Nightwish's news

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Stealth
Nightwish's news

Post by Stealth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:18 am

http://www.nightwish.com/

So, news about the search for a new vocalist. I've been disappointed with Nightwish for quite a while now. As part of the "obvious" things they are looking for, they mention looks. Why the hell is it obvious that the new singer has to look nice? What do you guys think about this? Nightwish has been getting more commercial with each new album (not to mention that ridiculous and unnecessary updated version of Sleeping Sun's video). Why can't they focus on the new singer's voice? It seems like they are looking for a new poster-girl. Just to give an example, Sonia Pineault of Forgotten Tales is not a supermodel, she's simply average in terms of looks, but hell, she's an excellent singer! She has a lot of strength!
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

MaFiaBoY

Re: Nightwish's news

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:26 am

I'm not saying anything about this until I hear how the new vocalist sounds like.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:36 am

Well, of course she can be an awesome singer AND have the looks. My point is that I see no reason why looks should be an "obvious" prerequisite.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:44 am

yeah, it's a possibility, but that's the way thing have been working for a long while, and nightwish is not the only example, many people here could kill for this, but stratovarius is going that comercial way somehow. And it is pretty fair, if they are happy and true, then so be it. But the point you say about Nightwish is really dissapointing.
There are many bands that don't surprise me anymore (well, they do, but not anymore in musical matters), and i won't be surpised if the new Nightwish's singer is a tragically cute EMO girl who sings average :roll:
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:12 am

The thing with Nightwish is that I don't think they are true to themselves. Another example is that pop-sounding song they recorded for that awful awful movie called Alone in the Dark, "Wish I Had an Angel". Those drums sound very appropriate for night clubs.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:21 am

Wish I Had An Angel is one of the (few, unfortunately) highlights of Once. If you're too narrow-minded to bear hearing anything but the plastic Karmila sounds, that's definitely not Nightwish's fault.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:26 am

Ok, first of all, I think Wish I Had an Angel is one of the worst songs in the album. Secondly, it has nothing to do with being narrow-minded. It can be different and good, but this, at least for me, is not the case. I'm just talking about this particular example; change can be good of course.

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:28 am

Stealth wrote:Another example is that pop-sounding song they recorded for that awful awful movie called Alone in the Dark, "Wish I Had an Angel". Those drums sound very appropriate for night clubs.
I agree. Just the fact that my bro (who's into 80's pop) likes WIHAN scares me. And the fact that they put looks before charisma. But hey, I don't really care of how the ppl in the band look like, or if they are pop-ular. I just care about if I like the music they do or not. All the other stuff, isn't necessary.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:45 am

Exactly. And to me WIHAA is one of the few songs on Once I enjoy listening.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:51 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:Wish I Had An Angel is one of the (few, unfortunately) highlights of Once. If you're too narrow-minded to bear hearing anything but the plastic Karmila sounds, that's definitely not Nightwish's fault.
:? the plastic Karmila's sound? plastic? then Hammerfall and Nightwish's "Once" is pure latex my friend !!! :lol:

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:53 am

hmmm Know The Difference ?

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:57 am

about...?

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:59 am

Man that song is 100% Karmila plastic, just listen the keys and drums sound, it's laughable !

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:05 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:Man that song is 100% Karmila plastic, just listen the keys and drums sound, it's laughable !
oh sure, hehe, now i get you, yeah, that's so plastic indeed.
And i didn't say "Once" is a cheesy album nor bad, it is just an EMO highlight, you can judge by the kind of audience it is orientated, regular EMO kids who think Dany Filth is the sexiest freak ever and the antichrist himself, and that HIM is the ultimate metal band ever.
There's a deep abyss between Wishmaster era and Once, when i play those past albums, i hear a hearfelt and sincere band, up to know i cannot be sure :roll:

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:17 am

Once is indeed not a good album but nor is Wishmaster (though both have a few great songs each). Century Child is definitely the one for me.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:54 am

For me, Oceanborn and Wishmaster were the peak of Nightwish's discography (especially Oceanborn). They peaked way too soon.

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:21 am

Oceanborn has indeed outstanding keys and vocals plus some cool guitar riffs here and there (Devil & The Deep Dark Ocean) ans Sleeping Sun which is one of the greatest metal ballads ever BUT it isn't as good as CC IMO, the drumming is repetitive and boring as hell and overall the album is too, all the songs feel a bit the same. While CC is more diverse and (once again my opinion) doesn't have a single damn weak thing in it, everything is how I think it should be.

nepi

Post by nepi » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:50 pm

The lows of Once for me are the last two songs, but they aren't as bad as other good songs from other bands.
And commercial or not: They play and write their songs still with much heart and kicks ass!!!! So it is everybody's own meaning about commercial or not...

but back to topic: I am a little wondering about good-looking is mentioned on first position. The most important thing should be the voice, 'aight?
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Painless_Cry

Post by Painless_Cry » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:44 pm

hmm well... cuz u know... Even Tarja turned out to be some kind of model with years... if u see AFF´s album pics... Tarja really looks bad... but well, tarja was the "face" of nightwish.. and she is considered like a metal sex symbol (not for me at least)

hmm i would love to participate hehehe

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Stealth wrote:For me, Oceanborn and Wishmaster were the peak of Nightwish's discography (especially Oceanborn). They peaked way too soon.
Those are the only Nigtwish albums I have and I have heard other songs but those were the best (possibly the only song that isn't there and I enjoy is End of All Hope which I love)
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:51 pm

Painless_Cry wrote:hmm i would love to participate hehehe
We would love it if you participate. :D
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:28 pm

Sexier singer means more sells. Therefore it is an obvious reason. They want money, and they need to sell.
"Mikor az utolsó véred is elfolyék,
S a tested is a porba hullék,
Akkor is van még remény,
Mert a lelked továbbra is él."

- Mark Swanson -
from the book, Nick's legend

Earl Grey

Post by Earl Grey » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:31 pm

I agree Nightwish is taking a more pop direction.
Nevertheless, they do have some good works.
I enjoy Century Child a lot.

It seems in my community the only finnish bands people know are either COB, HIM, or NW.
Angels Frying, Can't Bake No More...
Troll of the Year, 2005

Elazul

Post by Elazul » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:27 pm

Beast_Pete wrote:Sexier singer means more sells. Therefore it is an obvious reason. They want money, and they need to sell.
That sounds realistic for them and it defenitely shows their greed for money.
Pretty sad, because a few years ago you could somehow sense their love for their music and you also could see them laughing, joking and looking very happy on the stage, what ended unfortunately with the Once-Era.
Greed causes snootiness.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:54 pm

Elazul wrote:That sounds realistic for them and it defenitely shows their greed for money.
Pretty sad, because a few years ago you could somehow sense their love for their music and you also could see them laughing, joking and looking very happy on the stage, what ended unfortunately with the Once-Era.
Greed causes snootiness.
This is pretty much what I was referring to. :) I agree.

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:31 am

Oceanborn is a quite good album... I don't like rest NW albums very much (well, Wishmaster is kind of ok), and nowadays band is fucking commercial and making thousands singles of every song and making clones of every single and so on...
Once has one good song (Creek Mary's Blood). Rest of the songs are between "ok" and "really bad".

One of the reasons why I don't like NW is because their style isn't for me. Orchestra, too much used keyboards, opera singing... I don't like those things in heavy metal. And I don't really like Tarja Turunen's voice so much.

Anyway, Marco Hietala owns! :headbang: He sure has one of the greatest singing voices on Earth!

nepi

Post by nepi » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 am

I really don't think Nightwish will go a pop-way because they have written "Nemo" and "I wish...". Priests aren't a pop-group either after the song Turbo Lover...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Paola

Post by Paola » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:03 am

Well, In the moment what can I say?? about this topic.

Nightwith never will be like before, all the people know that. We have to wait the new vocalist but I can't see to Nightwish singing pop :?
Official hobbit of the Stratovarius forum...Relax guys, I don't find a ring...:wink: :lol:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:45 pm

Nightwish sell a lot, and a major selling point was Tarja's marketability. I think the management/record company is pushing them to accept someone into the band with the looks. I don't blame them. Record companies see bands as an investment and nothing more.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:25 am

Stealth wrote:Well, of course she can be an awesome singer AND have the looks. My point is that I see no reason why looks should be an "obvious" prerequisite.
i agree. when i read that i thought exactly the same thing... heh i bet they wouldn't say that if they were looking for a male band member.

so what if they find the most amazing replacement singer who musically and character-wise has all the right things, but isn't super-hot?
that's fucking lame.

i guess they want their international and commercial success to continue. a lot of that was because of tarja's look, i guess. still, i think that's fucking stupid and makes them a lot less credible and seem really vapid and superficial. for a band that has a lot of profound music (or so fans would probably think), that was a mistake to say that.

anyway, business is business, i guess... :?
neonlightchild wrote: i won't be surpised if the new Nightwish's singer is a tragically cute EMO girl who sings average :roll:
:lol:

Equinox wrote:. And the fact that they put looks before charisma.
heh yea, or even musical abilities...

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine