HERMAN LI IS AN ALIEN!!!

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
NeonVomit
Re: HERMAN LI IS AN ALIEN!!!

Post by NeonVomit » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:44 am

Just chill out, and get over it.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:42 pm

wow someone sure has alot of time on their hands, it seems to me you spend more time on here and not listening and hearing how much dragonforce sucks, and what star ocean says they indeed have no heart just all a gimmick to get loaded off there asses with shitty performances. lets just all agree that if little jack osbourne didnt beg his mama to get them on ozzfest this thread would exist and they wouldnt be considered even comparable to stratovarius and music in general.
Who compares them to stratovarius because the music is completely different? What about their chorus and verses and bridges are a gimmick that is not being done by other bands? Tell me where the acoustic songs have a gimmick. What does popularity have to do with a band being good or bad? Sorry if I want logic and you don’t. So give me a musical education on why their songs aren’t music because I can’t tell how their melodies and rhythm section is non musical while other bands are musical. Do you just hate improve guitar work?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XDXxHRlysDY

here’s a piano version of starfire. Tell me why you guys think this is badly written music

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:23 pm

wow, I read this thread because I'm seeing dragonforce tonight and I think that you guys maybe being overly critical? I mean how much better does a guitarist have to be to be considered good? Granted he's not the best guitar payer in the world, but his playing pretty much encompasses all playing aspects about guitar: tapping, pulling off, sliding, legato, hammer ons, artifical harmonics, cool tremlo work, and yes even uses pedals to create unique sounds. Whoever said he's not good at phrasing needs to take a closer listen especially when they do nothing but phrasing to lead up to their trademark dual solos. I also love how herman goes for those really really high notes. He makes his guitar scream!

I've also met herman before and he said he really likes Strato's "infinite" album

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:26 pm

Burning Reflection wrote:I mean how much better does a guitarist have to be to be considered good? Granted he's not the best guitar payer in the world, but his playing pretty much encompasses all playing aspects about guitar: tapping, pulling off, sliding, legato, hammer ons, artifical harmonics, cool tremlo work, and yes even uses pedals to create unique sounds.
Joe Pass did almost none of those things you mentioned, but he was one of the greatest guitar players ever to live.

It's more complicated than that ;)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:42 pm

To me being a good guitar player means the ability to play chords and scales at various speeds using various techniques. It also means a grasp of technology and peddles to make sound effects. No one has mastered every single possible way to play the guitar .To be able to play any one method makes a guitar player to me. dragonforce has some of my favorite melodys yet so many people comment with a deaf ear to anything in their music. they bhave never replicated themselves yet people say it sounds the same. the "it sounds the same" should not be made into such a goofy phrase that holds no meanings.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:09 pm

Dude, ever song of theirs follows virtually the same structure.

I mean, I understand if you like them. Everyone's got tastes. But I find them too repetitive for my liking, and they just seem to recycle ideas way too much.

That's my opinion though, maybe you find something else in their music that I don't. I haven't listened to their music with a deaf ear, that's for sure. I own 3 of their albums, originals.

And in my opinion, the best guitar player is someone who can speak through their instrument, use it as an extension of their body, mind and spirit and communicate to other people using the language of music. In this language, there are no rules.

But hey, that's just me :P

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:31 pm

I think the main thing that I do with dragonforce is that I change the arrangements up with midi files so I take more of the melody from the songs instead of their specify performance and variation of it. Sort of like with the song marry had a little lamb. There are so many variations that can be made out of it that it can be simple or made into something that dances all over.

Burning Reflection

Post by Burning Reflection » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 pm

NeonVomit wrote:Dude, ever song of theirs follows virtually the same structure.
but you like Stratovarius? :wink:

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:55 pm

now how much are we going to oversimpyify song structure? is this a all songs have a beggining middle and end thing or a
into, outro, solos, bridge, prechourus, time shifts, tempo shifts, chourus, key shifts, volume shifts, order of structure changes every song, number of instroments playing shifts, acapella, backing vocals duels, drum beat shift, hits, and there for all is a formula

heart of a dragon compare to dawn over a new world. id love to know how they hell those two songs could confuse someone unless they are really oversimplyfying dragonforces songs

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:14 pm

Burning Reflection wrote:
NeonVomit wrote:Dude, ever song of theirs follows virtually the same structure.
but you like Stratovarius? :wink:
When Dragonforce put out an album like Elements pt. 1 or Episode, let me know ;)

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:41 pm

Both bands have their own sound and positive lyrics that talk about values and relevant world ishies. If anyone wants to respond with "they sing about dragons" as if dragonforce does use any metaphor or story behind the lyrics sure, miss the point and stay shallow. One does not need to dislike one to like another

KilledByDETH

Post by KilledByDETH » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:06 am

dragonforced :) is way too over hyped that thats really it, just like green day , and nirvana, these bands are just so damn commercial its disgusting the way people hold them up so high.

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:46 am

I can't blame a band that writes music that they enjoy for what the media and the fans do to it. That does not take away from the positive lyrics of the music or the fact that the creators enjoy what they have done. In a thing for their upcoming album they said that the album had 6 fans (the band) and that that was good enough for them. Sit down at a piano or guitar and play their music at a pace want to
and improvise and you might appreciate it a little more.

Emma Frances

Post by Emma Frances » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 pm

That is because they are actually impossible. Studioforce!
myspace.com/keysofflames

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:59 pm

I'm just throwing in my two cents but I think people are way too harsh on Dragonforce, so what they are fast and they are catchy? I never knew there was some unofficial rule that bands HAD to be hard and serious, who in the hell came up with that rule?

Now I'm not making fun of anybody who hates them, If you don't like them it's fine but quit giving the rest of us a hard time for liking them.
Dragonforce works hard at what they do and you either like them for it or you hate them for it.

I've also had the privilage of seeing them live and they are very good on stage so I don't get all the "they are only good in the studio" comments.

So in the end I'll say if you don't like them just stop listening to them and quit giving the people who like them a hard time just because they like a band that you despise so intensly.
metal feeds the beast

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:16 am

DRAGON FORCE FUCKING SUCKS, HE IS NOT AN ALIEN, HE SPEEDS SHIT UP

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:25 am

The answer is simple then, if you don't like it then don't listen to it
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:41 am

hiro23 wrote:The answer is simple then, if you don't like it then don't listen to it
I agree. If you don't like them, why bother posting in this thread? No one forces you to listen to them.

exe knight

Post by exe knight » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:23 am

By the way, isn't his name "Ii"?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:26 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
hiro23 wrote:The answer is simple then, if you don't like it then don't listen to it
I agree. If you don't like them, why bother posting in this thread? No one forces you to listen to them.
I always find it funny, I mean yes I realize everyone has their own opinion however if they hate the band so much there really is no point to posting about them, they should start a thread about bands they do like.

and yes exe knight it is Li
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:55 pm

hiro23 wrote:
Ragehead91 wrote:
I always find it funny, I mean yes I realize everyone has their own opinion however if they hate the band so much there really is no point to posting about them, they should start a thread about bands they do like.
He actually did in his own "I'm new here" Thread.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:16 am

I guess I missed that, either way I agree it's not like anyone is forcing anyone to listen to them.

It's all a matter of choice
metal feeds the beast

fernandotcl

Post by fernandotcl » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:52 am

Bleh, whatever, why should anyone get offended by stuff like this? I think quite a couple bands you guys might love suck big time, and when I say it people shouldn't give a rat's ass cause it shouldn't really matter, right?

Btw, I might see DF live in may... :D

One of my friends went to one of their concerts, and said that despite their singer being ill that day, Li and Sam did great. We'll see.

Personally, I find all their albums great. Ultimate Beatdown was even better than the previous albums. I don't care whether it's speedy or not, I only know I like it and some parts of some songs are simply outstanding.

Other bands or players have also been criticized in the past. Luca Turilli's live performance is always said to be inferior to the expectations (but it seems he's improving). Not being able to have an outstanding live performance doesn't mean the musician isn't great.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:09 am

That's what I'm saying, I mean this is a thread praising Herman Li.

If someone wants to bash on them make a thread criticizing him.
metal feeds the beast

Ragehead91

Post by Ragehead91 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 am

fernandotcl wrote: Other bands or players have also been criticized in the past. Luca Turilli's live performance is always said to be inferior to the expectations (but it seems he's improving). Not being able to have an outstanding live performance doesn't mean the musician isn't great.
I think a musician that playes every song every time perfectly live like he did in the Studio Version doesn't exist.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:25 pm

Ragehead91 wrote:
fernandotcl wrote: Other bands or players have also been criticized in the past. Luca Turilli's live performance is always said to be inferior to the expectations (but it seems he's improving). Not being able to have an outstanding live performance doesn't mean the musician isn't great.
I think a musician that playes every song every time perfectly live like he did in the Studio Version doesn't exist.
I don't think anyone can play something exactly the same way live, sometimes it's better sometimes it's a little worse, just like everything else in the world there are good days and there are bad ones.
What matters is if you put the effort into it
metal feeds the beast

NightScreamer

Post by NightScreamer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:17 am

hiro23 wrote: If someone wants to bash on them make a thread criticizing him.
http://www.stratovarius.com/forum/viewt ... 096#449096

done

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:06 am

I know there are a lot of people who won't agree with me however I do like the fact that both Herman and Sam play fast but also add a lot of melody.

I will add this is just an opinion of mine.
metal feeds the beast

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:52 pm

This thread is stupid.

Dragonforce play with a TON of melody. Who else writes music that has 3 seperate epic choruses?

Herman Li is better guitar player than Sam and writes cooler solos.

Yngwie, Jason Becker, Norifumi Shima, Katsu Ohta, Stephen Forte, and not to mention millions of others are far better tham both Herman Li and Sam.

and as for structure, Power Quest features more restraint and focus.

As for judging who is the more emotional player, the emotion fealt doesn't come from the musician, it comes from the listener. Art works like a mirror and conjures feelings from within the beholder.

Also, If this thread was started by someone who had just discovered this unknown band called Dragonforce some where online, then the responses I would imagine would be much more positive about the band.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:20 pm

I always liked them personally however I have no problem if someone doesn't, however because I respect them for not liking Dragonforce I would like them to respect me.

Just because we like separate bands doesn't mean we can't be friends.
metal feeds the beast