Revolt in Greece Taking Place

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
CottonCandy
Revolt in Greece Taking Place

Post by CottonCandy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:49 pm

Greek popular revolt about to topple govt
http://www.antiimperialista.org/index.p ... 8&Itemid=1

Is it really that bad? Riots, etc.?

nepi

Re: Revolt in Greece Taking Place

Post by nepi » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:34 pm

it is bad, indeed. I read everyday about the riots in Athen. It's terrible, even the parents don't stop their kids 'cause they are angry too!

I would like to hear what Stratobabius reports about this... Hope he will be back here one day, long time since his last post...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:20 pm

Athens protesters clash with police amid strike
http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/articl ... d=28154707

I think stratobabius posts at RR forum now, I'm not sure. But, yes I'd like to hear from someone who actually lives there, too!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:23 pm

First of all, it's not a revolt. Let's make that clear.

Much like the French, Greeks will take to the street to protest pretty much anything, it's part of the national culture.

Those who start violence are for the most part just a bunch of assholes who are looking for any excuse to cause trouble. The people who actually are saddened and concerned about the shooting of the 15 year old kid hold candlelight vigils and peaceful demonstrations. The public mood is really starting to turn against these so called 'protestors', despite the shock and outrage caused by the killing.

The people going around burning shops and stuff are people who have nothing better to do, or come from middle-class backgrounds and think 'revolution' is a cool thing because they don't realise how good they have it. They literally want trouble as some sort of 'street cred' thing, for the most part. I know several people like that, back in Cyprus we have a similar culture.

But thankfully the situation seems to have calmed down overnight. Our drummer lives in Thessaloniki and I have many friends who live in Athens, and while they are for the most part keeping clear of the streets, the violence has for the most part subsided. There is widespread public anger at the government however, it's been like that for a long while. Corruption and general incompetance have been weighing on the minds of the people for a long time and it's really about time things changed.

I feel sorry for the people who have had their homes and businesses damaged by the 'protestors'. It wasn't any of their fault that any of this happened.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:15 pm

Hey there. I do check this place regularly most of the time (like today), but I don't have the power to actually write something here or anywhere else.

Now, about the riots...Exactly what NV said. The way things have gone, it's quite moronic.
I thought that there would only be 1 or 2 peaceful demonstrations or maybe not even that, but some people took advantage and started all this, putting together a dozen other things to protest about.
Most of the city has been quiet though, at least the places I visit.

More from me in the spam section later, maybe.

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Well, its good to hear that it was not entirely as bad as the media stated. There are always going to be troublemakers looking for excuses to vent their anger in bad ways. Glad to hear its settling down. Hopefully, now people can sit down and discuss solutions to the problems instead of causing more. Anger&violence solves nothing.