??? Amp question ???

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
Twilightskies1987
??? Amp question ???

Post by Twilightskies1987 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:59 am

Hello. It's been awhile since i posted here, I have a new question i was hoping i could get some help with. Currently I am playing out of a very used Crate GFX 1200H with a crate something or other celestion 4X12 cab. I'm planning on keeping the cab for awhile, but the distortion I'm getting from the head is beginning to bug me, its all buzz and crackle, and if i turn up the "shape" to give it some body, it makes the cab rattle like crazy, there is no mid control and once you turn it up past 4 it all seems to go to hell. Recently I played out of a JCM2000 with a Mesa cab in the studio and it was amazing. My question is, can anyone recomend any affordable amp heads that are better than the Crate? Say something like a solidstate Peavey, Laney or a Line 6 head of some kind? my price range is around 700ish. Thanks for taking the time friends!

Veripalttu

Re: ??? Amp question ???

Post by Veripalttu » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:02 pm

Go for good used heads, much cheaper than new ones and better than cheap new ones.
I haven't killed him yet sir,
But when I do, I shall have the stomach and the liver too,
And the floppily doppilies in their horrid glue.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:34 pm

Almost anything is better than Crate. They're overpriced, and basically shit.

I'd look at Line 6, because they're versatile. Also, have the cab looked at, it shouldn't rattle like that.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Twilightskies1987

Post by Twilightskies1987 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:28 pm

Yes i agree on the cheap used heads idea :D . Hahaha, I also agree on the Crate comment, I actually acquired it for free by trading a smaller 2X12 Combo i had for it so bassically i got a half stack for about 345$ hehe. I do like the Line 6 Flextone series stuff, I think the Vettas are out of my price range and they look pretty complex. I was also going to check out a Peavey XXL head, I'm skeptic though, the last peavey I owned was a combo and it was pretty awful, I traded it for the Crate 2X12 within a week.

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:36 am

Get a Metaltronix M-1000 (Lee Jackson Amp). I got one off ebay for 650 plus shipping. It is basically a modded marshall. This amp has killer tone and is completely affordable if you can find one. I also have a Mesa Dual Rec. The amp distortion on the Metaltronix is WAY better.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:42 pm

I dont think Line6 would be that great if you want to keep the cabinet, because the modelled sounds mainly need neutral sounding speaker, like, well, in line6 cabinets, i wouldnt be too sure if it sounds good.. never tried it though.

I would look for a used tube amp i think...
Delusions Of Grandeur

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:34 am

I stand by the Metaltronix. Check it out.

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:23 pm

I recommend finding that JCM 2000 used and retubing it, both preamp and power amp. Marshall amps really start living after the original crappy chinese Marshall-labeled preamp tubes get some quality replacements. It will be better than new, I can assure that.

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:43 pm

The JCM 2000 is alright. The distortion isn't really tight on that amp. If you would get that amp, I would recommend JJ EL34s for tubes.

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:30 am

For the distortion is exactly why I suggested new preamp tubes. I found a perfect setup using JJ ECC83 tubes for the first 2 stages and EH 12AX7 for last ones. JJ's add lots of gain and tighter bottom end and EH tubes make the reverb sound better and drive the power amp phases more balanced.

Twilightsymphony

Post by Twilightsymphony » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:09 am

i dont necessarily want to open a new topic for this:

Has anyone tried the (almost) new Vox AD50? i just need it at home, so i´m kinda interested.
Delusions Of Grandeur

neonlightchild

Post by neonlightchild » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 am

Go for Line6...as simple as that :wink:

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:07 pm

My friend actually picked up a small (30 w) Line 6 Spider II combo for some in-room practising... actually sounds really damn good. The Flextone series I imagine would sound better, but I was impressed by the little Spider.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!