Recommend me some SONATA ARCTICA

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Re: Recommend me some SONATA ARCTICA

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:01 pm

I personally can't get "Flag in the Ground" ouf of my head. But that is quite frankly the only song I really enjoy off of the new album.

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 am

icecab21 wrote:depends on the person, for some it's very catchy first listen.
:)

actually, generalisation is never good, i should know :?
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:35 am

I’m confused to the "actually" part. My statement was that music is personal, not much generalizing in saying that each person has a different reaction to music.

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 am

i know, and i generalised the whole stuff so i kinda impersonalised the music :roll:
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Saffron

Post by Saffron » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Anyone heard the bonus track "Nothing more"? Get the same feeling as with ecliptica when I hear it.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm7N6pHBE3M
We don’t necessarily discriminate.
We simply exclude certain types of people.

GuiHunter

Post by GuiHunter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:17 pm

Victoria's Secret
Tolkki to Kotipelto:
- I talked with GOD and He said that I am the best in this band...
Kotipelto:
- I don't remember I said that...
( Fear No Beer !!! )

Maddest Hatter

Post by Maddest Hatter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:28 am

Thanks to everyone who offered their input and suggestions. I ended up ordering Ecliptica and Silence just based on the responses from this thread.

To be honest, there really wasn't anything that really grabbed me on either album. I liked Silence quite a bit more than Ecliptica, but I really couldn't tell a lot of the songs apart on either album. To be fair, I need to give both albums a couple of plays with a pair of good headphones as some albums can only be experienced fully this way. But I certainly didn't get the same rush of excitement that I got the first time I heard Strato. Not that either CD was bad, just not what I was expecting after hearing so many rave reviews.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 am

if someone can't tell the songs apart, that would definitly hamper the expirence

nepi

Post by nepi » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:36 pm

Maddest Hatter wrote:Thanks to everyone who offered their input and suggestions. I ended up ordering Ecliptica and Silence just based on the responses from this thread.

To be honest, there really wasn't anything that really grabbed me on either album. I liked Silence quite a bit more than Ecliptica, but I really couldn't tell a lot of the songs apart on either album. To be fair, I need to give both albums a couple of plays with a pair of good headphones as some albums can only be experienced fully this way. But I certainly didn't get the same rush of excitement that I got the first time I heard Strato. Not that either CD was bad, just not what I was expecting after hearing so many rave reviews.
I remember my first shot at Sonata... I liked Kingdom for a Heart and went to the store to listen the album, but i didnt like it anyhow... after a couple of weeks, was standing in front of ecliptica and i just bought it... at home, i couldnt stop jumping around :-)
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:05 pm

nepi wrote: I remember my first shot at Sonata... I liked Kingdom for a Heart and went to the store to listen the album, but i didnt like it anyhow... after a couple of weeks, was standing in front of ecliptica and i just bought it... at home, i couldnt stop jumping around :-)
Wait i'm totally confused. Did you end up buying the album, or a trampoline!?!? :shock:

nepi

Post by nepi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:32 am

AAAAAAAAAA wrote:
nepi wrote: I remember my first shot at Sonata... I liked Kingdom for a Heart and went to the store to listen the album, but i didnt like it anyhow... after a couple of weeks, was standing in front of ecliptica and i just bought it... at home, i couldnt stop jumping around :-)
Wait i'm totally confused. Did you end up buying the album, or a trampoline!?!? :shock:
after the sound blasted my head away and i jumped around like whatever, i recognised i couldnt jump enough so i bought a trampoline

:twisted: :D
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

Natasha

Post by Natasha » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:45 am

icecab21 wrote:It’s my favorite band so I don’t know; pretty much anything they do works for me. . I think the first albums are the most hooks per second and they have my favorite lead keyboard sound. First albums have lots of my big three of harpsichord, strings, and choir. The latest two have Hammond organ and this last ones has more actual orchestration.
Yeah, anything they did 'til now, I really like.
They are my favorite band (or one of my favorites - depends on day/week/month), too.
~ power metal ~

Heart of an eagle
He flies through the rainbow
Into a new world and finds the sun
Spreading his wings
Above all the sorrows
The glory of Eagleheart <3

Natasha

Post by Natasha » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 am

I'M SORRY FOR DOUBLE REPLY. I forgot to edit post above this one.
:lol:

Intiaani wrote:So I must recommend Silence. I continuously find something new from it, and it just gets better and better the more I listen to it. It's also very thematically bound, a loose concept in many ways. Also Kakko's singing is already pretty calm and good, not as annoying as parts on Ecliptica. I think Silence is their strongest album with most feel. The ending track The Power of One must be one of the best songs I know. It might be a pretty demanding album, but it's mostly easy to listen and very beautiful. All the songs on it are very melody-driven; I think it's the best Sonata album in that aspect. I haven't heard The Days of Grays yet though. So, Silence all the way! :)
Yeah, Ecliptica has very high vocals, and on Silence, it's more calm.

