Sonata Arctica's UNIA is out there...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
88speedkeys

Re: Sonata Arctica's UNIA is out there...

Post by 88speedkeys » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:18 pm

Well, I couldn't help it, but I liked it from the first spin. I only had a 'best of' CD from these guys. But that has changed with UNIA. Yes I can understand that the real fans will be devided about this release. Yet I happen to like the more dark approach. A few more guitar solo's would be welcome (and that coming from a keyoardplayer).
I really fell in lover with 'My dreams but a drop af fuel' and Caleb.
All a matter of taste I guess..
I am who I am...

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:51 am

I don't like UNIA best of all Sonata albums (Ecliptica rules, does anyone else prefere Ecliptica?...those things like 8th Commandment or My Land ^_^) but I think it's something you have to get used to, because the songs aren't like sitting-around-and-sing-along...you know, with one melody you can remember at once and that stays in your mind ...
Find the songs quite confusing in the beginning.
But there are some I really do like, for example: black and white
Sonata changing their style...was quite interesting, but I liked their old style as well, if not better (as I said: Eclipticaa)
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
I looked for love in an empty world
but all I found was hate

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:23 am

I wouldn't worry too much, they still play all their great songs from what I gather from the setlists posted.

BTW, I'll see them live in a couple of weeks and they'll do an autograph signing session!! 8) :D
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:53 pm

OMG I would take all my albums with me! ... and T-Shirt...maybe it's strange having an authograph on a shirt (is it? Don't know) but I would like it!

What are they going to play? Do you already know?
...I suppose they will play some new songs as well, otherwise it would seem like they don't enjoy their new songs.
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
I looked for love in an empty world
but all I found was hate

nepi

Post by nepi » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:58 am

First when I heard UNIA I thought... "what the fk is going on..." Sonata definitively changed their music, but the longer I heard the songs, the deeper they became. Now I am addicted of those songs, the lyrics are great, the music is deep but for that you have to listen a couple of times.... and not to expect old stuff....

I love it!
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:06 am

nepi wrote:First when I heard UNIA I thought... "what the fk is going on..." Sonata definitively changed their music, but the longer I heard the songs, the deeper they became. Now I am addicted of those songs, the lyrics are great, the music is deep but for that you have to listen a couple of times.... and not to expect old stuff....

I love it!
Exactly, and they sound GREAT live, Black and White, Caleb and Paid in Full work perfectly in the setlist.
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

phoenix666

Post by phoenix666 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:49 pm

when i heard Unia for the 1st time, my thought was: "OMFG! WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO THEIR MUSIC?"... those songs indeed sounded confused and too melancholic, but listening to it a few more times those songs really GLUED to my head and i fell in love with them in a very special way!
Of course, it ain't the old Sonata anymore, but they still have their feeling, and Tony Kakko is still a great composer!!!
I watched them live in São Paulo in February and it was one of the best concerts EVER!
Hail to Sonata! :D

HvyMtlClickWitch

Post by HvyMtlClickWitch » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:22 am

Someone told me that Unia was like "doing acid with Tony Kakko's subconscious". Personally, I kind of like the way that his writing is sort of going off the deep end a little bit.

I loved WHG, and then when I heard Reckoning Night I thought "woah, this is f*cking wild!". With Unia, I think that perhaps the writing is not as good, but I still love the crazy darkness that is coming out of it.
Let no man surrender so long as he is unwounded and can fight.

eagledreamr

Post by eagledreamr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:35 pm

From what I've heard (live), it's not their best at all.
But I'm not a Sonata Arctica real fan anyway...
Life's to short to cry
Long enough to try