HBO is going to adapt George Martin's Game Of Thrones

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
browneyedgirl
Re: HBO is going to adapt George Martin's Game Of Thrones

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:20 pm

The first season was wonderful! My husband has not read the books and he thinks the show is great! He especially likes Dany, "the dragon lady" he calls her. He thinks she is gorgeous(which she IS). 8)
The second season has been even better, and I cannot hardly wait until the third season, and the Red Wedding!
btw, that guy who plays Walder Frey was one of the best casting moves so far--man, what a grouchy scrooge! :lol:

I hope Lyanna is cast, and alot of people are hoping Bridget Regan gets the part, sure she's older than the Lyanna in the books, but the whole cast of characters has been aged up. Also, Dacey Mormont would be a good role for Bridget to play, or maybe one of the Dorne ladies, Ellaria Sand, maybe.

There is a hypothesis now that the Mad King is possibly Jon Snow's father, that he raped Lyanna while she was held captive.

A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best, if not THE best series, around. Books AND TV!
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:11 pm

RazielSR wrote:Here in spain we are seeing now chapter 8, second season. But please do not post spoilers in this topic :)
The next one, episode 9, Blackwater is the best of them all, I'll spoil you that much :)
The show does air in Finland, but I've no idea if we're even through the season 1. I use other means to watch the episodes right after they've aired in the States. Image
browneyedgirl wrote:I cannot hardly wait until the third season, and the Red Wedding!
Everyone kept going on about that scene and I couldn't resist, I had to read a sneak peak at http://awoiaf.westeros.org/ what it was about. I kind of wish I didn't, but on the other hand, I'm a lazy reader and knowing what happens also kind of motivates me to read the books even more. Just to know how it all went down exactly. :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:37 am

Mormegil wrote:
RazielSR wrote:Here in spain we are seeing now chapter 8, second season. But please do not post spoilers in this topic :)
The next one, episode 9, Blackwater is the best of them all, I'll spoil you that much :)
The show does air in Finland, but I've no idea if we're even through the season 1. I use other means to watch the episodes right after they've aired in the States. Image
browneyedgirl wrote:I cannot hardly wait until the third season, and the Red Wedding!
Everyone kept going on about that scene and I couldn't resist, I had to read a sneak peak at http://awoiaf.westeros.org/ what it was about. I kind of wish I didn't, but on the other hand, I'm a lazy reader and knowing what happens also kind of motivates me to read the books even more. Just to know how it all went down exactly. :)
Well, I am not going to spoil the Red Wedding by going into details about but let's just say it is VERY sad. and very unexpected. :wink: I know I did not see it coming. :D And i am so curious as how the producers of GoT are going to recreate it. I have some good ideas, but let's just leave it at that. :)

As to reading the books I advise you not to skip ahead because it's just better to read it, and experience it yourself. My son would not even tell me anything whenever I'd ask :lol: he'd just say, "Mama, read it yourself because you'd hate me if I spoiled it for ya." :lol: Seriously, it is better when it's a surprise. :)

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

bockrocker

Post by bockrocker » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:28 am

I'm really looking forward to the Arya parts in upcoming seasons actually, I read all of the books (I think?) and they still didn't resolve her plotline at all really, and hers is very different setting and action than the rest.

I dread the Bran parts. I don't think this is too big a spoiler, but he has mystical powers. And is boring.

My favorite of course is Tyrion. Despite everything he does to aid his mostly evil family, he is likable and oddly honorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn2l2_v6Ur8

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:34 pm

I have read all the books except the last one, "Dance with Dragons". I am waiting for it to come out on paperback. My son has already read DWD on hardback but refuses to tell me anything about it! :x :lol: :lol: :lol: So, I guess I shall be forced to wait a few more months until I can read it myself. :D

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:27 pm

GWB head on a spike on The Game of Thrones? I did not even notice! :lol: GWB said he has not even watched the show, but now he is curious. He was laughing about this. I don't think he was offended at all. After all his head was up there with the honorable Ned Stark, and a Septa(the same as a nun).
From what I have seen King Robert and his crew held about the same viewpoints politically as Bush, so....there ya go. :)

bockrocker

Post by bockrocker » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:32 am

Who looks so closely at the background to notice these things. Anyway grats to them, now they have to go and reedit it and all future releases will lack this uh..."easter egg", everyone loses ;p

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:06 am

bockrocker wrote:Who looks so closely at the background to notice these things. Anyway grats to them, now they have to go and reedit it and all future releases will lack this uh..."easter egg", everyone loses ;p
I don't think many people noticed this at all. :lol: Now people will be watching just to see what other goodies they can find.

I think one of those girls at the brothel had a Fredericks of Hollywood thong on, and in the medieval era there was no Fredericks of Hollywood. :lol: :lol: :lol:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:20 pm

GRRM supposed to have a cameo in one of the first season episodes and i think I found him. At Dany's wedding feast at the very beginning there is a fat man with a gray beard dressed in a white robe, wearing a black tuban who presents Dany with a gift. He is there all of 3 seconds. I think that is tha man: GRRM. 8) :)

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:44 am

He would do as good as any. Just keep a good supply of wine, women, and burnt bacon and the little fella is happy. :D

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:GRRM supposed to have a cameo in one of the first season episodes and i think I found him. At Dany's wedding feast at the very beginning there is a fat man with a gray beard dressed in a white robe, wearing a black tuban who presents Dany with a gift. He is there all of 3 seconds. I think that is tha man: GRRM. 8) :)
He was supposed to have a cameo on the pilot that was never aired and mostly reshot after the show got a full season, due to recasts (Dany and Catelyn) and pretty extensive rewrites. He visited the Morocco sets where the Pentos scenes were originally filmed.

As to the whole deal with the Bush's head - this non-story is fucking idiotic and was blown up out of proportions. It's something Benioff and Weiss mention on DVD commentary during the scene, they ay something like "Hey, after we shot the scene, someone pointed out that this head looks kinda like GWB". That's it. They didn't order the head specifically and they didn't create it.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Shurik wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:GRRM supposed to have a cameo in one of the first season episodes and i think I found him. At Dany's wedding feast at the very beginning there is a fat man with a gray beard dressed in a white robe, wearing a black tuban who presents Dany with a gift. He is there all of 3 seconds. I think that is tha man: GRRM. 8) :)
He was supposed to have a cameo on the pilot that was never aired and mostly reshot after the show got a full season, due to recasts (Dany and Catelyn) and pretty extensive rewrites. He visited the Morocco sets where the Pentos scenes were originally filmed.

As to the whole deal with the Bush's head - this non-story is fucking idiotic and was blown up out of proportions. It's something Benioff and Weiss mention on DVD commentary during the scene, they ay something like "Hey, after we shot the scene, someone pointed out that this head looks kinda like GWB". That's it. They didn't order the head specifically and they didn't create it.
That wasn't GRRM? Well, I'll be darn, that guy looked just like him. lol
I feel the same way about the Bush head incident, it's really silly. Nobody I know who has seen that scene even thought anything about it. Now in future copies of the DVD the head is going to be removed. Which means those of us who have the origninal has a collector's item. Sort of. :)

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:03 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:I have read all the books except the last one, "Dance with Dragons". I am waiting for it to come out on paperback. My son has already read DWD on hardback but refuses to tell me anything about it! :x :lol: :lol: :lol: So, I guess I shall be forced to wait a few more months until I can read it myself. :D
Hasn't it already? Because I just bought this in my country:

They're all paperbacks. I went to the bookstore to purchase A Clash of the Kings in Finnish, but instead I found this and restarted reading the saga in English.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 pm

Mormegil wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:I have read all the books except the last one, "Dance with Dragons". I am waiting for it to come out on paperback. My son has already read DWD on hardback but refuses to tell me anything about it! :x :lol: :lol: :lol: So, I guess I shall be forced to wait a few more months until I can read it myself. :D
Hasn't it already? Because I just bought this in my country:

They're all paperbacks. I went to the bookstore to purchase A Clash of the Kings in Finnish, but instead I found this and restarted reading the saga in English.
My son works at Books-A-Million and they have not gotten them in paperback. Softcover, yes, but not the paperbacks.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Melisandre, and King Stannis of Dragonstone.
Yeah, she's hot, and he's "poking" her---for religious reasons, of course. :wink:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:57 am

Littlefinger/Petyr Baelish who is a conniving pimp who still holds a torch for Catelyn Tully Stark after being in love with her when they were both young teens.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 am

I just finished A Dance with Dragons last week. I read through all the ~5000 pages of the saga in about 6 weeks, when I thought it would take me at least 6 months. :) I can't wait for The Winds of Winter, its beginning is going to be pretty exciting to say the least, with all the genuinely thrilling cliffhangers.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:25 pm

Mormegil wrote:I just finished A Dance with Dragons last week. I read through all the ~5000 pages of the saga in about 6 weeks, when I thought it would take me at least 6 months. :) I can't wait for The Winds of Winter, its beginning is going to be pretty exciting to say the least, with all the genuinely thrilling cliffhangers.
:lol: I finished with Feast of Crows just the other day. I will read A Dance with Dragons soon...I thought it would take me a lot of months too, but man...these books are really really fascinating. And as for the TV series...can't wait to 31-03-2013!
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:09 am

Mormegil wrote:I just finished A Dance with Dragons last week. I read through all the ~5000 pages of the saga in about 6 weeks, when I thought it would take me at least 6 months. :) I can't wait for The Winds of Winter, its beginning is going to be pretty exciting to say the least, with all the genuinely thrilling cliffhangers.
I know the feeling! i finished books 1-4 in a few days each. I have ADwD on my Christmas list.
BTW, wonder who is going to be cast as Mance Rayder, there's a rumor a well-known is going to cast for the King of the Far North. ;) Dominic West turned it down, and I have a feeling he seriously will regret that later.
Mance I think is going to use the Others to try to gain the Iron Throne for himself, but that's just my opinion.
Wonder if Hugh Laurie, or Jason Isaacs or Craig Parker would like to be the Wildling King, or maybe Adrain Paul? I also heard 2 American actors were being considered for that role. Damn............. :shock:

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Aaand the King Beyond The Wall is:

Ciarán Hinds

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/08/17/game- ... nes-mance-

I vaguely remember the guy from some movie(s) and I (vaguely :P ) remember liking him in those. Can't say I'm too disappointed with the choise.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:47 pm

Mormegil wrote:Aaand the King Beyond The Wall is:

Ciarán Hinds

I vaguely remember the guy from some movie(s) and I (vaguely :P ) remember liking him in those. Can't say I'm too disappointed with the choise.
So, they finally picked someone? Good choice, I agree! :bigok: Wasn't he in Rome? ???
I have not been on winter is coming website for a couple days, so I fell behind on ASOIAF news. :)

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:31 pm

browneyedgirl wrote:
Mormegil wrote:Aaand the King Beyond The Wall is:

Ciarán Hinds

So, they finally picked someone? Good choice, I agree! :bigok: Wasn't he in Rome? ???
I have not been on winter is coming website for a couple days, so I fell behind on ASOIAF news. :)
Yeah, he was in Rome.

One casting I'm most interested about is Ramsay Bolton/Snow, though he doesn't really appear until the fifth book.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:58 pm

He's a freaking Julius Ceasar from Rome. Best casting news since Stephen Dillane, Carice Van Houten And Liam Cunningham were cast as Stannis, Melisandre and Davos, respectively.

Ramsay Snow has already been cast, or rather a character who is not named Ramsay for spoilerish reasons, but judging from set reports - he is.

As to books - I liked AFFC and ADWD far less than the first three books. AFFC is uniformly mediocre, with some splashes of brilliance, mainly Cercei chapters where you get to watch her doing really stupid things and getting her punishment for them. ADWD has brilliant chapters - everything in the North, mixed with some of the most pointless and excruciatingly boring drivel I have ever read - everything in the Eastern continent, except two Victarion chapters where sadly nothing much happens. Oh, and ADWD epilogue is awesome. The more I think about ADWD, the more I dislike it. Martin should really get his shit together and start thinking about how he intends to end the series in the next two books.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 am

Hinds played the Russian Prez in "Sum of All fears." So, I think he'd do great as Mance.

I just hope GRRM does not wait 5 years before TWoW comes out. I think people would be pretty pissed at that! :)

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:13 pm

bockrocker wrote:Did you know there is apparently a power metal band out there based on these books?

http://www.guitarworld.com/exclusive-se ... -fire-mine

http://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments/ ... nd_we_are/
I recently discovered a Dutch band Arkngthand who have a concept album of Martin's saga, "Songs of Ice and Fire":

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bs54OH51NEE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bs54OH51NEE?ve ... p;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

After hearing the song I posted I thought, holy shit! If these guys play their cards right, maybe, just maybe, they could someday be the successors for the mighty Blind Guardian as the ultimate fantasy-themed metal band! Then I read that "in 2011 after playing for 5 years under the Arkngthand banner, the band changed their name to River of Brakelights and took on a new musical direction."
Well that sucks...

But speaking of Guardian, they also had two ASoIaF themed songs on their latest album:

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CxLJcaGAlpU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CxLJcaGAlpU?ve ... p;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

and:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eIZNb96EQJ8?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eIZNb96EQJ8?ve ... p;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

And since I'm a shameless whore for views, I'd like to take this chance to advertise my 7-string version of the latter song :P

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q22a4ctwXDA?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q22a4ctwXDA?ve ... p;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

They will be cutting the third book, A Storm of Swords into two seasons, which I think is a great idea. For one, they have more room to tell story without cutting out too much and two; it gives Martin more time to finish the two remaining books, before the series catches up with him. I'm still (naively?) hoping that the tv-series will cover the entire saga. :P

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:25 pm

Oh, and HammerFall also had a song inspired by the saga on their album Chapter V: Unbent, Unbowed, Unbroken (titled after the words of House Martell):

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WKytTe2A1D4?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WKytTe2A1D4?ve ... p;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:29 am

I certainly hope the TV series finishes the whole saga, even if that takes 7 more years! And I hope I live long enough to see it done! :)

haha Just a little dreamcasting. I'm hoping HL will get a part in it. I was hoping he'd get to play the blue-eyed Aurane Waters who Cersei seemed to think was so hot. Aurane, I think, was a guy in his 20s, but they are aging the people up, so with those blues of his, Laurie could qualify. Aurane turned out to be kind of a pirate, so I think Hugh would fit in. Hope that's not too big a spoiler. :oops:

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:16 pm

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:51 am

On Jimmy Kimmel's late night show last week he showed a trailer which was about the upcoming third season. Man, it looked awesome! Lots of action, war, drama, and dragons! :shock: Dany has become really classy looking--I wonder if she is the beautiful queen which was prophesied.........No more spoilers, you have to read the books yourself! :wink: