Bassists?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
stratobabius
Re: Bassists?

Post by stratobabius » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 am

Santa's present (most likely)

:D

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:17 am

I also play the bass guitar...not since long, actually, maybe since january...or almost feb, I don't know. I'm not very good I suppose, but for playing in my band it's quite enough I think. Actually the reason why I started was the band. I first was the vocalist but we didn't find a bassist and so I thought one can find a vocalist rather easily than a bassist so I started to practise playing the bass guitar myself with our school bass (only in free lessons and breaks of course, when else? ^^" ), which was a peavey. And maybe a week ago I bought myself my own. It's a Spector, a 4-string bass, although I planned to buy a 5-string. But somehow I saw this in a shop and liked it so much that I bought it. Now I'm desperately trying to play Fear of the Dark for that's the only really difficult song (for me it's difficult, I don't know if it really is, I've no knowledge anyway about it) which we play in the band. And neither do I get the speed, nor that slap-thing. Can anyone tell me how that works? I'd be glad ^^"
greets, MME
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
I looked for love in an empty world
but all I found was hate

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Me, My Enemy wrote:I also play the bass guitar...not since long, actually, maybe since january...or almost feb, I don't know. I'm not very good I suppose, but for playing in my band it's quite enough I think. Actually the reason why I started was the band. I first was the vocalist but we didn't find a bassist and so I thought one can find a vocalist rather easily than a bassist so I started to practise playing the bass guitar myself with our school bass (only in free lessons and breaks of course, when else? ^^" ), which was a peavey. And maybe a week ago I bought myself my own. It's a Spector, a 4-string bass, although I planned to buy a 5-string. But somehow I saw this in a shop and liked it so much that I bought it. Now I'm desperately trying to play Fear of the Dark for that's the only really difficult song (for me it's difficult, I don't know if it really is, I've no knowledge anyway about it) which we play in the band. And neither do I get the speed, nor that slap-thing. Can anyone tell me how that works? I'd be glad ^^"
greets, MME
Ok I assume you're talking about Steve Harris' sound? He uses a relatively low setup, with some low mids in the sound and plays the strings quite hard relatively near to the neck, which results in the strings hitting the last fret and getting his characteristic sound.

As for speed, practise practise practise. There really isn't an easy way or shortcut.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:38 pm

I met a basist girl, happily we really like eachother :D (we're in messenger right now)

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:23 pm

Thanks NeonVomit ^^
But I don't know if I get it right...Do you mean I need low strings, so it's a property the bass shoud have or do you mean something different? ^^"
And, is it important if I play:
----------------
------8----------
------8---------
------6---------

or

--3---------------
--3-------------
--1-------------
----------------
I realized it sounds a little bit different but I don't know if it's really important. Because in the tabs I found there's 133, but I find it's easier to play 688 because my hands are quite small. I don't know if it really matters.

And for the Steve Harris sound...Is it absolutely necessary that one plays with the fingers and not with a pick? ^^" I know he plays with fingers but maybe one can also do it with the pick...no idea ^^"
MME

btw: NeonVomit, I heard your band on your myspace...since how long do you play (I mean how long do you yourself play bass, not how long you play with the band) ? O_o It was so f***ing awesome!
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
but all I found was hate

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:01 am

Me, My Enemy wrote:Thanks NeonVomit ^^
But I don't know if I get it right...Do you mean I need low strings, so it's a property the bass shoud have or do you mean something different? ^^"
Well, setup refers to the height of the strings off the neck. It has to do with adjusting the neck and bridge, but that's something you shouldn't be too bothered with, everyone just sets their bass up the way that's most comfortable for them so don't worry about it much.

And, is it important if I play:
----------------
------8----------
------8---------
------6---------

or

--3---------------
--3-------------
--1-------------
----------------
I realized it sounds a little bit different but I don't know if it's really important. Because in the tabs I found there's 133, but I find it's easier to play 688 because my hands are quite small. I don't know if it really matters.
Seriously, whatever's easier for you. Does it sound different? Yes. Does it matter? No. I mean, I really don't think anyone will be able to tell the difference in the middle of the song, along with the guitars and drums. I did some masterclasses with a well-known session player back in London, and he told me that there's no point in making things difficult for yourself over such matters.

In any case, I think Steve himself plays 688. Find a couple of live videos, he does that strumming stuff higher up the neck. Why? It's easier :D
And for the Steve Harris sound...Is it absolutely necessary that one plays with the fingers and not with a pick? ^^" I know he plays with fingers but maybe one can also do it with the pick...no idea ^^"
Well, the truth is no matter how hard anyone tries, the only one who can get Steve Harris' sound is Steve himself :D Whatever bass or amp you use, the sound is ultimately literally in your hands. So again, just do whatever works best for you. Will you sound like Steve Harris? No. Will anyone else in your band sound like Dave Murray/Nicko McBrain/Bruce Dickinson? I somewhat doubt it! So just chill out, and do what is most comfortable for you. I play with fingers, but that's just my style. Playing with a pick gives you a very aggressive, cutting sound which is pretty cool in itself.
btw: NeonVomit, I heard your band on your myspace...since how long do you play (I mean how long do you yourself play bass, not how long you play with the band) ? O_o It was so f***ing awesome!
Erm. I haven't thought of that, I just realised I've been playing for 11 years now :shock: It was that long ago I started?!?! I'm feeling old :(

Glad you like the music though.

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:47 pm

Hoi
Thanks a lot. So I'll just keep on playing 688 and with my pick ^^
I think the strings on my bass are comparitively low. I just played 3 bass guitar so far I think, but the other two were higher I think. I'm confident with it.
Of course you're right no one of us will sound like any Maiden members. At the moment (if it goes on like this) I wonder anyway, if we'll at least make any sound at all...I just wanted to try and see if I could improve my style a bit, for my style sucks atm. ^^"
I'll have to practise a lot it seems...maybe I once get a bit better. ^^"
Anyway, thanks again for your help and your time
MME
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
but all I found was hate

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:32 am

Me, My Enemy wrote: At the moment (if it goes on like this) I wonder anyway, if we'll at least make any sound at all...I just wanted to try and see if I could improve my style a bit, for my style sucks atm. ^^"
I'll have to practise a lot it seems...maybe I once get a bit better. ^^"
Well, to borrow a phrase, it's important to find your own 'voice' :D on the instrument. Just work at it and you'll get there :) Music is a language, after all. It's a natural thing for all people and you'll find the best way to express yourself.
Anyway, thanks again for your help and your time
MME
Anytime!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:35 am

exe knight wrote:I met a basist girl, happily we really like eachother :D (we're in messenger right now)
Bassists in general are the best. Strong hands ;) :lol:

My girlfriend plays and teaches piano so that's also nice.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:00 am

NeonVomit wrote:
exe knight wrote:I met a basist girl, happily we really like eachother :D (we're in messenger right now)
Bassists in general are the best. Strong hands ;) :lol:

My girlfriend plays and teaches piano so that's also nice.
Also my sister plays piano (or the electrical thing) :D

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:40 pm

Hey, NeonVomit, why don't you learn piano with your girlfriend. I find piano is so much fun ( on piano I managed to find my own voice :) ...but I think that's only because I've been playing since I've been 4 or 5)...I wish I had one at home...but I've only got a keyboard lol.
Does your girlfriend have a piano at home?
And exe_knight...Does your sis have an E-piano or a keyboard? E-piano is also nice imo ^^
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
but all I found was hate

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Me, My Enemy wrote:Hey, NeonVomit, why don't you learn piano with your girlfriend. I find piano is so much fun ( on piano I managed to find my own voice :) ...but I think that's only because I've been playing since I've been 4 or 5)...I wish I had one at home...but I've only got a keyboard lol.
Does your girlfriend have a piano at home?
And exe_knight...Does your sis have an E-piano or a keyboard? E-piano is also nice imo ^^
I actually started out on piano when I was 5. I've since forgotten it all. I mean, I know some basic stuff, harmony etc. but I can't play anything near the level of stuff she can (Rachmaninov, Liszt, some Chopin). She's got a pretty nice piano at home, yeah. I mostly mess about on our keyboardist's Kurzweil, but I always end up getting distracted by all the buttons and slider thingys on it and usually mess up his settings :D

My classical side is on double bass/contrabasso. I still have a long, long way to go on that to reach a professional level, but I'm working hard!

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:08 am

Playing Liszt, imo, is musicial madness...I don't suppose I'll ever be able to do it.
When you were a kid, did you play the piano for a long time? Why did you stop?
Well, keyboards are strange in a way, imo. I don't know...I never really liked them as I like pianos somehow. Most of the times they remind me of some computer games. Some are quite okay, though, on my old one for example, there are some sounds which aren't annoying gg. So you still seem to have one too, don't you?
You really play this big contra bass as well O_o They are so cute in a way. Can you make a picture of yours? I always like seeing them being bigger than me :D
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
but all I found was hate

Rebel

Post by Rebel » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:16 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Me, My Enemy wrote:I also play the bass guitar...not since long, actually, maybe since january...or almost feb, I don't know. I'm not very good I suppose, but for playing in my band it's quite enough I think. Actually the reason why I started was the band. I first was the vocalist but we didn't find a bassist and so I thought one can find a vocalist rather easily than a bassist so I started to practise playing the bass guitar myself with our school bass (only in free lessons and breaks of course, when else? ^^" ), which was a peavey. And maybe a week ago I bought myself my own. It's a Spector, a 4-string bass, although I planned to buy a 5-string. But somehow I saw this in a shop and liked it so much that I bought it. Now I'm desperately trying to play Fear of the Dark for that's the only really difficult song (for me it's difficult, I don't know if it really is, I've no knowledge anyway about it) which we play in the band. And neither do I get the speed, nor that slap-thing. Can anyone tell me how that works? I'd be glad ^^"
greets, MME
Ok I assume you're talking about Steve Harris' sound? He uses a relatively low setup, with some low mids in the sound and plays the strings quite hard relatively near to the neck, which results in the strings hitting the last fret and getting his characteristic sound.

As for speed, practise practise practise. There really isn't an easy way or shortcut.
Untrue, most bassists start out playing with their fingers bent, if you straigten them out, you shift the workload onto a larger knuckle that can take more pain, and it puts more on the tendons and less on the knuckles. Try alternating between your middle and ring finger, if you're playing Iron Maiden, you'll need to use three fingers, and the middle-ring alternation will both help you do a three finger gallop, as well as help your index middle alternation.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:40 pm

Rebel wrote: Untrue, most bassists start out playing with their fingers bent, if you straigten them out, you shift the workload onto a larger knuckle that can take more pain, and it puts more on the tendons and less on the knuckles. Try alternating between your middle and ring finger, if you're playing Iron Maiden, you'll need to use three fingers, and the middle-ring alternation will both help you do a three finger gallop, as well as help your index middle alternation.
Steve Harris only ever uses 2 fingers :) and it's only really possible to get his sound with 2. But then again, it's always better to find your own...

I let my fingers flow as naturally as possible. Trying to keep them straight all the time would be very uncomfortable.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:58 pm

Me, My Enemy wrote:Playing Liszt, imo, is musicial madness...I don't suppose I'll ever be able to do it.
When you were a kid, did you play the piano for a long time? Why did you stop?
Because I was young and stupid :D really, I regret it very much...
Well, keyboards are strange in a way, imo. I don't know...I never really liked them as I like pianos somehow. Most of the times they remind me of some computer games. Some are quite okay, though, on my old one for example, there are some sounds which aren't annoying gg. So you still seem to have one too, don't you?
I have a really crappy old Yamaha that sounds like a Nintendo :D Nothing like Stefan's Kurzweil.
You really play this big contra bass as well O_o They are so cute in a way. Can you make a picture of yours? I always like seeing them being bigger than me :D
Yeah, it's fun! Lovely instrument.

Only picture I have at the moment, I'll upload a couple of more at some point.

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu May 15, 2008 6:17 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Rebel wrote: Untrue, most bassists start out playing with their fingers bent, if you straigten them out, you shift the workload onto a larger knuckle that can take more pain, and it puts more on the tendons and less on the knuckles. Try alternating between your middle and ring finger, if you're playing Iron Maiden, you'll need to use three fingers, and the middle-ring alternation will both help you do a three finger gallop, as well as help your index middle alternation.
Steve Harris only ever uses 2 fingers :) and it's only really possible to get his sound with 2. But then again, it's always better to find your own...

I let my fingers flow as naturally as possible. Trying to keep them straight all the time would be very uncomfortable.
I think that Harris also uses the Rotosound flatwound strings- he hits the strings so hard that I doubt if he could use the standard Rotosound Swing Bass (roundwound) strings- the notes would probably be almost unintelligible if he did.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu May 15, 2008 6:37 pm

miditek wrote: I think that Harris also uses the Rotosound flatwound strings- he hits the strings so hard that I doubt if he could use the standard Rotosound Swing Bass (roundwound) strings- the notes would probably be almost unintelligible if he did.

Yup.

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Thu May 15, 2008 10:19 pm

Hey NeonVomit, Thanks for the big-bass picture ^^ It's nice ^^
I have a really crappy old Yamaha that sounds like a Nintendo
Well, yeah, that's what I meant. ^^ Keyboard = Supoermario games LOL But well, not all of them ^^
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
but all I found was hate

miditek

Post by miditek » Fri May 16, 2008 1:24 am

NeonVomit wrote:I have a really crappy old Yamaha that sounds like a Nintendo :D Nothing like Stefan's Kurzweil.

Does your Yamaha happen to have MIDI ports on it? If so, you could always simply use the Yamaha as a controller-

If so, you might want to check around to see if you can find either one of these 1/2 rack space modules- as both of the are great for demos/composing, etc., and they are now pretty inexpensive.

Korg 05RW

The organs and pianos rock, as do the string sounds. Drums and percussion are suitable enough for demos, but not a major project. It even has a built-in FX processor.

Roland SC55 (SC88 are good also)

Same applies here, but I think that Roland's brass and string sounds are a bit more vibrant. These modules are a bit primitive by today's standards, but you get quite a bit of bang for the buck though, and the patches are really not bad at all.

While I've composed some stuff on the bass, as well as guitar, I typically start out using keyboards 75% of the time.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri May 16, 2008 1:45 am

miditek wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:I have a really crappy old Yamaha that sounds like a Nintendo :D Nothing like Stefan's Kurzweil.

Does your Yamaha happen to have MIDI ports on it?
No :D it really sucks haha.

I guess I could get some sort of midi controller, but we'll see.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Sorry for bumping an old topic but i'm going to start practicing bass before the end of the year and was wondering if Ibanez bass' are good for starters?

And does bass' sound rely heavily on amps?, just thinking if i should buy some badass amp right away or start with a cheap one..

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Weren't you into keyboards? Or was that somebody else? Anyway, good luck with it, my sister-in-law practise bass and as far as I'm concerned if you are a begginer at it you should first try with some simple amp; I can assure you bass sounds way too heavy :)

But who am I to tell you this, we should wait for an official comment here
|StratoFan Forever|

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:16 pm

That must of been someone else, i'm more into guitars. I was going to start playing the electric guitar at first but after trying both the bass and the guitar the bass just seemed so right.. :)

And now if Neonvomit could come and help me with my choices.. :roll:

ggonza43

Post by ggonza43 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:11 pm

4 stringed bass to start I assume, right? Don't be like this dude:
(Sorry, but I had too :D)
|StratoFan Forever|

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Fucking lol'd. :lol:

le_pacificien

Post by le_pacificien » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi guys, I've practised the bass for some years. What I really like is tapping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm4ruxanJmA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuRgOjh2eNI

Unfortunately, I can't do that anymore, may be when I'll have a band I'll start again...

Ozzy Osbourne

Post by Ozzy Osbourne » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:55 pm

my bass player can tap flight of the bumblebee with his genitals take that le_pacificien
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJVr0vJK2rs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jJVr0vJK2rs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

le_pacificien

Post by le_pacificien » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:50 pm

you're bass player is just impressive !

Karlheinz Stockhausen

Post by Karlheinz Stockhausen » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 am

:x Bah My ten drummers can play all their kettle-drums with you know what. Bah. Bassplayers are whimpers. In my experience. ha.