Doomsday Clock Moves Ahead Today

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Doomsday Clock Moves Ahead Today

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:34 pm

http://www.unobserver.com/index.php?pag ... 3059&blz=1

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=2d9ff2 ... 3ad81f9b1e

Well, its still a long way to go considering everything, so its safe to make plans for Saturday night, I suppose. :D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

miditek

Re: Doomsday Clock Moves Ahead Today

Post by miditek » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:39 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:http://www.unobserver.com/index.php?pag ... 3059&blz=1

Well, its still a long way to go considering everything, so its safe to make plans for Saturday night, I suppose. :D
No one knows the exact date and hour, but for all of the UN Observer report's bluster, there seems to be very little (if any) real concern. However, there have been some other rather interesting developments-

a) New Russian-made air defense systems going to
Iran. (Not to mention Russian nuclear expertise)

b) New Russian-made air defense systems going to
Syria.

c) Growing concerns over the misappropriation of
F-14 Tomcat spare parts being redirected to Iran
for use on its aging fleet of aircraft.

d) Rumors in the British press, as well as the NPR
that IDF strikes on Iran's nuclear assets may
well be imminent.

It seems to me that the Gog-Magog Alliance is now in full swing and that Russia is not even attempting to hide the fact of this. A strike on the Bushrer facilities could well trigger an invasion of Israel by her enemies.

Retaliation could be terrible- such as a mushroom cloud over either Damascus, Tehran, or both. It is likely that Israel could survive a single nuclear strike (one warhead or so) from Iran, but the price to be paid will be horrific. It could also lead to widespread destruction and a settling of accounts in the PA territories as well.

That only concerns the Middle Eastern theater of operations, as I am sure that plenty of trouble is brewing in Asia as well. It would not surprise me to see Japan becoming the next major military power in that area, due to pressure being exerted from China and NK.

Ahmandinejhad is trying the old WWI-era trick that the Kaiser played by seeking allies in Central and South America, but I feel that it will have little if any of the effects for which he hopes. Putin has also been selling military hardware, such as aircraft, to Chavez in Venezuela.

He can purchase as many as he wants, if he feels like it will make him feel like more of a player on the world stage. However, if he gets too uppity or decides to threaten US interests in the region, those MiGs or SU series fighters could easily be taken out befor they even have a chance to take off.

Climates are also changing, of course, and the weird weather will continue. Somewhere in the cosmos, a large meteor and/or comet called "Wormwood" also awaits its date of destiny with the Earth.

Things are becoming more interesting with each passing day.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Stratofanius

Post by Stratofanius » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:56 pm

I read from somewhere that USA is again trying to develop some new nuclear weapons :roll: Great, great... they can do everything they want, rest of the world can't.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:00 pm

miditek wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:http://www.unobserver.com/index.php?pag ... 3059&blz=1

No one knows the exact date and hour, but for all of the UN Observer report's bluster, there seems to be very little (if any) real concern. However, there have been some other rather interesting developments-

a) New Russian-made air defense systems going to
Iran. (Not to mention Russian nuclear expertise)

b) New Russian-made air defense systems going to
Syria.

c) Growing concerns over the misappropriation of
F-14 Tomcat spare parts being redirected to Iran
for use on its aging fleet of aircraft.

d) Rumors in the British press, as well as the NPR
that IDF strikes on Iran's nuclear assets may
well be imminent.

It seems to me that the Gog-Magog Alliance is now in full swing and that Russia is not even attempting to hide the fact of this. A strike on the Bushrer facilities could well trigger an invasion of Israel by her enemies.

Retaliation could be terrible- such as a mushroom cloud over either Damascus, Tehran, or both. It is likely that Israel could survive a single nuclear strike (one warhead or so) from Iran, but the price to be paid will be horrific. It could also lead to widespread destruction and a settling of accounts in the PA territories as well.

That only concerns the Middle Eastern theater of operations, as I am sure that plenty of trouble is brewing in Asia as well. It would not surprise me to see Japan becoming the next major military power in that area, due to pressure being exerted from China and NK.

Ahmandinejhad is trying the old WWI-era trick that the Kaiser played by seeking allies in Central and South America, but I feel that it will have little if any of the effects for which he hopes. Putin has also been selling military hardware, such as aircraft, to Chavez in Venezuela.

He can purchase as many as he wants, if he feels like it will make him feel like more of a player on the world stage. However, if he gets too uppity or decides to threaten US interests in the region, those MiGs or SU series fighters could easily be taken out befor they even have a chance to take off.

Climates are also changing, of course, and the weird weather will continue. Somewhere in the cosmos, a large meteor and/or comet called "Wormwood" also awaits its date of destiny with the Earth.

Things are becoming more interesting with each passing day.
So I guess this all means I'm going to be going to hell pretty soon, along with all the Jews (take that, God's chosen people! muahahahaha), Muslims, Hindus, Democrats, Bhuddists, anti-war demonstrators, Shintoists, Pro-Choice activists, Europeans and atheists, as well as people who are gay, and those have had premarital sex.

We're on the highway to hell people, and I'm driving the bus! :shock: :D

But seriously now... lighten up a tad and enjoy your life. You might get run over by a bus tomorrow, and as you lay dying on the asphalt with your lifeblood draining away, you'll wish you relaxed more and tried to make the most of your life. All you do is talk about doom and armageddon and the Rapture and oh no they're gonna blow us up oh no we have to bomb them before they do etc. etc. Yeah, it worries me too sometimes, especially when I'm on the underground, but I don't fear blind me. I just go about my buisiness.

We're all going to die anyway... sooner or later.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:11 pm

It won't be so funny when it happens. :roll: And I will be wearing my asbestos suit, too.
@NeonVomit, can I ride shotgun on that bus? :D Hey, I want the best seat!

Oh, Well.
The worst things prophesized to come won't be the USAs fault. Sorry, but when that dreaded day comes nobody will be scapegoating the USA, although a few ignorant souls might. :roll:
But, until then, the world is a party so enjoy it. :)

But, miditek is right about all that stuff, but its fruitless to discuss about it, so I say just take each day as it comes&in time, we will all know. :)

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:34 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:But, miditek is right about all that stuff, but its fruitless to discuss about it, so I say just take each day as it comes&in time, we will all know. :)
If you have half a cup of tea, you can say it's either half full or half empty. Miditek's cup is half empty.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:35 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:It won't be so funny when it happens. :roll: And I will be wearing my asbestos suit, too.
@NeonVomit, can I ride shotgun on that bus? :D Hey, I want the best seat!

Oh, Well.
The worst things prophesized to come won't be the USAs fault. Sorry, but when that dreaded day comes nobody will be scapegoating the USA, although a few ignorant souls might. :roll:
But, until then, the world is a party so enjoy it. :)

But, miditek is right about all that stuff, but its fruitless to discuss about it, so I say just take each day as it comes&in time, we will all know. :)
Sure, take your pick of the seats :D We'll keep one free for miditek if, in fact, the Muslims were right all along :D

It's hard to dread something that I don't even think will happen though. Not everyone is of the same conviction!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:36 pm

Carcass wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:But, miditek is right about all that stuff, but its fruitless to discuss about it, so I say just take each day as it comes&in time, we will all know. :)
If you have half a cup of tea, you can say it's either half full or half empty. Miditek's cup is half empty.
I say the cup is twice the size it needs to be :D

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:39 pm

I didn't see the time anywhere though... :wink:
It's now 23:55 from 23:53.
Is it late? Nah... :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:59 pm

stratobabius wrote:I didn't see the time anywhere though... :wink:
It's now 23:55 from 23:53.
Is it late? Nah... :)
Its never too late. :D
BTW, the Doomsday clock was 2 minutes 'til midnight once, so its just a symbol, not an indicator. :)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Indeed, the world's been in far worse states and we've pulled through just fine.

I like to maintain hope in humanity. We'll eventually achieve something truly great. We've accomplished much so far, but we still have a long way to go. What that truly great thing will be... no one knows!

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:04 pm

I found something!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:06 pm

stratobabius wrote:I found something!

Yes, the reason the clock was set ahead was supposedly, at least in part, because of North Korea&Iran's nuclear "ambitions".

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:40 pm

...and because global warming encourages the use of nuclear energy, which means that there will be more enriched uranium in the world. Enriched uranium can be used for nuclear power generators, and nuclear weapons. This makes stopping the proliferation a more difficult task.

Am I the only one who sees a contradiction in that IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) promotes the use of nuclear energy while they seek to prevent the military use of this energy source. Shouldn't they be supporting the use and development of other sources of energy instead?

I remember reading somewhere that Mohammed El Baradei (Director General) said that global warming should be battled with an increased use of nuclear energy.

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:54 pm

I don't believe in the clock, but the situation is concerning. THe fact is, nuclearmissiles are BAD, comets are BAD and sun exploding is BAD too. Till then, I'll go and live the as well as I can. :lol:
Aina ei pysty

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:54 pm

Carcass wrote:
I remember reading somewhere that Mohammed El Baradei (Director General) said that global warming should be battled with an increased use of nuclear energy.
Because nuclear energy does not produce CO2 emissions.

Nuclear energy is safe, despite the horror stories you might hear. I see nothing wrong with it. It's clean, and a way to sustain our energy hunger.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:59 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Carcass wrote:
Because nuclear energy does not produce CO2 emissions.

Nuclear energy is safe, despite the horror stories you might hear. I see nothing wrong with it. It's clean, and a way to sustain our energy hunger.
A Nuclear Power plant(Browns Ferry)has supplied the area I live with electricity for about 30 years now&no problems whatsoever AFAIK.
My Ex-brother-in-law still works there and none of his children were born with 2 heads, 4 arms or anything like that---but, the employees do have to take special precautions, as most jobs do. And, they have to take some sort of genetic testing periodicly to make sure their sperm, and DNA are not being affected. I don't know how often , or how that works though. ???

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:21 pm

I perfectly understand (and to some extent even subscribe to) the reasoning behind ElBaradei's comment. I'm just saying that he is making his own work of non-proliferation difficult. Just a thought...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:05 pm

I think Wind power&Solar power should be delved into by more people. Of course, getting off the power grid(electricity&gas I mean)is expensive---used to be the government had loans&grants to help people who wanted to do just that.

There is an Amish community about 30 miles North of where I live&they use limited Wind power&Kerosene. But, kerosene is sky-high now, so I imagine some Amish had to go back to the Icebox&wood stove&candles.
Well, instead of cars they use horse-power, :) so they do their part to save the Earth--at least their niche of it. ;)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:00 pm

Carcass wrote:I perfectly understand (and to some extent even subscribe to) the reasoning behind ElBaradei's comment. I'm just saying that he is making his own work of non-proliferation difficult. Just a thought...
Nuclear energy and nuclear weapons do not go hand-in-hand though. Anyhow, with a policy of openness and transparency with regards to nuclear energy, it's very easy to put people's fears to rest, such as by cooperating with IAEA monitors and inspectors. That's why everyone is getting so pissed off with Iran, they're not being open and transparent. They've stressed over and over again that their program is entirely for peaceful energy, but their word is not enough to calm people down.

Good to see that Russia and China got off the fence and voted for sanctions at the security council, I think the whole N Korea thing woke them up.

N Korea... now that's what people should be worried about.