HERMAN LI IS AN ALIEN!!!

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
FakeTolkki
HERMAN LI IS AN ALIEN!!!

Post by FakeTolkki » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:21 am

WELL, I MADE THIS TOPIC BECAUSE OF ALL GREAT GUITAR PLAYERS IVE SEEN I THINK THAT HERMAN MAKE THE MOST IMPOSSIBLE SOLOS IVE EVER HEARD....ITS JUST IMPOSSIBLE TO DO WHAT THAT GUY DOES...WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Dave

Re: HERMAN LI IS AN ALIEN!!!

Post by Dave » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:43 pm

Are we talking about the same Herman Li?
Spamming is serious business!

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:35 pm

Herman Li is very technically skilled indeed, but unfortunately doesn't seem to grasp the concept of melodic control, phrasing or structure. He uses A LOT of effects and a pitch shifting pedal, which makes what he plays sound 'impossible'. They would be impossible without effects.

I think Sam Totman is a far better soloist. His solos are much more memorable and he makes better use of thematic material, and he generally seems to be more capable of expressing himself.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

nepi

Post by nepi » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:13 pm

I think the speed is not the most important thing of a solo. Of course it is not easy to play a solo as fast as he does but the melody must also fit to the music and the song.

Herman plays only fast solos including in the ballads, but if you see Tolkki, he has a lot of slow solos¨...
you can't kill my dreams
you can't kill my spirit
I was born to be FREE!

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:49 pm

IMHO, the best guitarist is the one who can transmit emotions through his playing. And the best guitar player for that will ever be Timo Tolkki. It's really impressive how much emotion he can put into a solo. I'm positively shocked every time I hear his solos! Moreover, TT is playing very technically too. In an another way, of course, but he's also one of the best technicians ever! Herman Li is great, but there is no emotion, no life, in his solos. His parts are artificials! And I don't like that.
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:49 pm

I have acually met both herman and sam(although i have met everyone else in the band also)... Anyhow, NeonVomit is 100% correct! They totaly missed out on dynamics and texture. They acually said "slow music is gay"... Sure this was when Sam was soooo wasted, but anyway it doesnt suprise me coming from dragonforce... So no Herman li is not the best guitarist or whatever you said... it might seem so if you arent a musician.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Ahlimatainen wrote: They acually said "slow music is gay"... Sure this was when Sam was soooo wasted
I've run into him on about 5 seperate occasions (once at the Strato gig, in fact) and he was totally smashed each time :lol: :lol: :lol:

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:00 am

MetalAngel wrote:IMHO, the best guitarist is the one who can transmit emotions through his playing. And the best guitar player for that will ever be Timo Tolkki. It's really impressive how much emotion he can put into a solo. I'm positively shocked every time I hear his solos! Moreover, TT is playing very technically too. In an another way, of course, but he's also one of the best technicians ever! Herman Li is great, but there is no emotion, no life, in his solos. His parts are artificials! And I don't like that.
Steve Vai is much better at transmitting emotion on his "talking" guitar, and Van Halen and John Petrucci both make more complicated and technical phrasing than TT, BUT I just love TT's style, he drove me into playing guitar and I heartily welcome him for it and he is the biggest influence in my plaing style, along with Weikath, Grapow, Petrucci and Liimatainen

All of this is IMO btw
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

Stealth

Post by Stealth » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:05 am

Blah, as much as I dislike Malmsteen as a person (and I still remember that concert where he ripped us off) he is one of the two greatest guitar players. The other one is, of course, Norifumi Shima of Concerto Moon.
If irony were made of strawberries, we'd all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now.

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:06 pm

What did he do when he ripped you off?... Anyway... I find that Dragonforce can be fun but theyre to into that fast thing... I mean the songs have all got almost the same structure... Theyre great live though

Kain´s seventh son

Post by Kain´s seventh son » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:09 pm

A conclution:

As everything above states, Herman Li is truly an alien :D
Perhaps his visions are just too far from us humans, perhaps he thinks that speed=emotion... and the effect-pursued sound adds it up.
But, I will be precise:
-No emotions in solos
-Uses lots of effects on his solos
-his band thinks slow music is gay
-solos sound impossible (mostly 'couse of the effects)

=Herman Li is an alien.

ps. no, I don't listen Dragonforce, and likely (of what I have heard, a few songs) I never will :wink:
"Even if I walk through all the circles of hell for you, you wouldn't even piss on me. But it's too late, it's too late my dear.
Because I'm already there!"

Protection-Perkele of Stratoforum

The Ruckus Brigade

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:14 pm

You talk about guitar and emotion and nobody is even remembering Satch? Oh my.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:48 am

Jaakko wrote:You talk about guitar and emotion and nobody is even remembering Satch? Oh my.
Yes yes we are remembering him and the other countless amazing guitar players, we're merely citing examples. If there was one post saying 'Oh my, you havn't mentiond so-and-so?' this thread would be virtually endless.

