Guitar playing vs Keyboard playing

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
stratoplayer
Guitar playing vs Keyboard playing

Post by stratoplayer » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:44 am

since this board si dying down (shame on you) i thougth it would be nice to start a new debate topic
ok ill start

advantages of a guitar
several effects without fancy electronics
more widespread in metal bands

im placing guitar advantages only (i.e. not saying guitars can go way fast)
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Aresius

Re: Guitar playing vs Keyboard playing

Post by Aresius » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:44 am

I think that guitar playing is better because you can put all your feeling, it has so much expretion because is a string instrument and you can make vibratos, bends...ect
Only a few keyboard players have the ability to play with a lot feeling, the other just press keys.
Jens ofcurse is one of the, one of the only ones :)

khamael

Post by khamael » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:58 am

stratoplayer wrote: (i.e. not saying guitars can go way fast)

hey dude i think you lost a point...rythmically in metal style playing guitar can go faster sure...
At least "soloing" speaking keys can go faster...

This remind me something Jens said in an interview...
JLP: More generally, due to the difference in the instrument, in which ways are keyboard and guitar solos different? (Am I clear enough? It's a bit difficult for me to phrase this as clearly as the question is in my head?)

JJ: Well, you can play a lot faster on a keyboard, so you have to be careful there so you don't play too fast. On the guitar you can get so much more emotion across, so with guitar maybe you have to be careful to put some thought in there as well.
here the link for the interviews section:
http://www.panix.com/~jens/interviews.par

I agree totally with Jens on this.

You have advantages and disadvantages in both instruments.
We laugh a lot with my guitarist when we found things that you can do with the keyboard easily and that are really hard to reproduce on a guitar. And vice-versa obviously...
Some things instead are IMPOSSIBLE to do...(or nearby).

Sometimes i envy my guitarist (especially when he play fucking fast and heavy riff), sometimes playing "arpeggios" or "scales" in the range of 5 octaves, i feel in paradise, and the envious his him...

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:02 pm

I love that about keyboards! the 5 octaves thing!

For example the "Ariadna project" keyboard player ( jens recorded a song of them in the Bariliari solo album, the song is " las sombras quedaran atras " ) makes some really long arpeggios trough the whole 5 octaves, i love it :)

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:19 pm

khamael i meant guitars going fast like dragon force, riffs and such, i know that keys have the ability to go much faster since you use 10 fingers
compared to the guitars 4 (5 if you tap with your right hand)
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Jackal Hunter

Post by Jackal Hunter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:07 am

stratoplayer wrote: i know that keys have the ability to go much faster since you use 10 fingers
compared to the guitars 4 (5 if you tap with your right hand)
U can get 8 fingers in there if u use 2-hand tapping! Pretty difficult though...

Aresius

Post by Aresius » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:46 am

its verry difficult that thing of 8 fingers tapping... but ill do it some day, its really cool.

It would by a 8t notes arpeggio with 8 fingers :)

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:39 pm

that would be insane... imagine what kind of noise you could make when playing like Van Halen in Eruption... holy crap :shock:

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:28 am

I listen to Highlord, they have some awesome guitar/keyboard duels in their songs, but i still favour guitars.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:07 pm

do you play guitar?

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:17 pm

Aresius wrote:I love that about keyboards! the 5 octaves thing!

For example the "Ariadna project" keyboard player ( jens recorded a song of them in the Bariliari solo album, the song is " las sombras quedaran atras " ) makes some really long arpeggios trough the whole 5 octaves, i love it :)
hahaha he used to be my keyboards proffesor!! I saw a video of Ariadna yesterday!

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:24 pm

Anyways I beleive they're equal... it depends who's behind the instrument :lol: , guitar has a very cool sound, impossible to emulate with a keyboard (I mean doing riffs) you can tell when its a "fake guitar", but you can manage to "lie" a lil playing your keyboard with a guitar sound for soloing (arpeggios sounds way more clean and perfects)

Bends? Keyboards can bend a lot! I mean bend a hole octave!*, and of course the common bends that makes it sound with "feel"
*Guitars can also if the use a pedal efect

And a guitar can emulate a keyboard as well, plugged with a MIDI, they sound terrificly awesome... I saw Vai using it last year at the G3... or Queens guitarrist (Brian May was it?) when soloing in "I want to break free"... it sounds excelent

Its a waaaaay too long discussion, I post more later

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:41 pm

No worries, were not going anywher :)

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:30 pm

stratoplayer wrote:do you play guitar?
I've played bass for like two weeks. Why you ask?
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:24 pm

cuz, there is a difference between liking guitars because you play them and liking their sound (just curious)

