Old electric organs

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
Ahlimatainen
Old electric organs

Post by Ahlimatainen » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:00 am

I'm not really a keyboard player or so, but I'm kind of thinking about getting an electric organ. Some people are selling them for like 10 dollars, so it seems like a good deal. But what bothers me is really that they might be utter crap.

I have tested one, but that was like a top of the line organ, so I really need your help :roll:

MikesiteX

Re: Old electric organs

Post by MikesiteX » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:24 am

hmm i dunno, i tried organs but i find keyboard simulations of organs to be much better....so just find a synth with a good organ sound and buy it!

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:59 pm

But those are much more expensive then these.

If I had like 100$ I would buy a DX7 or something but I don't.

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:59 pm

Just get a proper full-blown organ :D
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:08 pm

I would, honestly I would.

But there's a small yet important problem with that...I live in a flat, so that pretty rules out anything noisy

iron_thunder

Post by iron_thunder » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:07 am

HA we have a family friend who has an organ in her basement... a church was being torn down or something so she took the organ.. wtf. she's nuts.

anyway, that doens't help...

ahlimateinen, are you thinking of getting a rhodes piano or a hammond organ or something??

heh yea i guess living in an apartment might cause some issues of space..

www.sacredembrace.com
www.myspace.com/sacred_embrace_webzine

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:47 am

To have a keyboard, I'm sorry to announce that you can't have a new one under 1000€, it means around 1100$...But, I'm sure you'll find an occasion one around 400€/500$.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:35 pm

I mean: In the 80 (I think) alot of electric organs were sold, and now people want to get rid of them.

This means that they sell them at prices that are really low like for 50$ and lower.

It would probably be smarter if I bought a Dx7 or something like that for 80$...

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:56 am

how much do you know about keyboards?

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:31 pm

I'm not really a keyboard player...

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:36 pm

Ahlimatainen wrote:I'm not really a keyboard player...
You're a beginner, then. And why would you buy a DX7? There are also many other analogic synths and keys...but, not under 500€.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:15 am

Becouse their really cheap... and I ment 80£

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:06 am

well.. if you're a begginer a DX7 may be too much to handle
, what you mean I guess are those cheap 80's cheap casio/yamaha some of them are good, others are no more than toys

there was a popular one casio ct 180 I beleive that was a standard one

What I would do If I were you:

ask a keyboardist friend of yours, he/she surely will start saying that none of those old keyboards have sensitivity, or that they sound pretty bad (I mean, for your self estim you CAN'T play a gig with them) but if you truly feel the music flowing through your veins, what the hell give it a shot and buy a cheap one, imagine if you don't like it and end up having a YamahaDX7 that you never use? (I'll envy you to hell if you do that)

Then if you make up your mind and choose to buy one, try them first, don't buy without listening, there are a lot of diferent keyboards.

are you going to buy them via internet? (ebay etc) or a store?

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:25 pm

No, there is almost always somebody almost giving away a polisix or whatever nearby... Anyhow!! You asked if I felt music in my vains and since I have been playing the guitar for some years now, I guess I do :D... I am not a total freshment.. I do play some easier Bach stuff and so on...

You could be right about not getting stuff that's over my head... I know by ear that the Dx7 more or less needs a nuclear scientist or Jens Johansson(Maybe almost the same thing)...

Perhaps I should just stick to the cheap electric organs :P

PS I mostly play Bach stuff and that means that it's essential to have a good organ sound DS

PSS http://www.annonsdirekt.se/asp/soegning ... id=3794345 This is a link to one of them... its in Swedish, but the price is 900 kr wich is 100$ DSS

khamael

Post by khamael » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:29 pm

MikesiteX wrote:hmm i dunno, i tried organs but i find keyboard simulations of organs to be much better....so just find a synth with a good organ sound and buy it!
how a blasphemy, Jens wouldnt be proud of you dude... :lol:

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:05 am

100 bucks??? are they so cheap there??? ask the seller if its broken or something, it is insanely cheap IMO, that's the price I paid for a used/broken 90's Kawai K1 II

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:26 pm

No, they are really cheap here... a Polysix is more expensive though... other old school synths cost like 200 bucks I think... some cost a bit more.
Almost all the "DX" synths cost like 100 - 200 bucks

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:40 pm

that's great.... well I don't know, check out the preseted sounds of it, maybe the ex owners ones (I don't know if you can reset the memory), " MikeSiteX" knows, ask him if its conveniable

Llageran

Post by Llageran » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:47 pm

For a start I guess anything is good. I had a Yamaha DSR-2000, and I have seen it go for under $50....and that one was good enough. I actually still use it as a controller for my Roland XV-3080. The sounds is basically the same as the DX7. The sounds are not exceptional but OK, and it only has 8-notes polyphony.
That's the keys I learned to play on.

miditek

Post by miditek » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:25 am

Ahlimatainen wrote:I'm not really a keyboard player or so, but I'm kind of thinking about getting an electric organ. Some people are selling them for like 10 dollars, so it seems like a good deal. But what bothers me is really that they might be utter crap.I have tested one, but that was like a top of the line organ, so I really need your help :roll:
Miguel_Ricardo had some good suggestions- a DX7 is very sophisticated, and I'm afraid you might get frustated with it. Also, the organ sounds on it are a little too thin for my tastes, although I must say that it's certainly a classic instrument.

Here's my suggestion-

Find any decent 61-key unit with MIDI ports to use as your controller, it could be anything, for that matter. For really good organ sounds, I'd recommend that you shop around for an older Korg 05RW (half-rack space)sound module, as they were fairly inexpensive when they were new, or anything in the "O", "X", "Wavestation" series that you can find.

If you come across something like an older Korg X5 61
key keyboard, you can disregard the suggestion above, as it can function both as your controller and it also has a similiar "sound engine" as the "O" series.

I feel that beginning with the Korg M1 series, the products had read a level of maturity to where their sounds will sort of always be good, and I'm particularly fond of Korg's organ patches.

If Bach is what you're wanting to play, I don't think that you'd be disappointed with the right Korg unit. The new stuff is great, but too pricey. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a good deal on the web.

Here's a brief product description

http://www.cleverjoe.com/synths/o5rw.html

Also, the built-in dual digital effects processors on most Korg "O" and "X", etc. series are also very impressive, almost like getting a "free" Korg multi-FX rack unit thrown in. With a bit of tweaking of the organ patches and FX processors, you should be able to get a very respectable "cathedral" type of sound at a price that won't break the bank.

Many of these modules have a headphone jack, which I'm sure that the neighbors will also appreciate!