Singing like Timo Tolkki.

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
tanis573
Singing like Timo Tolkki.

Post by tanis573 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:09 am

This may sound stupid, but I want to train to sing like Timo Tolkki, any suggestions?

Twilight Legionnaire

Re: Singing like Timo Tolkki.

Post by Twilight Legionnaire » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:34 am

I think Timo was asked sometime, by a fan, if that fan could ever play like him. And Timo said something along the lines of, "You shouldn't try to sound like me, you should try to sound like yourself."

Or something like that :wink: The meaning is there. However, if you want to practice, just try to sing along his songs. I've tried, but I can more easily follow Hansi Kursch than any of the two Timos, since my voice is lower :D
perkele

Veripalttu

Post by Veripalttu » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:31 pm

Record on tape your impersonation of Tolkki, compare it with the original one, listen carefully what is it that you aren't doing right (too nasal, do deep, too growling etc), practice some more, record again, listen carefully again. I use this technique when I try to impersonate someone.
I haven't killed him yet sir,
But when I do, I shall have the stomach and the liver too,
And the floppily doppilies in their horrid glue.

stratoraffus

Post by stratoraffus » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:51 pm

tanis573 wrote:This may sound stupid, but I want to train to sing like Timo Tolkki, any suggestions?
study 8)
Winter Haze Official Site
www.winter-haze.com

browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:31 pm

Even with study you will not be able to sing like him. You may come close to sounding like him, but singers all sound different. You cannot sing like Tolkki! So, TT is right---you will sing like yourself. Actually, that should be your goal, to sing like your best self possible! :)
"Your life is yours, and yours alone. Rise up and live it!"

Bob: I don't believe in God.
Archangel Michael: That's OK, Bob, because He doesn't believe in you, either!~Legion~

TardOnPC

Twilight is right

Post by TardOnPC » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:53 am

Good advice twilight, you can try listening to the songs and singing along and try different techniques but as you know, everyone has different vocals, sing as yourself and harmonize, and BTW Hansi kicks major ass!!!

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:53 am

But if talking about the style of singing, not impression of the voice, I think it shouldn't be too hard to reach Timo's level quite fast because he's not really a singer. Just sing along and try not to hurt yourself, don't even do them screams before you know how ;)

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:01 am

tanis573 wrote:This may sound stupid, but I want to train to sing like Timo Tolkki, any suggestions?
I'd just tell you: don't try to sing like Timo Tolkki but just sing like yourself. Everyone has different voice.
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

AgentC

Post by AgentC » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:22 pm

Tolkki seems to forcibly strain his throat on the high notes to create the unique sound, instead of letting go to lighter headvoice or falsetto. It's probably bad for your voice to follow this habit. But if you really want to do that, just try to use as much force/aggression as possible and prepare for pain :)

TimoTolkki

Post by TimoTolkki » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:26 pm

Hey man, trains don´t sing :)
My advice would be that if you want to sing like me, you will fuck up you voice. I know I did because I screamed like hell and didn´t have the technique.
You probably have some favourite singers, it is cool to try to copy them.
Along the years you´ll need to discover your own unique voice. It is there, but it is hard to find.
I always thought that technique should be learned to a maximum and then you should forget it! Don´t think about it.
They key to great vocalists lie in their talent to express their inner feelings translated into music. When you are singing straight from your heart, you cannot go wrong. How do you get there? You probably will have a bumpy road on, you must live first and foremost and you should learn to be humble and kind. Nature is far greater than we human beings can imagine and will teach us a lesson if we become too arrogant.
But the main point in singing and in life too, in my humble opinion, is to have fun and a good sense of humour :)
Good luck!

Beast_Pete

Post by Beast_Pete » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:52 pm

(1529+13)
TimoTolkki wrote:But the main point in singing and in life too, in my humble opinion, is to have fun and a good sense of humour :)
Good luck!
For example in concerts. I don't have a good voice, but I'm the loudest and craziest, when it's up to have fun and feel good. And of course, noone can hear it out, how horrible I am at singing. :D

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:11 pm

TimoTolkki wrote:
They key to great vocalists lie in their talent to express their inner feelings translated into music. When you are singing straight from your heart, you cannot go wrong. How do you get there? You probably will have a bumpy road on, you must live first and foremost and you should learn to be humble and kind. Nature is far greater than we human beings can imagine and will teach us a lesson if we become too arrogant.
But the main point in singing and in life too, in my humble opinion, is to have fun and a good sense of humour :)
Good luck!
This has nothing to do with the conversation, but DAMN IT'S GREAT TO HAVE YOU "BACK" ! :wink:
<b>This is wrong</b>

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:40 pm

Patricia wrote:
I'd just tell you: don't try to sing like Timo Tolkki but just sing like yourself. Everyone has different voice.
I must agree. I sing in a little band and I must say that anyone must sing in his or her way...For example I've not Kotipelto's voice but I can sing some songs with my voice (even if there could be not competition...) that's not so high.

But if you believe in what you are doing, continue to sing...music is made for give and take emotions...
Good luck :beer:
...don't let my memory die,
but now it's time to be gone...

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:11 pm

Dark Angel wrote: I must agree. I sing in a little band and I must say that anyone must sing in his or her way...For example I've not Kotipelto's voice but I can sing some songs with my voice (even if there could be not competition...) that's not so high.
I've not Kotipelto's voice neither, but in this moment, i work with a lead guitar-singer who searchs a singer for his band someone who has similar Kotipelto's voice.
How weird it can be, he wants to give me a chance... He has suggested me some training for singing.
I can sing well some Strato songs, but i've said to him that i sing just with my voice..I just want to be myself.
But if you believe in what you are doing, continue to sing...music is made for give and take emotions...
Agree!! :)

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:34 pm

Patricia wrote:
Dark Angel wrote: I must agree. I sing in a little band and I must say that anyone must sing in his or her way...For example I've not Kotipelto's voice but I can sing some songs with my voice (even if there could be not competition...) that's not so high.
I've not Kotipelto's voice neither, but in this moment, i work with a lead guitar-singer who searchs a singer for his band someone who has similar Kotipelto's voice.
How weird it can be, he wants to give me a chance... He has suggested me some training for singing.
I can sing well some Strato songs, but i've said to him that i sing just with my voice..I just want to be myself.
Agree!! :)
Training is very important (expecially for a smoker as I am)...

JF Knight Of Steel

Post by JF Knight Of Steel » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:23 pm

I think that Tolkki had a wonderful voice.. really unique and all!
That was the good ol' times, but Kotipelto made quite a change too!
His voice is different, unique also..

But I still like to hear the old StratovariuS with Tolkki on vocals... :)
It's classicals to me!

Darkness
Night Screamer
Madness Strikes At Midnight..

I like them! ^^
And Tolkki was damn right, you have to find your own voice..
Some might say we are cold
Don't believe all that's been told
Our hearts are made of gold
In the land of ice and snow

(23 Sept. 2005 @ the Medley, you guys ruled! Be sure to come back visit us soon!^^)

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:10 pm

Dark Angel wrote: Training is very important (expecially for a smoker as I am)...
Yep, training is very important! (i don't smoke, i hate that).
Good luck to you! :wink:

ciruelo

dfsaf

Post by ciruelo » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:03 pm

to make your voice sound like his, u just have to train and study

but my advice is that you "make your own voice", like the song :P :lol:

JF Knight Of Steel

Re: dfsaf

Post by JF Knight Of Steel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:32 am

ciruelo wrote:to make your voice sound like his, u just have to train and study

but my advice is that you "make your own voice", like the song :P :lol:
Right man!
To practise the voice, train hard is the key...
And also some singing lessons could help like Kotipelto once said to me (I asked him advice in his guestbook). But probably only to gain skills, tricks... somehow!
But to do Metal, the best is to learn on his own and train everyday if possible. Drinking water can be good too. :)

