Bassists?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
htcdude
Re: Bassists?

Post by htcdude » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:32 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Oh and I've updated my setup. I sold the Hartke head and bought a Gallien-Krueger 400RB IV, and an Ashdown AMB cabinet. Oh yeah baby.
Have you heard back from DF yet?
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:16 am

nope not yet. As i said, I'm not really expecting to anyway ! :D
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Kain´s seventh son

Post by Kain´s seventh son » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:52 am

One Bass player here! :D

Been playing for 4 years now... and 2 and a half years ago I picked up a guitar to it's side...all becouse of the lack of interest my bändmates had in composing any songs... Thus far not much better than an avarage punk guitarist though :D

I currently play in two "bands" (both missing some key members like second guitarist / drumer / vocalist...), one playing heavy, blackish metal and the other some strange Gothic Prge stuff, really nice to play though...

I consist my tecnique mostly from different plectrum styles and two-three string melody picking with fingers... nothing is better than throwing your guitarist to his ass by playing melodic picking that should be challenging even with a small-scale guitar... :wink:

My gear (currently) is single handedly 5-stringed Ibanez BTB405QM Bass (has seen some rough love, and needs some caretaking :P ) and Behringer BX1200 120W amp, i'm currently thinking to buy Epiphone Thunderbird Goth or Warwick Vampyre (5-string)
"Even if I walk through all the circles of hell for you, you wouldn't even piss on me. But it's too late, it's too late my dear.
Because I'm already there!"

Protection-Perkele of Stratoforum

The Ruckus Brigade

Eerik

Post by Eerik » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:59 pm

Eerik wrote:My bass gear at the moment is:

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass (a killer!)
Ibanez BTB705OL (I´m trying to sell this and probably replace it later with a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5-string)
SWR 350x head
Hartke VX411 cab
EBS Multidrive
An update here, I just purchased a new amp on Saturday! It´s a Warwick ProTube IX 450W x 2 stereo amp and it´s one of the best amps I´ve ever played through (you just can´t beat an Ampeg though...)! I got a brilliant deal on it in a local music store: it is the amp that Marco used during the Nightwish world tour so basically they gave it to me at the price of a used amp, but they still sold is technically as new so it has the same guarantee a new amp would have. I can´t wait to play through it with a band! I´m probably going to pair it up with two Warwick 410 Pro cabs as soon as I´ll get the money.

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:16 pm

I'm A bassist too. And I'm sorry to say that I play with Harley Benton! I am a victim, pity me. :D I started playing bass really about a year ago. I started with the song Whole Lotta Love. I don't even want to remember those times. I sucked. Well , I still do, but I think I have improved. Now I can play some good songs and I'm learning fast. The only problem is that our guitarist is not into metal. As long as I can play with his Gibson, I am happy. My own bass... I hate it, seriously. I have also started "playing" guitar. I also sing... Not very well but still. If aborgines still sing like they used to, then it is called singing.
Aina ei pysty

Paola

Post by Paola » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:00 am

I amn't a Bassist but I want learn someday
Official hobbit of the Stratovarius forum...Relax guys, I don't find a ring...:wink: :lol:

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:48 pm

I have an Aria. Anyone heard it? I haven't heard it before ever in my life, but it is good. Everyone who has seen it, says it is beautiful, but it is so heavy... I wonder what's in it...

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:18 pm

stratobabius wrote:I have an Aria. Anyone heard it? I haven't heard it before ever in my life, but it is good. Everyone who has seen it, says it is beautiful, but it is so heavy... I wonder what's in it...
Arias are good makes. Cheap and reliable. It's heavy probably due to the type of wood it's made of.

Lugarid

Post by Lugarid » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:10 am

i`m a one-year old bass player (one year at playing bass:) ), have some sort of bass, i don't even know what make it is (none written anyware, and the guy that sold it to me has no clue either). maybe i`ll upload a picture here one day, maybe some of you guys have a clue. anyway, cheap as hell bass, but good for learning on it. looking forward to buying a Rockbass Fortress in the (hopefully) near future.

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:59 pm

I bought a guitar a couple of years ago and didn't play it... I kept hitting myself over not buying a bass... but now that I am quite good at the guitar I don't . I hate everybody that sais like - I don't like bass, it's to easy... death to them

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:26 am

I got this as a present some months ago...
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4618/hpim10226pt.jpg
What do you think? :)

Kain´s seventh son

Post by Kain´s seventh son » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:47 am

stratobabius wrote:I got this as a present some months ago...
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4618/hpim10226pt.jpg
What do you think? :)
Nice :) I don't thionk I would have too much of use with such, but it's nice still :) distortion gives good crunch to your playing, specially in lower tunings :D

btw, for all of you who feel like learnign some more basic things (like I do... :wink: ) here is a good site:
http://www.cyberfretbass.com/
Teaches A LOT to your playing! I've been playing for 5 years, and I felt like holding the instrument allmost for the first time with some of the stuff here... :? really great site, I recomment for everyone :) teaches some exelent new tecniques to everyone :)
"Even if I walk through all the circles of hell for you, you wouldn't even piss on me. But it's too late, it's too late my dear.
Because I'm already there!"

Protection-Perkele of Stratoforum

The Ruckus Brigade

Sin

Post by Sin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:29 am

here I am!
I'm an Italian Bassist (Ibanez BTB 5strings), and got a hard'n'heavy band, Sins Of Forgiveness. Furthermore I play with other professional musicians and collaborate with other bands as a performing live musician as well as in recording session.
Bass for life (in Bass we trust!!!)

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:41 pm

Well I got my first GUITAR, yes, it is a bit offtopic, but I think that guitarplaying really boost you fingerspeed and pickplaying speed so it's not a bad think, or what do you think :D Also , I'm going to by some upgrades to my bass set so watch out world. And I have evolved in bassplaying a "little". I suck no more, now I know what to do! Whoa, what feeling of power. Well ,better start my daily practice. Or else, I'll ger rusty :shock:
Aina ei pysty

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:21 am

Well, there's a clip of my solo-ish playing on my myspace page, www.myspace.com/neonmig

Let me know what you guys think.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:18 am

Wow man, that's awesome, you really put many guitarists to shame :P
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:11 pm

DARN, can't hear the solo thingie, because my computer does not want me to hear it. I hate you quick time...
Aina ei pysty

Martine

Post by Martine » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:09 am

Try with Winamp
Martine, The Truly French Canadian
Martine, Une vraie canadienne française
http://www.myspace.com/martine42

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:25 pm

Well the problem is fixed, got it via msn (cheers Stratobabius 8) ) and it was really cool. Well of to play again. Why do mys socks smell? :?
Aina ei pysty

BLACK_WINGS

Post by BLACK_WINGS » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:37 am

BASS PLAYERS DO IT BETTER!! AND I'M A BASS PLAYER, SO PROUD OF IT! I STUDY 6 HOURS A DAY, I LOVE EVERYTHING OF BEING A MUSICIAN AND I LOVE TO KNOW PEOPLE AS YOU ALL! LAURI PORRA RULES! VISIT MY BAND ON www.myspace.com/blackwingsmusic ...ALSO US FROM ITALY ARE STILL ROCKIN' HARD! SEE YOU GUYS! KEEP ON ROCKIN'!!!
VISIT www.myspace.com/blackwingsmusic
GREAT MUSIC ON LINE!!!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:07 pm

I'm getting this in a few days. Can't wait! My faithful Ibanez SR406 has taken all the abuse it can, it will now be retired from Winter's Verge-related duties, and will stay in the UK to be used for my University studies.

Still can't wait for the BTB!!

iced guardian

Post by iced guardian » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:53 am

that's a feroceos 6 strings beast my friend. :) i hope you will learn how to control it!
i play bass to since a while. when i started i had 2 years of guitar experice behind so it wasnt so dificult. now im trying to perfectionate my stamina for fast finger playing(like any decent power metal song). actualy i can play that but if its too fast and too long im losing control, notes are not on the right tempo anymore. like, i cant play stratosheres more than 1 minute( thats a hard one too). im wondering: is it better to play with 3 fingers or with 2? if some one has usefull advice or resources it would be useful. :D

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:35 am

iced guardian wrote:that's a feroceos 6 strings beast my friend. :) i hope you will learn how to control it!
i play bass to since a while. when i started i had 2 years of guitar experice behind so it wasnt so dificult. now im trying to perfectionate my stamina for fast finger playing(like any decent power metal song). actualy i can play that but if its too fast and too long im losing control, notes are not on the right tempo anymore. like, i cant play stratosheres more than 1 minute( thats a hard one too). im wondering: is it better to play with 3 fingers or with 2? if some one has usefull advice or resources it would be useful. :D
I've been playing a 6-string for about 5 years now, so I'm used to it ;)

The secret to playing fast is to have your right hand as relaxed as possible. Don't tense it up, because your muscles get tired. Let your fingers flow over the strings. It takes time to learn how to control it properly. Turning the volume higher and playing lighter, or using a good compressor is usually very helpful.

