Gibson announces new self-tuning guitar

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
miditek
Gibson announces new self-tuning guitar

Post by miditek » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Gibson shows new self-tuning guitar
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Dec03/ ... ar,00.html

Will this put roadies out of business? Not just yet, this new product cannot:

a) Change the strings
b) Set the action and harmonics
c) Carry itself
d) Tell jokes
d) Drink with you

Still a cool product though.... 8)
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Mormegil

Re: Gibson announces new self-tuning guitar

Post by Mormegil » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:01 pm

Funny, I've been wondering for a long time when someone will invent that. :P
Would be a great thing to own. I hate tuning guitar.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:01 pm

Fuck Gibson. I've never seen a company so obsessed with gouging its customers on useless "upgrades" and features. The technology isn't even innovative: there have been dedicated tuner-machines before that "automatically" bring strings to pitch...until they zip right past the note it was supposed to be tuned to and break the string.

But okay, let's look at one aspect of the technology that is actually worth noting: there are presets for different tunings. Fantastic, if you regularly switch between DADGAD, Open tunings, Standard, double-drop D, etc. But keep in mind that you're now going to have to use a string gauge that won't cause too much stress on the neck but still stays in tune with slack tunings...I'd LOVE to see the look on the face of someone who uses 9's all of a sudden try to play in Open D or Open G and find their strings intonate like shit because they're now the equivalent of steel rubber bands.

Aside from that, what Gibson is essentially doing is using an "analog" system to solve a "digital" problem. Fender's VG Strat system digitally reproduces various tunings without changing the tension on the strings. What this all means is that Fender used innovative methods to potentially solve a perceived problem, while Gibson comes to the table (late) with their fucked-up, overcomplicated attempt. Ever wonder why vintage Gibson amps are not held in anywhere near as high regard as Fender amps? Because Gibson overcomplicated the circuitry and made stupid design decisions ("Well, 12AX7s are cheap, plentiful, dependable, and therefore the most widely used pre-amp tube in the world...let's use 6EU7s and 6N7s just to fuck with people! And let's add all kinds of unnecessary biasing circuitry!"). [I will admit that vintage Gibson amps are fairly easy to mod to sound very good, but it should be noted that this is done by "de-cluttering" the preamp circuitry and rewiring the heaters to run with 12AX7s].

The quality control at the company is fucking bullshit. My friend's Les Paul has a ring of glue outside the logo on the headstock. He doesn't mind only because he bought the guitar used, and Gibson Musical Instruments does not get his money. If you're going to charge 2,300 euro for an instrument, you better be goddamn sure that there's not simple cosmetic issues like a GIANT RING OF GLUE around the headstock decal.

A plain old LP Junior (I'm talking new here, not vintage models) retails for $1,168USD (streets for $750). The Billie Joe Armstrong Signature model retails for $2,169 (streets for $1470). So what is the upgrade for all of that money? The Signature model has reverse-wound wire around the P-90 pickup (effectively making it hum-canceling) while the regular model is a true single coil pickup. Fine, add like $40 bucks to the cost. Also, the Signature comes with a case. Fine add $250 (for a top of the line case, too). Basically what this means is that you're paying for the name of the guy from Green Day on the receipt rather than for any useful features. Add to this the "shell game" that Gibson plays with naming it's fucking models and you have a company that can more or less get fucked, as far as I'm concerned.

All this, and I'm not even mentioning the electrical engineering problems with this whole system.

Fuck Gibson, fuck their price-gouging, and fuck their disdain for the consumer. The only way I would buy a Gibson is if it were a used instrument.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:18 am

NeonVomit wrote:Fuck Gibson. I've never seen a company so obsessed with gouging its customers on useless "upgrades" and features. The technology isn't even innovative: there have been dedicated tuner-machines before that "automatically" bring strings to pitch...until they zip right past the note it was supposed to be tuned to and break the string.et., al

Well, there are some automotive, cell phone & software companies (that I won't mention) that are also good at screwing their customers. However, I probably would not buy a new Gibson, either. The instruments that were made in Kalamazoo, MI are still highly sought after, even today.

I sort of like "novelty" upgrades. Gibson is now offering a Les Paul that even has fucking Ethernet port in it, of all things.
NeonVomit wrote:But okay, let's look at one aspect of the technology that is actually worth noting: there are presets for different tunings. Fantastic, if you regularly switch between DADGAD, Open tunings, Standard, double-drop D, etc. But keep in mind that you're now going to have to use a string gauge that won't cause too much stress on the neck but still stays in tune with slack tunings...I'd LOVE to see the look on the face of someone who uses 9's all of a sudden try to play in Open D or Open G and find their strings intonate like shit because they're now the equivalent of steel rubber bands.
Yes- that is an interesting technology. I used a Roland VG-8 guitar system for a while (and may get another one), and one thing that I liked about it was that certain presets actually did change the tuning- via the GK2 pickup, I assume. That way, you wouldn't have to keep changing instruments for alternate tunings. Also, the VG-8 also had some fairly respectable bass presets, such as Rick-4001 that was not too bad. I realize that the Roland COSM stuff is a bit different that the Gibson approach, but it is still pretty cool.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Yeah I guess I was a bit too aggressive, I was having a bad day when I wrote that :D

But yeah. I really don't like Gibson as a company. They are the ultimate corporate whores of the music gear industry. The way I see it, if you want something like that, get a Paul Reed Smith.

Given the choice between Gibson and Fender, I'd go Fender every single time.

They definately make better basses (that actually balance!) :D

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:12 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Yeah I guess I was a bit too aggressive, I was having a bad day when I wrote that :D

We all have them, so no worries. Besides, it's almost Christmas! :D
NeonVomit wrote:But yeah. I really don't like Gibson as a company. They are the ultimate corporate whores of the music gear industry. The way I see it, if you want something like that, get a Paul Reed Smith.

There are a lot of companies out there that can be both capricious and annoying. I used to work in music retail when I was much younger, and the manufacturer's reps always seemed like that they were doing us a favor, rather than the other way around. Roland had good people, as did Korg/Marshall.
NeonVomit wrote:Given the choice between Gibson and Fender, I'd go Fender every single time. They definitely make better basses (that actually balance!) :D
Hahahahaha! I can't argue with that. My friend Chuck used to play a Gibson Ripper, and that thing was about as graceful as the front door of my house. :lol: It's a good thing that he was a great player.
I think you're right about Fender v. Gibson as far as basses go. As for myself, I used to play a G&L (made by Leo Fender) 4-string, and it was a great instrument.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:46 am

miditek wrote: I think you're right about Fender v. Gibson as far as basses go. As for myself, I used to play a G&L (made by Leo Fender) 4-string, and it was a great instrument.
I've actually been thinking about getting myself a Jazz bass at some point. Would a G&L be a better deal than a Fender?

miditek

Post by miditek » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:21 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
miditek wrote: I think you're right about Fender v. Gibson as far as basses go. As for myself, I used to play a G&L (made by Leo Fender) 4-string, and it was a great instrument.
I've actually been thinking about getting myself a Jazz bass at some point. Would a G&L be a better deal than a Fender?
I think that G&L instruments are a great deal overall, and that they sound and play great. But I'd recommend that you use your ears and fingers, rather than your wallet, to determine which instrument is better for you. :D

One other instrument that I played for a while was a fretless Jazz bass, and I have to say that I absolutely loved it! That may be an instrument that you might consider, since you are already used to playing an upright bass, right? So staying in tune should not be a problem for you. Besides, a fretless electric is probably more fun than should be allowed by the law. :lol:
Κύριε ἐλέησον

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:07 am

I have a self-tuning synth! it's great it can tune up several octaves with the push of a button! let's se gibson do that! :lol: