JARI KAINULAINEN in RETURN TO DREAMSPACE

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Lurdi
Re: JARI KAINULAINEN in RETURN TO DREAMSPACE

Post by Lurdi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:30 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
Lurdi wrote:
icecab21 wrote:he said they won't have name conflicts.
one thing... i think mr tolkki go back to old stuffs because all his new ideas don't work...
I don't think tolkki bases his life on whether a few people like his songs or not.
Of course it's a part of his life. Those who say they don't care whether their music like people or not, of course they are lying, otherwise they would just write and compose music for themselves to listen and play at home withous sharing it with anybody. That is ridiculous.
Of course I am lying. That's why I wrote albums like "Saana" and "Hymn to Life" or we did "Age of Aquarius" although we could have "planned" a power metal band. Instead of that, the music took its course despite what anyone would say so sorry but at least in my and AoA:s case you are wrong.:)
Also I dont think that Lauri Porra or Timo Kotipelto are sitting at home with calculators and notebooks planning "what kind of music people want to hear". It simply becomes what it becomes.
This is not to take away the fact that its a great honor when a fan buys your cd or concert ticket. But if the artist is planning the music in accordance to what is people's taste then in my opinion this is not good. But that's just what I think.
I'm not saying your music is planned, I have never thought that about your musical career, except for the self-titled Stratovarius album.
I was just saying that whoever says I do my own thing for myself it's a big lie. Everybody wants his/her music to be known, make gigs and see how people sing along with the band while they play and share their feelings and thoughts with the society, otherwise, as I said before, he or she would just compose and a write songs for him or her to play at home without sharing with anybody, and I am happy for that, fortunately those musicians and singers who I admire most have not decided to do that, and I can know their music :)

Korpikalla

Post by Korpikalla » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:34 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
Of course I am lying. That's why I wrote albums like "Saana" and "Hymn to Life" or we did "Age of Aquarius" although we could have "planned" a power metal band. Instead of that, the music took its course despite what anyone would say so sorry but at least in my and AoA:s case you are wrong.:)
Also I dont think that Lauri Porra or Timo Kotipelto are sitting at home with calculators and notebooks planning "what kind of music people want to hear". It simply becomes what it becomes.
This is not to take away the fact that its a great honor when a fan buys your cd or concert ticket. But if the artist is planning the music in accordance to what is people's taste then in my opinion this is not good. But that's just what I think.
I agree.
You create music with your heart, and if people want to buy your music, if you can make a living on your passion, then why not?

That's what separates sell-outs from true artists. People who truly do it for the money obviously have no passion for the music, and don't really care about how it sounds in the end... as long as their wallet gets fatter. :wink:

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:49 am

Lurdi wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
Lurdi wrote:
one thing... i think mr tolkki go back to old stuffs because all his new ideas don't work...
I don't think tolkki bases his life on whether a few people like his songs or not.
Of course it's a part of his life. Those who say they don't care whether their music like people or not, of course they are lying, otherwise they would just write and compose music for themselves to listen and play at home withous sharing it with anybody. That is ridiculous.
I'm not saying your music is planned, I have never thought that about your musical career, except for the self-titled Stratovarius album.
I was just saying that whoever says I do my own thing for myself it's a big lie. Everybody wants his/her music to be known, make gigs and see how people sing along with the band while they play and share their feelings and thoughts with the society, otherwise, as I said before, he or she would just compose and a write songs for him or her to play at home without sharing with anybody, and I am happy for that, fortunately those musicians and singers who I admire most have not decided to do that, and I can know their music :)
Unfortunately you are confusing two separate things here: the creative process of composing music and live performances.
I can speak only for myself (and for my ex-bandmates too) but I can tell you that when there is time to make a record, I and we never cared what people think about that record. There simply was/isnt not time for that because the process is very long and energy consuming.
BUT.
When time comes to go out and play to your fans, then it is entirely different ballgame. Then at least I want to play songs the fans want to hear.
Then it becomes a situation where you serve your fans who support you.
So live shows and writing music are two entirely different things and perhaps this helps you to understand it better. In my case my "Saana" and "Hymn to Life" albums pretty much contradict your theory since they both have not been anything that people have been expecting. But even they are just albums amongst the other albums I have been involved in. All have been born the same way.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:58 am

There are many ways to measure the success of music, as there are many different goals for creating it. Music can fail in some areas and be a success in others. The same song gets described as boring by one person and emotionally touching by another. Not everyone is looking for the same kinds of connections through music, nor will everyone receive them, so a person that creates what they want for what they want will likely have a better relationship with what they create than someone that suffers if anyone does not connect.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:44 pm

Basically as a musician that's what you have to do, first write what comes from you and then hope that others like what you have written.
metal feeds the beast

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 pm

hiro23 wrote:Basically as a musician that's what you have to do, first write what comes from you and then hope that others like what you have written.
In Timo's mind: DONE! :D
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:23 pm

That's what I'm saying, you either gather fans and become a huge success or you keep playing to three people and a dog, just depends on whether people like what your playing.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 pm

i myself make my music to woo the hamster population.

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:11 pm

DayDreamer wrote:The Dreamspace line up?? The same as in 94???
Holy Shit! Thats gonna be awesome!
I hope so :D

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:17 pm

icecab21 wrote:i myself make my music to woo the hamster population.
I used to sing for my cat. But he would always run away...

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:21 pm

My dog howls along with me
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:51 pm

as long as it's with you and not at you

Patalina

Post by Patalina » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:56 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:
Lurdi wrote:
Now, why always all your proyects ends in Stratovarius?
you dont want to be a part of Stratovarius and later you make some demos of HHAL, WHTK (songs of Stratovarius), then, you make a band with ex-members of Stratovarius and now, everything is answered in the Stratovarius forum ... you're out of stratovarius or not?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:00 am

Patalina wrote:
TimoTolkki wrote:
Lurdi wrote:
you dont want to be a part of Stratovarius and later you make some demos of HHAL, WHTK (songs of Stratovarius), then, you make a band with ex-members of Stratovarius and now, everything is answered in the Stratovarius forum ... you're out of stratovarius or not?
1. He wrote those songs. He can record them whenever he wants too.
2. He wants to make music like Dreamspace again maybe to close the chapter Stratovarius for himself personaly. I have no problem with that. I'm looking forward to this.
3. I think he is more active in the RR forum than the Stratoforum. He doesn't write that much here.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:18 am

posting the the stratovarius forum makes us all members of stratovarius.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:24 am

Of course! I play the lead anal-flute! You'll see me on tour this summer!

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:18 am

Do they? I dont think so, but if you say so..
you dont want to be a part of Stratovarius and later you make some demos of HHAL, WHTK (songs of Stratovarius)
Yes, I see nothing wrong with that. Especially since I wrote those songs:)
, then, you make a band with ex-members of Stratovarius and now,
It's not really a band. It's just one off album for fun you know. Music never hurts, or at least should not hurt people.
everything is answered in the Stratovarius forum ... you're out of stratovarius or not?
Is that a problem? It's a bit weird when me and the guys are in good terms to read stuff like this. Look, Stratovarius has been 23 years in my life and it will always be a part of me. I think that is enough leverage for me to have the "right" to write in this forum.:)

emperor_black

Post by emperor_black » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:24 am

come on everybody, leave Timo Tolkki be

The drama is over, please don't generate more

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:26 am

that is the persons only post and has to be trolling

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:11 am

Patalina

Post by Patalina » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:22 am

TimoTolkki wrote:
Do they? I dont think so, but if you say so..
you dont want to be a part of Stratovarius and later you make some demos of HHAL, WHTK (songs of Stratovarius)
Yes, I see nothing wrong with that. Especially since I wrote those songs:)
, then, you make a band with ex-members of Stratovarius and now,
It's not really a band. It's just one off album for fun you know. Music never hurts, or at least should not hurt people.
everything is answered in the Stratovarius forum ... you're out of stratovarius or not?
Is that a problem? It's a bit weird when me and the guys are in good terms to read stuff like this. Look, Stratovarius has been 23 years in my life and it will always be a part of me. I think that is enough leverage for me to have the "right" to write in this forum.:)
thanks for you reply...

I dont want to cause confusion, drama, or controversial issues...
just wanted to ask something that I needed (last time this was all very confusing and i wanted to directly ask).
is nice that maintain a good relationship between members and ex-members of Stratovarius.
my respect for all musicians who have been in Stratovarius.
I repeat, I did not want to create anything wrong.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:42 am

Patalina:it's always alright to ask questions, that's how we get answers, one saying I love is "a truly wise man has more questions then answers"

Now if your a woman this still applies, just wanted to cover my bases before I get to the next part.

As for the topic I just think everyone was making sure this wasn't an effort to stir up trouble, We'd already put that really bad episode behind us and we didn't want to discuss it again.

I appreciate your honesty
metal feeds the beast

Patalina

Post by Patalina » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 am

hiro23 wrote:Patalina:it's always alright to ask questions, that's how we get answers, one saying I love is "a truly wise man has more questions then answers"

Now if your a woman this still applies, just wanted to cover my bases before I get to the next part.

As for the topic I just think everyone was making sure this wasn't an effort to stir up trouble, We'd already put that really bad episode behind us and we didn't want to discuss it again.

I appreciate your honesty
:D:D:D

thanks for your words

sorry mr. tolkki :oops: ... my root language is spanish and sometimes i make a little mistakes when i write in english... My questions are made with good intentions :D

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:33 am

sorry mr. tolkki Embarassed ... my root language is spanish and sometimes i make a little mistakes when i write in english... My questions are made with good intentions Very Happy
I think we all make mistakes in English; it's a very crazy language

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:43 am

How much does a band usually get for each CD sold? Or are they paid completely different than that? Thats something that always bothered me that I would buy a CD and the band probably wouldn't even get that much money for it.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:13 am

There are so many places the money goes to as I've learned not only being a musician but also as a roadie, there's fee's for any equipment rented, pay for the members of the band(that includes roadie's),money towards any new albums,money towards promotion and money towards any possible tours.

As you can see the money goes to many different places.
metal feeds the beast

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:44 am

"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 pm

Is that your way of saying the band is geared up and ready to go? :lol:
metal feeds the beast

Raven

Post by Raven » Sat May 09, 2009 11:50 am

It seems that the project with old Stratovarius members will be called Project Strato:

http://www.myspace.com/projectstrato

If this comes out some day, I think the name for the project couldn't ber better.

RazielSR

Post by RazielSR » Sat May 09, 2009 12:50 pm

I have to say that I'm waiting for this album more than any of the next RR albums, to be frank I would prefer to have Timo continuing his musical career with Dreamspace - Twilight Time style than the new one. Damn, please just listen the masterpieces in this new myspace, that songs are one of the best things you can have in your whole life. I'd like to be eternally caught between that songs and I wanna listen to that songs once I'm dead too.

Sorry If I'm offending but I'd like to see Timo continuing his musical career with this line-up. I have nothing against the rest of the RR members, it's just that there are things that are far beyond of the new "styles" or "musical directions".
...Faster than light, higher than the sky, stronger than steel...We´re the legions of the Twilight...