2006-2007 Winter is Warmest on Record

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl

2006-2007 Winter is Warmest on Record

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:17 pm

But, how far do the records go back? :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17632043

The last topic about this interesting&controversial issue was locked because of personal&namecalling attacks against people with opposing viewpoints. Let's don't go down that road again on this issue. :roll:
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Carcass

Re: 2006-2007 Winter is Warmest on Record

Post by Carcass » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:02 pm

1880s, I think....

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:43 pm

Carcass wrote:1880s, I think....
approximately, yes. Now even these US scientists say that mankind's influence is not negligible. I'm so happy that at the moment everybody is discussing climate changing (although some discussions are really bizarre). Hopefully now governments and especially also the businessworld begins to understand... Though, I know, this seems very optimistic.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:28 pm

Carcass wrote:1880s, I think....

Well, my parents grew up in the 1930s(my Dad)&1940s(my Mom), and they both say that the weather&climate is lots different now than when they were growing up.
By different, I mean the Winters milder&later in coming, the Summers hotter.
Actually, even since the late 1960s I can tell a difference. I think most people can who have lived a few decades. ;)

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:06 am

OH NO IT'S SO WARM WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE HELP HELP HELP HELP GLOBAL WARMING IS GOING TO MAKE US ITS BITCH

oh no its not that's all rubbish what are you talking about you retard nothing we do affects the world around us.

Who do you believe?

Who do you WANT to believe?

Therein lies the question that faces all of humanity.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:47 am

LOOOOOOOOL!!!! Yeah, NV, I know! :D
There are issues so much more important than climate change&such, but sciencific knowledge, and things of this nature are dear to my heart, and many folks enjoy talking of these topics! =P

Weather&Climate are truly small-talk conversation topics which are so interesting. Yes. But, actually are quite important, really. In the long run we shall take such issues quite seriously! :) Well, to tell the truth, there are less news topics involving this issue these days. :) I'm keeping tabs on this :D and will update as necessary!!! =P

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:05 am

browneyedgirl wrote:There are issues so much more important than climate change
No, there are not. This is the issue of the future. It is going to kill more people than islamic terrorism. People better wake up. In Finland they have (to some degree), according to polls the majority of the people are actually ready to give up their conveniences in order to prevent further damage.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:35 am

Well, one thing about the weather&climate is that it is something that nobody can control.We like to think we can do so, but we cannot.
So, we can do our part--to best of our knowledge--what is good for the climate&environment, after that, it is up to God/Nature.
We just have to hope for the best!!! :)

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:03 pm

Actually there is no global warming behind this, Earth is closer to the Sun than "normally" and this is true, the track of Earth has changed a bit, actually it changes a little all the time. Nothing to worry about. And this is true. Sorry Globalwarming theory.
Aina ei pysty

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:08 pm

Isn't that a kind of global warming too? :lol: I'm relieved that at least one of us knows the truth.

By the way, here it's about 10 degrees celsius warmer than the average at this time of the year.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:44 pm

Yeah, even here, in the Heart of Dixie the temps are breaking the warmth record almost every day! It has been 80+F. every day for over a week--one day it was 87F!!!! :eek:
Most years we have a warm spell of a few days, then it gets back to typical March temps, but last year&this year it did not do that! We went from Winter right into summer, so to speak. :)

There are some scientists who theorize that the Earth's changing climate is due to changes in/on the Sun, and not due to anything happening on Earth. This is a scarey idea because there is absolutely nothing we can do about the Sun&what happens there! :D

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:02 pm

StratoFactor wrote:Actually there is no global warming behind this, Earth is closer to the Sun than "normally" and this is true, the track of Earth has changed a bit, actually it changes a little all the time. Nothing to worry about. And this is true. Sorry Globalwarming theory.
Wrong, my friend, wrong. If you had read the last UN climate report you'd know that it's not only some variation in Earth's position to the sun or change in sun activity. Mankind's influence cannot be denied anymore, it's a scientific proved fact. Almost every government in the world has accepted the last studies as fact. Nothing to worry about? C'mon, wake up at last! :roll:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:46 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6532323.stm

"Billions of people face shortages of food and water and increased risk of flooding, experts at a major climate change conference have warned."

