Falconer

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
Falconer

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:27 pm

I've just listened to Northwind and Among Beggars and Thieves again and I just had to open a thread about this awesome band. The history of this band goes back as far as the early 90s when Stefan Weinerhall founded Cerberus in 1992. In 1993 the band changed their name to Mithotyn. They released 3 albums in the late 90s and split up in 1999 because Weinerhall wanted to go a more melodic root and make Folk Metal with a clean singer. So the same year he founded Falconer. Through Helene Blad, who was keyboard player in Mithotyn from 1994 to 1995, he came in contact with her brother Mathias, a rather succesful stage singer. Blad was supposed to be a seasson singer, but joined the band full-time later. Blad is what makes this band special. They released 2 albums, Falconer and Chapters from a Vale Forlorn, but split with Blad in 2002 because the band wanted to go on tour while Blad wanted to focus more on his stage carrere. He was repaced by Kristoffer Göbel. They also released 2 albums with him. The first one, The Sceptre of Deception, was not really different from the other 2 but got a lot of unfavourable reviews because of Göbel. On the 2nd one, Grime Vs. Grandeur, all the Folk Influences were nearly completely gone and it was more of a pure Power Metal album. It wasn't really bad but again it got a lot of unfavourable reviews. In late 2005 it was announced that Göbel was fired and Blad would return. They released 2 albums, Northwind and Among Beggars and Thieves, since then and both were basicly back to the roots Folk Influenced Power Metal Albums. You should check them out:

Carnival of Disqust Videoclip:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAFp4x6kkw0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TAFp4x6kkw0&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Cross Emotional Skies Videoclip:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkyYr5ipSog&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mkyYr5ipSog&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Northwind:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PB087L5NrzE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PB087L5NrzE&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/img]

Balu

Re: Falconer

Post by Balu » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:07 pm

They sound pretty good.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:43 pm

Balu wrote:They sound pretty good.
These guys totally rock!!! I love this band! I own every album. "among beggars and thiefs" is very underrated. A lot of people didn't like their speedier direction on that album.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
These guys totally rock!!! I love this band! I own every album. "among beggars and thiefs" is very underrated. A lot of people didn't like their speedier direction on that album.
I always thought the popular opinion was the other way around. That most of the people didn't like the very melodic Northwind and that Among Beggars and Thieves" is the REAL return of the band.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
I always thought the popular opinion was the other way around. That most of the people didn't like the very melodic Northwind and that Among Beggars and Thieves" is the REAL return of the band.
Very strange =) But this is the oppinion I have got from people in Sweden. I agree with you though, I love this type of music.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:48 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Very strange =) But this is the oppinion I have got from people in Sweden. I agree with you though, I love this type of music.
In my opinion both albums are awesome although I like Northwind more. I think Mathias singing on that one was better.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:53 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
In my opinion both albums are awesome although I like Northwind more. I think Mathias singing on that one was better.
I love both albums! I was very glad when he returned to the band.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:56 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Well, I think the 2 albums with that Göbel weren't that bad. Actually Grime Vs. Grandeur was very good. But they should've released it under a different name.

Balu

Post by Balu » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:06 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
Yes, they are good, but nothing special for me.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Well, for me they are. Because of Mathias.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Well, I think the 2 albums with that Göbel weren't that bad. Actually Grime Vs. Grandeur was very good. But they should've released it under a different name.
I never said they were bad, both albums are good. I just prefer Mathias =)

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:08 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Rage1979 wrote:
I never said they were bad, both albums are good. I just prefer Mathias =)
Me too. I just think it is a bit unfair that everyone hates those albums just because Göbel isn't Mathias.

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:53 pm

They're really great. All their albums were good. Their last two albums were great. Their first two albums were awesome.

I liked both Among Beggars And Thieves and Northwind equally, and I think they're back on track now that Mathias is back, but I think they have yet to release an album that will match the quality of their eponymous.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:59 pm

They're actually working on a new album right now. At least according to their homepage.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:57 pm

I got me some Mithotyn. And I have to say it is pretty good. The only thing that kills it for me is their singer. I like guys like Pekka Kokko from Kalmah, Petri Lindroos from Ensiferum and formerly Norther, Jari Mäenpää from Wintersun and formerly Ensiferum and Mikael Stanne from Dark Tranquility and formerly In Flames. But this guy is just...uagh.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:They're actually working on a new album right now. At least according to their homepage.
Great news!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:23 am

Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:They're actually working on a new album right now. At least according to their homepage.
Great news!
Well, they said that this album will be different. Not different enough to change the name but different enough to piss ceartain people off. I have the bad feeling that the band might will pull a Unia on us.

To quote someone from the Falconer forum:
Wait, wait, let me guess. The band has become bored of the power-metal style and wants to go in a progressive/hard-rock direction. The double-bass will go out the window, and so much for solos; all guitars will be heavily downtuned and the bass guitar will suddenly become oppresive. Catchy choruses are for the simple minded, so none of those--in fact, nothing that's fun to sing along with at all. Add five key changes and cut the tempos in half. There will also be at least one bizarre psychadelic minimalist section per song.

Pardon me, but yes, I have become a little annoyed lately with the best names in power metal doing major surgery on a successful style, pretty much always for the worse. I get it, I get the whole "not wanting to repeat the same album over and over," but the cumulative impact of it is starting to grate on me.

Prove me wrong, Stefan. :p

Intiaani
Location:Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Post by Intiaani » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:06 pm

What's with your changing name policy ALREADY? :lol:

By the way, I don't like this supposed change of style Falconer also seems to be in the middle of. I liked their pleasant power metal. The vocalist is great as long as he keeps things down and won't go to the upper registers. But it works as a little style of power metal I don't think any other bands do. Well Kamelot, more or less. Still, Falconer is very different from Kamelot.
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Intiaani wrote:What's with your changing name policy ALREADY? :lol:
Wait, what?-+

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:18 pm

Anyway, I think the change Stefan is writing about is the change into a more operatic, "musical" sort of direction like the song "Dreams and Pryes".

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Anyway, I think the change Stefan is writing about is the change into a more operatic, "musical" sort of direction like the song "Dreams and Pryes".
Dreams and pyres is a simply amazing track!

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:41 pm

Rage1979 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:Anyway, I think the change Stefan is writing about is the change into a more operatic, "musical" sort of direction like the song "Dreams and Pryes".
Dreams and pyres is a simply amazing track!
I agree. I would love to have another concept album with this sort of music! I love the last concept album they did with Kriss and I'd love to get one with Mathias.

Balaak

Post by Balaak » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Yeah, I found these guys on pandora the other day. Their stuff is pretty damn good. What album would you recommend if I were to buy one?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Balaak wrote:Yeah, I found these guys on pandora the other day. Their stuff is pretty damn good. What album would you recommend if I were to buy one?
Either the S/T one or Northwind.

Equinox

Post by Equinox » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:30 am

I'm a big fan since the day of the first album. Matias' voice is amazing.

But, to tell you the truth I didn't quite enjoyed ABT as much as the first 2 and Northwind. I think it needed more speed and less bwha bwha.

But they still rock.
"Insanity: A Perfect Rational Adjustment To An Insane World"

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:49 am

They are OK.
I have heard their stuff but I haven't been too interested yet.
Don't worry in a few years I will get to know this band a bit better and then I can tell if I will use my precious money to buy their albums.