Recommend me some In Flames

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
mayhem-for-all
Recommend me some In Flames

Post by mayhem-for-all » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:10 pm

This is my next recommend me target.
I really like their stuff and the vocals are quite good for Death Metal vocals which are usually the ones preventing me from actually liking the band.

Actually this band jumped up on my recommend me list after I got Come Clarity as a present yesterday.
I gave it a few spins and I quite like the most of the stuff and all of the songs I have also heard previously have grown on me so I think this might be another great band to be used to fill in my collection.

I guess most of you are going ot recommend albums such as Colony and Clayman but really I would apreciate some opinnions on their whole discography.

and some songs to try out too.

I have a feeling this will be more succesful than Testament thread.

Ragehead91

Re: Recommend me some In Flames

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Everything until Colony is very good Melo Death Metal or whatever you want to call the music thay play.

Clayman is still nice but starts to show the new direction they were going for.

Everything from 2002 onwards just sucks balls in my opinion. Emocore/Mallcore crap. If you like that sort of stuff, good for you. I don't.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Although If you're going for clean vocal, you won't like their older stuff anyway. The singer didn't decide to use clean vocals until 2006 IIRC.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Their early stuff is melodic death metal. After that they decided to do metalcore.
I never liked this band.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:32 pm

My favourite Song by them would be "Stand Ablaze" from the Sunterraneam EP.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:29 am

Ragehead91 wrote:Everything until Colony is very good Melo Death Metal or whatever you want to call the music thay play.

Clayman is still nice but starts to show the new direction they were going for.

Everything from 2002 onwards just sucks balls in my opinion. Emocore/Mallcore crap. If you like that sort of stuff, good for you. I don't.
Yes I like a lot of their older stuff I have heard but like I said Come Clarity seems OK.

And I understand why people blame them for emoish new style but even though there is nothing in me liking that kind of music this doesn't seem so bad.

BUt you people are propably going to warn me not to touch A Sense of Purpose even with a long stick right?

So I should get Colony first?
I think Clayman has some nice stuff too so I could get that one too?

AAAAAAAAAA

Post by AAAAAAAAAA » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:41 am

mayhem-for-all wrote: BUt you people are propably going to warn me not to touch A Sense of Purpose even with a long stick right?
I wouldn't touch it with a six inch phallus, as a great man once said. :lol:

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:Although If you're going for clean vocal, you won't like their older stuff anyway. The singer didn't decide to use clean vocals until 2006 IIRC.
Anders used clean vocals in most choruses on Reroute to Remain (2002).

I think R2R is by far the best album from the new era (2002-). Come Clarity is okay too but ASOP is really bland (I find it difficult to remember what most songs are like) and STYE is just plain BAD.

Colony is my favorite of the older albums but the most accessible album would be Clayman I think.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:01 am

Jabi wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:Although If you're going for clean vocal, you won't like their older stuff anyway. The singer didn't decide to use clean vocals until 2006 IIRC.
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure when he started using them.
mayhem-for-all wrote: BUt you people are propably going to warn me not to touch A Sense of Purpose even with a long stick right?

YES! Don't waste money on this album! If you like this extreme emoish stuff, then you will like this. But if you thought the 2006 album was okay, you'll maybe like this.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:20 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
Jabi wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure when he started using them.

YES! Don't waste money on this album! If you like this extreme emoish stuff, then you will like this. But if you thought the 2006 album was okay, you'll maybe like this.
Well maybe not.
Even reviewers who gave Come Clarity 8/10 gave A Sense of Purpose only 3/10.

Another question.
So all of the old albums are OK?
By this I mean albums like Lunar Strain or Jester Race?

And how about Production on those old albums?

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:14 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:

Well maybe not.
Even reviewers who gave Come Clarity 8/10 gave A Sense of Purpose only 3/10.

Another question.
So all of the old albums are OK?
By this I mean albums like Lunar Strain or Jester Race?

And how about Production on those old albums?
Maybe you're right. I only know that I bought the new CoB and In Flames the same day and that I like the first one more. There are some nice melodies and I suppose for what it is, A Sense of Purpose is good, but I think they even managed to turn some fans who like the new direction away with it.

And the old albums are, if you like Melodic Death Metal, great. And the production is also good.

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:23 pm

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQaBtUZA7c0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RQaBtUZA7c0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I agree with Stand Ablaze Rocking, I like the old stuff best. (Lunar strain -> Colony) New stuff I haven't listened to much yet.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:56 am

And the old albums are, if you like Melodic Death Metal, great
Well usually not that much but this thing sounds great.
There weren't so many bands in that genre I already listened to but maybe this is a new start.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:56 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
And the old albums are, if you like Melodic Death Metal, great
Well usually not that much but this thing sounds great.
There weren't so many bands in that genre I already listened to but maybe this is a new start.
Well, if you're really planing to check out some more Melodic Death Metal, I would also recommend At the Gates, early Dark Tranquility, Soilwork and early Arch Enemy.

