Hip Hop

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
neonlightchild
Re: Hip Hop

Post by neonlightchild » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:37 pm

htcdude wrote:So are you saying Satriani etc aren't music then cos in most of their songs they don't sing.??
:lol:

i really don't have any problem with musical genres. If i don't like something i just don't give a damn about it and don't listen to it, it's simple, i don't need to say it is shit or judge if it's music or not.
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

Jester

Post by Jester » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:15 am

It's garbage. Thats my opinion and I could care less if any of you agree. I have many reasons for my opinion. Maybe if you walked a mile in my shoes, and seen some of the things I have seen, your perspective might change. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut and let everybody on this thread agree with eachother. :roll:

Jesse
"All people improve the gene pool, some by birth, some by their demise".

Piiuska

Post by Piiuska » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:36 pm

@Jester, actually you're wrong if you think you should shut up from your own opinion. The topic is to ask YOUR opinion, what do YOU think, and it's not meant everyone thinks the same. There're always as many opinions as people.

Myself I don't like hip hop, but my problem might be also that I haven't listened to it much. I think every music genre has something good and something bad. For ex. we love metal, but there're also bad stuff in it that we don't like. So.. I'm interested in hearing new stuffs, but at least until this day, I haven't heard great hip hop that I'd be crazy of.
Live for now, like there's no tomorrow.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:10 pm

Jester wrote:It's garbage. Thats my opinion and I could care less if any of you agree. I have many reasons for my opinion. Jesse
Narrowminded ! that's my opinion :lol:

nepi

Post by nepi » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:38 am

Jester wrote: I have many reasons for my opinion. Maybe if you walked a mile in my shoes, and seen some of the things I have seen, your perspective might change. :roll:
Jesse
What would we see?
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Jester

Post by Jester » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:20 am

First, one point I would like to make is this. I don't rip on something just because I don't like it. I don't like Country music, or Elvis, Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc, etc. These artists, type of music aren't my taste, but I don't rip into these things. Why? Because even though I don't like these types of music, I recognize their talent, and don't really feel that they have had a negative impact on society at large.

Here is how I feel Rap has negatively effected things

1. Rap glorifies violence, and other criminal activities. It also glorifies the abuse of Women both physically and verbally. Regardless of your position on Iraq, or any war, we all universally condemn war as being a terrible thing because people get killed. I say then, lets be consistent. People get killed every day doing the things these people glorify.

2. It further perpetuates a negative stereotype of Black people. This isn't just my opinion. Charles Barkley and Bill Cosby are just a few prominent Blacks that have come out and said these types of things. Cosby said this, "In the negative portrayal of young African-Americans, the Ku-Klux-Klan couldn't do a better job (than Rap music) if they tried."

3. It feeds the culture of hopelessness among the poor. By glorifying a criminal lifestyle it fosters the idea that the only way you can achieve things in life is to steal, sell drugs, kill, and run prostitution. My boss is a Black man. He grew up in a "bad neighborhood". He didn't give in to these trappings. He believed in himself, worked hard, and held his morals. He didn't get where he is today by accident. I also consider him a friend, probably the only person I seek out in the office when I need advice in dealing with things in my own life, I value his opinion. He agrees with these points too by the way.

4. It has helped foster a negative culture in professional sports. You have to follow sports to really get this one but if you do you know what I'm talking about.

I'm not saying that everyone who listens to it sucks, and will amount to nothing in life. I'm not calling for censorship. Rap isn't the only ingredient here but it does play a role. I believe that it capitalizes and preys on the very people it claims "help" .

This is my opinion, take it or leave it. I'm not NARROWMINDED, but I am certainly not NAIVE either.

Jesse
"All people improve the gene pool, some by birth, some by their demise".

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:32 am

Jester wrote:First, one point I would like to make is this. I don't rip on something just because I don't like it. I don't like Country music, or Elvis, Barry Manilow, The Carpenters, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc, etc. These artists, type of music aren't my taste, but I don't rip into these things. Why? Because even though I don't like these types of music, I recognize their talent, and don't really feel that they have had a negative impact on society at large.

Here is how I feel Rap has negatively effected things

1. Rap glorifies violence, and other criminal activities. It also glorifies the abuse of Women both physically and verbally. Regardless of your position on Iraq, or any war, we all universally condemn war as being a terrible thing because people get killed. I say then, lets be consistent. People get killed every day doing the things these people glorify.

man, you should take a listen to cannibal corpse, dying fetus and carcass :D

2. It further perpetuates a negative stereotype of Black people. This isn't just my opinion. Charles Barkley and Bill Cosby are just a few prominent Blacks that have come out and said these types of things. Cosby said this, "In the negative portrayal of young African-Americans, the Ku-Klux-Klan couldn't do a better job (than Rap music) if they tried."

just because 3, 4, or 5000 people say it it doesn't mean it's the truth, but i got your point here

3. It feeds the culture of hopelessness among the poor. By glorifying a criminal lifestyle it fosters the idea that the only way you can achieve things in life is to steal, sell drugs, kill, and run prostitution. My boss is a Black man. He grew up in a "bad neighborhood". He didn't give in to these trappings. He believed in himself, worked hard, and held his morals. He didn't get where he is today by accident. I also consider him a friend, probably the only person I seek out in the office when I need advice in dealing with things in my own life, I value his opinion. He agrees with these points too by the way.

at least that's the feeding in america, but there's also rap in spain and in the whole world with diferent ideologies

4. It has helped foster a negative culture in professional sports. You have to follow sports to really get this one but if you do you know what I'm talking about.

agree

I'm not saying that everyone who listens to it sucks, and will amount to nothing in life. I'm not calling for censorship. Rap isn't the only ingredient here but it does play a role. I believe that it capitalizes and preys on the very people it claims "help" .

This is my opinion, take it or leave it. I'm not NARROWMINDED, but I am certainly not NAIVE either.

i take it, and the narrowminded thing was just a joke, take it or leave it :wink: :D