Tolkki vs. Romeo

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
aoye
Re: Tolkki vs. Romeo

Post by aoye » Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:31 pm

Apparently not, though I have to admit I haven't heard any of their earlier work and according to reviews I've read Allens voice was harsher on The Odyssey than on other albuns, which I usually dislike.

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:56 am

Both my favorite guitar players along with Malmsteen. Tolkki himself said that Romeo is better than him (I think on Tolkki's forum). I agree, but must say that Tolkki is awesome!!! A lot of his solos are very hard to play and I think more emotional than Romeo's solos. What I love mostly about Romeo's playing is the mad technique he has and the way he incorporates everything together to achieve master guitar work. He created some extremely cool sounds on the guitar. I hate to compare them because they are both the best to me (along with Malmsteen).
In the Name of Shred!!!

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:21 am

CVAT tels it all--Tolkki is still the best in MY eyes!!:) ;)

My son has a new idol-MALMSTEEN!!!!:(

Well, he(YM) does have nice hair!:)
And,he's a Big Guy, too--so he can't be all bad!!!:lol:
KIDDING!:D
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:28 am

Your son found what he's been looking for. Yngwie is one of a kind, can't compare to anyone when it comes to being one with the instrument. :D

cYberkYller

Post by cYberkYller » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:15 am

This post? Again? Once guitarist like these are at this point, they don't compete, they make choice, Do someone knows what he's talking about here?
ImageImage

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:47 am

I love to PLAY GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One day I will be "THE BEST."
In the Name of Shred!!!

browneyedgirl

Re: Re: Tolkki vs. Romeo

Post by browneyedgirl » Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:57 am

Holy Light wrote:
I love to PLAY GUITAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

With that optimistic attitude, I am sure you will be. :D Just keep practicing every day,increasing the complexity of your lessons, and you will do fine.:)
You may not be in a Grammy-winning rock band,but, hey,--your kids one day will worship the ground you walk on! And,you could always make a good living playing at weddings, and parties.
Plus, take my word for it, women love musicians--there is just something sexy&mysterious about a guy who can play his own instrument...;)
Serenade a girl someday,and you will see--she will be putty in your hands. ;) You can trust me on that, too! :)

Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

robertodn

Post by robertodn » Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:28 am

you cant mix romeo with tolkki, they are both 100% different styles of music
Go ahead stratovarius!

Special Ed

Post by Special Ed » Sat Jan 31, 2004 3:14 pm

Tony MacAlpine is best!!!!Image

Even Steve Vai will have hard times with this guy.

If u wanna hear amazing playing from 80´s to nowadays, check him out, if u haven´t already.

Recommented!!!!
YAY, YAY, YAYYY!!

MAJINDIEGO

Post by MAJINDIEGO » Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:04 am

Romeo is definatelly better, technically speaking...but it's different styles anyway...you see...Jorg Michael is a great drummer, but he doesn't show it because the musicmaker doesn't want to explore his full skills...maybe Tolkki also doesn't want to show off...like Malmsteen, who seems to think: I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO SEE HOW FAST I CAN PLAY....
By the grace of God Almighty,
And the pressures of the marketplace
The human race have civilized itself...
...it´s a miracle.

Holy Light

Re: Re: Re: Tolkki vs. Romeo

Post by Holy Light » Mon Feb 02, 2004 1:12 am

browneyedgirl wrote:
Holy Light wrote:

With that optimistic attitude, I am sure you will be. :D Just keep practicing every day,increasing the complexity of your lessons, and you will do fine.:)
You may not be in a Grammy-winning rock band,but, hey,--your kids one day will worship the ground you walk on! And,you could always make a good living playing at weddings, and parties.
Plus, take my word for it, women love musicians--there is just something sexy&mysterious about a guy who can play his own instrument...;)
Serenade a girl someday,and you will see--she will be putty in your hands. ;) You can trust me on that, too! :)

Thanks. I have just just auditioned for a great band (I must keep who it is on a low). I hope that I get in, but can't get set on thinking I will. If I got into this band I would have a great start to a music career ahead of myself. I will one day be of the best, you can count on that. ;)
In the Name of Shred!!!

browneyedgirl

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tolkki vs. Romeo

Post by browneyedgirl » Mon Feb 02, 2004 6:13 am

Holy Light wrote:
browneyedgirl wrote:
Holy Light wrote:

Thanks. I have just just auditioned for a great band (I must keep who it is on a low). I hope that I get in, but can't get set on thinking I will. If I got into this band I would have a great start to a music career ahead of myself. I will one day be of the best, you can count on that. ;)
Well, good luck--one day you may be the next Timo Tolkki, with all the benefits to go with it(wine, women&song)!!;) =P :evilgrin:

vojto

Post by vojto » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:26 am

I agree with you!!! Michael Romeo is one of the best guitarists on this fucking planet... I listen to their music from the start and I like them a lot. He is much better than Timo Tolkki. He has real great "feeling" and his riffs are great too... I like Timo a lot, but Michael rules!!! 8)

vojto

Post by vojto » Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:31 pm

I agree with you!!! Michael Romeo is one of the best guitarists on this fucking planet... I listen to their music from the start and I like them a lot. He is much better than Timo Tolkki. He has real great "feeling" and his riffs are great too... I like Timo a lot, but Michael rules!!! 8) What do you think about Richie Sambora...? He is my favourite guitarist.

Fight4Freedom

Post by Fight4Freedom » Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:27 pm

Romeo is definitely more technical than Tolkki, but they are both amazing players. Yngwie has incredible speed and accuracy, and he's been around for a long time, and has overcome a horrible car accident, and is still an amazing player. Tolkki reminds me of him in a few solos (Speed of Light, etc.) Richie Sambora has a totally different style, and he is much slower than any of them. Keep on rocking! :headbang:
..Brothers of metal together again

Stratobanger

Post by Stratobanger » Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:18 am

Mmmmmmm.........

There are a lot of good guitar players.....I personally think that no one can be as good as Hendrix was.......:lol:

But.....lets see.....Tolkki said he prefers playing rythm guitar...But he also plays some fucking cool solos.....very emotional indeed.....When i started playing guitar i read somewhere that "you must use your techinque to show your music....not your music to show your techique" i think that's what Tolkki does....he's very creative....he plays guitar REALLY good, he sings really good, he composes JUST TOO FUCKING AWESOME, he produces really good.....i mean....he's not just a guitar player....he's also the band!!!!!

In case of Romeo, Malmsteen, and other guys...they just do this "ok, let's go in this scale at 100,000,000 Mph, and then then let's come back...we go...we return....we go..." it's really reduces the creativity.....for example......

Tony Iommi is creative, Ritchie Blackmore is creative, Luca Turilli, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani....Tolkki is more than a guitar player, he is a true musician....

So my vote goes for Tolkki...

(Geez....one day dudes....I'll play like him...just wait and you'll see....... :evilgrin: )
...And the booga will unite the nations and in the name of the justice, they'll fight against the evil one...

-The Booga Prophecies by Zheo Blackheart, master of all magics

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:47 pm

I do like Romeo and Tolkki, i'ven't no preference :)
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

Luca

Post by Luca » Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:32 pm

Romeo is much more technical than Tolkki, believe me! About who is the best, who knows? It depends on style, sound and other things...

Generally, Malmsteen is THE king!!! :)
Suomi Finland rulez!

Night Time Eclipse

Re: Re: Tolkki vs. Romeo

Post by Night Time Eclipse » Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:45 am

Fight4Freedom wrote:
Romeo is definitely more technical than Tolkki, but they are both amazing players. Yngwie has incredible speed and accuracy, and he's been around for a long time, and has overcome a horrible car accident, and is still an amazing player. Tolkki reminds me of him in a few solos (Speed of Light, etc.) Richie Sambora has a totally
different style, and he is much slower than any of them. Keep on rocking! :headbang:
Oh man, sambora is very fast... You just can't realize it yet... But he is such a professional that he knows where to play faster and where to play slower... :)
Will The Sun Rise???

Ateis

Post by Ateis » Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:14 pm

To me, it's kinda hard to tell which shredder is the best, but to me Romeo is better. Tolkki can play fast in basic 4:4 rhythms and write killer songs, but Romeo can play fast, neloclassical complex solos in more fucked up measures, so my point goes to Romeo

StratoRico

Post by StratoRico » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:27 pm

i think at thew moment Romeo has a techinque that it's more clear that the one that tolkki Shows but i don't like his style.

I have seen him two times live and he's really great,but after 4 solos i am bored by his playing.

I think Tolkki have i style that i prefer from romeo style.

By the way you have to pay attemption when you try to underline differencies from guitarists like them.
All right Romeo have e cleare style,but Tolkki,if he want,he can reach the thechnique level that he wants :D

We are talking about guys that are all amazing,and they just develop what they prefer.

I think that by executing they are the same,and we can only make differences between they're composing styles.
Make the best out of your dreams.
They're the world where you are free

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:09 am

romeu has a more complete technique because hi uses many thecniques....but one thing must have said....tolkkis alternate picking and arpeggious are better.....because he picks all the arppeggious like on stratosphere and on stratofortress and in the same spped that other guitar players do in sweeps...in my opinion is way harder to do picking arppeggious....but romeu is the best in tapping and sounds like a more complete guitar player player than tolkki...anyone agree with me?

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:00 pm

Picks Stratosphere arpeggios? What the hell, those 2-string arpeggios cannot be swept anyway. Tolkki plays all of his most "difficult" sounding stuff with basic economy picking which is the idea of sweeping too, just that Tolkki doesn't go that far, he composes the ideas around a simple technical idea. Like Stratosphere, Holy Light and Stratofortress in some difficult-sounding parts have this one rule: start with an UPSTROKE. Never need for sting-skipping and he doesn't usually get "inside the string" problem either. He's smart and figures out the easy way for his straightforward style. ;)

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:26 am

in stratosphere arppegious yes....but in stratofortress case it is easier to make them in sweeping ways cause it uses four strings and even so he uses alternate picking and i think that he does that way because is a guitar keyboard duet and the guitar makes a diference in the way its sounds the duet when he does the picking way....

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Tue Aug 10, 2004 5:45 am

Err, do you mean the funny section with odd times and same pattern with 3 different chords, starting with Dm? I thought he sweeps that and there's 2 pull-offs for that fast run anyway so it's not very clean sweep either. Hmm, too bad Tolkki doesn't write here anymore, maybe he could clear this out ;)

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:01 am

yeah...only tolkki could say it because im only sayin it what i saw in the show...i saw only alternate picking stuff....actually i didnt expected so much of tolkki as a guitar player live but i was surprised with his tecniche...it was the first time i saw tolkki playng speed of light the way it was recorded with all the fast pickings done the right way....but i think the problem is that tolkki doesnt play sweep stuff very good thats why he never does kiss of judas with the sweep in the beggining of the solo....he only makes alternate picking stuff....maybe he makes in another way in the recorded stratofortress and picks alive....

Last Viking

Post by Last Viking » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:46 am

Maybe I'm trying to be cooler than others but this is my opinion:
I wouldn't compare Tolkki and Romeo because it's so big difference between
them.I think Tolkki is good in studio recording, but live, oh shit, horrible. Most
of his solos go as fast as he can alternate picking scales. But Romeo has
better technique and he plays clearer than Tolkki on live. I admit that I have
never heard other than multi-sweep-alternate-picking-speed-weird-scale-solo
from Romeo, but maybe it's his weakness.I'd compare Tolkki to Yngwie, but he
loses in this battle also.

I don't understand why these topics never die, It's like comparing Kirk Hammet
from Metallica and John Petrucci from Dream Theater. Kirk Hammet has bigger
balls, but Petrucci can play better.Kirk Hammet is a metal monster but Petrucci
gets emotional when needed. NONONO don't start another thread from this!!

Guitarists that are listenable:
Paul Gilbert,Mike Romeo,John Petrucci,Shawn Lane(was),Allan Holdsworth,
Ron Jarzombek(technical wanker with GREAT melodies),Kirk Hammet, Nuno Bettencourt, :omg:

dupinguez

Post by dupinguez » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:55 pm

Hello, I knew here, so I think i could give my opinion if anybody cares :wink:
I think that in a technical way, everybody agrees that romeo is a best
guitar player than tolkki because of his incredible technique.
But both guitarist are also very good songwritters and i prefer listening
to songs full of emotions like tolkki's ones than a show-off full of
technical that's boring...
Mad Butcher & Eternal Devastation
Worst of All Horrendous Post-Makers From Hell

dupinguez

Post by dupinguez » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:56 pm

P.S. I wanted to say : I'm new, not i knew sorry
Mad Butcher & Eternal Devastation
Worst of All Horrendous Post-Makers From Hell

dupinguez