The Power Of One is one beautiful song. Also, White Pearl, Black Oceans, My Dream's But A Drop Of Fuel For A Nightmare, The Boy Who Wanted To Be A Real Puppet, No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart, Deathaura, and many more...
I just named the songs which are longer than others and/or have longer names. :lol: But that ones are really beautiful. :yes: <3 :luv1:

palarmux wrote:I am REALLY disappointed for sonata arcticas new album :( It's too differend and so... It'a my opinion. I dont any sonata fan get angry from this :)
"The Days Of Grays" is not the album which you're gonna like after first listening, like "Unia". At least, for me.

When I heard "Unia" for the first time, it was like, what the fuck is this? :lol: But after a few listenings, I've felt in love with that album, and it was my favorite, with "Reckoning Night", 'til The Days Of Grays didn't came out. Actually, 'til I fell in love with "The Days Of Grays".
At first, it was, 'nope, I don't like it at all (except "Flag In The Ground", "The Last Amazing Grays", and eventually "In The Dark")', and I thought I'll not give a chance to this album.
But then, after a few weeks, I gave it a chance, and that was smart decision, 'cause that album is now my favorite, and can't stop listening to it.

My personal favorites are "Juliet" (beautiful one :luv1:)"Flag In The Ground" (it's a reworked version of "BlackOut" from the demo Friend 'till the End, which means, beginning of their career ^^), that's why it is so melodic and catchy, then... "The Last Amazing Grays" (it also has some influences from early days), "In The Dark", "The Dead Skin" (interesting one), "No Dream Can Heal A Broken Heart", "Deathaura" (Tony is one awesome composer, and this song is one of the songs that shows how amazing he actually is), "Everything Fades To Gray", "The Truth Is Out There", "Zeroes" (great song, especially catchy beginning "Dancing on the borderline" :D)
Actually, almost all the songs. "As If.." was good to me, but now I don't like it so much., and "Breathing" is cute, but not so awesome, like almost all others.
~ power metal ~

Heart of an eagle
He flies through the rainbow
Into a new world and finds the sun
Spreading his wings
Above all the sorrows
The glory of Eagleheart <3

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:37 am

I usually don't say this, especially about bands I enjoy like Sonata Arctica, but I honestly couldn't finish listening to it it was so terrible

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:18 am

rebel can pull a ragehead too.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:43 am

icecab21 wrote:rebel can pull a ragehead too.
Hey, I'm allowed one ragehead moment every once in awhile, it was certifiably awful, and I've loved everything Sonata has done thus far.
It's not that I didn't like what they were trying to do, the execution was just awful though.
Production sounded weak, it was unfocused, and the darkness that Tony has been so brilliant at expressing was lost under all the noise.
At times (Especially in, I believe it was Deathaura) it sounded like they were trying to be Blind Guardian, but they failed miserably.

I'm sure Elias is a great guitarist, but his performances on this album were the most noticeably lacking.
Jani could do more with less, (See: Caleb, Flight of the Black Swan), Elias however just sounds weak.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:01 am

I don't think you are listening to it in a way that would make the most out of it. Certainly others have made more out of it than you have. There are certainly other ways to listen that would allow you to appreciate it more.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:05 am

Like, having the speakers behind him or in the same room? ???
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:07 am

mindset is one thing, seems like he is going about it with a certain agenda and that another agenda would be a better fit for getting more out of the music

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:47 am

I didn't have high hopes for this album, by any means. But What I did expect at the least was some form of Melodic Power Metal.
The melodies seemed either far too noisy, or far too sparce, as a result, I didn't feel there was the power that I got out of their previous works, and as for the metal aspect, it just didn't have that heaviness necessary for metal. It tried to be all these things, but the execution just didn't do it for me.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:53 am

perhaps listening to "music" rather than "metal" can help out there.

As for the whole "this album is terrible thing", and since you are a musician that talks about wanting to have a band and all, create your own album that shows the features of music you would like most. Id rather hears that result than insulting the work of others. I’ve heard plenty of people talk about how one album terrible and then come up with music a lot worse, so don’t be in that group. Lots of people insult albums that made a greater impact than what they themselves create so don’t be in that group.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:00 am

icecab21 wrote:perhaps listening to "music" rather than "metal" can help out there.

As for the whole "this album is terrible thing", and since you are a musician that talks about wanting to have a band and all, create your own album that shows the features of music you would like most. Id rather hears that result than insulting the work of others. I’ve heard plenty of people talk about how one album terrible and then come up with music a lot worse, so don’t be in that group. Lots of people insult albums that made a greater impact than what they themselves create so don’t be in that group.
I'm not a pure metal listener, I hold the core belief that every genre (Yes, even rap) has good material.
Aside from Metal I listen to a large amount of classic rock, funk, psychedelic, and blues, and also, about 70% of Buckethead's material (Which is a sizable amount), he in many ways defines a different kind of music.
HOWEVER
Sonata Arctica, similar to Michael Kiske, would be better off sticking to their strengths..

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:31 am

I do think music should be rated not form an individual opinion level, but based on the stories of those who were positively touched by it. In that aspect the album succeeds since there are many. All these albums have the individuals that think they suck and hate them, but I think if we get beyond this individuality than there can be a much better social aspect of the music.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:36 am

icecab21 wrote:I do think music should be rated not form an individual opinion level, but based on the stories of those who were positively touched by it. In that aspect the album succeeds since there are many. All these albums have the individuals that think they suck and hate them, but I think if we get beyond this individuality than there can be a much better social aspect of the music.
In many ways though that rejects musicality, I've always believed that music is a statement, that has its worth in the creativity that goes into it, and the purity in which its presented, commercialization rejects both the individual's creativity, and the purity to present it, but increases the exposure and total effect.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:02 am

I don’t think musicality is as important as how people react to the music. Plenty of tribal music is very simple but is the most spiritual music I can think of, I would not really call that music some skill fest, its more about the community and rhythmic simplicity and the meditation brought by it.

The guys made the album they wanted to, they did not bring in some super producer or anything.

I think there is a lot of creativity in the music and that the production is a statement of purity since its not some polished thing catered to fit needs for a certain production setting.

We all have different ears for different melodies, tonys matches mine very well and I find the album extremely catchy and don't at all find the noise or lack of melody that you found when I listen to it.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:23 am

icecab21 wrote:I don’t think musicality is as important as how people react to the music. Plenty of tribal music is very simple but is the most spiritual music I can think of, I would not really call that music some skill fest, its more about the community and rhythmic simplicity and the meditation brought by it.

The guys made the album they wanted to, they did not bring in some super producer or anything.

I think there is a lot of creativity in the music and that the production is a statement of purity since its not some polished thing catered to fit needs for a certain production setting.

We all have different ears for different melodies, tonys matches mine very well and I find the album extremely catchy and don't at all find the noise or lack of melody that you found when I listen to it.
I said nothing of complexity, just the purity of music.
Black Sabbath's debut took 12 hours to record, and I draw about 45% of my guitar playing from that album and paranoid.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:38 am

really nothing about the sonata arctica album that i would say is not pure, if anythings its a example of pure since they did what they wanted and then people happened to like it. i would find it hard to believe anyone that said a calculated market oriented product would turn out like this cd

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:59 am

icecab21 wrote:really nothing about the sonata arctica album that i would say is not pure, if anythings its a example of pure since they did what they wanted and then people happened to like it. i would find it hard to believe anyone that said a calculated market oriented product would turn out like this cd
I was using that to say why I don't judge an album based on what anyone else thinks.
Days of Grays is simply unimpressive and self indulgent, there are very few voices that could carry an album on their own, (Andi Deris and Hansi Kursch are two that I would argue in favor of), and it seems like that's what Tony is trying to do, and I just don't find his voice exciting enough to do it

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:33 am

I think your a little more self indulged on how you rate this kind of thing. All this stuff on "it’s a fact" and "certifiably" when it’s merely that you have a taste for a different kind of thing.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:36 am

icecab21 wrote:I think your a little more self indulged on how you rate this kind of thing. All this stuff on "it’s a fact" and "certifiably" when it’s merely that you have a taste for a different kind of thing.
Admittedly, I tend to over adjectate.