Whats your playing style?

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
StragOvariuS
Whats your playing style?

Post by StragOvariuS » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:43 pm

Following the topic about TT playing style...i decided make this one about OUR style.

So, tell to us what's your playing style. Neoclassical? Dirty? Clean? Simple ? hehe...anyway...describe your way to play.

I'll put mine later.
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

Patricia

Re: Whats your playing style?

Post by Patricia » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:27 pm

Hey Strago interesting idea...hehe...

Well, i play a little bit guitar and to be honest i've never asked to myself the question about the specific style i played...Of course, i've chosen to play Heavy Metal :D ... but after to say a specific style like Symphonic or Neo-Classical Metal, i don't really know...I try to compose what it comes and then after, i chose what i want to keep for my songs...
I'm not a solist cause i'm not enough good to do that, but i'm a correct rythmic guitar-player tough..
My guitar is an electric Washburn N2 model.. I've bought it in 1994.
But as you know, i play only a little bit guitar, as i've chosen to sing since almost 4 years now..As i love to sing.. :wink:
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:47 pm

thats hard to answer... i try to play as many strato songs (stratosphere, stratofortress, black diamond, speed of light, eagleheart, no turning back, sos, distant skies, 4000 rainy nights, twilligth sympnony [NOTE ON TRY I CANT PLAY AS FAST OR AS FLUIDLY AS TOLKKI.... YET 8) ]) as i can, a little megadeth, some sonata, nightwish is ok, and currently trying to learn steve vai

i cant play really fast without fuking up accuracy and cleanness, but at a mid to fast tempo i manage, im good with single string timing like stratosphere and the solos in black diamond and no turning back, getting better on standard scales, speed of light and eagleheart to some extent, i really really suck at sweep picking and arpegios

i can play nearly perfectly eagleheart, sos, no turning back, speed of light (except the middle solo, and the one string solo since i cheat by sliding continously), most of stratosphere, and everything but the solo in twillight symphony

nigthwish i can play end of all hope and crimson tide (the only ones ive really tried, sort of easy songs compared to strato)

SA i TRY balck sheep (its more like tumbling through at 150 instead of 192), 8th commandment, and full moon

megadeth i try trust, ashes in your mouth and sweating bullets

and lastly the trooper by maiden :twisted:
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:11 pm

mm probably my style is neoclasical, or something like that

Im still learning ( im just 15 years old ), my style is composed of minor and minor, mayor, diminished, melodic minor and some others. 2,3,4,5,6 string arpeggios, alternate picking and right now im working on string skeeping.

This WONT be my final style, im just exploring this style now... later ill explore more "modal" scales and some ill try to do some rare stuff jeje, i have some crazy ideas.

I have a washburn mercury and i use 0.9 dadario strings :P

Influences: STRATOVARIUS, malmsteen, kapel maister, rhapsody, rata blanca, symphony x, dream theater and some others, and ofcurse my guitar teacher!

MaFiaBoY

Post by MaFiaBoY » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:22 pm

My bandmates tell me my drumming style is a mix between Cozy Powell, Nick Mason and John Bonham (needless to say, this is very exagerated, I can't play half as well as any of these guys :D).
Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated ~desu

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:46 pm

at what tempo are you most confortable?
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:15 am

My style is similar to a mix of Michael Romeo, Yngwie Malmsteen, Tolkki, Andy La Rocque, Joe Stump and Greg Howe.

Jack

Post by Jack » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:01 am

JacK

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:19 pm

Well, my turn now.

I believe that my style is dirty, like Janick Gers. im not used to create solos because i never stopped to study scales, harmonies or something...call me lazy ass for that! :D but, im always doing some exercises for velocity and alternate picking.

Also...im more into Maiden, Strato, Sodom and Motorhead style, i mean, in my riffs...thats a cool mix! hehe.

Nowadays im thinking to study classical guitar on a music school that is a partner of Berklee school, its 3 years and seems nice. I always dreamed to play Moonlight sonata on my guitar. (oh, dreams...so far away :roll: )
:wink:

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:13 pm

acustic or electric guitar?

theFabz

Post by theFabz » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:39 pm

i dont really know what my style is. i play heavy metal and write my own music, but lately i've been writing some weird rock-like songs with mellow melodies. lol i'll post my stuff here on the forums someday

StragOvariuS wrote: I always dreamed to play Moonlight sonata on my guitar. (oh, dreams...so far away :roll: )
it's quite a simple song to play!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/b ... ta_tab.htm

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:05 am

stratoplayer wrote:acustic or electric guitar?
I have them both...but i'll change my acoustic one.

