I want to learn Finnish/Suomi, who could teach me?

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
finnlandia
Re: I want to learn Finnish/Suomi, who could teach me?

Post by finnlandia » Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Hyvää päivän jatkoa!

Kyra

Post by Kyra » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:08 am

There are a few Finnish educational materials on this side. And other languages too.

http://uz-translations.net/index.php

hansu_s

Post by hansu_s » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Hei!
I'm from Finland. So if somebody needs help... I can teach you to learn how to speak Finnish(=suomen kieli). It's very easy :lol: .. to me...
I'm sorry about my bad english skills... ( In Finland we have to study also Swedish in the school and it sucks..(sorry Jens) and I can also speak little bit German too..)

Pitäkää hauskaa suomen kielen parissa! Jonain päivänä osaatte sitä täydellisesti!
who and why???

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:46 am

Finnish looks like Norwegian and Italian went to war and the only thing that survived were vowels and the symbols above the letters.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

phoenix666

Post by phoenix666 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:15 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Finnish looks like Norwegian and Italian went to war and the only thing that survived were vowels and the symbols above the letters.
indeed :lol:

but anyway i like this "warletter" and i wanna try it someday!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:41 pm

phoenix666 wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Finnish looks like Norwegian and Italian went to war and the only thing that survived were vowels and the symbols above the letters.

Someone also said Finnish sounded like the language of Japanese cavemen. :lol:

Noxica

Post by Noxica » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:16 am

Mormegil wrote:
phoenix666 wrote:

My favourite, which probably only Brits will understand, is that the Finns ended up with all the vowels the Welsh didn't want.

Then there was my mate's reaction to some choice Finnish vocabulary: "D'you think they just all got blind drunk one night and decided to make up a language?"

As for whoever it was who said Mandarin's complicated - it isn't really when you get into it. Mandarin grammar especially is amazingly beautiful in its simplicity, and some of the linguistic conventions are almost mindblowingly logical when you think about them properly. I'm currently learning Norwegian, Finnish and Mandarin, and Norwegian's basically Scandinavian German, Finnish is hilariously complicated (with a certain twisted logic to it) and Mandarin's my light relief every week.
Tin coffepots, iron coffeepots
They're no use to me
If I can't have a proper cuppa coffee from a proper copper coffeepot
I'll have a cuppa tea!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:52 pm

Noxica wrote:
Mormegil wrote:
phoenix666 wrote:

My favourite, which probably only Brits will understand, is that the Finns ended up with all the vowels the Welsh didn't want.

That makes sense. At least Finland is a real country :lol:

a_Sniper

Post by a_Sniper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm

Most common word u need to learn in finnish is:

"Perkele"

who can translate that first? :D

rakettitulppa

Post by rakettitulppa » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:46 pm

a_Sniper wrote:Most common word u need to learn in finnish is:

"Perkele"

It really doesn't mean anything, it's just the most useful word in Finland :) No, it means banana.

Tulikaarme

Post by Tulikaarme » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:42 pm

a_Sniper wrote:Most common word u need to learn in finnish is:

"Perkele"

I think the Dudesons explained that one pretty well: "'Saatana' means Satan, and 'perkele' is the great grandfather of Satan." :D

Seriously talking, I've taught some Finnish to few persons on this forum already, and I think that all Finns around here should try to teach real stuff instead of making fun about others' ignorance. :roll: No hard feelings anyone, this is just my opinion.

Good luck learning!

Luinedhel

Post by Luinedhel » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:09 am

This song is about, a diamond...
It's not green, blue, white or yellow... But is Black Diamond!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:25 am

Tulikaarme wrote: Seriously talking, I've taught some Finnish to few persons on this forum already, and I think that all Finns around here should try to teach real stuff instead of making fun about others' ignorance. :roll: No hard feelings anyone, this is just my opinion.

Good luck learning!

Give us a list of useful words and phrases! I want to visit Finland again in the near future (I promise I'll behave myself this time :P) and I want to be able to communicate! I did manage to navigate the Helsinki public transport system however.