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:01 am

But when I saw them live I really found out that sam is better... Herman has one or 2 solos that are good... but on the cd inhuman rampage herman has a bach inspired malmsteen lick in every song... its a bit enoying

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:42 am

Ahlimatainen wrote:But when I saw them live I really found out that sam is better... Herman has one or 2 solos that are good... but on the cd inhuman rampage herman has a bach inspired malmsteen lick in every song... its a bit enoying
Sam has better ideas, but doesn't have the skill of Herman. Herman is the exact opposite.

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:24 pm

Yeah, but that Bach lick in every Herman solo is SOOOO annoying... Becouse, its like hes addicted to it or something.

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:26 pm

Yeah, but that Bach lick in every Herman solo is SOOOO annoying... Becouse, its like hes addicted to it or something.

Dark Nomad

Post by Dark Nomad » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:29 pm

I'm no guitarist, but i really love Herman's playing and i really love Dragonforce!
'Sky is my roof, my shelter. Stars shine and light my way. Earth is my bed, my alter. On this road that leads to nowhere.'

MikesiteX

Post by MikesiteX » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:02 pm

snnnnnnnnnnko

Ahlimatainen

Post by Ahlimatainen » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:53 pm

It was fun when I talked to Sam a bit after the concert and he said something like: "I'm looking for some chick and there was one in the front roe with all that goth make up and stuff on, but she did some weird thing with her hands *Crosses all his fingers in an un-holyway^^(no just a kinda weird sign or something)*. I think that means like f£!k off in some language or something"... Then this girl with long blonde hair passes by so sais like "nice" and follows her to the bar... kinda weird.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:46 am

Ahlimatainen wrote:It was fun when I talked to Sam a bit after the concert and he said something like: "I'm looking for some chick and there was one in the front roe with all that goth make up and stuff on, but she did some weird thing with her hands *Crosses all his fingers in an un-holyway^^(no just a kinda weird sign or something)*. I think that means like f£!k off in some language or something"... Then this girl with long blonde hair passes by so sais like "nice" and follows her to the bar... kinda weird.
Living the rockstar dream, I see. Well let's hope he doesn't get totally destroyed by the drink. I'm not in a position to judge though.

stratoplayer

Post by stratoplayer » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:35 am

NeonVomit wrote:
Ahlimatainen wrote:It was fun when I talked to Sam a bit after the concert and he said something like: "I'm looking for some chick and there was one in the front roe with all that goth make up and stuff on, but she did some weird thing with her hands *Crosses all his fingers in an un-holyway^^(no just a kinda weird sign or something)*. I think that means like f£!k off in some language or something"... Then this girl with long blonde hair passes by so sais like "nice" and follows her to the bar... kinda weird.
Living the rockstar dream, I see. Well let's hope he doesn't get totally destroyed by the drink. I'm not in a position to judge though.
Sure you are, who the hell isn't?! (and who the hell doesn't if you get technical) But should you judge is an entirely different matter! :wink:
Close your eyes and try to remember, destroyed lullabies of days gone by
Close your eyes on the edge of forever, a chance to dream fast asleep your nightmare ends

StragOvariuS

Post by StragOvariuS » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:16 pm

Impossible?
*cofFRANKGAMBALEALANHOLDSWORTHtonamefewcof....*
Churrasqueiro Reinassance!!!

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:30 pm

well...feeling is something very personal...its just how an individual fells about the playng style of someone...i do prefer timo , and think that there are lots of other better guitar players in a musical way, but realy, technicaly, herman kicks a lot of asses, and ive tried to play some of his stuff....no effect make the stuff he does easy....the guy is awesome, but he doesnt sound so emotional maybe by the fact that he learned all by himself while sam learned with professors

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:32 pm

and i think that the speed he plays doesnt make less feling on his music...but thats just my opinion

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:51 pm

Herman Li => Image
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:06 am

FakeTolkki wrote:and i think that the speed he plays doesnt make less feling on his music...but thats just my opinion
Speed and emotion are not mutually exclusive, look at Tolkki, Vai and Jason Becker, amongst others. Herman just doesn't make any use of coherent thematic material. But what he's saying is 'Hey, that's my style, and if you don't like it, fuck off :D' or something. So who am I to complain?

Also, Jason Becker and Criss Oliva both were self-taught, and had incredibly emotional playing. Being taught academically has nothing to do with expression.

I simply think that Sam is a better guitar player.

Neorave

Post by Neorave » Thu May 18, 2006 5:31 am

XD XD, that definitely sounds like Sam.

@ topic: Hermen is asian, and I would guess most asian people would pick up on string insturments quickly.
Somehow I still have an account...yay...?

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Fri May 19, 2006 2:19 pm

As most of you know i am a big DragonForce fan, and i admit that they don't play with as much melody as they could, they just go for pure speed, which is why they're a speed metal band i guess :? I prefer the speed with the touch of melody even though it's not much, but i know most people prefer slower with melody.

And Sam is never sober.
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Mon May 22, 2006 5:18 pm

theres not much melody, i agree, but thats what make dragonforce an unique band....if they played just like other melodic/power bands, they would never reach the sucess they are having now...and all of them are execelents musicians...maybe zp theart is not a god singer, but the rest of the band kicks ass :x