Also:
IN FLAMES' 'Come Clarity' Named Best Swedish Album Of Past Decade - Dec. 28, 2009
The readers of Aftonbladet, the biggest newspaper in Sweden and Scandinavia, have named IN FLAMES' "Come Clarity" the best Swedish album of the past decade. The LP received 26 percent of all votes.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN's "Magic" was voted the best album of the past decade by a foreign artist.

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:56 pm

I would also recommend At the Gates, early Dark Tranquility, Soilwork and early Arch Enemy.
Familiar names I have to say.

Arch Enemy is the only one I can give a no to.
I have listened to it enough to say it is not my tye of music.

Dark Tranquility is OK I guess but I have to check it out again sometime just as Soilwork.
At the Gates however is perfectly new to me.

BUt I have such a lenghty list ahead of me and just 3 recommend me threads behind and many more to come.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:42 pm

At The Gates are considered to be the first Gothenburg-Style Melo Death Metal band.

Those 3 I've recommended are the most popular bands from Sweden.

You also can check out Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth (yes, I consioder them Melodic Death Metal), Nightrage (former band of Gus G. from Firewind) and Norther. And the first album from Sonic Syndicate (maybe also the later 2 if you like the emocore approach).

Florian

Post by Florian » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:58 am

All this Melo Death Metal is a pack of bullshit were noone can understand anything. To me, In Flames plays on the old albums a music quite near Helloween's or Gamma Ray's, but more brutal and with death vocals. That's all.

To go back to the question... I love The Jester Race, but I don't know the other albums (only a few songs).

mayhem-for-all

Post by mayhem-for-all » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:19 am

Ragehead91 wrote:At The Gates are considered to be the first Gothenburg-Style Melo Death Metal band.

Those 3 I've recommended are the most popular bands from Sweden.

You also can check out Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth (yes, I consioder them Melodic Death Metal), Nightrage (former band of Gus G. from Firewind) and Norther. And the first album from Sonic Syndicate (maybe also the later 2 if you like the emocore approach).
Kalmah
No
CoB
No no no
Amon Amarth
nah
Nightrage
Maybe I will check since both Firewind and Gus are awesome.
Norther
Maybe maybe.
if you like the emocore approach
ImageYou have something against my tastes?
Oh and so that nobody would get any wrong images of me I have no intrest towards the abovementioned genre.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:16 pm

mayhem-for-all wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:if you like the emocore approach
ImageYou have something against my tastes?
Nope. I just don't like Emocore and that some bands that used to release good stuff changed their music into this direction.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:57 am

Of what I have heard of their material;

Lunar strain & Subterranean

Very good stuff, but no Friden here yet.

The Jester Race

Very good album, haven't listened to it for ages (except that I have had Artefacts of the black rain for pretty long in my player), but it's very much worth getting.

Whoracle

I don't remember any songs except Jotun, but this album is very appreciated too.

Colony

This has many kickass songs, IMO better than TJR.

Clayman

Also has many very good, though not that melodeath anymore.
(Bullet ride is one of my favorite songs from them)

Reroute to remain

Haven't properly listened any songs from this album.

Soundtrack to your escape

My first album from them, The quiet place is one song I atleast personally like very much, and that made me interested in the band. Overally though the album is pretty weak.

A sense of purpose

Bland as they say, but if one has willpower the songs can be very nice, but not anything special, Alias and I'm the highway are pretty nice, I also used to like March to the shore for its power.

I'd recommend Colony and Subterranean, the newer albums if you find them at cheap price. :lol:

metal.robyn

Post by metal.robyn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:17 pm

In Flames is incredible, ive seen them live twice!!! I would recommend anything off of Whoracle and Colony...... their last two albums are not nearly as great; Come Clarity has one or two decent songs, nothing like their old stuff though. "Take this Life" is worth a listen. A sense of purpose was nothing amazing..... A really great song is from their Soundtrack to Escape album is "Touch of Red", soundtrack came out in 2004.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:46 pm

To be honest.. I think that Reroute to remain is the best album from In flames. Free fall is my favourite track.

MetalVixen

Post by MetalVixen » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Reroute to Remain is a great album, i would have to agree!
I kept hearing that metal is dead and Ozzy's dead and people that like Ozzy are dead. I have never had an empty seat. I've always sold out, so who's saying it's all over?
- Ozzy Osbourne