Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
User avatar
Arkash
Sr. Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:15 am
Location: France.

Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Arkash » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 pm

Release Date: January, 29th 2010



To The Metal will be released via earMUSIC. EarMUSIC is a project of Edel.

The new Gamma Ray offering is thoroughbred and classy, fast-paced and deep, and holds a few surprises in store which distinguish the band from the mass of acts who try their hand at similar styles and sounds.



The line-up consisting of Kai Hansen (vocals/guitar), Dirk Schlächter (bass), Henjo Richter (guitar) and Daniel Zimmermann (drums) recorded a total of twelve new songs at their own studio in Hamburg in autumn 2009. Ten of them will feature on the regular album release, and two additional bonus tracks can be heard on different editions of the album, the band’s stylistic range including a full-throttle number such as ‘Rise’, the rhythmic and melodically diverse ‘Time To Live’, and the multilayered anthem ‘All You Need To Know’ (which has given rise to speculation about a spectacular guest singer), as well as the sensitive ballad ‘No Need To Cry’, composer/lyricist Dirk Schlächter’s attempt to come to terms with the untimely death of his father. Of course, there’s also the awesome title track – first introduced at the Wacken 2009 open-air and a number of festivals in Scandinavia and considered absolutely indispensible by the fans, which Gamma Ray recorded as a classic Metal track in the midtempo range, making it a real anthem.



The atmospherically dense ‘Empathy’ sees Gamma Ray prove their amazing musical potential again, which keeps manifesting itself in exceptional and eminently interesting compositions. This song includes all the features of a diverse, exciting and multi-faceted number, in other words: sweeping sounds, cool grooves, a progressive touch and then – almost as if from nowhere – a chorus which seriously bowls you over. Subsequently, the band soar up to an almost oriental-sounding solo part, changing key several times within the track.

The album will be available in four versions:

1) as a regular jewel case CD
2) as a limited edition featuring an additional DVD (including an exciting making-of)
3) as a red vinyl in gatefold packaging
4) as a collectors’ edition featuring CD and 7” vinyl with 2 unreleased tracks, completely hand-signed



The elaborate cover was designed by Herve Monjeaud, so the visual side of the new album is perfectly covered. Gamma Ray will present all this and much more from 6th February 2010, precisely one week after the release of their latest album, as part of an extensive world tour. Freedom Call had just been confirmed as special guests of the “To The Metal” tour, with Secret Sphere as support act.
Fuck yeah, that sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:31 pm

From Recordshop X:
1. Rise
2. Deadlands
3. Mother angel
4. No need to cry
5. Empathy
6. To the metal
7. All you need to know
8. Time to live
9. Shine forever
10. Breaking away

DVD:
60 minutes documentary film shot in HD featuring interviews, the album in the making, classic Gamma Ray songs live, the mixing, behind the scenes, songs work in progress.
Bonus material:
3 video clips (including “To the metal”)
Full unedited interview with Kai Hansen)
(total length 80 minutes approx.)
Source: http://www.levykauppax.fi/artist/gamma_ ... ak_cd_dvd/

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Babylon » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:02 pm

Awesome! Really looking forward to this.

User avatar
VictorTDD
Sr. Member
Posts: 339
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:23 am
Location: Zhe Jiang, China
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by VictorTDD » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:48 am

:shock:

User avatar
Intiaani
Sr. Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Intiaani » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:45 pm

I love those kind of "hypes from the inside" like there is on a starting post. Already drooling for the tracks the text mentioned!

Also, ;ASD;;D;SD;AS;SSD for the 80-minute DVD! :shock:

There goes the subscription. ^_^
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

User avatar
DawnIsHere
Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by DawnIsHere » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:15 am

Just pre-ordered the limited digipak CD+DVD :evil:

Now wait 6-8 weeks to arrive :jump2:
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

User avatar
exe knight
Sr. Member
Posts: 2551
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:04 pm
Location: the whitefish river (siikajoki)

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by exe knight » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:20 am

Cool thing, I don't like the "metal" thing, but cool to hear that we will have something that's not just normal powermetal. :)

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by icecab21 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:27 pm

I think the part "similar styles and sounds" shows they are different by definition of similar. I always wonder why people even write that. i think the point of this is that everything is the same apart from tones, thats the way i like it

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:33 pm

I wonder if this album will contain as much "tributes" to their Idols as the other ones did.

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by icecab21 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:50 pm

Its metal, that kind of thing happens simply by writing anything. I’m sure there will be all sorts of things to find intentional or not. With these German heavy metal bands it’s kind of the thing. Really only so much a person can do when writing this kind of song, since they are so simple and any variation of a pattern still gets called tribute or worse

User avatar
Mormegil
Sr. Member
Posts: 4327
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:31 pm
Location: United States of Europe, FI, Pori
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Mormegil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:50 pm

I didn't really like the last two albums, but I'm certainly going to check this one out.

User avatar
Arkash
Sr. Member
Posts: 706
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:15 am
Location: France.

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Arkash » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:29 pm

I dont see why so much people didnt like LOTFII, for me, it's an amazing album!!!!

Same thing goes for last Rhapsody album: Triumph or Agony, nothing to do with GR, but for me ToA is the best Rhapsody album...
Through the storms we've wandered
Many mountains we have climbed
But all the bad times are behind
The road is free - I'm coming home

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Babylon » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:06 am

Arkash wrote:I dont see why so much people didnt like LOTFII, for me, it's an amazing album!!!!
I have to agree there! It's a great album. The only song I don't like is To Mother Earth, but everything else is just awesome.

User avatar
Intiaani
Sr. Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Intiaani » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:08 am

Babylon wrote:
Arkash wrote:I dont see why so much people didnt like LOTFII, for me, it's an amazing album!!!!
I have to agree there! It's a great album. The only song I don't like is To Mother Earth, but everything else is just awesome.
I see this A LOT. "I didn't like LotF II, especially the song To Mother Earth was horrible!"

In my opinion it has to be one of the best Gamma Ray albums ever, and To Mother Earth is one of its best songs! I think From the Ashes, To Mother Earth, Empress, Opportunity and Insurrection form the top 5 almost better than any Gamma Ray top 5 ever. :) I think it's Majestic that didn't quite work. It was "only" solid all the way but didn't have any supreme songs. LotF II has.

Once again, the album groups!

1. (The best albums) Heading for Tomorrow, Somewhere Out in Space, Power Plant, No World Order, Land of the Free II

2. (The great albums [average Gamma Ray]) Sigh No More, Land of the Free, Majestic

3. (An average album [Gamma Ray's worst]) Insanity & Genius
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:12 am

How is Insanity & Genious bad? I think from all the 3 Scheepers it is the secund-best.

User avatar
DawnIsHere
Member
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Lima, Peru
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by DawnIsHere » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:54 am

Intiaani wrote:...
Once again, the album groups!

1. (The best albums) Heading for Tomorrow, Somewhere Out in Space, Power Plant, No World Order, Land of the Free II

2. (The great albums [average Gamma Ray]) Sigh No More, Land of the Free, Majestic

3. (An average album [Gamma Ray's worst]) Insanity & Genius
In my opinion, my ranking is:
1) Land of the Free (the Perfect album)
2) Heading for Tomorrow (almost perfect)
3) Somewhere Out of Space, LOTF II, Majestic (absolutely great)
4) Insanity & Genious, Powerplant, No World Order (great)
5) Sigh No More (the "weakest" IMO, but was the first one I ever listened and back then I thought it was great compared to H's Pink Bubbles and still can kick any H's album done after Time of the Oath *runs and hides from babylon :D *)
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

User avatar
Intiaani
Sr. Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Intiaani » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:14 am

Ragehead91 wrote:How is Insanity & Genious bad? I think from all the 3 Scheepers it is the secund-best.
Ok, knew I should have put Sigh No More to the same group so that no-one would have said it's bad in my opinion. It's not. It's just the most distant album for me, and I've listened it way less than the other ones. It's a pretty quirky album with not that many good songs in my opinion. Basically I like the first three songs as any GR song and then Heal Me, and even that's a lot better on Blast from the Past. So my least favorite from Gamma Ray.
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Babylon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:42 am

Intiaani wrote:
1. (The best albums) Heading for Tomorrow, Somewhere Out in Space, Power Plant, No World Order, Land of the Free II
Absolutely. A couple of days ago I listened to NWO in my car, caught in traffic for about half an hour, so I just turned up the volume and enjoyed it :D But I think Power Plant is my favorite GR album.

User avatar
Intiaani
Sr. Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Intiaani » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:50 am

Babylon wrote:
Intiaani wrote:
1. (The best albums) Heading for Tomorrow, Somewhere Out in Space, Power Plant, No World Order, Land of the Free II
Absolutely. A couple of days ago I listened to NWO in my car, caught in traffic for about half an hour, so I just turned up the volume and enjoyed it :D But I think Power Plant is my favorite GR album.
Unbelievable. I also think NWO is THE car album of Gamma Ray. :D I also used to think that PP is the best, but maybe I played it too much a few years back in too small period of time... I'm bored of some of it. Still, Armageddon remains to this day my favorite Gamma Ray song. If I had to choose the best album out of these five I mentioned, it might actually be Somewhere Out in Space.
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Ragehead91 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:19 pm

Intiaani wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:How is Insanity & Genious bad? I think from all the 3 Scheepers it is the secund-best.
Ok, knew I should have put Sigh No More to the same group so that no-one would have said it's bad in my opinion. It's not. It's just the most distant album for me, and I've listened it way less than the other ones. It's a pretty quirky album with not that many good songs in my opinion. Basically I like the first three songs as any GR song and then Heal Me, and even that's a lot better on Blast from the Past. So my least favorite from Gamma Ray.
While I agree that the production is better on "Blast from the Past", the version still suck due to Kai's voice. He can't sing Scheepers songs. He also can't sing Kiske songs. Why does he keep on doing them anyway? Especially live his versions of the Kiske and Scheepers Songs are horrible.

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by icecab21 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:34 pm

The crowd likes them, if the crowd disappeared he would change things, but as long as he can still perform in front of thousands of cheering fans, I don't think he is going to make a change.

Bringing in another singer also splits the pot, I think the guys are fine with where they are at, if not, they would change things up.

User avatar
ggonza43
Sr. Member
Posts: 7280
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 pm
Location: Bs. As., Argentina
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:53 pm

Finally :bounce2:!
|StratoFan Forever|

User avatar
Fuuso
Member
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:09 pm
Location: Jyväskylä, Finland

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Fuuso » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 pm

Can't wait for the album and tour dates for Finland :D

User avatar
Intiaani
Sr. Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Intiaani » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Intiaani wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:How is Insanity & Genious bad? I think from all the 3 Scheepers it is the secund-best.
Ok, knew I should have put Sigh No More to the same group so that no-one would have said it's bad in my opinion. It's not. It's just the most distant album for me, and I've listened it way less than the other ones. It's a pretty quirky album with not that many good songs in my opinion. Basically I like the first three songs as any GR song and then Heal Me, and even that's a lot better on Blast from the Past. So my least favorite from Gamma Ray.
While I agree that the production is better on "Blast from the Past", the version still suck due to Kai's voice. He can't sing Scheepers songs. He also can't sing Kiske songs. Why does he keep on doing them anyway? Especially live his versions of the Kiske and Scheepers Songs are horrible.
I like him singing Scheepers song more than I like Scheepers singing them actually. o.O I think the whole first CD - and the "bonus track" The Silence on the second - are better than the originals. \,,/

He's a poor singer, classically speaking, but just fits in exceptionally well!
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Intiaani wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Intiaani wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:How is Insanity & Genious bad? I think from all the 3 Scheepers it is the secund-best.
Ok, knew I should have put Sigh No More to the same group so that no-one would have said it's bad in my opinion. It's not. It's just the most distant album for me, and I've listened it way less than the other ones. It's a pretty quirky album with not that many good songs in my opinion. Basically I like the first three songs as any GR song and then Heal Me, and even that's a lot better on Blast from the Past. So my least favorite from Gamma Ray.
While I agree that the production is better on "Blast from the Past", the version still suck due to Kai's voice. He can't sing Scheepers songs. He also can't sing Kiske songs. Why does he keep on doing them anyway? Especially live his versions of the Kiske and Scheepers Songs are horrible.
I like him singing Scheepers song more than I like Scheepers singing them actually. o.O I think the whole first CD - and the "bonus track" The Silence on the second - are better than the originals. \,,/

He's a poor singer, classically speaking, but just fits in exceptionally well!
No, they're not. Productionwise they are better. But this doesn't come as a suprise since the "Blast from the Past" album was made in 2000 while the other album was made in 1989 IIRC. But when it comes to singing Kai will never be able to top Ralf or Kiske for that matter.

User avatar
icecab21
Sr. Member
Posts: 3520
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by icecab21 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:23 pm

when it comes to selling records or playing to big crowds, scheepers will never match kai, so i think i would rather be kai in that aspect.

Ragehead91
Sr. Member
Posts: 3660
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:45 pm

I don't care about that. Ralf is the better singer. Period.

User avatar
Intiaani
Sr. Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:10 pm
Location: Buried Alive by Jens The Undertaker at Black... SABBATH!

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Intiaani » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:00 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:I don't care about that. Ralf is the better singer. Period.
My ears say Kai is a better singer! Again, not classically speaking, but better sounding, something, dunno, more fitting, more interesting, unique. Splendid. Wonderful. The voice of Gamma Ray, as it should be. Scheepers is one of those guys close to Kiske/Halford. I actually like him nowadays more than before when he was all about high notes. Nowadays he's rough and more eclectic, sounds like spitting lungs out when he sings. ^_^

Hansen, though, is the master. :D We've spoken of all this before though. You miss a lot if you can't somehow enjoy his voice. :(

Definitely not thinking of production at this point. Just singing styles and voices.
"In Soviet Russia, Stratovarius listens to you!"
- Soviet Russia on Stratovarius

User avatar
Babylon
Sr. Member
Posts: 5097
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:42 pm
Location: Guadalajara, Mexico
Contact:

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Babylon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:56 am

Intiaani wrote: My ears say Kai is a better singer! Again, not classically speaking, but better sounding, something, dunno, more fitting, more interesting, unique. Splendid. Wonderful. The voice of Gamma Ray, as it should be.
Once again, I agree with you. You know maybe he is not techically perfect, but I cannot imagine anyone else singing some GR songs. I'm not really a fan of his singing with Helloween, but he has definitely gotten better with time.

User avatar
Florian
Member
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 11:12 pm

Re: Gamma Ray - To The Metal..... (released).

Post by Florian » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:00 pm

There's only another singer who could replace Kai. It's Ralf. It could happen if Primal Fear stops or something like this. Or maybe Kiske, hehe :D

Post Reply