Losing interest

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Equinox

Re: Losing interest

Post by Equinox » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:05 am

Sho, I just think you're way too pessimist. I mean, you are right with the fact that some of us, most of us, have "outgrown" Stratovarius. We still respect them, appreciate their music and all that crap, but our taste for music is more mature now than before, like myself, it's not that 'rarely' listen to Strato, I just listen to them whenever the "shuffle" option in the player wants...but I don't listen to them as MUCH as I used to do years ago. Maybe 'cuz they haven't come with new-and good-stuff? Who knows. But hell, just wait until the new album comes out. I'll be as fresh of a fan as someone that just came to know them.

The forum? It ain't what it used to be. But I still come mostly everyday.
I don't read everything and post in every topic 'cuz it'd be too much to do.

Cool topic. :twisted:
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:51 am

The reason why I'm still hanging out in here, is that I hope the "good old times" are coming back for both Stratovarius and this forum with the new album. :)

black death

Post by black death » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:29 pm

:?
Well, I guess you feel like this 'cause nothing interesting 'bout Stratos is going on!

Last album released two years ago, almost no news about the new one, practically no touring, nobody from Stratos getting married, nobody driving in drunkenness or something worthy to pay attention to it... :D

I think this is the reason why these "too many drunken clown-games" are there...a lot of people here are used to come to this forum, but because nothing is going on, they are just waiting for the new album or for something new to speak about...and during this they "play" these druken clown-games :?

And about growing out of something... Hmmm :? . When for example Iron Maiden released new album last year, I was listening to Iron Maiden for a long time much more than whoever else (the new album as well as the older ones). When Stratos release new album, I guess I'll be listening Stratos much more than whoever else 8) . For me it's always like this, I don't know if I grew out of something, but there are truckloads of bands for whom I'm enthusiastic just once in my life (and after a short while I almost forget about their existence) and then, there are bands that I still keep in my mind, even when there's nothing new about them...and during that "boring" time I listen to many other bands whom I very willingly forget (at least for a while :P ) when one of these my favorites release a new album...

Sorry for long and boring message :?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:22 pm

Strato are playing gigs, they played Tuska and about to do Wacken... things are happening! Just most of it is behind the scenes.

We will see the new album soon.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

black death

Post by black death » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:32 pm

Stratofanius wrote:Hmm, it's not about that... their music just doesn't sound as good as it used to. It's hard to explain... it is not about the current situation.

By the way, I think that Strato's career has just been going downhill since Destiny
Hmm, I'm very curious about this new "back to roots" album :D . I hope it'll really be back to roots!
It was nice to see them live a month ago, but that didn't actually "recover" anything, if you know what I mean.
Well, I saw them 3 weeks ago here, and although, as you said, they didn't "recover" anything, their gig was still much better than the gigs of some of the bands who came with the new album, and finally even their fans were disappointed, not just the other festival visitors :?

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:33 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
By the way, I think that Strato's career has just been going downhill since Destiny :?
I dunno. I think I'm one of the few people who firmly believe Elements 1 is their best album since Visions. I listen to it more than almost any other stratoalbum.

black death

Post by black death » Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:39 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Strato are playing gigs, they played Tuska and about to do Wacken... things are happening! Just most of it is behind the scenes.
And they played at Masters of Rock!!! :P And they'll be playing in Italy and Spain... But it's not too much, it's not touring :?
Actually, I think they ARE PLAYING in Wacken right now :lol: ....why the fuck am I not there? :(
NeonVomit wrote:We will see the new album soon.
I hope so! :D

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:25 pm

Well, I agree at some point with Stratofanius. Mainly about the forum. The good thing is that Timo the last period is appearing on forum and we can make some discussions with him. All those games played do not touch me too. Perhaps of different taste of some things.
About Stratovarius music now, I have also listened a lot of things since I first heard to Strato but that doesn't mean that their music has become poor because of new sound and bands that I have discovered. Maybe I don't listen to them as I listened in the past, but this seems normal to me. The same thing happened when I was starting to listen to metal music and bands such as Metallica, Judas Priest, Manowar and a little time after I listened to Strato. It's about "levels" that we climb I would say.
What really bothers me about Strato is that their setlist contains almost nothing anymore from the 1989-1994 era.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:31 pm

Stratofanius wrote:
black death wrote: By the way, I think that Strato's career has just been going downhill since Destiny :?
I quess it went alittle down after Infinite, but it's almost pure quality after that too, Like the Elements pt2 is nicely different than pt1.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:02 am

exe knight wrote:
Stratofanius wrote:
black death wrote: By the way, I think that Strato's career has just been going downhill since Destiny :?
I quess it went alittle down after Infinite, but it's almost pure quality after that too, Like the Elements pt2 is nicely different than pt1.
Weird I loved Infinite and Elements pt 1 to death...
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:03 am

Wow, finally an interesting topic! :) I also want to mention some points that came to my mind:

First of all, I beg you not to complain about Stratovarius not being on tour, or being too slow with new material. Hey, count their published albums, then look at the time since the band exists, and then compare it to other bands. Stratovarius was always one of the most active bands, also when it comes to touring. 2 years with not too much going on (at least appearing so) is nothing to worry or complain about. And they ARE developing a new record. So PLEASE, be patient!

About "outgrowing" Stratovarius, about their music "being not as good as it was": Well, this is something one has to view from different perspectives. Of course, if you start to listen to a band in your youth (I started listening to them when I was 15 or 16, now I'm 24 ;-)), you go on in your personal development, and compared to that, the music of a respective band seems to stagnate. But this is nothing special. I mean, for me, on the one hand I also don't listen as much to them as some years ago. And, yes, as a teenager I probably was a bit more enthusiastic about the band.^^ But they still have a very special meaning to me, I love every second of their concerts, and I'm looking forward to their next record. I'm really grateful that this band still exists and continues on its way, after all the hard times they went through.
Probably most bands don't develop very far with their music, instead the people who listen to that music continue in their personal development. But I think it's better that way; just believe your favourite bands would try to find a new style on every album... What a mess would that be.

The forum: Yah, there might be a connection between the state the forum is in at the moment and the fact that the band is not very active, at least for the public. But that's not the problem. I don't know which times in the forum you remember, Stratofanius, at least I think of the times 3 or 4 years ago, when it was something completely different here. I also can't tell why... We survived the troll attacks and some network problems, but (as I often said before) especially the Stratovarius Discussion and this Other Discussion in English somehow went down. Not much happening except some games (which I do not really participate in, except the Stratovarius Song Game ;-)), sometimes political debates (which I find interesting, but the direction is always the same). I guess some years ago the community itself was still somehow closer, more personal. That has been lost, unfortunately. I also can't tell you why. Most of the old members have vanished, there are of course lots of other very nice "new" members, but nevertheless, it's not the same anymore.

Well, this is how life's working. :wink: We'll see what will happen in the next month, or next year, when hopefully the new album will be released!

black death

Post by black death » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:15 am

exe knight and stratoplayer,
read carefully (5th post from the top)! It was NOT ME, who wrote this sentence: :x
By the way, I think that Strato's career has just been going downhill since Destiny :?

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:35 am

black death wrote:exe knight and stratoplayer,
read carefully (5th post from the top)! It was NOT ME, who wrote this sentence: :x
Sorry man, I just pressed on quote message without looking carefully at who said it.
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:07 am

Stratofanius, I think that basicly part of it is that you are simply growing up&maturing as a person. I saw my own son go through this process. A a person matures their tastes may change in music, finding new things, and moving on from there. My son went from sycophant/avid fan of Metal to just one to enjoys the music for itself. Stratohawk put it so well that I won't go any further in regard to Stratovarius. They are great musicians creating great music, but so are hundreds of other bands, so, Stratofanius, there is no need to feel bad about how you feel.
As to this forum, IMO, it is still a fun place to come to, but some of the older members like Lucid, Painless_Cry, Lilith, HMCW, Clare, Nordic, Lady of Eternity,Stratochick, etc. will always be remembered fondly by some of us.
Maybe there are dull moments in the forum, but basicly it is a peaceful place where people can express themselves, so its still a good forum, IMO.
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:01 am

browneyedgirl wrote: As to this forum, IMO, it is still a fun place to come to, but some of the older members like Lucid, Painless_Cry, Lilith, HMCW, Clare, Nordic, Lady of Eternity,Stratochick, etc. will always be remembered fondly by some of us.
Maybe there are dull moments in the forum, but basicly it is a peaceful place where people can express themselves, so its still a good forum, IMO.
That's right, yah, and as we know, "The times are changing so fast I wonder how long it lasts", also concerning this forum. One always gotta make the best out of it. 8)

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:17 pm

NeonVomit wrote: I dunno. I think I'm one of the few people who firmly believe Elements 1 is their best album since Visions. I listen to it more than almost any other stratoalbum.
sounds like you're the only one in my opinion :wink:
I dunno, I just hate this album. Elements Part 2 is much more interesting in my opinion.
I know that many people say that the quality of Stratovarius material has decreased since Destiny, but that's not my opinion. The Infinite album is way under-rated in my opinion. There are plenty of extremely catchy and melodic stuffs on it. Plus the fact that Mother Gaia is one of their best ballad song.

