Mixing and Mastering

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Lightyear
Mixing and Mastering

Post by Lightyear » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:03 pm

I thought I'd rant about this here.
Why the hell is the mixing (or mastering) or whatever so crappy nowadays on most of the albums and DVDs ??

One example would be Death Magnetic, where the sound is distorted in many parts. (The drums in particular). It was recorded so loudly, that it's "overmodulated" or something.
It would have been a good album otherwise but the crappy recording ruined the whole thing.

Same goes for the new Dimmu Borgir DVD, where the drums are too loud also. The list of new albums that have shitty sound can go on and on.

It seems that people don't know how to produce metal anymore, or then the current generation of producers has gone deaf already.. :P

I hope the Strato guys take care of this with the new album. Crappy production can be an album killer...
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
is just a freight train coming your way

stratoplayer

Re: Mixing and Mastering

Post by stratoplayer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:12 pm

Or maybe Lars thinks that will make the album "heavier"?
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Lightyear

Post by Lightyear » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:38 pm

stratoplayer wrote:Or maybe Lars thinks that will make the album "heavier"?
Yeah, seems so. I found this after some digging..
http://mastering-media.blogspot.com/200 ... on-is.html

:pissed2:

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:15 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Gmex_4hreQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Gmex_4hreQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Personally I'm looking forward to a sound reproduction chain which fully supports 80 bit ("long double") floats. That way, my stereo will have the dynamic range to play back anything -- from the sound of half a proton dropping onto a pile of cat hairs, to the sound of a gazillion brazillion quintillion extra-large hydrogen bombs going off simultaneously inside a black hole.... it will be great, it will feel just like being there :lol:

Keyssion

Post by Keyssion » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:18 pm

It's true that often music isn't mixed or mastered (or both) well enough. I have always enjoyed the fact how Stratosongs have been mixed. I hope it remains as good :) Also Sabaton's newest album has been mixed damn well I think!

Cranberries' albums are pretty well mixed too :)

That video's pretty good by the way!

It's funny how awful many songs sound from their quality when listened through good headphones. So many Metallica records sounds unbelievable sloppy or badly mixed when listened through AKG studio headphones for instance :)

By the way Jens! Did Timo T. completely manage the recording process on Strato albums?

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:05 pm

JensJohansson wrote:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Gmex_4hreQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Gmex_4hreQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Personally I'm looking forward to a sound reproduction chain which fully supports 80 bit ("long double") floats. That way, my stereo will have the dynamic range to play back anything -- from the sound of half a proton dropping onto a pile of cat hairs, to the sound of a gazillion brazillion quintillion extra-large hydrogen bombs going off simultaneously inside a black hole.... it will be great, it will feel just like being there :lol:
Whooboy... that will be the day, thought I wonder if you would get any work done and not spend the rest of your life just playing around with the loopback effect. :p
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

AGAG

Post by AGAG » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:52 am

Keyssion wrote: By the way Jens! Did Timo T. completely manage the recording process on Strato albums?
+1
---...---

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:52 am

Lightyear wrote:Same goes for the new Dimmu Borgir DVD, where the drums are too loud also. The list of new albums that have shitty sound can go on and on.
Dimmu Borgir has a new DVD? Why wasn't I informed. :o

Lightyear

Post by Lightyear » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:57 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Lightyear wrote:Same goes for the new Dimmu Borgir DVD, where the drums are too loud also. The list of new albums that have shitty sound can go on and on.
Yeah they do. It's called "The Invaluable Darkness". :twisted:

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:52 pm

Lightyear wrote:I thought I'd rant about this here.
Why the hell is the mixing (or mastering) or whatever so crappy nowadays on most of the albums and DVDs ??

One example would be Death Magnetic, where the sound is distorted in many parts. (The drums in particular). It was recorded so loudly, that it's "overmodulated" or something.
It would have been a good album otherwise but the crappy recording ruined the whole thing.

Same goes for the new Dimmu Borgir DVD, where the drums are too loud also. The list of new albums that have shitty sound can go on and on.

It seems that people don't know how to produce metal anymore, or then the current generation of producers has gone deaf already.. :P

I hope the Strato guys take care of this with the new album. Crappy production can be an album killer...
Dammit, that's something i was just wondering few days ago!
Strange indeed.
You take a listen to At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul; Metallica -...and justice for all; Decapitated - Spheres of Madness; (which were recorded more than 10 years ago) and they can destroy many "new" productions such as Dead Magnetic and many others.
And despite of the music, the recording, mixing and the entire production tastes bad.
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:17 pm

the mix and recording process have much more influnce on a song then what the people actualy played. how we listen determines what we hear and there can be some serius differences in the how and that transferes to different reactions. everyone already hears differently and has different tastes. with the manipulation that sound can get when people hear it that can even further the differences in opionion. its sort of like there are so many groups and some will call the music unemotional and others will call it deeply emotional. there really is no objective way to judge that kind of thing.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:51 pm

Lightyear wrote:
Mormegil wrote:
Yeah they do. It's called "The Invaluable Darkness". :twisted:
I bought it few days ago, but thought the drums were ok. They didn't sound any louder than on the albums.

Malteada

Post by Malteada » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:23 pm

discovery channel should have a program about a recording studio. and how to produce music (especially Metal)
My grandmother don't let me see Chabelo.