BBC: global warming sceptics may have been right...

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.

Global Warming

Reality
79%
Bullshit
21%

Total votes: 33

browneyedgirl
Re: BBC: global warming sceptics may have been right...

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:11 am

Carcass wrote:
black death wrote: P.S. Nice new avatar :D
Hehe, thanks. It's Klaus Kinski. He once threw hot potatos in the face of a theatre critic for not praising his performance enough.
Klaus? ??? :lol: That just reminded me that there was a Troll here a couple years or so ago named Klaus. Klaus Klittermaus. A real weird, but very venomous one! Of all the trolls that have ventured here I'd rank him pretty close to the top. :D I think he was Evangelion's buddy. :lol:

Back to topic: Carcass, you mentined energy-saving light bulbs. I have a house full of them&my security lights,too. The thing is, they are filled with Mercury vapor. Mercury is a known neurotoxin. I did research on these bulbs AFTER I purchased them&if I had known what I know now I'd stuck with my old flourescent bulbs!
Sure, these mercury bulbs use a drop of energy&last for years, but if you break one they release mercury into the air. Kinda defeats the purpose, huh? ???
Also, if you are foolish enough to report you have broken a mercury bulb, the government(EPA) can seal off your house for a year, AFTER they clean up the broken bulb at YOUR expense! :roll: This has actually happened to people.

Don't buses use gas, too? ???
Those hydrogen, and electric cars are very energy concious, but only someone like Donld Trump can afford one. :roll: Maybe they can be made cheaper years from now hopefully.
Has antone looked into the possibility of mass Balloon transportation? :D
That reminds me, the Zeppelin is being rethunk again as a transport system. :)
Not Led Zeppelin, :buh: the durigible blimp. :D

EDIT: Something I just received in an E-Mail. It seems we have to worry about microwave Popcorn now! :?
Actually I think lawyers are grasping at straws, trying to get cases regarding this "condition". ;)
I'm going to still eat this popcorn regardless. =P

Microwave Popcorn MEDICAL ALERT: Microwave popcorn could be making you sick!
=============
If you, or some you know has ever been exposed to microwave popcorn, then it's very important that you read the information below and then visit our website for more information regarding a fatal disease known as "popcorn lung".
An Associated Press article dated September 5, 2007 reported that recent warnings to popcorn factory workers about the dangers of lung disease from Diacetyl exposure, a chemical found in microwave popcorn, have now been extended to consumers who microwave popcorn at home and in the workplace. Symptoms of bronchiolitis obliterans, often referred to as “popcorn lung" include:
*Fixed airway obstruction
*Scarring of the lung
*Inflammation of the lung
*Dry cough
*Shortness of breath
*Diminished lung capacity
The results of a recent EPA study still have not been made public.
The EPA has refused to make the report available to the general public.
Last week, a health advocacy organization at George Washington University revealed
that a Colorado physician had notified the Food and Drug Administration in July
that she had a patient who had developed "significant lung disease".
------------------------------
There was a direct link to the website, but since I C&P'ed it, it did not show up as linkable.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:25 am

miditek wrote:
Carcass wrote:
black death wrote: P.S. Nice new avatar :D
Hehe, thanks. It's Klaus Kinski. He once threw hot potatos in the face of a theatre critic for not praising his performance enough.
Father of Natassja? (She's hot, or at least was back in the day) 8)
Yup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBDEQe9CjOU
Kinski's interpretation of the Gospels and Jesus. :lol:

black death

Post by black death » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:25 pm

Oh, I expected him to SING Gospels :lol: ...it would be great!
Carcass wrote: Hehe, thanks. It's Klaus Kinski. He once threw hot potatos in the face of a theatre critic for not praising his performance enough.
When I saw your avatar, I was thinking who's that guy and couldn't remember :( . I've seen with him something about Paganini, but it's been quite a long time and I don't know the name of the film :roll:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:50 pm

miditek wrote: All the Nobel committee is are a group of neo-Marxists heaping praise onto other self-congratulatory lefists like Gore.
Funny, I remember GWB was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize as well.

And do you even know anything about Marxism? Have you read the Communist Manifesto or any of his other works? You throw that term around an awful lot.
He's actually a watermelon, by the way; red at the core and green on the outside. Gore talks a lot, but in the end, he does very little- if anything.
You're guilty of the same thing. You still haven't answered to my previous (quite valid) question.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:54 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Don't buses use gas, too? ???
Let's use this very general scenario as an example.

On a daily commute, 50 people going to work will take 50 cars.

They could all fit into one bus and walk the rest of the way (hypothetically speaking, of course)

The one bus gives out much less CO2 than 50 cars. Therefore, each person causes far lower emissions than they would using their cars. Make sense now?
Those hydrogen, and electric cars are very energy concious, but only someone like Donld Trump can afford one. :roll: Maybe they can be made cheaper years from now hopefully.
Give it a few years. The auto industry depends on alternative fuels for its future.

OPOJ

Post by OPOJ » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:02 pm

Hydrogen and Electric cars won't help us with they continue getting electricity from coal and oil

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:59 am

OPOJ wrote:Hydrogen and Electric cars won't help us with they continue getting electricity from coal and oil
Good point.

Also, these big cities with the buses&subways packed to the gills STILL have enormous pollution problems. Maybe not from lots of cars, but from the manufacturing sector. IMO, manfacturing is where the clean-up is needed most.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 am

OPOJ wrote:Hydrogen and Electric cars won't help us with they continue getting electricity from coal and oil
No, hydrogen cars get their power from hydrogen. Sort of gives it away in the name :D Plus, if we increase renewable electricity production, like solar, hydroelectric and wind power electric cars will be a better option.

Even using an electric car under current circumstances will improve air quality in cities, as they are more energy efficient than petroleum-powered cars.

OPOJ

Post by OPOJ » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:19 pm

NeonVomit wrote: No, hydrogen cars get their power from hydrogen.
yeah, but where does the hydrogen comes from?
please, read this article from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle
NeonVomit wrote: if we increase renewable electricity production, like solar, hydroelectric and wind power electric cars will be a better option.
yeah, that will do it, but right now solar and wind power are really expensive and not that efficient, which demands a lot of ground space to build enough plants to make a difference. space most countries don't have.
the exception is the hydroelectric power, but there are environmental issues related to that

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:26 pm

There is a bil in Congress waiting to ban all Coal plants(factories powered by coal)in USA.
YET, China is opening a new factory powered by coal on average of 1 a week. 50 a year. In 8 years China will have over 400 new factories powered by coal.
India opens a new factory powered by coal on average of 2 a month. You do the math!
In other words, China&India's coal use within a decade will exceed all other industrial nations combined, AND will surpass by 5 times the amount of CO2 emissions allowed by te Kyoto Agreement.
So why isn't AL Gore&his buddies condemning China&India for their usage of Coal, which has been proven to be the biggest CO2 producer on the planet? ??? Maybe because they are not so much Anti-global warming as they are Anti-American! After all, China&India are not illiterate/uneducated countries who do not know what they are doing, so ignorance is not an excuse here.
Actually, most of the warming in the atmosphere took place PRE-1940. Well before there was vast increases in man-made CO2.

OPOJ

Post by OPOJ » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:37 am

browneyedgirl wrote: Maybe because they are not so much Anti-global warming as they are Anti-American!
Maybe because of Kyoto? Maybe because Bush hadn't said anything about reducing gas emissions before june/2007?
Now, he's all about cleaning the house, but of course, together with China and India. :wink: After all, they are two of the ten biggest economies of the world and have no limitations in the Kyoto Protocol.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:00 am

OPOJ wrote: yeah, that will do it, but right now solar and wind power are really expensive and not that efficient, which demands a lot of ground space to build enough plants to make a difference. space most countries don't have.
I think we're in agreement though that something has to be done. Saying 'oh there isn't enough space' for renewable energy is like simply resigning to our fate of either not using electricity to the same extent we do now, or destroying the world.

Something has to be done, whatever it is.