MEGADETH - David Ellefson is back!

Talk about everything else besides Stratovarius here in English. Please try to put more serious topics here, and silly topics in the Spam section.
Ragehead91
MEGADETH - David Ellefson is back!

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:51 pm

MEGADETH founder and frontman Dave Mustaine has announced the return of original bassist David Ellefson (1983-2002) to the iconic multi-platinum group. This reunion is appropriately timed to MEGADETH's upcoming historic month-long "Rust In Peace" 20th anniversary tour which launches March 1 in Spokane, WA. At these incredibly special shows, MEGADETH will play their landmark, genre-defining 1990 album "Rust In Peace" in its entirety, in addition to other MEGADETH favorites.

"This shows the power of brotherly love and forgiveness," Mustaine says. "David Ellefson belongs in MEGADETH. Next we are going to show you the power of getting your asses kicked...HARD!"

David Ellefson concurs: "This is a huge moment for all of us, band and fans alike. It is a great celebration of the music from one of the biggest landmark albums of our career."

Ellefson will join Mustaine and MEGADETH band members Shawn Drover (drums) and Chris Broderick (guitar) on tour in support of the group's current CD, "Endgame", which has received some of the highest critical accolades of the band's career.

"We'd like to thank James Lomenzo for several years of loyal service on the bass, and wish him the very best," Mustaine adds.

Ellefson filed suit against Mustaine in 2004, claiming, among other things, breach of fiduciary obligation, libel and emotional distress.
HOLY SHIT! I didn't saw that coming! :shock:

browneyedgirl

Re: MEGADETH - David Ellefson is back!

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:58 pm

That is very good news! DE is cool, and very talented. Glad that he and Mustaine seemingly resolved their problems. :bigok:

gon

Post by gon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Oh, wonderful! I like Lomenzo work, he played really hard and well, but Ellefson´s back is one of the best news Mustaine can ever have in his life.
SE EGOISTA Y HAZ FELIZ A LOS TUYOS SIENDO FELIZ TÚ.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Awesome! Dave Ellefson rules!
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:11 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Awesome! Dave Ellefson rules!
Even for a pick player? ;)

(just a joke that only a bassist or guitarist would understand, although I like him too.) :)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:35 pm

Hell yeah! Already got tickets to this tour! This is a really rare show for any megadeth fan! RIP in it's enterity is a real treat for me since it's one of favorite albums evar! I wonder what happened with J. Lo though? They just dumped him? No offense to broderick either cause he shreds, but maybe they can get friedman back on this tour tour too? :P *dreams*

gon

Post by gon » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:57 pm

would be great to see them again together.

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:03 pm

I wonder what will come out of this.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:09 pm

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Awesome! Dave Ellefson rules!
Even for a pick player? ;)

(just a joke that only a bassist or guitarist would understand, although I like him too.) :)
Nah, even the non musical folk should get that, IMO you can really hear the difference between pick and finger, and unless it's punk or a similar form, I'm highly preferential to finger

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:39 pm

I love the sound you can get with a pick, there's no way to replicate it with fingers. The fact that I am incapable of playing with a pick pains me.

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:56 pm

I don't know. I like their last 3 abums.

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:01 am

NeonVomit wrote:I love the sound you can get with a pick, there's no way to replicate it with fingers. The fact that I am incapable of playing with a pick pains me.
You're a good player, and I'm pretty sure that you could pick up on using a pick- if you had a bit of spare time.

The way I learned to use a pick was by learning all of the songs off of the old 16 track demos from the early '80s by the prog/metal Wizards. It is fairly complex music, but I stuck with it. Steve Babb (now with Glass Hammer) was surprised that I learned all of his bass and keyboard parts.

It just takes a little practice.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:35 am

Yeah... spare time is not something I'm overly blessed with now, what with juggling the band and law school :D I know it's just a matter of practise. I can do basic thumping along the roots stuff and whatnot, but that Lamb of God-esque super-riffing is far beyond me.

gon

Post by gon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:15 am

Will Ellefson last after the tour? ´ve read something about he´s only back for the RIP tour, leaving the band after that.

