I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
User avatar
Lucid Faia
Sr. Member
Posts: 1148
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:18 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA

I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Lucid Faia » Wed May 17, 2006 7:49 am

Basically, I've had enough of overzealous lunatics, nonsensical and outdated fables and parables, and faith. I am an idealist; my whole perspective of life is to be a free mind and spirit. I even decided to take the name "Lucid" to demonstrate my endeavors to be an open-minded and rational being. I have found that these ideals don't mesh well with Christianity, which encourages elitism and ignorance. The lessons that the Bible tries to teach are repugnant and reek of the stupidity of early mankind. The Tower of Babel is a story that preaches that diversity is a bad thing. Sodom and Gomorrah is a story about how God destroyed a couple of cities because of the abundance of gay men in the cities. It's gotten to the point where many pastors teaching some kind of modern Christianity have decided to completely ignore some of the books of the Old Testament, because they know that what is said in them is complete horsewash. Denominations is another thing that has always bugged me; how am I supposed to believe in something when the most hardcore of believers can't even agree on the true meanings of the Bible? Denominations such as gay churches try and twist the words of the Bible to come up with new meanings that fit their lifestyles. The very first Commandment is, "Thou shalt not have any gods before me," and God himself even says in one of the books, "I am a jealous God." A couple of the events that are supposed to take place during the second coming of Christ are referred to as "The Wrath of the Lamb." We are taught that both God and Jesus Christ are perfect beings; "holy, holy, holy" in the words of the Bible. Yet we are taught that pride and wrath are among the worst of sins.

Clarity of thought has made me realize why I became a Christian in the first place. I didn't just decide to believe, in an effort to ease my sorrows or to fill the holes in my life, nor did I examine "evidence" that Christianity is the one, true religion, and decide to believe. I believed because I was born and raised a Christian, because I was told that Christianity was truth when I was too young to think otherwise, and I've "believed" ever since. I was baptized at a few weeks old, and even "saved" when I was a teenager. And for any smart-ass Christians out there preparing the "you don't believe, so you were never really saved" arguments, just save it. I've read and studied most of the Bible, have read literature about it, and I truly believed in it with all my heart for a long time. I'm seriously willing to bet that I'm more educated on these matters than anyone ready to say that to me. Trust me when I say that if I can turn, anyone can. Christianity hasn't done **** for me in my life. If anything, it's made my life worse. As a little boy, "turning the other cheek" didn't exactly do me any favors on the social scene, as I was considered a wimp, an idiot, and generally a lost cause for a long time. I shudder at the memory of asking my Dad if my Catholic grandfather was in hell, as well as other close-minded and embarrassing moments that I was taught by this "enlightening" religion. I particularly didn't enjoy being a part of the same group as some of the stupidest, most ignorant, most close-minded people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting in my life, something I'm sure even other Christians here would know all about. Some of you may recall me remarking in months past, "I love Jesus, but I hate his fanclub." How ignorant and elitist do you have to be to really believe that anyone with a different opinion on a certain matter is "dark-sided?" For those lucky enough to not know some of these people, simply refer to the Catholic church in the Dark Ages, and see how big of a joke that was. "Make a considerable donation, and we'll put in a good word for you with God and cleanse your sins... or else."

If it weren't for Jesus, the foundations of Christianity and perhaps even Judaism would have been treated like complete jokes by the majority of the world for a long time now. The only reason Christianity caught on in the first place was that it was a religion where anyone, regardless of gender or class, could be saved and live in happiness for eternity, which was very innovative at the time. Today, I consider Jesus to be an exceptionally bright philosopher, even if a little eccentric. Let's face it, "Love thy Neighbor" is good, modern philosophy, even if it did lead to people killing each other because they couldn't agree on how he said it. But I have to scoff at the idea of Jesus being the Son of God. And there's another thing; some sects of Christianity preach that Jesus is the Son of God. Others preach that Jesus IS God. And - get this - some think that Jesus is both God and the Son of God. How much sense does that make? So Jesus walks on water and people think it's a miracle. David Blaine has done some pretty otherworldly feats, yet I don't see anyone treating him like he is some kind of prophet.

People talk about how the Bible has "inspired" them, and that is why they believe. I've got news for you, the Bible is nothing but the greatest chain letter of all time. The very principles of Christianity work exactly the same way as an e-mail hoax. First, there's the hook, something to capture the reader's attention. It's either a sympathetic story (Jesus), a fantastic tale filled with marvels (the entire Old Testament), or the lure of money or some other source of happiness (Heaven). After the hook, you have the threat. Christianity is very big on threats. You don't have to read far into the Bible to reach God smiting unbelievers and sinners, a theme that continues up until the very end of the Bible, with the Book of Revelation, and the promise of eternal darkness and suffering for all eternity to anyone who chose not to believe in God and his Son. If that's not enough for you to agree, after the hook and the threat, you have the part where it says, "please pass this message on to everyone you know!" Good grief! If that doesn't scream, "chain letter," I don't know what does. Stupidity, dishonesty, hypocrisy. The three traits I hate the most are also the three most prevalent characteristics of the Bible and many of the Christians that follow it.

So, after deciding that the outdated "morals" of Christianity don't clash with my own, that I don't really believe in any of this crap (and I find it hard to believe how someone with an open mind can), and that Christianity has been more of a burden than a crutch to me, I've decided to just give up on it. Some may say that it's not important if the tales in the Bible are true or not, it's the impact they have on your life that matters. Well, the impact that this religion has had on my life has been 100% negative, which is even more of a reason for me to quit.

Summary:

/gquit

Lucid Faia has left the guild.
A Lucid Mind

User avatar
Stealth
Sr. Member
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Blah

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Stealth » Wed May 17, 2006 8:47 am

Well, some angry words aside, I agree with you. I've been an atheist all my life, and so I definitely agree with you in practically everything (again, leaving personal emotions aside).
Have you abandoned Christianity as an organized religion while still retaining belief in god or have you reached the conclusion that there is no god?

Btw, there's someone in this forum who will be really pissed about this topic. :wink: Fortunately, this is a harmless topic.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by NeonVomit » Wed May 17, 2006 2:05 pm

I've given up on Christianity as an organised religion as well. I still retain belief in some things, as I don't think science holds the answers to everything. Christianity however claims that science does not hold the answers to anything, which is simply blind and angers me no end. I fail to see how an adult who can function in a modern society can actually believe that the story of Noah's Ark could possibly be true as described in the Bible, or that the world was created 6000 years ago.

The Bible does contain much wisdom, but it also contains a lot of rubbish. It has been translated, mistranslated, retranslated, edited, re-edited and altered beyond recognition in some cases. It is mostly null and void.

I turned my back on all organised religions a while ago, and feel liberated.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

User avatar
stratoplayer
Sr. Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by stratoplayer » Wed May 17, 2006 4:26 pm

Stealth made a good question, because you are quite correct and analytical on the church and scriptures part, but you do not quite state if you gave up in the whole faith system.

BTW, there are quite a number of atheists (yay for us!) in this forum who share most if not all of you opinions of the church.
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

User avatar
elvenrhapsody
Member
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:09 am

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by elvenrhapsody » Wed May 17, 2006 4:43 pm

I'm so happy for you!!! <3

User avatar
neonlightchild
Sr. Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:58 am
Location: Mexico City
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by neonlightchild » Wed May 17, 2006 4:45 pm

stratoplayer wrote:BTW, there are quite a number of atheists (yay for us!) in this forum who share most if not all of you opinions of the church.

hell yeah! "cynically atheist" :D
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Mormegil » Wed May 17, 2006 4:47 pm


User avatar
stratoplayer
Sr. Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by stratoplayer » Wed May 17, 2006 4:50 pm


Holy crap kill me now!!!! :shock: :sick: :repuke:
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

User avatar
neonlightchild
Sr. Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:58 am
Location: Mexico City
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by neonlightchild » Wed May 17, 2006 4:57 pm

the only church that i trust is Symphony X's "Church of the Machine" :lol: :lol: :lol:
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

User avatar
stratoplayer
Sr. Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by stratoplayer » Wed May 17, 2006 5:11 pm

Amen to THAT! :lol:
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Mormegil » Wed May 17, 2006 5:18 pm

neonlightchild wrote:the only church that i trust is Symphony X's "Church of the Machine" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hell yeah! :D

User avatar
Stealth
Sr. Member
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Blah

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Stealth » Wed May 17, 2006 5:20 pm

From the website:

"Guaranteeing Salvation Since 1612"

Wow! Maybe I should sign the contract! But I'm still not sure... They should have written something like "Salvation guaranteed or your money back". :lol:
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Mormegil » Wed May 17, 2006 5:30 pm

That site is quite funny actually. Who would have thought this of our beloved Jar Jar Binks:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html

:P

User avatar
stratoplayer
Sr. Member
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:05 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by stratoplayer » Wed May 17, 2006 5:36 pm

You have to be kidding...


and check out the one of the Da Vinci Code

"In behavior more typically French, in a wildly over-the-top gesture, he flags his most important cryptic clue with his naked body. An American would have used a Post-It."
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

User avatar
neonlightchild
Sr. Member
Posts: 2115
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 2:58 am
Location: Mexico City
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by neonlightchild » Wed May 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Mormegil wrote:That site is quite funny actually. Who would have thought this of our beloved Jar Jar Binks:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0899/jar.html

:P
no fucking waaaay haha, this is the funniest thing ever!:

"Young children are being seduced by the character of George Lucas' latest Star Wars Movie. Jar Jar's soothing voice, and timid childlike manners, seem to lure young teens into a world of lustful abandon. Unsuspecting parents purchase the popular life-size doll, only to find out later that it is being used by the child as a masturbation toy."

Also, the pic description results hilarious... "Jar Jar Binks stares lustfuly, with a sinister smile"

Haha, no doubt bout it, the more i know people, the more i love my precious, brilliant and wise dog.... :lol:
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

User avatar
Kain´s seventh son
Sr. Member
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:48 pm
Location: Ruovesi, Finland
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Kain´s seventh son » Wed May 17, 2006 9:29 pm

Jar Jar is good one, but I think this is best! :D

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0104/ps2.html

Isn't that reason enough to accept christ? :lol:
"Even if I walk through all the circles of hell for you, you wouldn't even piss on me. But it's too late, it's too late my dear.
Because I'm already there!"

Protection-Perkele of Stratoforum

The Ruckus Brigade

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 18, 2006 3:09 am

Lucid, you seem that you have given tis a whole lot of thought, for that reason we all should respect your decision.
I have not been to church in almost 20 years. I am one of those people who believe a person can worship God, yet not fall into trappings(tradition).

I just hope nobody becomes an atheist, or agnostist simply because it is the "cool" thing to do, because everybody is doing it(if everyone in this forum jumped off a bridge, would you do THAT, too?), or because the hot musician we like believes that way.:roll:
Speaking for myself, I do not follow the "Pied Piper" in anything, religion included. Or non-religion. Just because someone is famous&smart does not mean they are right. Someday everyone learns this--some later than others, unfortunately. :D

I think the idea of freedom of religion is that we all can believe as we wish, or not believe, and if a person chooses to be a Christian, we are to give them as much respect as the people who reject God. Savvy? :roll:

You know, I have a great idea---let us meet back here in about 20-30 years or so(if the Earth is still standing), after the "metal" influence has waned from our lives, and after we have had our own families, jobs, and trials in life---lets see how we feel then about everything, shall we? ;)And PLEASE do not insult everyones, and your own, intelligence by saying things will not have changed. :roll:

In the end, we all, ourselves decide how we believe&feel about God, the afterlife&so on.
And when we die(its the one thing EVERYBODY has in common), we all find out the absolute truth. Heaven? hell? Oblivion? A second life as something/someone else? The thing is, at THAT point its too late to spread the News!!! :lol:
Actually, it does not matter if there is a God, or not because once we are borne into this 'ol world its everybody for themselves anyway! ;) Life&Death is a mystery, and so is everything else that goes along with it.
Like Lucid, I have made my decisions about the divinity of God&Jesus&the place of Christianity in my life, and am happy about it. I think most people come to thier own opinions about these matters sooner or later. In the grand scheme of things, that is all that counts--how we feel inside about our beliefs and opinions. And, ridiculing someone's belief about anything shows a great immaturity no matter how old we are.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
Stealth
Sr. Member
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Blah

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Stealth » Thu May 18, 2006 3:20 am

browneyedgirl wrote:I am one of those people who believe a person can worship God, yet not fall into trappings(tradition).
Or so you think.
browneyedgirl wrote:I just hope nobody becomes an atheist, or agnostist simply because it is the "cool" thing to do, because everybody is doing it
What?!? The "cool" thing to do? How is it cool? I think you underestimate people's reasons for deciding to be or not to be atheist. People don't switch between religions or between a religion and atheism just because it's cool. :? Besides, you yourself are Christian... Are you Christian because it has been the cool thing in Western countries for centuries? :roll: Trust me, Christianity has been (and still is) much "cooler" than atheism, if you are referring to popularity.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

User avatar
browneyedgirl
Sr. Member
Posts: 27236
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Starfall
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu May 18, 2006 3:29 am

Stealth wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:I am one of those people who believe a person can worship God, yet not fall into trappings(tradition).
Or so you think.
browneyedgirl wrote:I just hope nobody becomes an atheist, or agnostist simply because it is the "cool" thing to do, because everybody is doing it
What?!? The "cool" thing to do? How is it cool? I think you underestimate people's reasons for deciding to be or not to be atheist. People don't switch between religions or between a religion and atheism just because it's cool. :? Besides, you yourself are Christian... Are you Christian because it has been the cool thing in Western countries for centuries? :roll: Trust me, Christianity has been (and still is) much "cooler" than atheism, if you are referring to popularity.
Oh, no :lol: I'm not a Christian. If I were a Christian I would not be drinking alcohol every chance I got, if I were a Christian I wouldn't fuck around when I got the chance--I'd be "saving" myself, if I were a Christian I would not cuss like a sailor, etc. I think you catch my drift. :D

There is a vast difference between people who simply believe in God&those who are Christians. ;)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

User avatar
Stealth
Sr. Member
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Blah

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Stealth » Thu May 18, 2006 3:46 am

browneyedgirl wrote:There is a vast difference between people who simply believe in God&those who are Christians. ;)
Of course there is. It's just that at the end of your post you mentioned that you made your decision about the place of Christianity in your life (whatever it may be) so that confused me for a second.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by NeonVomit » Thu May 18, 2006 4:07 am

I fail to see how being an atheist is the 'cool' thing to do, much more than deciding to get married is the cool thing to do.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

User avatar
Neorave
Sr. Member
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:41 am
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Neorave » Thu May 18, 2006 4:59 am

Ok, I feel I need to comment on some of the points that you made, because I'm a stubborn German Lutheran. (I'm pretty sure this post will get me kicked off the forum).
The Tower of Babel is a story that preaches that diversity is a bad thing. Sodom and Gomorrah is a story about how God destroyed a couple of cities because of the abundance of gay men in the cities.
No, the Tower of Babel was a story about stupid, proud people that tried to be just like God, by building a tower to reach up to heaven.
Sodom and Gomorrah is a story about how God destroyed a couple of cities because of the abundance of gay men in the cities.
Hmm...perhaps you never heard of the commandment "Thou shalt not commit adultery"...which, I would guess includes homosexuality.
It's gotten to the point where many pastors teaching some kind of modern Christianity have decided to completely ignore some of the books of the Old Testament, because they know that what is said in them is complete horsewash.
What pastors try to teach is the Gospel.
Denominations is another thing that has always bugged me; how am I supposed to believe in something when the most hardcore of believers can't even agree on the true meanings of the Bible?
It's basically how they interpret the Bible. Some denominations don't even bother trying to read and interpret the Scriptures; they just go for some bullshit excuse to have their own doctrine in.
The very first Commandment is, "Thou shalt not have any gods before me," and God himself even says in one of the books, "I am a jealous God."
Which book is it? Because if I'm right, you probably should read the context as well to fully interpret it.
And for any smart-ass Christians out there preparing the "you don't believe, so you were never really saved" arguments, just save it. I've read and studied most of the Bible, have read literature about it, and I truly believed in it with all my heart for a long time. I'm seriously willing to bet that I'm more educated on these matters than anyone ready to say that to me.
Hey, I'm not saying you don't know jack crap about you not knowing anything. I'm very sure that you know a lot about the Bible. However, it's simpler than just "believing". To at least acknowledge that Jesus Christ is your Savior is enough to save you.
Some of you may recall me remarking in months past, "I love Jesus, but I hate his fanclub."
There are times when I do say that. Basically, you need to realize that there are a lot of extremists out there that screw up the interpretations of the Scriptures.
How ignorant and elitist do you have to be to really believe that anyone with a different opinion on a certain matter is "dark-sided?" For those lucky enough to not know some of these people, simply refer to the Catholic church in the Dark Ages, and see how big of a joke that was. "Make a considerable donation, and we'll put in a good word for you with God and cleanse your sins... or else."
Um, just to let you know, during those times, because people weren't very well educated because of the poverty level, and because of the fact that the New Testament was written in Greek, no common man was able to read and interpret the Scriptures.
If it weren't for Jesus, the foundations of Christianity and perhaps even Judaism would have been treated like complete jokes by the majority of the world for a long time now.
If it weren't for Jesus, there'd be no Christianity.
But I have to scoff at the idea of Jesus being the Son of God. And there's another thing; some sects of Christianity preach that Jesus is the Son of God. Others preach that Jesus IS God. And - get this - some think that Jesus is both God and the Son of God. How much sense does that make?
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." - (John 1:1-2)

Basically, Jesus is God, but because He came to earth as a man, He is also called the Son of God.
So Jesus walks on water and people think it's a miracle. David Blaine has done some pretty otherworldly feats, yet I don't see anyone treating him like he is some kind of prophet.
I dunno, ABC seems to treat him like one. You don't even want to know what I think about David Blane.
I've got news for you, the Bible is nothing but the greatest chain letter of all time. The very principles of Christianity work exactly the same way as an e-mail hoax.
But the funny thing is, is that other historical documents, like from the Romans, Chinese, etc. also have the same stuff in them too. I guess we should also consider them hoaxes too! Hey, Let's start throwing out all those good history textbooks then!

In addition, I think you'd be happy to know, Lucid, that the Gospels are nothing but propaganda pieces. Now, the bad thing is that screws up all my arguements, but the good thing is all the other gnostic gospels, like the gospel of Thomas or Judas, are also the same thing. However, after doing a lot of research, we learn a little more about the authors of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John:

Matthew: apostle, tax collector, followed Jesus
Mark: Simon Peter's secretary, thought to have written the first Gospel (hence why it's the shortest)
Luke: Many have researched that Luke used both of Matthew and Mark's Gospels as references, as well as his own findings and interviews.
John: apostle, "the one that Jesus' loved"
So, after deciding that the outdated "morals" of Christianity don't clash with my own, that I don't really believe in any of this crap (and I find it hard to believe how someone with an open mind can), and that Christianity has been more of a burden than a crutch to me, I've decided to just give up on it. Some may say that it's not important if the tales in the Bible are true or not, it's the impact they have on your life that matters. Well, the impact that this religion has had on my life has been 100% negative, which is even more of a reason for me to quit.
You know what the funny thing is? That is the most typical response of most people that I know of that have given up on Christianity. Basically, my point of view tells me that you've taken every interpretation that you've seen out there and tried to combine them (hence why you are open-minded). I would like to help you, if you want to accept the invitation I am sending you.
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

