Finland School Shooting

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Finland School Shooting

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:45 pm

"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Dawn_is_Here

Re: Finland School Shooting

Post by Dawn_is_Here » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:54 pm

I'm really surprised that something like that had happened in Finland.

It's said that the shooter survived his attemp of suicide, did he tell why did he do this?
Drugs aren’t metal. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways. :D

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:55 pm

Yes this is terrible :cry:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:14 pm

I was here couple of times since the shooting, but couldn't come up with something not too corny... I still can't.

What adds to the shock is that Finns like to think of their country as a bird's nest where these things simply do not happen.

I'm not sure about the condition of the shooter, but if he has been questioned already, the police have not published anything yet. But I seriously doubt that he had a clear motive. Simply put, he's mental.

black death

Post by black death » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:20 pm

I thought this is happening only in US :?

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:24 pm

...and Canada. To my knowledge Germany and Finland are the only European countries where this has happened.

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:38 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7082795.stm

Terrible. :~(
My sympathy and prayers go out to all of the families that were affected by this tragedy. :( This is awful.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

black death

Post by black death » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:45 pm

Carcass wrote:...and Canada. To my knowledge Germany and Finland are the only European countries where this has happened.
...haha...at MY high school, there was a guy who took the IMITATION of a gun to school and presented it at a woman teacher...and fired :shock: (with some small plastic bullet)...she was a bit labile so she got really scared and frightened and finally left the school :roll:

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Carcass wrote:I'm not sure about the condition of the shooter, but if he has been questioned already, the police have not published anything yet. But I seriously doubt that he had a clear motive. Simply put, he's mental.
TV news said the shooter is in a critical condition after shooting himself head.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

nefertari

Post by nefertari » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:53 pm

The shooter shot himself to head and is in a critical condition , the doctors say that he will not survive .
5 boys and 2 girls died and a principal of that school . :~(

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:38 pm

Really shocking, especially since I know a guy who lives in that town and some of his friends had been there when that happened... This is what loneliness does to people.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:57 pm

Dawn_is_Here wrote:It's said that the shooter survived his attemp of suicide, did he tell why did he do this?
He told it - Even before he executed his plan.
Here's what he wrote on his IRC-blog:

http://lobster.avenla.fi/ig-paivakirja.png

It's in Finnish and quite long, so I really don't have time to translate it right now, but the ending goes:

"HUMANITY IS OVERRATED! It's time to put NATURAL SELECTION & SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST back to rail!"

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:04 pm

We've talked alot of this on the Nintendo.fi forums.

We had really complicated discussions, I'm on my own kind of side, I'm trying to state how every human is as evil and how something bad must have happened to him too and that he had actually somekind of ideology, really evil indeed, but it's better than doing the same for no reason. But there is always reason and ansver for everything.

But I'll say no more, my head hurts already.
except I'll tell you this:
Ignorance is the source of all evil.
and
Forgiveness is the key.

IceBreaker
Location:Somewhere out from Strato-forum (=Etelä-Kymenlaakso)

Post by IceBreaker » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:06 pm

The shooter died tonight at 22:15 o´clock.
"I shall seize Fate by the throat; it shall certainly not bend and crush me completely"

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:11 pm

IceBreaker wrote:The shooter died tonight at 22:15 o´clock.
he says that he is good shooter but why he can't kill him self? :roll:
Meikä Ankka

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:13 pm

StratoTimo wrote:
When you try to kill yourself you don't have FP kuvakulmaa and you just need to shoot off half blindly, unless you're ace at using mirrors.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:27 pm

exe knight wrote:FP kuvakulmaa
It's FP angle, I believe. :wink:

StratoTimo

Post by StratoTimo » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:09 am

exe knight wrote:
StratoTimo wrote:
When you try to kill yourself you don't have FP kuvakulmaa and you just need to shoot off half blindly, unless you're ace at using mirrors.
Yes but if you shoot to your mouth... You kill your self
Meikä Ankka

Damien Thorn

Post by Damien Thorn » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:30 pm

Absolutely horrible news...

... and I was totally flabbergasted about this...

... until I heard Finland is the third country in the world rankings of gun possession per capita, right after the USA and Yemen...

Draw your own conclusions, I'd say.

Damien
Trite
Rhetorical
Cliched
Inane

Just a Vampire

Post by Just a Vampire » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:50 pm

completelly shocking.

I would expect that form any other country but Finland???
it's a horrible new, definitively there are young kids with serious problems everywhere.
Peace for the students and the teacher that died. :cry:
"now he knows his father betrays
now his wings turns to ashes to ashes his grave"

Iron Maiden: Fligth of Icarus

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:16 pm

Damien Thorn wrote:Absolutely horrible news...

... and I was totally flabbergasted about this...

... until I heard Finland is the third country in the world rankings of gun possession per capita, right after the USA and Yemen...

Draw your own conclusions, I'd say.

Damien
True, but I think they are mostly for hunting, not ideal for killing people. And the gun used in the school massacre was a .22 calibre pistol. He couldn't get the permission for a bigger gun.

