does Metal get radioplay in your country?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
ggonza43
Re: does Metal get radioplay in your country?

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 pm

We have to admit there's no such radio station that can play such a broaden genre like metal is :)
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:57 am

But then again I think that's why there is an appeal for metal to a lot of fans because it isn't a popular genre, I mean seriously if metal was as popular as pop music would we think of it in the same way?
metal feeds the beast

Tarhaea

Post by Tarhaea » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:52 am

hehe, reason i don't prefer thrash metal is because i don't like the "tough" atmosphere on them and are usually less melodic than bands i like. Yes Stone is good example for band i dislike a bit. Although it doesn't change the fact they deserve to be heard also even though i don't like them.

I like many rather unknown bands and my point in the post was pretty much to express what type of bands i would want to find by listening radio. Anyways usually forgotten fact is putting music into different categories is pretty much in vain and usually the best music is almost impossible to categorize to any single genre (like Wintersun :) ), atleast to any sub-genre. Here is couple of, could i now dare to say some sort of BM bands i like (again, impossible to categorize):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiTTUqod0d0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkfk1Co1KF8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xn3BnYaFSk (well, not that unknown, but had to pick coz its so epic :D )

I hope someone else likes same type of music since im up to finding more non-traditional black metal that has more melodic parts and are less brutal. Or even better, are brutal and got awesome atmosphere at the same time!

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:31 pm

hiro23 wrote:But then again I think that's why there is an appeal for metal to a lot of fans because it isn't a popular genre, I mean seriously if metal was as popular as pop music would we think of it in the same way?
If metal was like pop, it wouldn't be metal :headbang:!
|StratoFan Forever|

CES

Post by CES » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:03 am

hiro23 wrote:But then again I think that's why there is an appeal for metal to a lot of fans because it isn't a popular genre, I mean seriously if metal was as popular as pop music would we think of it in the same way?
Forgive me for stepping onto a soapbox here. Metal is an obscenely popular genre, even in the mainstream. The misleading part I think stems from some of the best selling bands being hit with the "that's not true metal/they're not a metal band" stick (such a pathetic argument, really) mixed with the extremely strong counter-culture rhetoric of early Metal pioneers. The supreme irony of that being that Metal is a culture all its own, with dress codes and cliques these days.

ggonza43 wrote: If metal was like pop, it wouldn't be metal :headbang:!
You mean the most palatable Metal isn't composed of catchy hooks (riffs) and memorable vocals mixed in with a beat that you can't resist bopping (headbanging) to? They may sound different but ultimately, the goal is the same: Get people fixated on the band and sell CD's and merch. Pop just has less shame about it.

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:23 am

I mean in the way how pop is massified everywhere, while metal is still a kind of "under" genre. I'm happy by how metal is still an "unknown" genre within the world; that's why people like it, because it's different to what you are used to listen wherever you go
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 am

I base it on this, every time I say to someone that I am a fan of metal I almost always get the "oh your one of them" look and then they start talking to me as if I'm some kind of thug.

Yes thousands upon thousands of people listen to metal, but that doesn't mean it's an accepted genre.

Pop is considered an accepted genre and if you say your a pop fan more people accept you.
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:44 am

If you look at me, you wouldn't think such thing :lol:. But you're right, people think that if you listen to metal you like screamings and brutal guitar riffs that nobody can understand...And not that they aren't right, because sometimes I'm in the mood for that, but they don't understand metal can be a happy, uplifting music that can help you in your life. Maybe the think because the genre is labeled like "heavy metal", the music must be heavy as a metal 8)
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 am

Actually if you want to know people's mindset who aren't into metal and what they think of us well one American paper put it best "it's moronic music for moronic people"

That may not be the exact quote but it's close enough, so in other words unless you understand or like metal they tend to think your stupid, at least that is the impression I got.
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:03 am

...And yet very smart guys like metal: Jim Carrey for example at the top of my head
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:51 pm

Very true but unfortunately most of the people who tend to run these newspapers have never heard metal in their life and they simply base their opinion on what they've heard ignorant people say about it
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:58 pm

True: Today I had this "show & tell" thing at my job, and I was talking about concerts I've attended (of course, I had my tickets to prove it), and then it was this silly girl saying "Wow! You don't look like a guy who can handle such heavy music". I was about to punch her no matter she was a woman :lol:
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:55 am

That also is something that pisses me off, it's as if you have to have a certain look to be a metal fan, I mean I'm sorry but since when did being a music fan conform me to a fashion code?