I hope certain people would stop beating their heads against the wall. If this doesn't convince you that we are warming the planet, then nothing will.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:40 pm

Warmest on Record? ??? Not anymore! :lol: It was 22F. this morning! For the past few days night&day temps have been BELOW normal! :D
Quite a shock---to go from 87F to the twenties overnight!

Of course, I guess thats part of it! :)

I bet the Easter Bunny had to wear earmuffs this morning! =P

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:00 am

Now this is kinda scarey, but very interesting regardless of your opinion about Global Warming.

http://www.dldewey.com/columns/mar06f.htm

I had to chuckle, though, when he wrote mentioning mosquitoes possibly causing HIV. :lol:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:26 pm

I want to bump this up because the link on the above post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
is a very good one! :)

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:10 am

Hmmm, 20,000 extra (metric, I assume) tons of extra emissions due to France's insistence of dual parliamentary cities, that being Brussels and Strasbourg.

No wonder this winter was warmer with that much extra emissions, not to mention all of the extra methane gas from all of the bullshit floating back and forth between what is truly, "A Tale of Two Cities".

And yet, this is the same EU that complains about Washington's hypocrisy over the Kyoto "treaty".

Europe is owned this time by its local fringe left group, the one, the only, the Greens! :wink: Let's give them a hand.(Raucous applause)

Greens expose CO2 folly of Strasbourg parliament
euobserver.com/9/23935
Κύριε ἐλέησον

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon May 07, 2007 5:44 pm

An interesting report, with some even more interesting tables that document that decline of US emissions and pollutants over a long period, one of which is from 1970-2006.

US EPA (Enviromental Protection Agency) report

epa.gov/airtrends/econ-emissions.html

Some of the figures in this report go all the way back to the Nixon administration (who was in power in 1970), and shows a steady decline since then.

Even the Hamilton County (TN) air pollution control board requires all drivers to have their vehicle emissions tested each year before an auto's license plates can be renewed.

So much for the US "doing nothing"- that "nothing" goes back nearly 40 years and spans six or seven different presidents. :roll:

Also, as I'd mentioned previously, Chattanooga was a dirty, smoggy, industrialized city when I was growing up. A lot of the factories are gone now, and the ones that remain behind have to deal with OSHA (safety), HAZMAT people, the state EPA, the Federal EPA, as well as local/county pollution index control bureaus. I have a close friend who's wife is an inspection engineer with the state EPA agency.

In fact, I have some acquaintances that are in the process of building a health spa/gymnasium, and all of the environmental/compliance issues, permits, inspections, easements, consultants, etc. and changes required by their local and state inspectors has added over $100K to the cost of the project itself. That's a pretty big hit to take for a small business. or in other words it's a gym not a factory!
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:39 pm

I just saw something interesting on a Blog. I guess its a rumor, or somebody's wishful thinking. That Gore&O'Bama would be running mates? ???
But, if G&O'B were elected, the USA would become a perfect Utopia from sea-to-shining-sea, and then all the USA criticizers maybe would STFU, and find a new hobby! :D

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:18 pm

@Beg the silence from the other side of the pond is positively deafening, eh? :lol:
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:37 pm

I don't know about ponds :D but the frog population where I live is still plentiful. Treefrogs(whose nightly mating call is one of the most beautiful nature sounds)still chirp&lull most of us rednecks to sleep. :D And, my Boxer puppies had a blast Saturday chasing a couple toads around the yard, so amphibians are still producing well from what I've seen--at least where I live.
However, if we do not get more rain soon, that dryness might become a problem for the amphibians later.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:42 am

miditek wrote:An interesting report, with some even more interesting tables that document that decline of US emissions and pollutants over a long period, one of which is from 1970-2006.

Some of the figures in this report go all the way back to the Nixon administration (who was in power in 1970), and shows a steady decline since then.

Even the Hamilton County (TN) air pollution control board requires all drivers to have their vehicle emissions tested each year before an auto's license plates can be renewed.

