Religion and Politics

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Re: Religion and Politics

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:38 am

I've heard about them. Those guys make sick. Especialy the way how they use their children.

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:48 am

Mormegil wrote:
NeverendingAbyss wrote:Is that a REAL flier? :shock:
Holy shit, dude :O
I'm not sure if I should be laughing at or being scared of these people.
Scared is definitely not an option! i would suggest being pissed off.

They also picket funerals of US soldiers killed in Iraq. I happen to think that sucks ass, but it also seems like a rather dangerous hobby.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:59 am

Yeah. If they would appear on a funeral of a friend of mine I would beat the living shit out of them and ram their signs up their anus! :x

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:22 am

What the hell is wrong with these people? how can they preach that god is all loving yet do shit like this? all they are doing is spreading hate, it's people like this who make good spiritual people look bad.

Something I can tell them is "judge not lest ye be judged".
metal feeds the beast

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Mormegil wrote:

I couldn't help noticing the "Thank God for dead soldiers" sign. Believe it or not, one of my friends was talking about this protest a few days ago. He said this group go to various soldier funerals and start making disputable remarks. They once went to a High School which is near from my home (Fairfax High School), although I don't go there.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:02 pm

Mormegil wrote:

Westboro Baptist Church is a huge scam.

Every adult member of that family is an attorney. They make people angry enough to do something, and then sue them, the police, the local government, and anyone and anything they find in front of them.

Here's an article on it. It's a very good read, and really makes sense.

Here's an extract.
Fred Phelps does not believe what he is doing. This is a scam.

It's a business. They travel the country, set up websites telling you exactly when they'll be there, and using the most inflammatory statements all over the place, just to get someone to violate their rights for profit. Then they sue the military, the police force that was to protect them, and everyone that is around them for money. This is a sham, and it is a trap to get people sued. Every member of his family is an attorney. Phelps does not break the law. What he does is try to make you break the law by trying to punch your sensibilities about everything you hold dear, and then sue you and everyone municipality around him to the max.
Of course, what he does to the kids is unacceptable, but I guess that's the price we all pay for free speech.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 am

Just because we have free speech though doesn't mean that we shouldn't watch what we say.
I never agreed with that saying "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me"

I'm autistic and I know perfectly well what it means to be persecuted, words can cut just like a knife and if told in the right company make your life miserable.

Scam or not what these people are doing is despicable.
metal feeds the beast

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:33 pm

NeonVomit wrote: Here's an extract.
Fred Phelps does not believe what he is doing. This is a scam. It's a business. They travel the country, set up websites telling you exactly when they'll be there, and using the most inflammatory statements all over the place, just to get someone to violate their rights for profit.
It could be there is a little bit of truth to that. That still would not explain why he is baiting people in Sweden and Finland.. :) Free speech is protected also, but there is no money to be made in a racket using lawsuits.

Whether their motivation is faith or profit is in a way irrelevant. They really are playing with fire. If you picket funerals and stir up this type of other emotions in a country where police are underfunded and extremely unsympathetic to you, and where people sometimes are armed to the teeth, at some point, someone is bound to get hurt.. badly.

There was this attempt at meeting free speech with more speech:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Guard_Riders

It's a group of bikers who share "a deep respect for those who serve our country; military, firefighters, or law enforcement".

Some other bikers I know are a little more ambivalent when it comes to that "respect for law enforcement' bit. I for sure wouldn't want to be on their shit list.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:29 pm

Oh certainly, nothing would please me more than for a bunch of Hell's Angels types to work them over with 2x4s. Essentially they're just manipulating laws designed to protect civil liberties for profit, as well as pissing people off which is just stupid.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:25 am

Stupid and immoral, I don't care what backround you come from to celebrate someone's death is horrible.

These people should be ashamed of themselves.
metal feeds the beast

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:34 pm

hiro23 wrote:Stupid and immoral, I don't care what backround you come from to celebrate someone's death is horrible.

These people should be ashamed of themselves.
They obviously know no shame. They just want to make money by playing on people's sensitivities.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:17 pm

Now for some MORMONS!!!

Anybody have some fun stories? They always seem to come knock at your door when you have a hangover from the deepest depths of hell. One of my friends who lives in a rural area scared them away by running out of his house butt naked yelling I WORSHIP SATAN!! :lol: 8)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:35 pm

I know it's easy to go with that whole eye for an eye thing but personally I find it better to lead by example, actions do speak louder then words.
metal feeds the beast

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:20 pm

hiro23 wrote:I know it's easy to go with that whole eye for an eye thing but personally I find it better to lead by example, actions do speak louder then words.
If anybody tries to spread some religious message to me that is bronze age mythology they can stick it up their ass and live with it. :twisted:

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:48 pm

robocop656 wrote:
hiro23 wrote:I know it's easy to go with that whole eye for an eye thing but personally I find it better to lead by example, actions do speak louder then words.
If anybody tries to spread some religious message to me that is bronze age mythology they can stick it up their ass and live with it. :twisted:
Having Jehova's Witnesses knocking at your door is a common occurence in Finland. Can't really say that they piss me off, normally I just politely take what they have to offer and toss it right away. :)

I had a really good friend in primary school whose parents were Jehova's Witnesses. This probably mellowed my attitude, they were the nicest people you could imagine, never ever even mentioning religion.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:58 am

Too long don't read -I'm just dumb and ignorant and accidentally delete posts

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:57 pm

I'm just talking about plain human decency, you don't have to be religous to respect that.

