You people who are smarter than I am in recording...

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
Kain´s seventh son
You people who are smarter than I am in recording...

Post by Kain´s seventh son » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:37 am

Tell me some quality programs that can be used on home computers to record, mix and master demo-based songs :) thank you :)

I have some experience in past of programs like soundforge and T-Rax, but we are planning of making some new home-recordings, and thus need new programs :?

Following would be nice:
Drum machine (or similar)
Synth simulation program..
Basic recording/mixing software..
Basic mastering software..
(something else vital to record songs that I can't remember now...) :)

Thank you for co-operation :)
"Even if I walk through all the circles of hell for you, you wouldn't even piss on me. But it's too late, it's too late my dear.
Because I'm already there!"

Protection-Perkele of Stratoforum

The Ruckus Brigade

Lugarid

Re: You people who are smarter than I am in recording...

Post by Lugarid » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:01 am

synth sim - Native Instruments Absynth
mixing/recording - Cakewalk Sonar
mastering/editing - Steinberg Wavelab

these are what I used for demo-ing (note that i don`t have any idea what my keyboard player did to the absynth to make it sound like it did...you'll get the picture if you don't play keyboards). as for drums...i don't really know...btw...you can try Native Instruments Guitar Rig for extra efects on guitar/bass if the players don't have really good processors.

note that all this software costs quite a darn lot and you need a soundcard with ASIO capabilities

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:14 am

audition for recording and mastering

fruity loops for drums

and perhaps Native B4 and FM 7 (or fx 7 was it?) I don't remember the name of the last one

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:25 am

There's also Audacity for mixing... Also Qubase (or something like that, this is what it sounds like :) ) for the drum machine.

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:06 pm

stratobabius wrote:Also Qubase
It's Cubase. :wink:
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

stratobabius

Post by stratobabius » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:09 pm

MetalAngel wrote:
Ok, thanks! :)

Dave

Post by Dave » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:08 pm

I'll enter the studio of my uncle for recording a song tonight, and he's got some drumcomputer, i'll try to find it out its name.
But Fruity Loops is a good alternative.
MetalAngel wrote:
Indeed, but it's not really cheap and not the best app for beginners. But it's the best program i have seen so far.
Spamming is serious business!

MetalAngel

Post by MetalAngel » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:55 pm

Dave wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:
Indeed, but it's not really cheap and not the best app for beginners. But it's the best program i have seen so far.
Indeed. :)
Toutes choses étant égales, par ailleurs, la solution la plus simple est toujours la meilleure.

Spirit Of Metal Webzine : http://www.spirit-of-metal.com

www.myspace.com/metalangelmusic

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:45 pm

Dave wrote:I'll enter the studio of my uncle for recording a song tonight, and he's got some drumcomputer, i'll try to find it out its name.
MetalAngel wrote:
Didn't know you were a musician Dave

Lugarid

Post by Lugarid » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:14 pm

you can use Cubase for mixing/recording also, not only for drumming. I heard about a Steinberg Virtual Drummer, but I never got my hands on that.

Dave

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:45 pm

Miguel_Ricardo wrote:
Dave wrote:I'll enter the studio of my uncle for recording a song tonight, and he's got some drumcomputer, i'll try to find it out its name.
MetalAngel wrote:
Didn't know you were a musician Dave
Now you know it :P

I didn't look up the name of the drumcomputer, i just know that it was by Roland, but anyway, we used a keyboard and a drum sound sampler instead.. That keyboard was much cheapier and easier to use in Cubase, and did basically the same as the drumcomputer.
Spamming is serious business!

Kain´s seventh son

Post by Kain´s seventh son » Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:55 pm

Thanks guys :) we will check those out to see 8)
"Even if I walk through all the circles of hell for you, you wouldn't even piss on me. But it's too late, it's too late my dear.
Because I'm already there!"

Protection-Perkele of Stratoforum

The Ruckus Brigade

Patricia

Post by Patricia » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:50 pm

Kain´s seventh son wrote:Tell me some quality programs that can be used on home computers to record, mix and master demo-based songs :) thank you :)

I have some experience in past of programs like soundforge and T-Rax, but we are planning of making some new home-recordings, and thus need new programs :?

Following would be nice:

I've also heard about SONAR XI. Some friends of mine use this software for recording some demos.
Olen tyytyväinen...Onpa kiva tavata...

miditek

Post by miditek » Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:08 am

Kain´s seventh son wrote:Tell me some quality programs that can be used on home computers to record, mix and master demo-based songs :) thank you :)

Following would be nice:

Drum machines (hardware) are a little clunky, and can be a bit frustrating. I "play" drums via a keyboard controller triggering an e-Mu Procussion sound module, and then use Cakewalk for the sequencing itself.

However, I'd like to make a suggestion if you are new to drum programming/sequencing:

The Jammer by Soundtrack
http://www.soundtrek.com/content/module ... age&pid=23

This is a type of MIDI sequencer that I've used before, but it is an interactive sequencer- I've used it primarily for drums, and you can have all of the drum parts done on a song very quickly with it.

It can do other things, such as bass, etc. and can even combine styles. I use it to get a song started quickly, rather than having to focus on programming a machine, and then getting disinterested in the song due to the machine. The Jammer is great for drums, and it is easy to put it intros, verse, fills, etc. with not too much effort. It is a useful tool that I use occasionally. You can probably download a demo of this for free.

You can export your *.mid files from the Jammer to another sequencer, such as Cubase or Cakewalk.

Often, I'll use MIDI just for scratch tracks and end up replacing MIDI bass and drums with real instruments- other times, I won't. Depends on the situation.

Cakewalk's newest stuff will do both MIDI as well as audio, and should suit your needs. One word of advice on the drums; use a sampler or a dedicated drum module as drum sounds on regular synths can be a bit cheesy, IMHO.

For virutal synths, Edirol- a division of Roland makes some great products, but for now, I typically stick with my Korg keyboards, and E-MU and Roland sound modules. Guess I'm a traditionalist.

Also, what device to you plan to master to? A DAT drive? CD?