Now I will admit that most of my wardrobe is black but that's because I've loved that color since I was 5 it's not because I'm following trends or I think it's cool.

I always did hate how some people just seem to think that a certain image has to go with a certain kind of music, I say you should do what you feel is right, who cares what some "so called" music critic says.

One thing most of us know to be true is that the critics who usually are of this opinion are usually failed musicians who couldn't make it and thus have decided that all other bands suck.
metal feeds the beast

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 pm

This thread makes me think of the childhood phrase: WHY DON'T YOU LIKE WHAT I LIKE?!?!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:29 am

unfortunately that seems to be how it is in life, people tend to get angry at those who disagree with them.

personally I always liked good discussions about one's views however that doesn't seem to be the case with everyone.
metal feeds the beast

JezzeZ

Post by JezzeZ » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Tarhaea wrote:
JezzeZ wrote:In Finland there are Radio Rock, Radio 957 and Voice 100% Rock, they play both rock and metal songs.
It's sad that those are the best channels of Finland when we know that only good music is played in Radio Rock's "Torstain Terävämmät".
Amen to that.
JezzeZ a.k.a. CheatUrHead a.k.a. JezzeJezus a.k.a. Tukkajumala a.k.a. Liehuletti a.k.a. Hashis...

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:12 pm

hiro23 wrote:unfortunately that seems to be how it is in life, people tend to get angry at those who disagree with them.

personally I always liked good discussions about one's views however that doesn't seem to be the case with everyone.
I always say that if you don't know what the others are talking about, shut the fuck up :D!
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:01 pm

ggonza43 wrote:
hiro23 wrote:unfortunately that seems to be how it is in life, people tend to get angry at those who disagree with them.

I always say that if you don't know what the others are talking about, shut the fuck up :D!
That is true, however in this case it's not about knowing what the subject is about, it's about disagreeing
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Or in a more specific way, about pre-judging somebody, which I totally hate
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:00 am

and here I thought we were friends :lol:
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 am

We can start a whole new thread with that if you want to ;)
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:55 am

Nah, I'm afraid it would only get a few posts in it then end up in the post graveyard.
metal feeds the beast

HinatAArcticA

Post by HinatAArcticA » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Mexican radio usually sucks. Either they are playing songs from mexican random pop bands that I hate... and if it's not that, it's all about soccer, the mexican national soccer team, and a team called "América". Or, the news, where everyday it's the same: "Bla bla they killed someone again bla bla, everything sucks bla bla all news are about death and negative crap bla bla"

There used to be decent radio stations for rock back in the 90's... or so I've been told, I was like 8 years old back then. But never metal. Sometimes I wished they talked about many things about metal with more detail.

Like when Strato was releasing Polaris, and everyone was so exited about their comeback... here, nobody would say a word D:

Thank God for the internets :lol:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:07 pm

Long time no see Hinata

And you are right, one thing that seems universal is the fact that it seems like every country wants to cater to the pop crowd.
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:29 pm

hiro23 wrote:And you are right, one thing that seems universal is the fact that it seems like every country wants to cater to the pop crowd.
Because that's what sells people
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:14 am

It's what sells because it goes down easier, pop is sugar coated so people accept it more, pop can get away with talking about adultery,drugs,sex and murder because they present it in a way that's friendly to the ear.

Where as with Metal it's something strictly honest and as we know the media doesn't like it when people are honest.
metal feeds the beast

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:45 am

Media people live in wonderland...Until you finally found out =P
|StratoFan Forever|

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:42 am

Well your getting into my rant area but I believe the media wants to keep the public ignorant of what is really going on.

You see they champion something that's bad saying it's good, telling people that someone just being honest is someone spreading lies and distrust.

They want to show this image of the perfect world when in fact any logical human being knows that happiness comes in small doses and life isn't always good to you and you have to make the best of what you have, however the media doesn't want to show us that.

Nope they want to show us that everyone in the world should be like Britney Spears or Paris Hilton, just the thought of that sends shivers down my spine.
metal feeds the beast

robocop656

Post by robocop656 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:28 am

AHH!

ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ

Post by ÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖÖ » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:51 am

Of course! Why has noone discovered that before. :x :x