Iced Earth

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
doc_holliday
Iced Earth

Post by doc_holliday » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:00 am

I learned the existance of this band through wikipedia while I was reading about power metal.

I downloaded a few songs, and I really like 3 of them "Ghost of Freedom", "Melancholy" and "Watching over me".

I strongly recommend those 3 songs, they are really good.

dirge

Re: Iced Earth

Post by dirge » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:38 am

Classic band but have become very bad in my opinion since Matt Barlow has left and Tim Ripper Owens joined.

nepi

Post by nepi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:42 am

This is also my opinion. Ripper is not bad, he sings very good, but Math's voice can't be replaced by him! Iced Earth is another band since Math left...

and btw check the song Question To Heaven!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

dirge

Post by dirge » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:17 pm

nepi wrote:This is also my opinion. Ripper is not bad, he sings very good, but Math's voice can't be replaced by him! Iced Earth is another band since Math left...

YES! You think like myself nepi!
and double YES! for the song question of heaven! 8)

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:24 pm

Burnt Offerings
Night Of The Stormrider
S/T

These are the top Iced Earth albums to me.

The Dark Saga, Something Wicked This Way Comes, quite good albums.

Horrow Show, awful.

The Glorious Burden, I like it more than the previous one but again nothing special.

MetalManiac

Post by MetalManiac » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:31 pm

IMO Iced Earth is better with Tim Owens. I love The Glorious Burden album.
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning."

nepi

Post by nepi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:43 pm

dirge wrote:
nepi wrote:This is also my opinion. Ripper is not bad, he sings very good, but Math's voice can't be replaced by him! Iced Earth is another band since Math left...

YES! You think like myself nepi!
and double YES! for the song question of heaven! 8)
.... and a double-thanx-4-support back to you :)

Question To Heaven, I would prefer it in the live version of Alive In Athens... btw just buy Alive In Athens and you will have a masterpiece and the best songs in an awesome quality!
Just "quite good albums"? Oh no, both are very good pieces to hear more than once!
IMO Iced Earth is better with Tim Owens. I love The Glorious Burden album.
For me, Math was one of the best metal voices the scene ever seen! Listen the screams at the end of Question To Heaven from the live album...
And the Glorious Burden is much different to Something Wicked or Dark Saga.... IMO
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:51 pm

nepi wrote:
Just "quite good albums"? Oh no, both are very good pieces to hear more than once!
Have you listened to the first three albums of them?
If you haven't, I think that it is natural to consider these two albums as their best :wink:

TrialByFire

Post by TrialByFire » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:21 am

I have all the releases that Matt Barlow appears on and they are some of my favorite cds. I heard the singers before Barlow though on the Blessed and the Damned and seriously would love to have those cds as well. But Ripper Owens is the worst thing that could have happened to this band. He is one of the worst singers in my opinion, and sounds fucking horrible live. Its bad enough of he had to ruin Judas Priest, and now he has to ruin Iced Earth. I have seen Judas Priest with this butt fucker in it and it was then that I swore never to buy a release that has ripper in it.
"As far as I'm concerned, the only thing the French should be allowed to host is an invasion" Johnny English

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:33 pm

TrialByFire wrote:But Ripper Owens is the worst thing that could have happened to this band. He is one of the worst singers in my opinion, and sounds fucking horrible live. Its bad enough of he had to ruin Judas Priest, and now he has to ruin Iced Earth. I have seen Judas Priest with this butt fucker in it and it was then that I swore never to buy a release that has ripper in it.
I disagree! Listen to his band (Winter's Bane) and you may change your mind. Also the Jugulator album with Priest kicks ass!!!

savabich2

Post by savabich2 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:41 pm

Not crazy about these guys although I respect the talent- outstanding players.

The songs leave me kind of bored- Alive in Athens was just dull to me.

For powermetal my fav is Zandelle- better songs, more singalong and too the point.

I also love Ripper, Beyond Fear is a mod band with a great vibe.

NordicStorm

Post by NordicStorm » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:33 pm

Excellent band. They hit their peak with The Dark Saga and Something Wicked..., but the other releases aren't too shabby either. Ripper does quite well for himself on The Glorious Burden. He's no Matt Barlow (or Rob Halford), true, but then again, not many singers are.
Give me liberty, or give me cake!

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:31 pm

I should have seen them twice. Shows got cancelled both times.

Bugger.
What do you call a German virgin?
Guttenteit.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:55 pm

Night Of The Stormrider is their best effort. Easily. The riff towards the end of Travel In Stygian is as vicious as any death metal riff I've heard. Truly outstanding album.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:04 am

they are about to confirm their assistance to the Monterrey Metal Fest!!!! :D :D
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:14 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Night Of The Stormrider is their best effort. Easily. The riff towards the end of Travel In Stygian is as vicious as any death metal riff I've heard. Truly outstanding album.
Night of the Stormrider is a brilliant album.
But I think that the peak of their career is the "Burnt Offerings" album and their top song "Dante's Inferno" :wink:

iced guardian

Post by iced guardian » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:58 am

ripper is a very good singer, its just not what people expect from iced earth. like for many fans(including me), iced earth=schaffer+barlow. barlow is the best metal singer that ever existed(in my oppinion). the way he could put anger and passion in his voice is incredible. now reaper comes and sings about wars and battles. of course we wont put as much passion as dracula or a question of heaven demands. i personaly dont think that reaper is able to have the same feeling as matt in his voice. still, the gettysburg trilogy i find is one of the best things that iced earth(schaffer made) and the vocals match perfectly with the subject. and note that he recorded the whole album in about a week.
i saw a post which said that horror show is awfull. the best iced earth songs(for me) are on that album: dracula, phantom operah ghost, damien. what is bad about this album is that its less varied than something wicked this way comes.
anyways, iced earth is, along with stratovarius and blind guardian, my favourite band(s)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:16 am

Damien is the best song on Horror Show. Epic, evil, atmospheric, heavy, original. Outstanding.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:09 pm

iced guardian wrote:iced earth is, along with stratovarius and blind guardian, my favourite band(s)
and they are some of the most important bands of the 90's!
NeonVomit wrote:Damien is the best song on Horror Show. Epic, evil, atmospheric, heavy, original. Outstanding.
This is the only song that I like from this album..