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:18 am

NeonVomit wrote:I love the sound you can get with a pick, there's no way to replicate it with fingers. The fact that I am incapable of playing with a pick pains me.
I consider myself to be a very capable fingerstyle player, I picked up Iron Maiden basslines quickly, I can hold 16th 160, but my fingers get tired quickly, and with one of my old bands, we were practicing in his garage during winter, so my fingers would get cold quick, picking came naturally to me, so I'd do it out of laziness. I prefer to play fingerstyle though.

Lately I've been working on my guitar playing more though.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:22 pm

gon wrote:Will Ellefson last after the tour? ´ve read something about he´s only back for the RIP tour, leaving the band after that.
Seems that he's back in the band properly.

gon

Post by gon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

Hope so. :wink:

Rage1979

Post by Rage1979 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:54 pm

i DISLIKE shows where they play the entire album.. I want surprises and songs in different order.

gon

Post by gon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:39 am

I have the same opinion. But since a few years ago, many bands are doing this, so I suppose it´s a kind of fashion.

DawnIsHere

Post by DawnIsHere » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:53 pm

It doesn't bother me if I love the album. I'd kill to see live entirely:
- Visions
- Land of the Free
- Avantasia pt. I

To name my 3 favorite albums.

RIP is still interesting though.
Wanna travel cool & cheap? Visit <url>here</url>

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:23 pm

Rage1979 wrote:i DISLIKE shows where they play the entire album.. I want surprises and songs in different order.
I agree with you & I love surprises too, principally when the bands that I love play some B sides too :)

gon

Post by gon » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:45 pm

I grew with that album, and when I saw them In Madrid in 1992 they played 4 songs ( half of the album).
I expect they will tour in Spain. :)

Fuuso

Post by Fuuso » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:02 am

That's awesome!! If they could just get Friedman and Menza back, too... :D

gon

Post by gon » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:10 am

The tour of the year, sure!

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:49 pm

Fuuso wrote:That's awesome!! If they could just get Friedman and Menza back, too... :D
Friedman is a great guitarist, but according to Mustaine, he was pushing to the direction that ended up in Risk. So Friedman can stay in Japan and do his weird Japanese game shows.

The current lineup is fine as it is.
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:28 pm

Shurik wrote:
Fuuso wrote:That's awesome!! If they could just get Friedman and Menza back, too... :D
Friedman is a great guitarist, but according to Mustaine, he was pushing to the direction that ended up in Risk. So Friedman can stay in Japan and do his weird Japanese game shows.

Nope. Mustaine openly attmited that with Risk he was desperatly trying to creat a No. 1 Album. I doubt that this was Friedmans fault.

gon

Post by gon » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Umm, both opinions are valid. Friedman wanted to to some different stuff, Mustaine wanted to explore new territories, as Metallica did with the Load era ( he admitted Ulrich told in public he wanted to know if Mustaine could create more open mind music).

Honestly the current line up is fine. Of course it would be great to see Friedman and Menza back, but, sincerely, do Megadeth need them now?

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:14 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
Shurik wrote:

Nope. Mustaine openly attmited that with Risk he was desperatly trying to creat a No. 1 Album. I doubt that this was Friedmans fault.
From what Wikipedia tells, this was a result of producer's meddling and a wish for a number one hits that backfired badly. But Mustaine also says this:
Marty quit to be a guitarist for a chick in Japan and play pop, he wears kimonos, and high-heel platform shoes now. I told him after 'Risk' that we had to go back to our roots and play metal and he quit.
From here:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... emID=33201

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:24 am

Shurik wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Shurik wrote:

From what Wikipedia tells, this was a result of producer's meddling and a wish for a number one hits that backfired badly. But Mustaine also says this:
Marty quit to be a guitarist for a chick in Japan and play pop, he wears kimonos, and high-heel platform shoes now. I told him after 'Risk' that we had to go back to our roots and play metal and he quit.
From here:
Quite frankly, Mustaine makes up a new story every day.

Shurik

Post by Shurik » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:31 am

Ragehead91 wrote:
Shurik wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
Shurik wrote:

From here:
Quite frankly, Mustaine makes up a new story every day.
The guy loves the sound of his own voice :lol:
On Get Thrashed documentary he said that he was responsible for most of the big thrash bands of the 80's or something to that effect. I'll try to find the exact quote ...