the myth of AC/DC

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
nepi
the myth of AC/DC

Post by nepi » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Guys, the new album is out. Unfortunately, I don't have it so far, but will hear it soon...

I just wondered, what makes AC/DC what they are... They announced a gig in a venue of 13'000 spectators here in Zurich, and it was sold out after 29mins - there was no desk sell, only online and hotline. It is said that 200'000 calls were made after they started to sell it (8 a.m.) and the page was not available after 7.30 a.m.
At 10am you could find tickets on auction page for already 500 bucks!

The Stones came to Switzerland last year and they sold more than 55'000 tickets - the biggest gig in Switzerland ever! But I think, the run to AC/DC-Tix is much bigger and stronger than anything else I've seen! They were out of stage for the last 6 years, not a single sign was heard, and now this.... I think AC/DC has the same potential!

Is this similar in your country/where you live? What is the myth of AC/DC?

I think it could be the mix of a straight-forward rock n roll, classics over 30 years and the guys who are still completely down to earth... But I dunno exactly....

Just wondered what you guys think about it...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

browneyedgirl

Re: the myth of AC/DC

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:25 am

I think tomorrow there is supposed to be a whole day of AC/DC on VH-1 Classic. Videos, concerts, interviews, etc. So, if you have cable or satellite and like the band, its going to be an all day event.

My son told me about this. I don't have cable or satellite so I don't know.

dirge

Post by dirge » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:39 pm

They have never made a poor album! Everything they have ever done is great! Not many bands achieve this, even our beloved Stratovarius!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:49 pm

YES! It IS today. All day long. So if you like AC/DC watch VH-1 Classic. Its a marathon! :D

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:08 pm

Just got the new AC/DC album and it KICKS ASS.

these guys have not lost their touch, they still are a great band and will continue to be so.

They are going to be like Elvis, their retirement will be when they die, and even when they do people will probably claim they've had Angus sightings. :lol:
metal feeds the beast

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:36 pm

I don't like them too much... Though, of course, I learned electric guitar by playing their songs. 8) But I'm not that much into Rock Classics. I also don't understand the hype which is created about the Stones. But well... Probably this is all because I'm from a generation after those bands started.

stratohawk

Post by stratohawk » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:40 pm

dirge wrote:They have never made a poor album! Everything they have ever done is great! Not many bands achieve this, even our beloved Stratovarius!
Well, they make the same music all the time. :D It's the same with Motörhead. They don't make bad music, they just produce the same music again and again.

dirge

Post by dirge » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 am

stratohawk wrote:
dirge wrote:They have never made a poor album! Everything they have ever done is great! Not many bands achieve this, even our beloved Stratovarius!
Well, they make the same music all the time. :D It's the same with Motörhead. They don't make bad music, they just produce the same music again and again.
Except Motorhead have made some right old stinkers among their good tunes! :lol:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:34 am

but in AC/DC's case using the same old formula has brought them huge success and brought us some truly great tunes.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:06 am

ill have to give it another listen. The first time through had zero tracks that poped out for me.

black death

Post by black death » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:51 pm

nepi wrote:They announced a gig in a venue of 13'000 spectators here in Zurich, and it was sold out after 29mins - there was no desk sell, only online and hotline. It is said that 200'000 calls were made after they started to sell it (8 a.m.) and the page was not available after 7.30 a.m.
At 10am you could find tickets on auction page for already 500 bucks!
Something similar here...venue for circa 18.000 people sold out during first day (dunno when exactly). The sale started at midnight and many fans were waiting in a non-stop ticket service (=some gas stations) to buy the ticket asap. Unfortunately not me, so I got just a ticket for sitting :roll:
nepi wrote:But I think, the run to AC/DC-Tix is much bigger and stronger than anything else I've seen!
Aaah, that's shit, but I'm afraid run to Madonna-tix was something similar ??? :puke:
nepi wrote:What is the myth of AC/DC?

I think it could be the mix of a straight-forward rock n roll, classics over 30 years and the guys who are still completely down to earth... But I dunno exactly....
It's the eight world mystery :P . As stratohawk said:
Well, they make the same music all the time. It's the same with Motörhead. They don't make bad music, they just produce the same music again and again.
By doing still the same music, they're doing something what other bands are criticized for! I often remember AC/DC when I'm reading some review where the author say something like "the album is very good, but it's too much similar to the previous one, that's the only reason why I have to give it a few points less".

I'm not such a big fan of them and this huge interest in their gigs is really surprising for me. I'm going there just to find out what's so special about them, because I still don't know. Some of my friends love them to death :lol: , but for me it's a band the same as any other band. And the fact that they're doing the same things for 30 years doesn't impress me at all. But for many people there's chemistry that works! If you were checking out their site in a few previous weeks, you could have seen that practically all the gigs were sold out during first day. Why the hell don't they want to move them to bigger venues?? :?