Just a Vampire

Post by Just a Vampire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:36 pm

To me, both have advantages and disadvantages. The keyboard is great 'cause the keyboard have more scales and more sounds than the guitar. and with a synthetiser, you can poduce the sound of a piano, a guitar, a violin, etc. And you can play with feelings. I think that if you can't put your whole heart when yopu play music, you better don't do that. Maybe a keyboard would appear to be a mechanical instrument, and maybe it could be, but a real musician put his feelings in his /her instrument, despite if it's a guitar, a bass guitar, a keyboard, a drums kit or your voice (in the voice case, the feeling does counts more than in the other ones). That's the case of Jens.
the guitar have the advantages of the movements, i.e: you can produce a sound when you move your hand up, and another one if you move the hand down. with a keyboard, you can't do that. And the guitar can become more expressive than the keyboard sometimes, 'cause the guitar, more often than the keyboards, does carry the melodic line and the motivation of the song. (the keyboard also can do that, but is not as often as the guitar does). And the pedals, the glissando, the riffs, the vibrato, and that things. The vibrato is a lil different in the keyboars, but we (I'm a keyboard player) can also do that. and again, the feeling does counts a lot. that's the case of Timo Tolkki, and the other guitar heroes (don't remember the names now)

to me, there is no comparison, 'cause they're different instruments.

@stratoplayer: +1
"now he knows his father betrays
now his wings turns to ashes to ashes his grave"

Iron Maiden: Fligth of Icarus

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:06 pm

I can do the 8-finger tapping thing on bass :D And play some pretty messed up stuff on bass many guitarists can't copy :D :D

I really have no life :cry:
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:33 am

keyboards are a lot cheesier. btw this is a good thing :)

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:01 am

yeah totally diff instuments...i can do on the synth what most guitarists can't even dream of doing, and vice versa (rapid picking anyone?)

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:45 pm

yo can do a rapid picking in a synth!

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:04 am

not as fast as you can on guitar! =P the keys won't come up fast enough hehe, even the lightest weighed ones

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:20 pm

I'm not sure... taping one key alternating fingers ( 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2 1 2) works for me... how fast are you talking about?

anyways you can cheat with a tremolo effect :P

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:55 am

cheater cheater, pants on fire! haha no one really uses that anyway =)

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:50 am

I have to say I was wrong , you can't do it as fast as guitars (I tried even with both hands doing it histerically :lol: )

who needs to do that anyways ..... :P ...... :cry:

:lol:

khamael

Post by khamael » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:59 pm

On keys you surely cant play an E-0 as fast as a guitarist can!At least not in an as long period of time! Try to play Stratospheres at 185 bmp eheheh(maybe drinkin 20 coffees being in bersek mode you can do that but breaking the keyboard at the same time! :lol: )

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:42 am

yeah, maybe with a pair of drumsticks! hehe

khamael

Post by khamael » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:58 pm

:lol: yes.....

Holy Light

Post by Holy Light » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:51 am

I think both rule and you can learn much from each instrument and apply it to the other.

Me, My Enemy

Post by Me, My Enemy » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:41 am

Well, I also think guitars have much more feeling because of bendings, but with some keyboards one can create nice feelings as well, if one tries to imagine them as a piano and uses them as a piano not as a play-as-fast-as-possible-dudldidudl
Anyway I ask myself why are so very few (e) pianos used any comparitively more keyboards. On a piano one can also go very fast (listen to Moonlight Sonata pt 3) and one can put more feelings in a song than with a keyboard. Because of the pedals and also because...it simply works different pressing the keys, you can do it in such a different way to make one note sound so different. On a keyboard that's only a bit possible imo.
So i'd say...if one compares keys & guitar I prefer guitar - a lot. But piano and guitar...both would come equal to me approximately...but maybe still guitar would win because it simply rocks sooo much :lol:
Like a glacier melting
watch me dissipate
I looked for love in an empty world
but all I found was hate

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:20 pm

With keyboards you get use of those grand multimillion dollar church organs and instruments don't get any more amazing than that. With keyboards all sorts of programs can be programmed in that can really make a lot of use out of single notes. Guitar and keyboards are great complements to each other and each provides great contributions towards wonderful music. Not sure a debate of conveying feelings comes in but I think the piano/organ/keyboards do a better job at being a solo instrument in conveying a mood. I mean how many songs in soundtracks do we hear that just have a single string instrument verses ones that just have a piano? aince a paino can play bass chords and melody at the same time it can count for many sounds and instroments.