Noxica

Post by Noxica » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:55 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Tulikaarme wrote: Seriously talking, I've taught some Finnish to few persons on this forum already, and I think that all Finns around here should try to teach real stuff instead of making fun about others' ignorance. :roll: No hard feelings anyone, this is just my opinion.

Good luck learning!

Give us a list of useful words and phrases! I want to visit Finland again in the near future (I promise I'll behave myself this time :P) and I want to be able to communicate! I did manage to navigate the Helsinki public transport system however.
If you want to learn useful phrases and suchlike, I can recommend Terttu Leney's Teach Yourself Finnish and the little yellow Langenscheidt Finnish dictionary - between the two it contains everything you need to know, and a lot you'll never need in your life. Unless you ever need to compliment a porcelain painter on his or her work that is (the selection of vocab and phrases in Leney is particularly idiosyncratic).

Oh and as nearly every Finnish speaker I know said when I started learning, let me know when you hit Finnish grammar...you'll need someone to rant at :lol:

(If you just want a few phrases, I would, but it seems a bit cheeky doing so on a forum with so many native speakers on it, when I've only been learning since September :oops: )
Tin coffepots, iron coffeepots
They're no use to me
If I can't have a proper cuppa coffee from a proper copper coffeepot
I'll have a cuppa tea!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Noxica wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:

Good luck learning!

If you want to learn useful phrases and suchlike, I can recommend Terttu Leney's Teach Yourself Finnish and the little yellow Langenscheidt Finnish dictionary - between the two it contains everything you need to know, and a lot you'll never need in your life. Unless you ever need to compliment a porcelain painter on his or her work that is (the selection of vocab and phrases in Leney is particularly idiosyncratic).

Oh and as nearly every Finnish speaker I know said when I started learning, let me know when you hit Finnish grammar...you'll need someone to rant at :lol:

(If you just want a few phrases, I would, but it seems a bit cheeky doing so on a forum with so many native speakers on it, when I've only been learning since September :oops: )
Be more specific on what kind of situations you'd like to get phrases for and I'd be more than happy to help. I'm on a one week vacation and I've got nothing better to do. :lol:

Perhaps you could start with these:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_profanity

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Mormegil wrote:I'm on a one week vacation and I've got nothing better to do. :lol:
Fuck you, Mormegil. Fuck you. :x

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm

Mormegil wrote:I'm on a one week vacation and I've got nothing better to do. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Spamming is serious business!

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 pm

Some things anyone can do other than paying stratoforumers to teach :P

1) Search for univercities that offer foreign language courses, I don't think it's supposed to cost much and it's got to have an appropriate level.

2) Send a letter/email/call the Finnish embassy in your country for professors in your town that can teach you. It's obviously pricier, but you can do lessons as fast or slow as you like.

The second is what I *almost* did, learning Finnish unfortunately became one of my lowest priorities to date.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:31 pm

Noxica wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:

Good luck learning!

I'll see what I can achieve. I usually have the language-learning skills of an inebreated frog...

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:23 pm

JensJohansson wrote:
RazielSR wrote:I can't understand this topic. If you wanna learn a language, what's the point of being here saying "I wanna learn suomi". If you wanna learn suomi, then go to learn it in some academy or something.
As usual, for any curious Finnish dilettantes, I can but proffer my own shitty online translation tool:

http://jens.org/finx/
Kiitos!! This is the first word I learned that basically from your lives :lol: :lol: The second is Hauska tavata! :wink: :wink:
It's a far,far better thing that I do than I have ever done;It's a far,far better rest that I go than I have ever known.

Luna

Post by Luna » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Luinedhel wrote:Hi everybody!

My name is David, I'm new on this forum. I am 17 years old, from Argentina, and i would like to learn to speak and read Suomen Kieli.
I think there's a lot of people here who speaks that tongue, since this forum is from Finland, so I'm waiting for someone to let me know something :D

Cya!
There is a type of teaching software named Eurotalk that devides Finnish into three levels,and it also provides several languages as learning language.(BTW,I'm not a sales promoter :wink: ))I haven't bought it yet but very interested in.If you wanna get more details you can check Amazon.com,there are a lot of materials relating to Finnish besides this software.Good luck to you!
It's a far,far better thing that I do than I have ever done;It's a far,far better rest that I go than I have ever known.