Amberian Dawn

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Amberian Dawn

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:09 pm

Amberian Dawn is a female-fronted Neo Classical Power Metal Band from Finnland. I know, sounds like a Nightwish copy. But calling them Nightwish Wannabes or copys is very unfair. Compared to Nightwish, who get the classical sound more from the accompanying orchestra and their Keyboarder, Amberian Dawn incorporates the classical melodies and song structures directly into the keyboards and the guitar riffs and leads. But you have to listen to the band for yourself to Judge them.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBe3JoVlHQI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yBe3JoVlHQI&hl ... 2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-IrlUb2QSIo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-IrlUb2QSIo&hl ... 2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNsuhE2m2Zo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KNsuhE2m2Zo&hl ... 2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stealth

Re: Amberian Dawn

Post by Stealth » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Mentioned them in the underrated bands topic. Excellent band. Their second album, "The Clouds of Northland Thunder", is an improvement over the debut album "River of Tuoni".
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:26 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Amberian Dawn incorporates the classical melodies and song structures directly into the keyboards and the guitar riffs and leads.
These were the magic words that got me interested, because I've waited for some band to do classically influenced metal, that is more than just an orchestra on top of d-tuned guitars.
I like a lot what I'm hearing, Rageheads description really seems to hold.

These guys sound like they actually know what they're doing and are not just a bunch of ordinary metal musicians who noticed that symphonic metal sells. Great guitars on those songs and I like the vocalist waaay more than Tarja Turunen.
I'll definitely check them out. Now I'm just waiting for a metal band with a male opera -singer. :P

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:43 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:Amberian Dawn incorporates the classical melodies and song structures directly into the keyboards and the guitar riffs and leads.
These were the magic words that got me interested, because I've waited for some band to do classically influenced metal, that is more than just an orchestra on top of d-tuned guitars.

These guys sound like they actually know what they're doing and are not just a bunch of ordinary metal musicians who noticed that symphonic metal sells. Great guitars on those songs and I like the vocalist waaay more than Tarja Turunen.
I'll definitely check them out. Now I'm just waiting for a metal band with a male opera -singer. :P
PowerWolf might the the band that you've been waiting for.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:08 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Mormegil wrote:

I checked some of their songs on YouTube and singer-wise it's close to what I'm looking for, but the music isn't really my thing. I'll keep an eye on them, in case I warm up to them.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:10 pm

Mormegil wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Mormegil wrote:

I checked some of their songs on YouTube and singer-wise it's close to what I'm looking for, but the music isn't really my thing. I'll keep an eye on them, in case I warm up to them.
Well, I think this is as close as you will get to find a male operatic metal singer.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:55 am

Meh, I'm not a fan of PowerWolf's singer. In any case Mormegil, I think the closest you'll get to an opera singer is Mathias Blad from Falconer.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAFp4x6kkw0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAFp4x6kkw0&hl ... 2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:09 pm

No. This guy isn't an opera singer. He is a musical singer.

The closest you'll get to an opera singer in Metal is Attila Dorm/Dr. Don Rodgers from Powerwolf. And just because you don't like his voice doesn't make it bad.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:34 pm

God damn it Ragehead! Why do you always take disagreement as a personal offense?

1) Check my post and tell me exactly where I said that the guy from PowerWolf is bad. I said I'm not a fan of him. I don't like his style. I never said he is bad.

2) I know Blad is a musical singer. Still, just because the other guy had training as an opera singer doesn't mean he sings like one. Maybe Blad had classical training and you don't know it. Regardless, I'm not trying to have an argument, I just think that Blad sounds more like an opera singer than the guy from PowerWolf. And I base that strictly on how they sound when they sing, not on the training they received.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:45 pm

Then please explain, how does Attila Dorn sing like? When I think of Opera singer I think of guys like him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA) or him (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTBml4oOZ8) and I think Mormegil does to. Any while Attila/Don/whatever his name is may not be a perfect operatic singer (judging from his PowerWolf stuff. I dunno what he would sound like in a pure operatic environment) he comes closer to those to than Blad ever will.

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Aha, so Attila sings in the same style as Pavarotti and the other guy. :roll:

I like how you forcibly try to impose an argument. "NO", Attila does not sing closer to opera than Blad.
It's lame how you try to put people (in this case Mormegil) on your side. (I think X is an opera singer and I think Mormegil does too). Well, I think so too. The problem is, Attila sounds nothing like them.

