does Metal get radioplay in your country?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
dragunov
does Metal get radioplay in your country?

Post by dragunov » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:26 am

hey all.

does metal music get any radio play in your country? and to what extent? are there metal-only radio channels or programs, or is it played only occasionally?

I'm just wondering... metal gets prety much no airtime where I live (in Canada).

but I actually listen to jazz on the radio. 8)

cheers,
D

Kosmo

Re: does Metal get radioplay in your country?

Post by Kosmo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:40 am

Metal is unheard of in Finland. :(

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:52 am

Kosmo wrote:Metal is unheard of in Finland. :(
fuck is that right?? but I heard of metal charts and stuff like billboard in finland...and I used to think that in any corner of finland there is a metal band that kick serious ass!! (ok I love finland)

now the question, here in venezuela there is a certain radio play to rock bands, and when I mean rock I just Include, cool looking bands that made music with distorted guitars but are not so loud so people who likes others kind of music dont freak out (so death metal, doom, and all this Xtreme scene get out!!) I have a band and we did got some play in radio but little.

and there is of course the bussiness, the money!! there is no such a thing like record labes here, so everybody is pretty much indie. being aware of that radios started to make deals with bands, for an undisclosed amount of money with give you a certain numbers of spins to your single so you get to the most listen song and try to get gigs.

and there you have it a glimpse of the music bussines. :x
A9

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Yeah i was being sarcrastic. :wink: Metal is pretty much everywhere here, part of the ''mainstream''. But that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be any underground metal bands, not at all. Plenty of those.

And to answer to the guestion..Hip hop and pop is certainly getting bigger here, but when you listen to the most famous finnish radio stations you can either hear Flo Rida, Katy Perry or Nightwish so it is pretty interesting. 8)

adrian9

Post by adrian9 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Kosmo wrote:Yeah i was being sarcrastic. :wink: Metal is pretty much everywhere here, part of the ''mainstream''. But that doesn't mean that there wouldn't be any underground metal bands, not at all. Plenty of those.
fuck man I was totally shocked! dont joke with that!
A9

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm just not in the mood for this kind of bullshit.

:lol:

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:01 am

I heard Once once in a pop-ish station, Run To The Hills once in a classic rock station... Sad...

Susie

Post by Susie » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:04 am

Here in Venezuela... No, not at all! And when they do haha mostly shitty or TACKY bands over here :lol:

I respect 2 or 3... the rest can s*** it! :facial:

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:38 am

no.

Internet Radio For the Fucking win! :)

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 pm

In the radio, not so much (I once found a frequency with a program dedicated to metal, but it dissappeared out of the blue), and in TV there are few programs dedicated to metal: Two in VH1 titled "Heavy Mental" (mostly with 80's bands) and "That Metal Show" (you should know it), and a third one in CM (a local music channel) called "MTL" (with lots of thrash metal videos and interviews with local bands)
|StratoFan Forever|

JezzeZ

Post by JezzeZ » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:25 pm

In Finland there are Radio Rock, Radio 957 and Voice 100% Rock, they play both rock and metal songs.
JezzeZ a.k.a. CheatUrHead a.k.a. JezzeJezus a.k.a. Tukkajumala a.k.a. Liehuletti a.k.a. Hashis...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:48 pm

Direct TV saved my life, I've found an audio channel fully dedicated to Heavy Metal :headbang:
|StratoFan Forever|

Michael Jordan

Post by Michael Jordan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:06 pm

Whzat? You must have some magical south american channel! All the ones I have seen are boring shit during the day and some good music late at night!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Sure I do :D! Channel 914, I'm actually listening to "Dog Like Vultures - Haste The Day" (no idea who they are, but I don't care =P)
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:16 am

Here in the states the unfortunate thing is the only metal that gets airplay is Screamo or grunting metal.

Kick ass bands like Stratovarius don't get any airplay whatsoever, unfortunately most people over here seem more interested in either incoherent screaming or what the hell Britney Spears is up to.

My home needs to learn of the greatness of Melodic Metal and not be spoon fed pop or emo music. :x
metal feeds the beast

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:00 am

HIRO, they need that music. Don't you see? How else are guys going to get laid? You know, guy listens to band. Guy makes band that sounds just like that band. Guy gets girls. Guy procreates. His job is DONE! Now the process repeats!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:11 pm

In the UK, gets a fair bit as you might imagine.

In Cyprus, there's a couple of radio shows that do stuff like that but strictly in the minority.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

hiro23 wrote:Kick ass bands like Stratovarius don't get any airplay whatsoever...
It's really sad but Stratovarius only gets radioplay in countries from the procedence of Finland and its surroundings :?
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:30 am

Robocop656:I'm not saying that these bands don't have their place, I'm just saying that it's frustrating that it's the only thing radio stations want to play.