As for two or three fingers... it doesn't make much of a difference at the end of the day. Billy Sheehan uses 3, in a very specific fashion (by using his three fingers in this pattern

1-2-3-1----2-3-1-2----3-1-2-3----1-2-3-1----2-3-1-2----3-1-2-3

Basically, he's evening out the 'triplet' Iced Earth-feel one naturally gets from using 3 fingers into a steady rhythm. ('Triplet' is actually the wrong word, but that's another story).

I mostly use 2 fingers. Just find what works better for you!

iced guardian

Post by iced guardian » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:58 am

thanks for the advices. :) i play iced earth every day, at least a few songs. that's what completes my day. i know every note of every song(besides some songs from glorious burden). i dont see how i could play iced earth without using the 3 fingers stroke to do those "triplets". i think rhapsody's bassist plays with 3 fingers when he plays fast, so thats why i was wondering if it was more efficient. also, i saw jarri using 3 fingers when playing realy fast solos(on the DVD, before the solo from on destiny). what an incredible basse player jarri...
another question: does having your stings low( closer to the fretboard) really helps in playing fast on the frets? im having some hard times playing some classical songs in tapping when the notes are too distanced. thanks again bro!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:20 pm

iced guardian wrote:thanks for the advices. :) i play iced earth every day, at least a few songs. that's what completes my day. i know every note of every song(besides some songs from glorious burden). i dont see how i could play iced earth without using the 3 fingers stroke to do those "triplets". i think rhapsody's bassist plays with 3 fingers when he plays fast, so thats why i was wondering if it was more efficient. also, i saw jarri using 3 fingers when playing realy fast solos(on the DVD, before the solo from on destiny). what an incredible basse player jarri...
another question: does having your stings low( closer to the fretboard) really helps in playing fast on the frets? im having some hard times playing some classical songs in tapping when the notes are too distanced. thanks again bro!
Yup, Rhapsody's bassist and Jari were using Billy Sheehan's technique (Jari has stated Sheehan as one of his major influences).

I have my bass set up with quite low action. It does lose a bit of tone like that, but makes playing Metal much easier. And tapping too, I do a lot of that (check my Myspace page or the Winter's Verge page for the song 'For I Have Sinned' to see what I mean.) It requires playing around with the truss rods and lowering the bridge action, and then correcting the intonation of the strings again. It's not an easy job, it's very time consuming and slow. I had my bass set up at the shop I got it from, by a professional bass technician, I'd recommend you do that as well if it's the first time you'll mess about with those kinds of things.

iced guardian

Post by iced guardian » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:31 am

thanks bro! your song "goodbye" is excellent, so as "for i have sinned". i didnt have time to listen the others. for the bass adjustments i wont have the choice to go to a shop, because i have no tools. it will cost about 50$ per hour, and the guys at the shop take their time. they have smoking breaks, coffee breaks, eating breaks and so on. last time i took my bass there because the fretboard was not straight and it costed me 55$. he said he did a complete check up so thats why it took so much time. i didnt ask for a check up, my bass is perfectly healthy. :D anyways, thanks for the useful advice.

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:35 pm

Ok, I think I'm sure about what I want.
http://www.musicorama.gr/eshop/images/m ... 001971.jpg

Well, it's surely better than my last one...I hope I can have that till next year (considering it's inexpensive, too) Better start saving...

Maniac

Post by Maniac » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:05 pm

John Myung beware!
stratobabius is coming :!: :P :D :)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:03 pm

stratobabius wrote:Ok, I think I'm sure about what I want.

Well, it's surely better than my last one...I hope I can have that till next year (considering it's inexpensive, too) Better start saving...
I have the 6-string version of that. I can say it is truly an excellent instrument.

cliff

Post by cliff » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:39 am

NeonVomit wrote:
stratobabius wrote:Ok, I think I'm sure about what I want.

I have the 6-string version of that. I can say it is truly an excellent instrument.
Is this a BTB 406 or 556 (or perhaps 506)? Can't see it clear on the pic!

@Neonvomit : wow. a BTB556! I heard it's an amazing bass, especially for the price! I have been thinking a lot about buying a BTB500 myself.
I think I'll finally fall for an Aria IGB, like this one : http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/07/b3/a6/fe_1.JPG
or perhaps that one : http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/07/c0/d3/21_1.JPG
Never been a fan of 5 or 6 strings basses...
<b>This is wrong</b>