I don't know much about these issues, they are rarely debated in the media, since crime and violence are not mega big problems over here. There certainly will be a debate now, I'll keep my eyes and ears open

finnlandia

Post by finnlandia » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:16 am

This is very terrible and sad. But not only in Finland but happened in America recently. :cry: :(
This child was an idiotic animal. This opinion of mine: :x :twisted: :evil: I am glad that he dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that I'm so evil.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:01 am

StratoTimo wrote:
exe knight wrote:
StratoTimo wrote:
Yes but if you shoot to your mouth... You kill your self
Well but it's also possible that he wasn't going to kill himself, or he didn't have time to think where to shoot.

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:26 pm

finnlandia wrote:
This is very terrible and sad. But not only in Finland but happened in America recently.
This child was an idiotic animal. This opinion of mine: I am glad that he dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry that I'm so evil.
Well... I think...you can't just blame him, even though the reason can't justify what he's done you have to look at the reason and also think of it...and need to think if there aren't some other people to blame as well. In most of the cases murder and crime aren't the fault of one single person. I think most times society is very responsible.
As exe knight says...
exe knight wrote:
Ignorance is the source of all evil.
I agree with that but would maybe say: ignorance is one source of evil. The unfair or selfish behaviour of people and also other absence of well...fairness and harmony between the people.
Doesn't make it less a crime though, but I think it's kind of silly to point at one man, shout: "look what he's done" and never look at oneself and the company one keeps.
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
I looked for love in an empty world
but all I found was hate

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:18 am

I've been a bit cut off from the outside world for the last week and I just caught wind of this now, I straight away came and logged in to make sure everyone was ok.

Terrible tragedy :(

It is shocking, but Finns seem to be very disciplined with firearms. Yes, a very high rate of gun ownership but a low crime rate. But Finland is not a utopia, and people do get upset.

With this incident I'm pretty sure gun laws will become tighter. This person obviously had mental problems and needed help, and he should not have been allowed to come into possession of firearms.

But then again who is there to blame.

My thoughts are with the families of the victims. And again, I hope everyone here is okay.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:38 am

Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:30 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21755646

So, history repeats itself. When are we going to learn. He was bullied. These days using another human being as a verbal punching bag is a death wish, especially if the person is already mentally unstable. The question is obvious---how long can a troubled person get bullied before he/she cracks&does something stupid?
It used to be people who were constantly picked on either ignored the taunts(and went home&took it out on their family), fought the smartasses provoking them, or just learned to live with being singled out as an outcast, realizing everybody does have their day. These days people singled out are not taking the Bullshit anymore. It's the signs of the times. You pick on someone at your own risk. Its bad enough to be picked on for no reason if you are sane, but if the person involved is alittle wacko to begin with, hey, you get what you order! You are adding fuel to the fire in aggrevating an unstable person, to say the least!
What that shooter did was horrible&there is absolutely no excuse for his actions. OTOH, can anyone say he was not provoked? Like I say, its the signs of the times.
I was more or less a geeky outcast in High School, and had my share of verbal confrontations&catfights, but instead of shooting people I went home and had a box of chocolate chip cookies, a few brews from my Dad's stash, or looked up Jim Bob and had a fling to restore my broken self-esteem. Also, I had enough sense to realize there was life after High School&that these smartasses would not always be so cool, in 10 years or so they'd probably have THEIR share of unhappiness to deal with.
The point is, an unstable person(like these school shooters)cannot see the reality of tomorrow. All they know is their pain&ending what is seemingly causing that pain. Once again, this does NOT excuse what they do&they should be dealt with the fullest harsh penalty of the law.

I also have to wonder about this shooters parents&if they saw the signs that their son was troubled?
As a parent, I could always tell if my son was depressed, or if something was bothering him. There are signs each child expreses&parents learn to see those litle cues/clues. And, my parents always knew my little clues. Parents can be annoyingly psychic sometimes. Thank God! ;)

These incidents are horribly tragic, and in many ways, in hindsight, somewhat preventable.

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:56 pm

These are horrible news and is a terrible tragedy, but somehow such news don't suprise me anymore. I guess this is a bad sign for the state our societies are in. :?

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:11 am

@stratohawk, here is something that happened in your neck of the woods. It is apparent that there are many troubled teens in the world. So sad, because those years are ideally the happiest&most carefree times of life. Its a reflection of society and its expectations of human beings, and the times we are living in, IMO.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/11 ... index.html

Heiserich

Post by Heiserich » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:15 pm

Looks like this kind of events is becoming some sort of a fashion for outsider kids in schools all over the western world. I guess, partly it generates itself over and over because of the media-echo. However, IMO it's the increasing toughness of our societies, the need to compete against each other and the uncertainty about your social status that makes these kids get to that point of aggressive desperation. Maybe we really have to think over the structure of society and economy.
Life can only be understood in reverse
But must be lived forwards...
I'm losing my senses, I'm losing my senses

D. Mustaine