In the end nobody has the whole truth
metal feeds the beast

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:20 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Yeah. If they would appear on a funeral of a friend of mine I would beat the living shit out of them and ram their signs up their anus! :x
mmm what if they like having things in their anus???

haha.

Damn, the more i get to know people, the more i love my dog :P

I think they've crossed the line of respect, like many others did in many other ways.

The sad thing here is, using children for such a political issue, and i am not saying that children should not be heard, it is just that...c'mon, i'm sure they don't even know why they are there, they have that influence inducted by their parents, but their capability of comprehension is way too far to understand what this all means.

Plus, can you imagine what a soldier's relatives are going through during a funeral? they might get soooo pissed off and have a violent reaction against them, no matter if there are children or not...like i said before, waaaay to risky.

And i don't want to think how these children are going to grow up :S
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:30 pm

I saw a report on them on TV. They're a big bunch of homophobic and religious douchebags.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:52 am

things like that make me thing that the only evolution that mankind is suffering, is TECHNOLOGY... :?

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:09 am

neonlightchild wrote:things like that make me thing that the only evolution that mankind is suffering, is TECHNOLOGY... :?
Ah, but everything changes. Also beliefs. Here is one of my favorite authors (Jared Diamond) speaking about the evolution of various religions.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/th7CFye03gQ&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/th7CFye03gQ&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:30 pm

Moderism is very much a double edged sword as with most things in life, everything has it's pro's and it's cons.

My belief is that extremism in anything leads to hatred, whether it be extreme belief in religion or non belief in it. I've seen some horrible hatred coming from both sides, each not making themselves look any better.

it's like that saying "don't talk it walk it", being a good person depends on what you do, not what you say.
metal feeds the beast

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:24 am

Hamas couldn't fire smuggled Stingers against Israelis due to embedded ID system
http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribun ... _04_02.asp

IFF is a wonderful thing! :lol:
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

JensJohansson
Administrator

Post by JensJohansson » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm

"We were disappointed by them, and they were found to have been useless," a Hamas source said.
I'd say. I guess a disabled stinger could be used as a very expensive .. fence post? Or could you maybe make a floor lamp out of it? I don't know? :lol: :lol:

If they haven't yet, they should make some IFF/Microphone and Transmitter/Remote Detonate system. That kind of engineering feat would allow for some truly funny "hoist by own petard" type little pranks.

Dude (in arabic): "Wow look at these nice Stingers I, ahem, bought! It's a lot bigger than my penis."

Stinger: "-BLAM-"

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:57 pm

hiro23 wrote:Moderism is very much a double edged sword as with most things in life, everything has it's pro's and it's cons.

My belief is that extremism in anything leads to hatred, whether it be extreme belief in religion or non belief in it. I've seen some horrible hatred coming from both sides, each not making themselves look any better.

it's like that saying "don't talk it walk it", being a good person depends on what you do, not what you say.
yeah, i agree, equilibrium is essential, but sometimes a little bit of inteligence and respect help alot.

and, being a good person (IMO) depends on what you do, say and think.

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 am

JensJohansson wrote:
"We were disappointed by them, and they were found to have been useless," a Hamas source said.
I'd say. I guess a disabled stinger could be used as a very expensive .. fence post? Or could you maybe make a floor lamp out of it? I don't know? :lol: :lol:

If they haven't yet, they should make some IFF/Microphone and Transmitter/Remote Detonate system. That kind of engineering feat would allow for some truly funny "hoist by own petard" type little pranks.

Dude (in arabic): "Wow look at these nice Stingers I, ahem, bought! It's a lot bigger than my penis."

Sort of reminds me of the old Warner Bros cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid- starring the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote.The coyote used to get mail order rockets from the fictitious Acme company, and they would invariably blow up in the coyote's face.

Beep! Beep! :lol:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:33 am

miditek wrote:
JensJohansson wrote:

Sort of reminds me of the old Warner Bros cartoons I used to watch when I was a kid- starring the Roadrunner and Wile E. Coyote.The coyote used to get mail order rockets from the fictitious Acme company, and they would invariably blow up in the coyote's face.

Beep! Beep! :lol:
Those are awesome! I still love them!

Paola

Post by Paola » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:04 am

only two words.

HOLY INQUISITION

that's why we must not mix the religion with political power. The religion is a business so... :roll:
Official hobbit of the Stratovarius forum...Relax guys, I don't find a ring...:wink: :lol:

miditek

Post by miditek » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:44 am

From the Gaza Evening News: How not to fire a mortar

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sP2sTBbqlmo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sP2sTBbqlmo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Allu Akbar! :lol:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:56 am

IT'S A TRAP!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/piVnArp9ZE0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/piVnArp9ZE0&hl=de&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>