(23 Sept. 2005 @ the Medley, you guys ruled! Be sure to come back visit us soon!^^)

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:34 pm

Patricia wrote:
Dark Angel wrote: Training is very important (expecially for a smoker as I am)...
Yep, training is very important! (i don't smoke, i hate that).
Good luck to you! :wink:
You are right :twak: it's a very bad thing...
Do you know Carrie (Europe)? Since last year I Was able to sing all this song...now the highest part (after guitar solo) has became too high... :( :cry: :( This even because my voice sounded forced singing it and so I've decided to stop to force my voice and sing one-two tones less high...to prevent neckhache...

I was forgetting...
GOOD LUCK to you too...:)

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:03 am

Dark Angel wrote:
You are right :twak: it's a very bad thing...
Do you know Carrie (Europe)? Since last year I Was able to sing all this song...now the highest part (after guitar solo) has became too high... :( :cry: :( This even because my voice sounded forced singing it and so I've decided to stop to force my voice and sing one-two tones less high...to prevent neckhache...
Yes i know this song. If you've started to take some singing lessons it's great! Don't worry if at the beginning you can't sing so high the song in "high tune", that's normal. You've to train your voice regularly and then you'll find again the way to sing these "high tunes" without forcing your voice at all. :)
The technic vocal helps you do not forcing your voice at all. You can sing without your throat actually.:wink:
I was forgetting...
GOOD LUCK to you too...:)

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:58 pm

Today we have start to play with a new band...a male voice(me),a female one, two guitars, bass, keyboard and drums...I am the elder(21) and Maria, the female singer, the younger(16)...
To begin, we have try to play Fear of the dark (Iron Maiden), and with my big surprise I've discovered that I can sing it all without many problems...whay does it happen??? I say that because I was SURE that I was not able to sing it without coughing...VERY GOOD!!!!

JF Knight Of Steel

Post by JF Knight Of Steel » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:24 pm

Returning to the topic... I still think that the old-Strato era with Tolkki on vocals rulz!!! \m/

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:22 am

more than the koti era?
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:59 am

I think Timo Tolkki had a nice voice in the first albums, but i guess that if he has taken another singer in the band,Timo Kotipelto, that was not for nothing.
Timo tolkki can play his guitar parts certainly more comfortable now, than if he sang in the same time to play guitar. And Timo Kotipelto has always his amazing voice which progresses constantly so.. :wink:

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:27 pm

Patricia wrote:I think Timo Tolkki had a nice voice in the first albums, but i guess that if he has taken another singer in the band,Timo Kotipelto, that was not for nothing.
Timo tolkki can play his guitar parts certainly more comfortable now, than if he sang in the same time to play guitar. And Timo Kotipelto has always his amazing voice which progresses constantly so.. :wink:
I agree...it's not simple to play some guitar parts while singing...
However I think that Koti's voice is better for Stratovarius lyrics..

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:43 pm

Dark Angel wrote: However I think that Koti's voice is better for Stratovarius lyrics..
Yes, and Timo Tolkki said it himself that Timo Kotipelto was "the voice" for Stratovarius. :wink:

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:47 pm

Patricia wrote:
Dark Angel wrote: However I think that Koti's voice is better for Stratovarius lyrics..
Yes, and Timo Tolkki said it himself that Timo Kotipelto was "the voice" for Stratovarius. :wink:
...Kotipelto jointed Stratovarius cause of Tolkki's will...

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:59 pm

Dark Angel wrote:
Patricia wrote:
...Kotipelto jointed Stratovarius cause of Tolkki's will...
Right!

Dark Angel

Post by Dark Angel » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:09 pm

Well I think the band is nearly to perfectio as it is...Koti, Tolkki, Jens, Jorg & Jari are through the best player in metal and after all these years can play together as none...