Excalion

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
mayhem-for-all
Re: Excalion

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:48 pm

:D

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:53 am

Interview I made with Tero and Henri is now online.
Some really interesting stuff in it.
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/interview ... iew_id=582

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:49 am

I finally received my copy of High Time today and I loved it! Jarmo's voice is fantastic. My favorite songs after the first listen: Enter A Life, From Somewhere To Anywhere, Bring On The Storm and Foreversong.

Definitely one of my favorite new bands.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Any opinnions on the interview I made?

Did anyone even read it :cry:

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:16 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:Any opinnions on the interview I made?

Did anyone even read it :cry:
No response so apparently not :roll:

In other news:
In the meanwhile, we are starting to make the first demos out of the new songs. We're at the first stage demoing 3 really cool songs and at the same time rehearsing a few more. It's going very nicely now in the rehearsals and the songs will be extremely strong! Stay tuned for more news.
:shock: :D

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:51 pm

I don't really expect a band to say the songs are bad so it always seems weird to me when the band talks about the quality of the songs or how much they like them. I expect a band to only release songs they feel are strong and quality works. I feel there is something wrong with the bands integrity if they do anything less then what they can believe in and stand behind fully. I feel there is something wrong with the bands integrity if they do anything less then what they can believe in and stand behind fully. No matter how people outside the band react, people inside the band should at least have a consensus that they are proud of material they put out.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:03 pm

icecab21 wrote:I don't really expect a band to say the songs are bad so it always seems weird to me when the band talks about the quality of the songs or how much they like them. I expect a band to only release songs they feel are strong and quality works. I feel there is something wrong with the bands integrity if they do anything less then what they can believe in and stand behind fully. I feel there is something wrong with the bands integrity if they do anything less then what they can believe in and stand behind fully. No matter how people outside the band react, people inside the band should at least have a consensus that they are proud of material they put out.
:roll:

What I am happy for is that they have demoing going on and almost half an album written only a few (5) months after the release of the album as the last one took 3 years to get released...

At this pace we will have a new Excalion album next years and as they have been improving with every album I really don't think anything can go wrong if they still believe in their own stuff just like before.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 pm

will be interesting to see what they have and cool if they get something quicker than that last one

I just hope it’s a basic given that they believe in what they do; there is just no honorable excuse or reason to make music otherwise

Chang

Post by Chang » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 pm

I have listen. It is a very good work!! :o

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:15 am

icecab21 wrote:will be interesting to see what they have and cool if they get something quicker than that last one

I just hope it’s a basic given that they believe in what they do; there is just no honorable excuse or reason to make music otherwise
as do I.

But I did not see you opening up like this when Lauri said the next Strato album will be good :P WHY!
:lol:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:27 pm

i did not even post then. glad the bands in a great mood about the material.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:35 am

icecab21 wrote:i did not even post then. glad the bands in a great mood about the material.
What you say mood?

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:10 pm

Hey,

Time to share some updates, what's happening in camp Excalion!
First of all, sorry for a bit quiet period. Summer was quite full of all sorts of activities in and out of band but what could be most interesting for you, High Time was released in Japan by Art Union Group in August. BURRN! review gave High Time 80 points! Excalion has also decided to do a music video for High Time album to celebrate the ten years journey that started end of 2000 in Konnevesi, Middle-Finland.

The new video will be shot within a month and will include some footage throughout our journey. We're extremely excited about the ideas for the video and can't wait to get it shot, edited and delivered to every single Excalion fan out there! More info on the progress coming later (with some pictures of course from the shooting naturally).

The demoing of new songs is also progressing nicely as is the composing. We foresee Autumn to be a very active period for Excalion. I also personally did a small investment for the future and took brand new double bass - Tama Starclassic drum set. Will share some pictures with you as soon as I receive the fantastic monster kit.

In the meantime, please keep requesting us for your local radio stations/pubs/venues and share us some recommendations for good places to ROCK!
:shock: :D

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:03 am

Sweet, looking forward to the video! I am loving High Time more with each listen. The Flags In Line is one of my favorites songs right now :luv1:

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:28 am

Any ideas which song might end up on the video?
First I thought it would surely be Enter a Life or Bring on the Storm or maybe even Firewood but then I thought if it is going to be an anniversary video then the song has to be as Excalion as there is and fit the mood.

I could then think of only one song and it started ringing in my head again:
Song that goes on forever
The song we compose together
The ghosts of long gone bad days
They will return as always
Tormenting us everywhere
And I am also quite intrested in what will happen in the autumn.
My hopes are in them returning to studio already!

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:26 am

From Somewhere To Anywhere would be cool! I love that one. Foreversong seems fitting, like you mentioned and Bring On The Storm has a great riff and would probably make a great video.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:34 pm

Yes, the latest album is great.. I was too fast judging them...

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:28 am

Video shoot starts

Excalion shoots the Enter a Life - music video this weekend! Be prepared for an awesome video that also presents some sights to the past of Excalion.

Pictures from the shoot coming soon. First some sleep after a long day of preparations. Stay tuned!
So it's Enter a Life afterall.
Well the it's a really good song but on this album it is one of the weakest.

Well I hope this turns out great.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:00 am

http://excalion-official.blogspot.com/2 ... -wrap.html

Check that out: They have pictures from the video shooting.
:shock: It seems they had a real pro-video shoot!

This will be amazing for sure.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:26 am

Just came back from the rehearsals. After a couple of quiet weeks we went back to the rehearsal space to work on the new songs. Have to say that it has been a blast. It seems that sometimes Jappe has astonishing flow with songwriting and killer songs just pop out after each other. Well, these are those times again. Just have to keep up with the pace and rehearse the songs that he doesn't have to store all ideas just in his head.
Today we worked on a few different songs. Few words about those:

First one of these is a bit slower but heavy song in the style of Losing Time from Waterlines. Has great melodies in it and is one of those songs that work even if played with just drum, bass and keyboard combination.

The second kinda rockish mid tempo song with a GREAT sing-along vibe. Only played once in the rehearsals right now but no doubt will be one of the most noticeable upcoming new songs.

Last one of the songs is really fast and heavy song with some killer guitar-keyboard patterns, lots of double bass drumming rhytms and some slight proggish influences. Hell of a lot of fun to rehearse this one.

We'll be sharing some news from the rehearsals in the upcoming weeks as well.

Btw. The video editing is progressing slowly but surely. The material looks absolutely great but it will take a bit of time still to get the video finished as we're combining some materials from the Excalion-journey and there's quite a big bunch of stuff that we have to go through. But the outcome should be really worth the wait!

Cheers!
:D :D :D

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:03 am

Jarmo appearing on a Heavy musical

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The singer of Excalion, Jarmo Pääkkönen will appear in a Heavy Musical in Turku 5.2.2011. The musical is first of its kind in Finland and part of events organized for European Capital of Culture 2011.

The musical is called 1827 - Infernal Musical, presented by Turun Nuori Teatteri. The acts will take place on January - Febuary 2011 and Jarmo will be appearing only on 5th of February with a couple of songs. Be sure not to miss it!

More information: http://www.1827.fi/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Henri
January update
Happy New Year everyone!

As you might have seen from Excalion.com, Jarmo will be appearing on a Heavy Musical on 5th of February in Turku. How awesome is that? Be sure to get your tickets for that specific act. ;)

Some update from the rehearsals as well:
We've got 9 new songs so far that are extremely potential for the next album. The songs are extremely versatile. Some really fast stuff to slower songs with huge choruses.

We also updated our equipment a bit for demo recording. We used to do all our demos (since last 5 years) with a 8-track recorder from ancient history, utilizing zip disks that are not sold anywhere nowadays. We've lived with a constant fear that some of the disks break (or just start to malfunction as usual) during the recordings and we would have to start all over again. But those days are gone since now we have an actual digital recorder for demo sessions. We will hit the rehearsal space in a couple of weeks to record a few more of the new songs.

Sorry for the delay with the new video. The timeline we had in mind was a bit optimistic since the producer is extremely busy with his dayjob and we want to have a bit of a extra work with this video. ;) So be patient.

See ya later!

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:17 am

Demo recordings on going
Hey,

Small status report after a very intensive recording weekend.
We hit rehearsal space yesterday with Tero and Jappe to record demos for 7 new songs. We tried a new approach by putting bass tracks to the tape simultaneously as we recorded drums. We finally said goodbye to our old .zip discs and used a digital recorder. Hurray! :D

Was a blast. The songs are really tight and was nice to try out my new drumkit in the demo sessions. Had again some technical problems with the mics. Some of them always brake, don't know why? Of course was a bit of getting used to with the new recorder as well. Luckily Jappe is always eager to get familiar with those.

Yesterday we spend some 6 hours or a bit more to put up the equipment, to try the sounds and recorded 5 of the songs.

The songs all have still working titles which are getting weirder every year (the working titles I mean). Of these 5 songs, most we're bit faster songs including again some really nice and fresh elements for Excalion.

The evening was of course relaxing together with some nice drinks and pizza/kebab (what else?).

Today we finalized two last songs. The other quite heavy but slower song and one power ballad. So to conclude, the first day included quite much more bass drum hits. hehe

The next step Tero will finalize his bass lines to the songs. We got most to the tape while I recorded (Tero recorded along with me) but the focus was in the drums so that when I had good take, we agreed that Tero can easily then record later if his take wasn't as good at the same time.

But anyways. Great feeling. Songs are great, making demos is more fun now...Just then next step waiting to hear those final and of course waiting to get to the studio again for the next album!
+ some photos in here: http://excalion-official.blogspot.com/2 ... going.html

:D :D :D

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 am

The Video is online!
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3C3kTuvNFr0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3C3kTuvNFr0?fs=1&amp;hl=fi_FI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

The demos are almost ready too. I f they enter studio before September I expect the new album to be released in December according to the release of High Time last year.

Babylon

Post by Babylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:06 am

The video is great! :D And that new album would make a nice Xmas present :)