Neonvomit:The UK is pretty cool, hopefully I can visit there one day.

ggonza43:It is really sad cause I am positive that if they were to get airplay all over the world they would be one of the BIGGEST bands in the world,I mean I consider them that in my own way however every time I try to mention them to someone most of the time they always say "Stratowho?"
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:20 pm

Or like: "Hey have you heard of Stratovarius?" - "Wasn't that a kind of violin?" - "No, Stratovarius" - "Won't you mean Stratocaster?" - "NO! Stratovarius!" - "Strato what?" - "Ah, nevermind"

After that, I always quit :buh:
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:25 am

I get those too however most of the time I get "are they a band?" "my sister plays one" or my all time favorite "is that a comic book?" :lol:
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:45 pm

hiro23 wrote:..."is that a comic book?" :lol:
Well they sure have a comic book-ish name :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:40 am

Although in their defense I would have thought it was a comic book if I didn't know who they were
metal feeds the beast

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:15 am

I hate where the metal culture has went in Finland. Yes, in radio, there is NO metal at all. One channel with classisc rock only and one channel with new rock and some VERY famous old rock names (Metallica, Iron Maiden etc.). Luckily, on 20.00 on Thursdays, there is 2 hours straight only the most intense metal. Black, death, doom and some thrash too unfortunately =D.

Anyhow, I can't get it, it has been said that my country is promised land of metal. Yes, I totally agree, most of my favourite bands are Finnish. But still, media praises some mainstreamish metal bands like CoB, Nightwish or Apocalyptitca that are not my favourites at all. Too bad, because they steal all the glory that belongs to actual good bands like Wintersun, Kalmah, Tears of Eternal Sorrow, Alghazanth, Norther, Ensiferum and so on...

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:17 am

JezzeZ wrote:In Finland there are Radio Rock, Radio 957 and Voice 100% Rock, they play both rock and metal songs.
It's sad that those are the best channels of Finland when we know that only good music is played in Radio Rock's "Torstain Terävämmät".

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:50 am

At least you've got a radio frequency that still have place for real music. All the things you get here is that stupid reggaeton :?
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:27 am

Same here in the states, most of our "so called" metal stations only play either well known bands or stupid emo bands
metal feeds the beast

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah about US i can believe you got some radio station that play hard rock shit like slipknot or korn or something else american wannabe metal music. :D

Would be cool if somebody would actually found a radio station that would play only genres from power metal, melodic death metal, symphonic black metal to heaviest doom/death/black. Pretty much only music that has either or both: double bass and harsh vocals. And no thrash metal! :). It would be my channel.

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:05 pm

HAHAH. Ok buddy. Nobody even listens to the radio here in the US. The US would fall into the great depression again(ugh, better analogy...WW3, yeah) before stations play "only genres from power metal, melodic death metal, symphonic black metal to heaviest doom/death/black". There is metal played on SIRIUS satellite radio. You have to pay a subscription for that. I did it before. It is boring repetitive shit they play during the day everyday. Same songs. Later during the day they play other stuff. The DJs try too hard to try to be "METAL". Late at night they play all "DEATH METAL" and "THRASH METAL". You are trying to tell me you don't listen to STONE? You make me cry.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWoZJXErxfI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DWoZJXErxfI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CES

Post by CES » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:54 pm

Tarhaea wrote:Yeah about US i can believe you got some radio station that play hard rock shit like slipknot or korn or something else american wannabe metal music. :D

Would be cool if somebody would actually found a radio station that would play only genres from power metal, melodic death metal, symphonic black metal to heaviest doom/death/black. Pretty much only music that has either or both: double bass and harsh vocals. And no thrash metal! :). It would be my channel.
Pick some subgenres of Metal that have good commerical and sales appeal instead of fringe genres and you'll get your radio station. Why should a radio broadcaster fund a station based around some of the most abrasive parts of Metal (barring PM, which is just not to be taken seriously) ever composed when 95% of the prospective listeners will think "What the fuck is this? Is this even music?" (short answer: Yes. Long answer: Yes. Fuck off.)

Now in the UK there's a radio station that has a Metal programme on every monday night without fail. Bands like Mastodon, Bodom (though only ever AYDY, fuck that), Arch Enemy, Amon Amarth and even once in a while Blind Guardian appear on the show but it's a late night show and in support of a metal publication in the country. The station usually plays a blend of classic rock, AOR, commerical Heavy Metal and a whole heap of Prog.