User avatar
Stealth
Sr. Member
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:56 am
Location: Blah

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Stealth » Thu May 18, 2006 6:24 am

Neorave wrote:
Some of you may recall me remarking in months past, "I love Jesus, but I hate his fanclub."
There are times when I do say that. Basically, you need to realize that there are a lot of extremists out there that screw up the interpretations of the Scriptures.
Screw up interpretations? If the Scriptures are open to interpretation, then they are just interpreting them in a different way. Maybe it's not that they don't see it your way; maybe it's that you don't see it their way, so they could say "this guy's interpretation of the Scriptures is completely inaccurate"... All interpretations are relative. And the whole "different interpretations" of the Bible is what allows Christianity to justify every single contradiction. Basically, Christianity allows and prohibits anything. There are always excuses to justify everything or to try to explain everything. Many people for example, don't care about sinning... Why should they? Even before they commit a sin, they know that afterwards they can go to church, confess their sins and feel at peace with themselves. And they often DO commit sins knowing beforehand what they are doing. That's just plain hypocrisy to me.

Neorave wrote:
But I have to scoff at the idea of Jesus being the Son of God. And there's another thing; some sects of Christianity preach that Jesus is the Son of God. Others preach that Jesus IS God. And - get this - some think that Jesus is both God and the Son of God. How much sense does that make?
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning." - (John 1:1-2)

Basically, Jesus is God, but because He came to earth as a man, He is also called the Son of God.
Ok, as you said, he can be called the son of god symbolically or something, but he can't be both. That would make as much sense as saying that I am both me and my pet.

Neorave wrote:
So, after deciding that the outdated "morals" of Christianity don't clash with my own, that I don't really believe in any of this crap (and I find it hard to believe how someone with an open mind can), and that Christianity has been more of a burden than a crutch to me, I've decided to just give up on it. Some may say that it's not important if the tales in the Bible are true or not, it's the impact they have on your life that matters. Well, the impact that this religion has had on my life has been 100% negative, which is even more of a reason for me to quit.
I would like to help you, if you want to accept the invitation I am sending you.


Two things: First, why do you feel the need to convert people? Why can't people here choose whatever makes them happy?

Second: You say "I would like to help you" as if people who don't believe in god or in a defined religion were sick. I'm atheist, and you don't see me offering my "help" to you; that would imply that there is something wrong with you. I don't think you need help, I think that the choice you made makes you happy and that should be enough. Understand that I, being atheist, don't need your help because atheism is not an illness, it's just a point of view and a conception of life. I don't help those who are happy with their choices, I don't want to be helped when I'm happy with mine. Live and let live.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

User avatar
NordicStorm
Sr. Member
Posts: 2174
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:46 pm
Location: Finland

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by NordicStorm » Thu May 18, 2006 8:42 am

Hear hear. You don't have to engage in pointless rituals and adhere to dogma thought up - not by God, but by men - to follow the general philosophy of love and tolerance for one another.
Not that I'm an atheist, but organised religion isn't my thing. It seems to promote an "us vs. them" mentality and groupthink.

And don't get me started on the gayophobia. I mean, it's conceivable it made sense 4000 years ago, as reproduction was vital for the future of the tribe, but in 2006 it does not. Now it's just bigotry, plain and simple.

So, I'd have to join in here - love Jesus, not too happy about the fanclub...
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

Frantic Eyes
Jr. Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:00 pm

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Frantic Eyes » Thu May 18, 2006 11:58 am

Fools, who do you think you are to question the Infinite Wisdom of the Holy God? You people are in serious danger of hellfire. Please visit the following site and review the material carefully.

www.yourgoingtohell.com

:D

User avatar
NeonVomit
Sr. Member
Posts: 4628
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:36 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by NeonVomit » Thu May 18, 2006 1:38 pm

I know the link above is a hoax, but it is scarily reminiscant of real-life sentiments held by too many people.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com


I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

User avatar
Neorave
Sr. Member
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:41 am
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Neorave » Thu May 18, 2006 3:50 pm

Frantic Eyes wrote:Fools, who do you think you are to question the Infinite Wisdom of the Holy God? You people are in serious danger of hellfire. Please visit the following site and review the material carefully.

www.yourgoingtohell.com

:D
What the crap? This doesn't portray anything. In fact, most of the links don't even work.

When we preach the Bible, we want to keep two things in mind:

* Give Christ the glory he deserves
* Give sinners comfort

This definitely rob's Christ of His glory, because...well...all you frick'n talk about is hell, hell, hell, hell, bad things, hell, do this, hell, hell...

And this DEFINITELY rob's sinners of their comfort. Why? How are they gonna find salvation, when all you talk about is "For those that do this bad thing click here", and you click there and it's like "BURN IN HELL, YOU EVIL SINNER, LOL".

Yeah, I do agree that that site is a hoax, and it badly misinterprets the Bible.


EDIT: ...hmm...I'm surprised I haven't been kicked off yet...oh well, I bet it's only a matter of time... :wink:
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

Frantic Eyes
Jr. Member
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:00 pm

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Frantic Eyes » Thu May 18, 2006 4:01 pm

I liked the "Send us fan mail" link by the way :lol:

Edit: On a more serious note, it is believed by many that early (original) Christianity never taught endless punishment.

User avatar
Lucid Faia
Sr. Member
Posts: 1148
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 12:18 am
Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Lucid Faia » Thu May 18, 2006 8:15 pm

It's cool that I can talk to a Christian who actually knows what he's talking about, NeoRave. But let's get one thing straight... I followed this religion for no less than twenty years. There's nothing you or anyone else can say to me to make me change my mind about leaving it.

No, the Tower of Babel was a story about stupid, proud people that tried to be just like God, by building a tower to reach up to heaven.

But if you remember correctly, diversity and multiple languages was the punishment from God for their arrogance.

What pastors try to teach is the Gospel.

So you'd think, but the last time I went to church, I was told by a pastor (privately) that I could basically ignore everything in the Book of Leviticus.

Which book is it? Because if I'm right, you probably should read the context as well to fully interpret it.

Not sure, probably Exodus. But there's many times when you hear the phrases, "Wrath of God,' or "Wrath of the Lamb," while we are taught that wrath is a sin, and God is holy and above sins.

no common man was able to read and interpret the Scriptures.

Exactly, and the church took advantage of that. They also played a large part in governing the nations of the world.

If it weren't for Jesus, there'd be no Christianity.

I'm aware of that, I meant the foundations of Christianity.
A Lucid Mind

User avatar
Neorave
Sr. Member
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:41 am
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: I've decided that I'm giving up on Christianity.

Post by Neorave » Thu May 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Lucid Faia wrote:It's cool that I can talk to a Christian who actually knows what he's talking about, NeoRave. But let's get one thing straight... I followed this religion for no less than twenty years. There's nothing you or anyone else can say to me to make me change my mind about leaving it.
Hey, anytime, man!


What pastors try to teach is the Gospel.

So you'd think, but the last time I went to church, I was told by a pastor (privately) that I could basically ignore everything in the Book of Leviticus.
Well, then, that pastor is a douchéfag.
Which book is it? Because if I'm right, you probably should read the context as well to fully interpret it.

Not sure, probably Exodus. But there's many times when you hear the phrases, "Wrath of God,' or "Wrath of the Lamb," while we are taught that wrath is a sin, and God is holy and above sins.
Thanks! I'm gonna look into that, and look at the context.
no common man was able to read and interpret the Scriptures.

Exactly, and the church took advantage of that. They also played a large part in governing the nations of the world.
You can thank the Roman Catholic Church for taking advantage of that. Paying off debts and such. Such a lovely denomination, isn't it? This is why I'm Lutheran.
If it weren't for Jesus, there'd be no Christianity.

I'm aware of that, I meant the foundations of Christianity.
What's your definition of "foundations"?
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

Locked