, and you could probably name mistakes made by every president back to Washington.
But Bush has a few too many to be even remotely considered great.
His legacy, 30 years from now, will be "that guy that made Clinton look good by comparison."
Give me liberty, or give me cake!