Bassists?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
stratobabius
Re: Bassists?

Post by stratobabius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:51 am

Well, this is what it says on the page: IBANEZ BTB405QM

You look like you really like Arias, no? :) I lke mine too very much. :D

EDIT: Btw, I haven't introduced anyone to "her",have I?
http://www.ariaguitars.com/int/03_produ ... pb_dx.html

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:41 am

stratobabius wrote: You look like you really like Arias, no? :) I lke mine too very much. :D
You have an Aria too? Which model is it?
Yes, I like their finger board and neck a lot. I have tried many basses in my life, but I have never found any more comfortable fingerboard than Aria's.
Maybe my fingers are just meant to live with Aria basses, who knows? :wink: :wink:
edit : ok, now I know which bass you're talking about I heard really positive feedback about it, considering its price and everything!
<b>This is wrong</b>

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:42 am

Haha, I forgot to say that before...Just look up. :)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:33 pm

cliff wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
stratobabius wrote:Ok, I think I'm sure about what I want.
http://www.musicorama.gr/eshop/images/m ... 001971.jpg

Well, it's surely better than my last one...I hope I can have that till next year (considering it's inexpensive, too) Better start saving...
I have the 6-string version of that. I can say it is truly an excellent instrument.
Is this a BTB 406 or 556 (or perhaps 506)? Can't see it clear on the pic!

@Neonvomit : wow. a BTB556! I heard it's an amazing bass, especially for the price! I have been thinking a lot about buying a BTB500 myself.
I think I'll finally fall for an Aria IGB, like this one : http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/b3/a6/fe_1.JPG
or perhaps that one : http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/c0/d3/21_1.JPG
Never been a fan of 5 or 6 strings basses...
I'm very happy with it. The sound itself is terriffic.

But then again, go with whatever you feel is best for you! Everyone's different...
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

cliff

Post by cliff » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:59 pm

NeonVomit wrote: But then again, go with whatever you feel is best for you! Everyone's different...
Indeed!
I finally made my purchase :
<b>This is wrong</b>

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:12 am

Anyone here ever bought, heard, seen, or played anything from Warrior Instruments? They specialize in high-end bass guitars, and can make them in 4,5,6,8, and even 12 string (!) configurations- fretted or my favorite, fretless.

All of their instruments are hand-made and are quite beautiful, albeit expensive. Warrior also makes some great guitars, although the basses are outstanding.

The factory is located here in my city, and was founded by an old friend, J.D. Lewis, a great bassist in his own right, back in 1993. Just last year, Jay turned down a multi-million dollar buyout offer from his old friend, Hartley Peavey (yes, that Mr. Peavey, heheh) from Peavey Electronics.
&#922;&#973;&#961;&#953;&#949; &#7952;&#955;&#941;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#957;

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:21 pm

Warrior instruments rock! I know a session player here who uses one, can't remember what it is exactly, I think it's a soldier model? Anyway, fantastic instruments, and there's something special about them... you can really tell the love that went into constructing it. Very rare thing in basses or instruments of any kind, in this day and age of mass-production. They're a proper company and not just a small independant shop (like Fodera or Ken Smith or anything), but you can still have your instrument made to your exact specifications, in every single way. They've won countless prizes for craftsmanship and innovation, the most memorable of those being back in 2001 (or was it 2002?) that they won an award at NAMM for a bass with an incredibly detailed inlay on the neck of the Archangel Michael casting down Lucifer, called simply 'Archangel'. I can't seem to find any pictures of it though, and they've recently re-designed their website to have annoyingly few photos on it :( I found a guitar version of it, but it's simply not the same...

They base their entire philosophy around religious ideals which means there's a certain purity to their work and buisiness that you don't often see in this industry, as you cited on Dran's refusal to be bought out by Peavey. True dedication to their art (and they see what they do as art).

Don't know if I'd ever get one though... if I did, it would be purely for studio buisiness. Those things are too pretty to charge around with on stage like I do my Ibanez! (I use a wireless...) Never mind the cost :shock:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:27 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4SzpNcoCII

Yeah here's a live video, where I'm using my new bass through my Gallien-Krueger head and Ashdown ABM cabinet. I have an Aphex Punch Factory compressor and Boss Limiter/Enhancer in the loop too, which helps give it a really crisp but warm sound.

What you guys think of the tone?

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:30 pm

NeonVomit wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4SzpNcoCII

Yeah here's a live video, where I'm using my new bass through my Gallien-Krueger head and Ashdown ABM cabinet. I have an Aphex Punch Factory compressor and Boss Limiter/Enhancer in the loop too, which helps give it a really crisp but warm sound.

sounds pretty cool!
Which bass model is this? Is this the BTB556?
<b>This is wrong</b>

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:02 pm

cliff wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4SzpNcoCII

sounds pretty cool!
Which bass model is this? Is this the BTB556?
Yup, 556 indeed. The Exelir strings have a nice crisp sound, although I need to change to a heavier gauge since we play a wholetone downtuned. Never get round to it though... and those 6-string sets are expensive :shock:

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:41 pm

NeonVomit wrote: Yup, 556 indeed. The Exelir strings have a nice crisp sound, although I need to change to a heavier gauge since we play a wholetone downtuned. Never get round to it though... and those 6-string sets are expensive :shock:
I guess you meant Elixir, right? ;-)
Yep, pretty expensive indeed (especially if you buy those 6-strings model).
Have you tried some models made by DR ?
I was told that those are really good for the price. They have those really famous Black Beauties (black strings), and also red, pink, blue.
Btw, why are Elixir strings worth to be bought, in your opinion ? I mean, is it coz the sound is fantastic or coz they keep their brightness a long time ?

I read somewhere that you can keep brightness of "regular" strings by putting them in alcohol for few hours.
<b>This is wrong</b>

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:08 pm

cliff wrote:
NeonVomit wrote: Yup, 556 indeed. The Exelir strings have a nice crisp sound, although I need to change to a heavier gauge since we play a wholetone downtuned. Never get round to it though... and those 6-string sets are expensive :shock:
I guess you meant Elixir, right? ;-)
Yep, pretty expensive indeed (especially if you buy those 6-strings model).
Have you tried some models made by DR ?
I was told that those are really good for the price. They have those really famous Black Beauties (black strings), and also red, pink, blue.
Btw, why are Elixir strings worth to be bought, in your opinion ? I mean, is it coz the sound is fantastic or coz they keep their brightness a long time ?

I read somewhere that you can keep brightness of "regular" strings by putting them in alcohol for few hours.
Exilir, yeah lol.

Dr are good too. I think it's worth spending a bit more on strings, but I only do it right before a big gig or recording.

Alcohol.. try boiling your strings in water for about 5 minutes. No, I'm not joking. Add a bit of vinegar to the water, and just boil all the grime and dirt out of them.

You can only get away with this for a while though. And make sure you dry them REALLY well afterwards!

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:47 pm

NeonVomit wrote: Alcohol.. try boiling your strings in water for about 5 minutes. No, I'm not joking. Add a bit of vinegar to the water, and just boil all the grime and dirt out of them.
You can only get away with this for a while though. And make sure you dry them REALLY well afterwards!
Indeed... I used to do the same and though it was a great cleaning method... until I read this : http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/boili ... rings.html

And the guy seems to know a lot about what he is writing about ;)

(great website btw, full of advices and tips, you should definitely check it!)
<b>This is wrong</b>

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:43 pm

cliff wrote:
NeonVomit wrote: Alcohol.. try boiling your strings in water for about 5 minutes. No, I'm not joking. Add a bit of vinegar to the water, and just boil all the grime and dirt out of them.
Indeed... I used to do the same and though it was a great cleaning method... until I read this : http://www.tunemybass.com/strings/boili ... rings.html

Yes, it's a good website. However, it's difficult to get your hands on that much pure alcohol here in England! Not so in Cyprus. But anyway, I really prefer new clean strings :D That's one thing I really hope for... to be endorsed by a string company, so I can have clean fresh sets every gig :D

(keep dreaming, NV).

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:13 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
cliff wrote:

Yes, it's a good website. However, it's difficult to get your hands on that much pure alcohol here in England! Not so in Cyprus. But anyway, I really prefer new clean strings :D That's one thing I really hope for... to be endorsed by a string company, so I can have clean fresh sets every gig :D

(keep dreaming, NV).
I used to boil my strings when I was younger, but the only problem there is once they go dead again, they are really flat sounding. Bassists and guitarists in my city did recently get a break though when Guitar Center opened. You could buy one set of Guitar Center's "house brand" strings at the regular price, and then get (11) sets for free. You can still get a price break buying strings in bulk though.

I usually use GHS Bass Boomers for practicing as they are less expensive, and then use the more expensive Rotosound's for live or recording work- I personally think that they are the best sounding strings. It also helps to wash your hands before playing too.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:15 pm

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:
cliff wrote:

(keep dreaming, NV).
I used to boil my strings when I was younger, but the only problem there is once they go dead again, they are really flat sounding. Bassists and guitarists in my city did recently get a break though when Guitar Center opened. You could buy one set of Guitar Center's "house brand" strings at the regular price, and then get (11) sets for free. You can still get a price break buying strings in bulk though.

I usually use GHS Bass Boomers for practicing as they are less expensive, and then use the more expensive Rotosound's for live or recording work- I personally think that they are the best sounding strings. It also helps to wash your hands before playing too.
Yeah, keeping hands clean helps, as well as wiping your strings down after playing. Keep a cloth in your case guys, it does make a difference!

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:14 pm

That's good if You have expensive strings, but with HB bass strings, it doesn't even matter. Soon I'll change the DR Black Beauties to my bass , they're coated strings with Elixir-like sound and they are as the name says whole black( allthought the colour doesn't stay there for eternity :roll: ) Anyways, boiling them works but nothing beats completely new set of strings. And the strings should be cleaned like everytime you start and stop playing so they won't collect any dit and other flunky things.
Aina ei pysty

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:39 pm

StratoFactor wrote:That's good if You have expensive strings, but with HB bass strings, it doesn't even matter. Soon I'll change the DR Black Beauties to my bass , they're coated strings with Elixir-like sound and they are as the name says whole black( allthought the colour doesn't stay there for eternity :roll: ) Anyways, boiling them works but nothing beats completely new set of strings. And the strings should be cleaned like everytime you start and stop playing so they won't collect any dit and other flunky things.
Yeah, I gave up doing that eventually on my old bass however. It was so filthy it wasn't worth it... I'm pretty sure the cure for AIDS is somewhere on the fretboard :shock:

I look after my new one though!

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:08 pm

My HB is a little suffered veteran, it's so filthy that you could probably cure the future forms of AIDS and other diseases with it as the bacteria on the bass renew themselves every five seconds (atleast that's how it feels when played :D)
Aina ei pysty

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:46 pm

Hmmmm, I guess the big bass question for the week is:

"Who will actually join David Loin Cloth and the Van Halen brothers on the upcoming summer 2007 tour? Will it be Wolfie, or will it be Mike Anthony?"

Food for thought...fer sure.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Actually, maybe the Elexir strings can be a good idea for a HB bass, if you also change the pickups. Good pickups (and then strings, then amps & effects) are a big part of sound in my opinion, the rest (neck, fingerboard, body...) is just a matter of confort and look!

Personally I bought a set of GHS Boomers. They are enough for my bass and for what I really need. I would be really interested in DR strings, but the thing is that I don't any black, red or blue strings, just regular ones. They have those Low Riders, High Beams, Marcus Miller and Bootsy Collins signatures, but I dunno anything about their use, if they are mostly for metal, rock, jazz...
Anyone tried some Ernie Balls strings ?

To keep my strings clear, I bought that product : http://www.thomann.de/fr/dunlop_formula65.htm
I tried it today for the first time... it doesn't look like it can clean anything!
Do you use some kind of products like this one ?

Oh, btw, does anybody know anything about wiring and bass pickups?

@miditek : maybe Michael Anthony? He is a really good bass player.
His Jack Daniels bass is a bit too much in my opinion!
(for those who dunno about it : http://www.classicvanhalen.com/images/m ... aniels.jpg)
<b>This is wrong</b>

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:01 pm

cliff wrote:Personally I bought a set of GHS Boomers. They are enough for my bass and for what I really need.

I think that the GHS Bass Boomers are the best overall value for the money. As I said earlier, I don't think anything sounds better that the Rotosound Swing Bass strings, but they are a bit pricey.
cliff wrote:Anyone tried some Ernie Balls strings ?

I use Ernie Ball (.009's, and sometimes .010's) for guitar, but have not used their bass strings before. Dean Markley bass strings are also okay.
cliff wrote:To keep my strings clear, I bought that product : http://www.thomann.de/fr/dunlop_formula65.htm
I tried it today for the first time... it doesn't look like it can clean anything!
Do you use some kind of products like this one ?

Have not seen that particular product before, but it looks like it's certainly worth a look. In my opinion, having good strings is as important as what guitar and amp that you use. I hate dead-sounding strings, particularly on the bass.
cliff wrote:Oh, btw, does anybody know anything about wiring and bass pickups?

Are you looking to upgrade your existing pickups?
cliff wrote:@miditek : maybe Michael Anthony? He is a really good bass player.
His Jack Daniels bass is a bit too much in my opinion!
(for those who dunno about it : http://www.classicvanhalen.com/images/m ... aniels.jpg)
Michael Anthony is a definitely a good player, and is also a really great backup singer. His vocal harmonies with Roth were a very prominent part of the original Van Halen albums. I saw VH during their prime on the Diver Down tour, and it was one of the rowdiest and most memorable shows I'd ever seem.

I think that the Jack Daniels bass was kind of a joke or tongue in cheek type of thing. There was a lot of humor in the band during the Roth era. No offense against EVH's kid, but they really need to have Mike back on board.

cliff

Post by cliff » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:50 am

miditek wrote:
cliff wrote:Oh, btw, does anybody know anything about wiring and bass pickups?

Are you looking to upgrade your existing pickups?
Actually... just fixing my existing pickups. The P-pickups of my new Aria Integra bass (bought that piece of crap on Ebay) stopped working suddenly.
it seems that it is one soldering joint who is deficient (not 100% sure), I'll ask one friend of mine who works with electronic components if he could do the iron soldering job for me. Hopefully, that will solve the pbm, coz I don't really feel like bringing the bass for a repair...
miditek wrote: Michael Anthony is a definitely a good player, and is also a really great backup singer. His vocal harmonies with Roth were a very prominent part of the original Van Halen albums. I saw VH during their prime on the Diver Down tour, and it was one of the rowdiest and most memorable shows I'd ever seem.
I think that the Jack Daniels bass was kind of a joke or tongue in cheek type of thing. There was a lot of humor in the band during the Roth era. No offense against EVH's kid, but they really need to have Mike back on board.
I like his playing a lot.
Not extremely technically-complicated, but really groovy and catchy, his bass parts are definitely the most important thing in Van Halen music in my opinion.
I saw a live show of Van Halen on TV, and I remember there was something really unique in Mike's playing, but I can't remember anything else. Does he jump and runs all the time while playing, or something like that?
I dunno if the Jack Daniels bass is a joke or not, but from what I noticed from pictures, the guy seems to enjoy strong alcohol a lot! :)
<b>This is wrong</b>

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:01 am

NeonVomit wrote:Warrior instruments rock! I know a session player here who uses one, can't remember what it is exactly, I think it's a soldier model? Anyway, fantastic instruments, and there's something special about them... you can really tell the love that went into constructing it. Very rare thing in basses or instruments of any kind, in this day and age of mass-production.

It's interesting that you have heard of them, and it is a good thing to see people take some pride in their work. That is something that I really respect in any industry.
NeonVomit wrote:They're a proper company and not just a small independant shop (like Fodera or Ken Smith or anything), but you can still have your instrument made to your exact specifications, in every single way. They've won countless prizes for craftsmanship and innovation, the most memorable of those being back in 2001 (or was it 2002?) that they won an award at NAMM for a bass with an incredibly detailed inlay on the neck of the Archangel Michael casting down Lucifer, called simply 'Archangel'. I can't seem to find any pictures of it though, and they've recently re-designed their website to have annoyingly few photos on it :( I found a guitar version of it, but it's simply not the same...

Jay (Dran) has definitely made a name for himself in the MI (Music Industry), and has had some of the best guitar techs and artists working with the company.

NeonVomit wrote:They base their entire philosophy around religious ideals which means there's a certain purity to their work and buisiness that you don't often see in this industry, as you cited on Dran's refusal to be bought out by Peavey. True dedication to their art (and they see what they do as art).

Jay had an epiphany many years ago in the late 1980's. His life was definitely not headed in the right direction at that time, and many of his friends (including myself) were wondering if he was even going to make it or not. I am delighted that he did get his life turned around, and has been successful in his business venture.

The Sound Post, a local music store, was his and his father's original business, which was later bought out by longtime sales manager and former Wyzards/Glass Hammer guitarist extraordinaire, David Carter.

Our families go back a long way. When Jack Lewis (Jay's father) was a teenager, he saved my mother's life. My grandparents were visiting with Jack's parents, and my mom was only five years old at the time, and she slipped off of a dock at the lake, and fell into deep water. Jack happened to be close by, and he dove into the water and rescued her. So I can say that I owe Jack not only for my mother's life, but my own as well!
NeonVomit wrote:Don't know if I'd ever get one though... if I did, it would be purely for studio buisiness. Those things are too pretty to charge around with on stage like I do my Ibanez! (I use a wireless...) Never mind the cost :shock:
I would probably have to agree with you on that one. The instruments are far too pretty (and expensive) to take out on the road, but would be much better suited for recording. I could always get by live with a Fender Jazz or sometimes a Rick-4001.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:25 am

miditek wrote: It's interesting that you have heard of them, and it is a good thing to see people take some pride in their work. That is something that I really respect in any industry.
Not that surprising that I've heard of them, if you think about it... any product of that calibre will definately get attention from everywhere!

Plus in my idle hours on the 'net I sometimes gaze longingly at gear I will probably not be able to afford for years to come, at the very least... so I'm pretty well clued-up on smaller companies!

Then I just remind myself that what I have now is adequate for what my current requirements are. At least there's nothing in my setup that I'm unhappy with, which is more than many people can ask for! (although I will probably have to upgrade my upright bass for my MA degree... it still makes me feel slightly ill trying to imagine where the cash will come from... anyone want to buy a kidney?)

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:35 pm

I played with a fretless Yamaha today. :D
It was very different from what I've tried so far and one thing I noticed was how easy it was to run across the fingerboard. It was pretty light too.
It was nice for a change, but the BTB awaits...

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:55 pm

stratobabius wrote:I played with a fretless Yamaha today. :D
It was very different from what I've tried so far and one thing I noticed was how easy it was to run across the fingerboard. It was pretty light too.
Which reminds me, I have never played a fretless bass. Sad. Should try some new basses but no musicshop and no money. :(
Aina ei pysty

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:10 pm

StratoFactor wrote:
stratobabius wrote:I played with a fretless Yamaha today. :D
Which reminds me, I have never played a fretless bass. Sad. Should try some new basses but no musicshop and no money. :(
I vastly prefer a fretless bass over a fretted one. I feel that the frets actually limit (particularly in the harmonic sense) what you can do. It did not take very long to get used to playing one.

I played a fretless Jazz for a long time, although I no longer have it, sadly. I also liked the Rick very much, but it was a fretted instrument, a different sound, and a different animal altogether.

You don't have to spend a fortune on a fretless though. Lots of people are making them now. :) I just saw a blue 5-string fretless (probably a no-name brand) on e-Bay for about $100.00 USD.

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:13 pm

Q. I have a question for bassists on the forum that I hope you may find to be of interest. Do you use a bass as your primary instrument to compose on, or do you use other instruments as well?

miditek

Post by miditek » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:25 pm

miditek wrote:Q. I have a question for bassists on the forum that I hope you may find to be of interest. Do you use a bass as your primary instrument to compose on, or do you use other instruments as well?
A. My own response, to my own question. :lol:

I compose on various instruments, but primarily keyboards first. I have a rack of Korg, E-MU, and Roland samplers and synths, so I'll typically go with them first. I like to also program drum tracks as I go, to go along with the music. It's comical to see my pounding out drum parts on a keyboard against a click! ;)

Sometimes, I'll replace them with a real drummer, and sometimes I won't, and other times it is a composite of MIDI drums and real drums.

Sometimes, the lines get blurred as I go to great lengths to make the MIDI drums sound like a drummer. I also have been known to compose bass lines with my left hand on the synth first, and then replace it with bass guitar later on. There are many ways to do this.

The exception that I have to this rule is for riffs. I don't consider a riff to be a song, but songs can certainly come out of riffs. In this case, I'll actually use a bass, or more often a guitar, for writing riffs that may eventually become a song. No rules, just whatever instrument sounds right to begin building the song.