Helloween: Silent Rain

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Helloween: Silent Rain

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:44 pm

He is God and he is light
He means everything in life
To her awaking mind
He’s the one of two she loves
He’s the one of two she snogs and hugs
In blind faith

But in the recent dead of nights
There was wonder, there was fright
Daddy’s coming for a secret playing
Secret playing

Silent giants
Silent rain
Silence cover shame
Lying colours
Lurking bane
Under the silent rain

Daddy told her not to speak
Not to wail and not to weep
A promise she won’t keep
Saw her mother at the door
Starting craven to the core
She won’t care no more

So in the endless coming years
There was sorrow, there was fears
Secret playing

Silent giants
Silent rain
Silence cover shame
Lying colours
Lurking bane
Under the silent rain
Disscus.

CES

Re: Helloween: Silent Rain

Post by CES » Sat May 09, 2009 6:22 pm

I hope for your sake you never ever see a translation of any Rammstein song if something that mild offends you.

Really, the problem you should be pointing out about the lyrics is how stilted they seem to be.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:24 pm

Nevermind

sanichi

Post by sanichi » Sat May 09, 2009 6:29 pm

Yeah, I gotta agree with Ragehead, those Helloween lyrics really are shocking in a kind of weird way (can't explain exactly how), cause they're just sick. Anyway its different with Rammstein...

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:30 pm

Nevermind

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat May 09, 2009 6:47 pm

you should take it as it comes and understand many things.

Helloween is a BAND known for being funny, friendly, creative and talented; the way i see those lyrics is plain, i mean, it is something that happends all around the world...shamesly that's the sad true...priests molesting children, parents abusing their own children....it happends.

So, it is a social portrait, don't take it personal, they just tried to cummunicate something that results disturbing for them too, and they achieved their goal!!! get your atention, but instead of offending you, they are trying to open your eyes and do something for our twisted society's misdeeds; and understand that Helloween is not only a band that write lyrics about seven keys, a wizard and a man that wishes he could fly, they are free to express what they feel in the form they know best: MUSIC!

:wink:
"slaughter of the soul, suicidal final art"

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:55 pm

Nevermind

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat May 09, 2009 6:55 pm

sanichi wrote:Yeah, I gotta agree with Ragehead, those Helloween lyrics really are shocking in a kind of weird way (can't explain exactly how), cause they're just sick. Anyway its different with Rammstein...
they might be disturbing, but here's another point of view: if Helloween is band that most of all love, and we really enjoy their "happy" tunes and "happy" lyrics, then they got it right! they know about their power to communicate, so, if they use this kind of lyrics obviously they would cause some impact in their audience...why? because maybe it is enough of "happy messages" and it was about time to give us a shocking theme so we can wake up and realize how bad the world is going on!!!

Plus, it doesn't mean that all of their upcoming songs will be directed into a "raw and twisted social portrait"...no, that's why we should take it as it comes and realize whats going on around us.

And please, if you are that sensitive metal heads don't ever listen to King Diamond's "THE GRAVEYARD" album :lol: :lol:

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat May 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Bullshit. I am pretty sure that EVERYONE knows that such stuff is happening. No need to opens our eyes about that. Extreme cases like the Fritzl Incest scandal showed us. So why should they try to open our eyes to see something about that we already know it is happening?
Ok, so, sue them!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Nevermind

CES

Post by CES » Sat May 09, 2009 7:05 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:And if they were trying to do so, they failed clearly. Listen to the song. It is a more happy "Eagle Fly Free" type of song with lyrics about a dad rapping his daughter and a mon who doesn't care. I see nothing more and nothing less in it. Those lyrics are obvious exept the first verse which doesn't make any sense to me compared to the rest of the song.
The first verse seems to cover the fact that most kids think the world of their parents and have absolute trust in them.

Admittedly, it's not standard lyrical material for PM-type songs but I honestly can't work out why this is any worse than Tier or Cannibal Corpse's "Necropedophile". Actually, the later is probably much worse but hey, that's death metal for you.

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:06 pm

You realise it. I realise it too. But surprisingly, alot of people don't.

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat May 09, 2009 7:06 pm

no i don't get why you get offended by a song, when there are REAL problems outside man!!!

i don't what is the main point of your sadness....the fact that Helloween wrote it, or the fact that there are song like that?!

If it's about being Helloween...damn, grow up man...first of all they are human and they have the hunger to communicate what they fell, FREELY!

If it's about the lyrics...just skip the godamned track and repeat yourself many times "this is a bad dream, this is a bad dream, none of this is real"

That's it...another option? SUE THEM!

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat May 09, 2009 7:09 pm

CES wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:And if they were trying to do so, they failed clearly. Listen to the song. It is a more happy "Eagle Fly Free" type of song with lyrics about a dad rapping his daughter and a mon who doesn't care. I see nothing more and nothing less in it. Those lyrics are obvious exept the first verse which doesn't make any sense to me compared to the rest of the song.
The first verse seems to cover the fact that most kids think the world of their parents and have absolute trust in them.

Admittedly, it's not standard lyrical material for PM-type songs but I honestly can't work out why this is any worse than Tier or Cannibal Corpse's "Necropedophile". Actually, the later is probably much worse but hey, that's death metal for you.
Exactly!

Welcome to the metal scene!

:lol:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat May 09, 2009 7:18 pm

Nevermind

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sat May 09, 2009 7:22 pm

Hey, in the real world, sometimes that happens. Like the case in Austria with that sick father keeping her daughter in the basement for YEARS.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Sat May 09, 2009 7:27 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:I am offended by a Helloween Song...
Then don't listen to it!

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Sat May 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:For me it isn't a critical of society song. I don't find any critic of society in it. All I found is a happy song about child abuse.
that's selfish! you felt offended, but stop a minute and think that probably, someone, elsewhere, felt identified with the lyrics and made a significant change, either way if they felt identified with the father, the mother or the child!!! don't think only about you and your harmed heart...

and you found it happy, because it might be a "cynical" way to express...besides, i've never heard a sad song witten by Helloween, damn...

CES

Post by CES » Sat May 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Okay, just one last time. From a band like Rammstein I expect thise lyrics. From a Band like Cannibal Corpse I expect those lyrics. From a band like Helloween I don't. I think this song is just very, very unnecessary and the way they did the song just irritates me. And that is something I don't expect from Helloween. I don't expect a happy, eagle fly free kind of song with lyrics about child abuse. Maybe I should've asked why they did it and what thought process was going on when they wrote that song. I am always happy if a band tries to approach a difficult and sensitive topic like this, but I really don't like the way they approached that topic. For me it isn't a critical of society song. I don't find any critic of society in it. All I found is a happy song about child abuse.
You know, I did concede the fact that it's incredibly unusual to find such subject matter in a genre as overwhelmingly positive as power metal.

Personally, I find this kind of thing brilliant. I like the duality of a nice melody with really screwed up lyrics. Besides, it's incredibly fun to end up singing along.

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:50 pm

NeverendingAbyss wrote:Hey, in the real world, sometimes that happens. Like the case in Austria with that sick father keeping her daughter in the basement for YEARS.
Very true. I was going to mention that. SO MANY bands have made lyrics just as similar to this. I kinda agree that not many power metal bands cover lyrics of the sort, normally more death metal. But alot of METAL bands do. It shouldn't cause offence

Irinia

Post by Irinia » Sat May 09, 2009 8:55 pm

Apocalyptica's song I'm Not Jesus also have very powerful lyrics, about child abuse.
I don't think it's uncommon to write about such matters and I personally wouldn't be offended by it, it touches something deep inside me, but I am not offended.
I think it's important that it's been spoken of, maybe it will make the threshold to talk about it a little lower to the ones it concerns.
*Walks out before she gets too personal*

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat May 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Personally it seems that you aren't going to get your answers from us, go over to the Helloween forum and ask them what they were thinking when they wrote this song.

I personally do not take offense as I see it as social commentary and more of a song which acts as a warning.
metal feeds the beast

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat May 09, 2009 10:47 pm

Ragehead91 wrote: You don't get it, right? WE KNOW THAT THE WORLD IS SICK! WE REALIZE WHAT IS GOING ON AROUND US! THERE IS NO NEED TO WRITE SUCH A SONG! I'm pretty sure that everyone here knows and accepts the fact that incest and child molesting is happening in this world. So why write such a song exept for the shock effect?
I really don't get this. What should they write about then? Several (/every single one of) metal bands write about war and death. Why not get offended by that? Might be because incest is still such a strong taboo and one that hasn't been openly discussed about for too long yet.

C'mon dude, you have plenty of time to get offended by songs when you're grumpy old man. Silent Rain isn't even bad, not even as a Helloween song.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun May 10, 2009 12:15 am

The song had an impact, and you made an entire thread about it.

The song has done its job perfectly, it got a strong response.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun May 10, 2009 8:58 am

Okay guys, my last post in this thread. I didn't sleep the day before I wrote this and I was in a pissy mode yesterday and maybe I took a few things too personal. I thought a bit about it and I agree with you guys now. I think I understand why they wrote the song and what they were thinking. I just disagree with the final execution of this song. The way that they combine those sick lyrics with such a happy tune is something that is in my opinion unnecessary. I have a problem with that. But you're right, I don't have to listen to it.

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sun May 10, 2009 9:01 am

Ragehead91 wrote:A daddy is coming for a "secret playing" with his daughter? Was that really necessary? Couldn't they change the lyrics? I mean, what does the song say to you? Those lyrics, the fact that they never say that this is wrong or sick and the happy sound that the song has makes me think that they support this. Maybe I don't get the lyrics right or I just can't read between the lines, but this is just sick.
Dear Pinhead91,
I suggest you cut down on the beer.

Sincerely,
AAAAAAAAAA

DawnIsHere

Post by DawnIsHere » Sun May 10, 2009 9:12 am

neonlightchild wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:For me it isn't a critical of society song. I don't find any critic of society in it. All I found is a happy song about child abuse.
that's selfish! you felt offended, but stop a minute and think that probably, someone, elsewhere, felt identified with the lyrics and made a significant change, either way if they felt identified with the father, the mother or the child!!! don't think only about you and your harmed heart...

and you found it happy, because it might be a "cynical" way to express...besides, i've never heard a sad song witten by Helloween, damn...
I agree with Neonlightchild.

I haven't heard the song yet, but after reading the lyrics I do find it as a critical song and in no way I can say they support this behavior as stated in the very first post. It clearly expresses that the girl is betrayed by whom she loves the most, and that there is sorrow, fear, it's a shameful act and the silence covering it is even worse.

I don't agree that a band like Helloween "shouldn't be able to talk about serious/sad topics because they are a "happy metal" band. But not all their songs talk about happiness, there are some dark songs too, and even sad ones (as "I don't wanna cry no more", it made me cry back then).

If you think like that, that means that a Glam band is allowed to sing only about parties, girls, drinks, girls, motorcycles, girls and more girls? :roll: If so, Skid Row wouldn't sing about this very same topic either (I really love this song):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XW0zjlCjcmQ&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XW0zjlCjcmQ&hl=es&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In a darkened room
Beyond the reach of gods faith
Lies the wounded, the shattered
remains of love betrayed
And the innocense
of a child is bought and sold
In the name of the damned
The rage of the angels left silent
and cold

Forgive me please for I know not
What I do
How can I keep inside the hurt
I know is true

Tell me when the kiss of love
Becomes a lie
That bears the scar of sin too deep
To hide behind this fear of running
Unto you
Please let there be light
In a darkened room

All the precious times have been put
To rest again
And the smile of the dawn
Brings tainted lust singing my requiem
Can I face the day when im tortured
In my trust
And watch it crystalize
While my salvation crumples to dust

Why cant I steer the ship before
It hits the storm
Ive fallen to the sea but still
I swim for shore

Or maybe you complain because it should be a sad and slow melody instead of a speed happy one keeping the same lyrics ('cause even cynical, it might confuse people, as it seems happend to you)?
Would it be right then?
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun May 10, 2009 9:33 am

DawnIsHere wrote: Or maybe you complain because it should be a sad and slow melody instead of a speed happy one keeping the same lyrics ('cause even cynical, it might confuse people, as it seems happend to you)?
Would it be right then?
This is exactly my problem. The combination of those lyrics combined with the happy tune that is "Silent Rain". I just don't think this was a good idea.

And again, I didn't really think before I wrote this yesterday. I thought about the lyrics and I get the idea behind it. As i said, the execution of this idea is my problem. But then again, this is just my opinion and I don't have to listen to the song.

emperor_black

Re: I am offended by a Helloween Song...

Post by emperor_black » Sun May 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Wow, I never thought that would EVER happen. But yesterday evening I was listening to the "Keepers: The Legacy" Album. And maybe I never really concentrated on the lyrics., but it seems that yesterday for the first time I really listened to Silent Rain. And the lyrics make me sick. I mean, read this:
He is God and he is light
He means everything in life
To her awaking mind
He’s the one of two she loves
He’s the one of two she snogs and hugs
In blind faith

But in the recent dead of nights
There was wonder, there was fright
Secret playing

Silent giants
Silent rain
Silence cover shame
Lying colours
Lurking bane
Under the silent rain

Daddy told her not to speak
Not to wail and not to weep
A promise she won’t keep
Saw her mother at the door
Starting craven to the core
She won’t care no more

So in the endless coming years
There was sorrow, there was fears
Secret playing

Silent giants
Silent rain
Silence cover shame
Lying colours
Lurking bane
Under the silent rain
A daddy is coming for a "secret playing" with his daughter? Was that really necessary? Couldn't they change the lyrics? I mean, what does the song say to you? Those lyrics, the fact that they never say that this is wrong or sick and the happy sound that the song has makes me think that they support this. Maybe I don't get the lyrics right or I just can't read between the lines, but this is just sick.

I agree with you... what a terrible song :?

I never liked Helloween too much and I really don't care at all about anything they do. But for example, if this song belonged to I don't know.. Polaris album, I think I would be EXTREMELY dissapointed with Stratovarius :?

stratodan1990

Post by stratodan1990 » Sun May 10, 2009 7:05 pm

because theyre a power metal band. You don't really expect it from this type of genre of metal at all. And yeah, don't give strato ideas :lol: :lol: :lol: