How to become a good drummer?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
-=Bulbin=-
How to become a good drummer?

Post by -=Bulbin=- » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:07 pm

Well, I've been playing drums for about 7 years now. I feel that my technique has improved alot during these years, but now it feels like I'm stuck. Does anyone know any hints or exercises that could improve my drumming? It might be good for you to know that I'm mainly playing metal of different kinds. :) But i guess that it's good to be able to play all sorts of music. :)

DW5000AD3

Re: How to become a good drummer?

Post by DW5000AD3 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:06 am

if you want more speed.....listen to vital remains, its the fastest drumming i`ve heard up to date, take a look at the "deschristianize" song.
"Theater Of Salvation"

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:11 am

Looking at it as a musician, start playing lots of strange rhythms and patterns, and become fluent with many different time signiatures. Drums arent all about playing fast. Also, look up a thing called 'DYNAMICS' it's something I've yet to encounter a drummer knowing what they are (sorry to generalise, but it's true).
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:40 am

A good educational video can make a lot too. I'd recommend Progressive Drum Concepts by Mike Portnoy.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:50 am

MaFiaBoY wrote:A good educational video can make a lot too. I'd recommend Progressive Drum Concepts by Mike Portnoy.
I knew you'd say that :D

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:56 am

NeonVomit wrote:
MaFiaBoY wrote:A good educational video can make a lot too. I'd recommend Progressive Drum Concepts by Mike Portnoy.
I knew you'd say that :D
Yeah, it sounds a bit like advertising :D But I tell you a good video can help you a LOT to improve, much more than just music. Of course Portnoy's is not the only god one, check out videos by Gregg Bissonnette or Thomas Lang, they are awesome too.
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

DW5000AD3

Post by DW5000AD3 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:00 am

Bulbin, dont waste your time watching the mike portnoy clinics(i`ve seen three of them ), he is not a very good drummer to learn with. those famous "complicated patterns" that most of people say have all the same technique, 5/4.....3/4.......7/4........etc etc....maybe you should just take one try watching.

to become the master of drummers, you need technique, speed, and imagination...yes only those 3 things powered at max :wink:

take a look a Dennis Chambers, an extremely good Drummer, maybe the best one i`ve seen on hands technique.
he has speed, technique, and good imagination too.

In general... you should try to learn the techniques of jazz and metal styles, there you can get the technique and the speed at max, after that just make your way making your own style. :)
bye and have a good time learning drums.
"Theater Of Salvation"

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:25 am

-=Bulbin=- wrote:Well, I've been playing drums for about 7 years now. I feel that my technique has improved alot during these years, but now it feels like I'm stuck. Does anyone know any hints or exercises that could improve my drumming? It might be good for you to know that I'm mainly playing metal of different kinds. :) But i guess that it's good to be able to play all sorts of music. :)
Join a band??
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

-=Bulbin=-

Post by -=Bulbin=- » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:47 am

Woah, thanks for all the tips! I've seen some drum-instruction movies and yes, they are pretty good. But it's one thing to look at someone doing something and a completely different thing to do it yourself. I'm trying to get influences from all kinds of music now, so I'll be able to vary my drumming more. I'm playing in a thrashmetal band right now, and soon I will start playing in my old powermetal band again. :) If someone comes up with more ideas, don't hesitate to write! :)

(by the way, I'm just 17 years old so I got some time to get better aswell :))
Music is what I breathe, eat and sleep. It's life.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:01 pm

-=Bulbin=- wrote:Woah, thanks for all the tips! I've seen some drum-instruction movies and yes, they are pretty good. But it's one thing to look at someone doing something and a completely different thing to do it yourself. I'm trying to get influences from all kinds of music now, so I'll be able to vary my drumming more. I'm playing in a thrashmetal band right now, and soon I will start playing in my old powermetal band again. :) If someone comes up with more ideas, don't hesitate to write! :)

(by the way, I'm just 17 years old so I got some time to get better aswell :))
Ok in this order, learn about:

Jazz drums
Latin drums
Javanese Gamelan.
If you want to learn more about different kinds of music, these are the ones that will benefit you the most for playing drums

Ole

Post by Ole » Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:46 am

NeonVomit wrote: Also, look up a thing called 'DYNAMICS' it's something I've yet to encounter a drummer knowing what they are (sorry to generalise, but it's true).
Haha! That is sooo true! And what is it about drummers arms and hands? They seem to never stay at one place for more than a second :P
Blah!

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sat May 14, 2005 7:08 pm

Well, I began to have more technic playing some jazz patterns and learning different ethnics music styles...mambo, samba, rumba, arabian music, chinese, african ones, slavish ones, etc...that helps a lot to have a personnality in your game. :wink:
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun May 15, 2005 3:03 pm

Definately. Very good approach.

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Tue May 17, 2005 7:28 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Definately. Very good approach.
Thank you! :wink:

Well, when I was a student in the music school of my city, I had a trumpettist as a drums and percussions teacher. He was a great musician and teached me all what I know now...He played with some great bands and artists as Johnny Hallyday, Nicoletta, Sylvie Vartan and so many others and, especially, with André Cecarrelli, the greatest Jazz drummer ever! :) And this teacher told me that I should first to learn all the different rythms in this world...I did and now I can almost have a personnality in my game... :elk:
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:27 am

I'm also a drummer. I'd say to get good: Learn how to read music, learn your rudiments, practice your double bass, gain independence between your arms and legs, vary yourself rhythmically. I guess those are some alright tips. I could probably think of more.