@Stratofanius : I know what you mean. I have been there many times before. Of course there are better bands than Stratovarius (there are so many excellent bands around, including Stratovarius), but in a couple of months, you'll find yourself listening to Stratovarius again (at least the albums you used to love, like Twilight Time) and enjoy the music again!!!
I guess people get bored if they listen to the same bands or same albums too long, they must listen to and enjoy other stuffs sometimes.
If I had to use one of my stupid comparison, I'd say it's like husband cheating on his wife. He does that because he is tired of the "daily routine", but some day, he simply realizes that there is only one love in his life :-)
<b>This is wrong</b>

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:24 pm

browneyedgirl wrote: As to this forum, IMO, it is still a fun place to come to, but some of the older members like Lucid, Painless_Cry, Lilith, HMCW, Clare, Nordic, Lady of Eternity,Stratochick,
You can add Mare in the list, I think she deserves it.
I would say that people change with time, they get other interests in life (or, to make it short and clean, they get a life! :))
Only the hopeless people like me are still here around.
<b>This is wrong</b>

dirge

Post by dirge » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:14 pm

Stratofanius wrote:Strange thing is that Strato is one of the only bands which I "once loved and now they don't mean so much anymore".
I mean, I started to listen Iron Maiden nearly at the same time than Strato, but they're still GOLDEN band for me and I listen them every day. Those songs never get me bored, even I've heard all of them thousands of times. Up the irons! (and that was just an example)

There's other thing I have to admit: I've never liked majority of Strato's lyrics... why? Because they're very cheesy and horrible :P though sure, there are few exceptions.
Similar situation for me, though with the bands the other way round, I used to listen to Iron Maiden, Metallica and Aerosmith pretty much non stop about 11/12 years ago and loved them for years, now I can't listen to them at all, these are the bands that I think I was into when growing up with a real passion for music. When this passion inside of me was fading, I looked to other bands for the same buzz but didn't find it for years, that is, until I found Stratovarius. This band had everything I was looking for and more, the outstanding voice of Timo Kotipelto, great music with outstanding lyrics(that meant a lot to me) and the more was that I never thought a keyboard player could make me think "Wow, that is awesome"
So we all change, be it music tastes, movie tastes, dress style etc.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:41 pm

Stratofanius wrote: There's other thing I have to admit: I've never liked majority of Strato's lyrics... why? Because they're very cheesy and horrible :P though sure, there are few exceptions.
Erm... are you kidding? I mean, the style of Strato's lyrics might not be very sophisticated, but compared to MANY other bands they REALLY have some meaning, have something to say. Yes, the style might be a bit simple, but what also counts is the content, and I like it more when a band is singing about problems of mankind, interpersonal things and stuff like that instead of magicians, heroes, wars, bloodshed, etc etc.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:01 am

True, Strato's lyrics are one of the things that set them apart from many power metal bands. Most power metal is all about escapism and fantasy, Strato deals with real-life issues and personal feelings which I think is great. Sure, there are a few things here and there which are a bit strange to the native speaker, but given that English is not the first language of anyone in the band (as far as I know), they're pretty damn good.

I think Strato's best lyrics are in A Drop In The Ocean. Wonderful use of the language in the verses.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:25 am

NeonVomit wrote:True, Strato's lyrics are one of the things that set them apart from many power metal bands. Most power metal is all about escapism and fantasy, Strato deals with real-life issues and personal feelings which I think is great. Sure, there are a few things here and there which are a bit strange to the native speaker, but given that English is not the first language of anyone in the band (as far as I know), they're pretty damn good.

I think Strato's best lyrics are in A Drop In The Ocean. Wonderful use of the language in the verses.
Yes, besides the style itself some songs are really poetic, just like Drop in the Ocean. Also very beautiful, tragic and meaningful in one are for example Mother Gaia, Infinity, Season of Change, ...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Season of Change is amazing.

'And the meaning of this life, is to live and is to die... make the best out of your dreams, they're the world where you are free...'

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:57 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Season of Change is amazing.

'And the meaning of this life, is to live and is to die... make the best out of your dreams, they're the world where you are free...'
That and Infinity are my favorite Strato songs lyrically, and among my favorite period.

Rantanen

My favourite

Post by Rantanen » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:53 pm

Episode definitely. It was one of the first I heard and loved it to death at about the age 22-23. My brain, my antennae received the breathtaking atmosphere, really hit the nail on the spot. I may be not so young anymore, having without a doubt shed a few too many brain cells because of too much hanging out and using addictive substances, but that album still ranks as my favourite. Elements pt.2 sounded really cool as well. Most people saw it as over-produced, I guess, and I am no exception. It was really...big, if you know what I mean. Is "bombastic" the right word I'm looking for? Anyway, some of the songs sounder over the top. The few seconds of "studio chit chat" in between two of the songs sounded quite tasteless for such a professionally produced, hm, sterile album.

I think I went off-topic on this post a little bit, sorry about that. I was concentrating on other more important things in my life. This would have fit better on a "favourite" poll.

IceBreaker
Location: Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:39 pm

stratoplayer wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Season of Change is amazing.

That and Infinity are my favorite Strato songs lyrically, and among my favorite period.
Hey, I agree that too. Those beings my favorites and Infinity also as the song which has the most meaningful lyrics for me.

In my opinion many Strato´s lyrics have much to say compared to many metal bands, the lyrics have the "power of words" like TT sometimes has also written here.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"