So much for the US "doing nothing"- that "nothing" goes back nearly 40 years and spans six or seven different presidents. :roll:

Also, as I'd mentioned previously, Chattanooga was a dirty, smoggy, industrialized city when I was growing up. A lot of the factories are gone now, and the ones that remain behind have to deal with OSHA (safety), HAZMAT people, the state EPA, the Federal EPA, as well as local/county pollution index control bureaus. I have a close friend who's wife is an inspection engineer with the state EPA agency.

In fact, I have some acquaintances that are in the process of building a health spa/gymnasium, and all of the environmental/compliance issues, permits, inspections, easements, consultants, etc. and changes required by their local and state inspectors has added over $100K to the cost of the project itself. That's a pretty big hit to take for a small business. or in other words it's a gym not a factory!
So what you are saying is that while in the rest of the world, co2 emissions go steadily up, in USA they have been going down all the time?

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:53 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Carb ... Region.png

Source:The Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (CDIAC) is an organization within the United States Department of Energy

And the G8 summit declaration a week ago is a death sentence to the planet.
Meaningless words and Bush got the last word about completely unrational target of "halving the emissions by the end of 2008" (when his precidency will be over). Sad. Truly sad.

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:00 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:
miditek wrote:An interesting report, with some even more interesting tables that document that decline of US emissions and pollutants over a long period, one of which is from 1970-2006.

So what you are saying is that while in the rest of the world, co2 emissions go steadily up, in USA they have been going down all the time?
I think that this is more of an air quality control index report. Did you get a chance to read the EPA report? When I was a kid growing up here, as I said, the smog was really bad. Factories were bellowing out so much smoke that sometimes it looked dark outside even during the daytime. Now, the big concern in my area seems to be that we have one of the highest pollen counts in the nation.

The EPA is one of the most powerful bureaucracies in the country- even to the point to where they can dictate power management features in product design. The Energy Star compliance logo was mandated by them. Have you ever had friends complain about their laptop PC going to "sleep" (or in some cases, a coma!) and being hard to power back up? Same applies with printers, copiers, etc.

I once had a customer that bought a new Dell server, and all of the power management features were turned on by default, even to the point to where the server went into "sleep" mode, and disabled several hundred users' MS Exchange mailboxes. It took over an hour to disable all of the power saving features both in Windows, as well as the system BIOS, just to keep the thing up and running.

Do the Finns have some sort of emissions control or inspection program where vehicle exhaust systems have to be checked on an annual basis? (I have no idea about the law there, which is why I was asking.)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm

What you can't see with your naked eye doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
CO2 doesn't have colour or smell, you just see the results (and I don't mean only around the environment). Noone would be ok after breathing it for some minutes.

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:28 pm

miditek wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:

I think that this is more of an air quality control index report. Did you get a chance to read the EPA report? When I was a kid growing up here, as I said, the smog was really bad. Factories were bellowing out so much smoke that sometimes it looked dark outside even during the daytime. Now, the big concern in my area seems to be that we have one of the highest pollen counts in the nation.

The EPA is one of the most powerful bureaucracies in the country- even to the point to where they can dictate power management features in product design. The Energy Star compliance logo was mandated by them. Have you ever had friends complain about their laptop PC going to "sleep" (or in some cases, a coma!) and being hard to power back up? Same applies with printers, copiers, etc.

I once had a customer that bought a new Dell server, and all of the power management features were turned on by default, even to the point to where the server went into "sleep" mode, and disabled several hundred users' MS Exchange mailboxes. It took over an hour to disable all of the power saving features both in Windows, as well as the system BIOS, just to keep the thing up and running.

Do the Finns have some sort of emissions control or inspection program where vehicle exhaust systems have to be checked on an annual basis? (I have no idea about the law there, which is why I was asking.)

This figure shows the annual fossil fuel carbon dioxide emissions, in million metric tons of carbon, for a variety of non-overlapping regions covering the Earth.

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:21 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:This figure shows the annual fossil fuel carbon dioxide emissions, in million metric tons of carbon, for a variety of non-overlapping regions covering the Earth.
OK. But the EPA has plenty of charts, reports, etc. that are easily viewable from its website. If you were, let's say, the owner of a factory, or a chemical distributor, or a biomedical facility, etc. (or even a restaurant), here in the States, you would learn firsthand what it's like to have to deal with them.

Compliance measures of regulatory rules and laws are just about unbelievable, even more so for small businesses. The US is obviously not perfect, but great strides have been made over the years. In fact, the EPA has the authority to do pretty much what it wants, including steep fines or even shutting down an entire enterprise, if they see fit.

I have a (Syrian) friend who's (American) wife is an inspector for the state (TN) EPA that even wrote up and fined the US Army Corps of Engineers in once instance, and Wal-Mart in another. They had to pay their fines, and make the necessary corrections- or else....

You seem to think that nothing is done over here regarding the environment- which is not exactly accurate. Let me reassure you that could not be further from the truth. As I'd said, the California emissions standards, for example, are among the most stringent in the world. This brings another question, do you think that regulatory compliance (or more importantly, enforcement) in, let's say, Russia, India, or China is even one tenth as strict as it is here in America?

Let me know what you think if you get a minute....
Κύριε ἐλέησον

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:15 pm

About this Kyoto agreement that people are bitching about that USA has not signed----IF the USA signs this thing will it, REALISTICLY, help that much? ??? Will it be a cure for the climate change problem? ??? Or, is that hypothesis just a dream? ???
I wish USA would sign it so we could actually see if the contract would make a difference. Plus, maybe the protesters would then STFU! :D
It sounds pessimistic, but I don;t think Bush's sig on the Agreement would make that much difference at this point. But, no harm in trying. I say, Sign it, George!

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:54 pm

Well the Kyoto protocol is only a beginning in worldwide efforts to restrain CO2 emissions. Of course countries should not only sign it, but also stick to it. The aims of the Kyoto protocol are far from being enough to really change the situation drastically, it's only a first step - but GWB (or his administration, or the lobbyists in the background) is/are still so short-sighted to think the obligations of Kyoto could harm US industries, instead of looking into the future to see which enourmous costs and crisis the climate change will bring if it's not being prevented or attenuated, and blind to see even chances of new industrie branches (in Germany solar industries are growing extremly, creating lots of new jobs, just as other "green branches").

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:12 am

stratohawk wrote:Well the Kyoto protocol is only a beginning in worldwide efforts to restrain CO2 emissions. Of course countries should not only sign it, but also stick to it.The aims of the Kyoto protocol are far from being enough to really change the situation drastically, it's only a first step - but GWB (or his administration, or the lobbyists in the background) is/are still so short-sighted to think the obligations of Kyoto could harm US industries, instead of looking into the future to see which enourmous costs and crisis the climate change will bring if it's not being prevented or attenuated, and blind to see even chances of new industrie branches (in Germany solar industries are growing extremly, creating lots of new jobs, just as other "green branches").
How beautifully hypocritical and cynically self-serving, that Greens Party propaganda is. At the heart of the issue, "Green" is actually code for "Red". Are you actually a bona fide scientist with a degree in meteorology, Stratohawk, or are you a poli-sci (or pre-law) major merely repeating what you see in the editorials and passing it off as your own layman's scientific opinion?

I find it to be fascinating (conceptually speaking, almost very similar to Godwin's Law) that people who complain about "global warming" being "politicized", when it is glaringly apparent that very few people can speak of this topic without mentioning the name of George Bush (or, for that matter, Al Gore) in the very same sentence. In my opinion, this is not science, but merely a vehicle for the latest geopolitical/quasi-religious cult, with global warming (and the devil Bush) being its replacement theology.

In my opinion, the practitioners of endless complaints of "global warming" and George W. Bush are essentially the same people that we saw throwing rocks, Molotov cocktails, and burning cars (everyone's got to do their part for the 'environment', right?) before getting their heads cracked by Die Polizei for said bad behavior in Rostock last week.

I am curious, have you ever read Hemingway's "The Snows of Kilimanjaro" before?
Κύριε ἐλέησον