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:05 am

It's actually quite complex, though it isnt RIDICULOUSLY hard. That tab is also grossly incomplete... then again, it's actually tabbed on the d-minor scale like its supposed to be played, and not the a-minor like other tabs are.

Find one of the a-minor tabs and throw a capo on the fifth. (though you may want to play a few chords from the tab on different strings, the tabs i found had some unnecessarily difficult chords, when moving up or down a string makes them much easier to play)

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:07 am

theFabz wrote:
StragOvariuS wrote: I always dreamed to play Moonlight sonata on my guitar. (oh, dreams...so far away :roll: )
it's quite a simple song to play!
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/b ... ta_tab.htm
Not so much man :wink: i have an mp3 with 12, 14 minutes and have a solo that its so much fucking hard and fast :shock: the beginning i know how to play.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:12 am

speaking of classical music, there are two i would really like to play, bethoveen's 5ft a la Malmsteen and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm, any one know any tricks or tabs to help me out...?

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:22 am

I found a tab for the 5th a la malmsteen awhile ago, i learned bits and pieces of it (some parts were pretty boring to play). As for the other, Ive never found one.

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:19 pm

stratoplayer wrote:speaking of classical music, there are two i would really like to play, bethoveen's 5ft a la Malmsteen and Bach's Toccata and Fugue in Dm, any one know any tricks or tabs to help me out...?
Well it seems that we have some things in common!
I REALLY would LOVE to play toccata and fugue in D minor.. but some partes a little bit speed up ( the fugue ).
Also the turkish march :)
I have an mp3 of kapel maister live where gonzalo ( guitar player ) starts playing a improvised solo and he plays a little bit of the turkish march, really cool

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:19 pm

wow, cool

in infinite visions, jens starts to improvize in the Chile gig, i could have swore he played part of the fugue which blended seamlessly into black diamond

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:50 pm

Well, I play bass and I guess my style is sort of a sick-cross section of John Myung (in terms of the tapping stuff), Jari Kainulainen (in terms of runs and fills) and Billy Sheehan (in terms of right hand technique) and a lot of double bass-style phrasing (I also play double bass or contrabasso, as it's also known). I also find myself using a lot of bluesy patterns.

But my style depends on which of my basses Im playing. If im playing on my Ibanez 6-string, I tend to be more clean and try to get a more crisp, sharp tone. If I'm playing my 4-string Washburn, I cover it with distortion and gain and a ton of low end and play very chaotically. Guess it goes for it.

Of course I can't play nearly as well as any of those guys, but I try. I'm going into my second year of music at university in London, so the more stuff I learn hopefully the better I get.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

ciruelo

Post by ciruelo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:09 am

i play dirty... but not the guitar

jojo :lol:

just joking i play the keyboard :D

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:01 pm

ill just say this stuff in spanish because i dont how to in english

I can play in "SEMICORCHEAS" at a tempo of 170 (with effort ) and im confortable at 110.

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:49 am

if we're talking about guitars, my playing style is completely non-existant!

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:17 am

at home I play every style it comes to my fingers, classical, rock, jazz, blues, just to have fun.

With bands I played at my begginings 50's 60's rocks and blues , playing keyboards and guitars, and now I play keyboards in a hard-rock band (what the hell is hard-rock anyways??) I can't name just one band, its a mix of Purple, Aerosmith, Van Halen, GnR, and a bit of neoclasical... its not a very accurate thing what we do

http://www.seras-hardrock.com.ar if you want to listen some

Canadian Castrato

Post by Canadian Castrato » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:59 pm

Maestro Pero style is Neo-Classical/Prog

www.maestropero.com

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:56 am

any metal keyboards....power metal/death metal/jazz even...i love playing strato and bodom! (yngwie is fun sometimes)

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:51 pm

MikesiteX wrote:any metal keyboards....power metal/death metal/jazz even...i love playing strato and bodom! (yngwie is fun sometimes)
Never heard much keyboards in Death metal, apart from Dark Tranquility... Black Metal, I think Morfeus of Limbonic Art is the best I've heard.

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:59 am

well isn't children of bodom and skyfire death metal bands? or melodic death metal whatever hahaha they have awesome keys

MetalManiac

Post by MetalManiac » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:40 pm

Actually, I can't tell anything more specific about my playing technique: I just thrash my drums in.
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning."

Leo

Post by Leo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:46 pm

Music that I am inspired of like: Dimmu Borgir, Stratovarius, Dream Theater and som barok stuff....

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:14 pm

MikesiteX wrote:well isn't children of bodom and skyfire death metal bands? or melodic death metal whatever hahaha they have awesome keys
CoB is NOT death metal. It's power metal with angry-teenager vocals.