Ok Ragy, go have your cookies and chocolate milk. No pouts!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:54 pm

Attila sounds more like those two guys than Blad ever did. If Mormegi really is going for something like Pavarotti and Paul Potts, then Attila is as close as he can get. I never said that he sounds exactly like them. It would be possible that he can sing in the way they do if he is in a pure oparetic environment, the same goes for Blad too. But from the material we can judge them on (the 3 PowerWolf albums by Attila and the 4 Falconer Albums with Mathias Blad and his musical work) Blad sounds even more less like those 2 than Attila does. Attila is as close as you can get to a operatic male singer in Heavy Metal. At least I do not now about any other singer that sings the way Attila sings. If you handle the term very loosly you maybe also could count Joakim Broden from Sabaton.

Carcass

Post by Carcass » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:59 pm

So cute. :3

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:I never said that he sounds exactly like them.
He sounds NOTHING like them.
Carcass wrote:So cute. :3
Agreed. :D

Circular arguments rule.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:40 pm

Stealth wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:I never said that he sounds exactly like them.
He sounds NOTHING like them.
He does sound a bit like them. He doesn't sound exactly like them but at points he does sound a bit like them. Not throughout the whole album, but at certain points you can hear that he is a trained opera singer.

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:50 pm

I think Roy Khan of Kamelot also has an opera training, but he doesn't sound like one for me.
Falconer is ok, but as Ragehead pointed out, I was looking someone more in the vein of Pavarotti indeed. :P

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 pm

Mormegil wrote:I think Roy Khan of Kamelot also has an opera training, but he doesn't sound like one for me.
Falconer is ok, but as Ragehead pointed out, I was looking someone more in the vein of Pavarotti indeed. :P
Well, I think both Attila and Kahn can sing like those 2. But it wouldn't really fit the music.

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:07 pm

For those who like AD there is also Epica, and Epica being with Ensiferum my fav band, I'm gonna say that I find Epica's songs a little better than AD's...

And Roy Khan is definitly an opera singer!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:14 pm

Actually I always thought that Epica was a bit dull.

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Well, cant say that I agree, just listen to the Consign to Oblivion song, best song ever with Ensiferum's Lai Lai Hei...

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 am

Noice!

Really liked this, I'm trying to get my hands on more content as I write. I can't draw any sort of comparison with Nightwish (or any other band) at this point since I haven't listened to a single album yet, but that singer would certainly be a *much* suitable replacement for Tarja than Annete.

Even though I loved that "bands you never heard of before" thread, I think I prefer when people create individual threads for bands. Maybe we could always have it like this, one post in the "bands you never heard of before" thread as in an index of sorts, and one individual thread with more detailed info.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:21 am

fernandotcl wrote:that singer would certainly be a *much* suitable replacement for Tarja than Annete.
I totally agree. This is exactly what I told a friend of mine. However, imho the guys from Nightwish have turned into assholes, so I much prefer hearing Heidi Parviainen singing for Amberian Dawn than for Nightwish. I like Amberian Dawn's albums more than the two or three most recent Nightwish albums. Oceanborn and Wishmaster are just awesome, but after those albums Nightwish's level has declined. Again, just my opinion.

Arkash

Post by Arkash » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:04 pm

I personally love all NW albums, even if, of course, Angel fall first (an UFO in music that is, this album!), Oceanborn and Once are just outstanding, I pretty like DPP too, cause musically speaking, it's NW at their best, sad the vocals dont follow the simply amazing music created by the 4 guys! Just imagine DPP sung by Tarja, that would have been NW best ever!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Imagine that album sung by the AD Singer.

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:27 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Actually I always thought that Epica was a bit dull.
Have you ever heard their album The Divine Conspiracy? That was in my opinion their first REAL good album. The new one wich is coming out next month also sounds really good so far!

Ricardo1701

Post by Ricardo1701 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:01 pm

fernandotcl wrote: that singer would certainly be a *much* suitable replacement for Tarja than Annete.
No way!

For me, Anette is the best thing that happen to Nightwish..

for those who compain about her voice, try watching some recent videos (like the last show of DDP Tour in Hartwall arena), she is much more in tune, and her voice is way better than before

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Ricardo1701 wrote:
fernandotcl wrote: that singer would certainly be a *much* suitable replacement for Tarja than Annete.
No way!
Yes she is! Annetes voice is nice but nothing really special and it doesn't suit the old Tarja stuff. The AD chick would be the perfect fit. Time for Tuomas to write another letter. Or if he doesn't want to make huge efforts he could just take the old one, cross out Tarja and write Annete over it.

Ricardo1701

Post by Ricardo1701 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:25 pm

well...for me, the old songs are better with Anette, and IMO, her voice is special...

another opera singer would have too many comparison, and, I belive that wouldn't achive new fans, and would lost some...

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:44 pm

I think Nightwish has lost more fans by having Anette than they would ever have by replacing Tarja with another opera singer.

Ricardo1701

Post by Ricardo1701 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:35 am

actually, Dark Passion Tour was the biggest tour in the band history...