Behringer

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
Leo
Behringer

Post by Leo » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:18 pm

I was looking for some effects to my guitar, and then I saw that Behringer has very low prizes.... And then I wonder:
Are they as good as Dunlop, Boss and all the other??

Does anyone know??

Lugarid

Re: Behringer

Post by Lugarid » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:12 am

allthough not very sure, but from what I know, they had a pretty good price to quality ratio, so i guess that if the price is damn low, it might be OK as equipment, but not as good as Boss

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:18 am

With effects the same old rule applies: more money = better sound. I would imagine the cheapest effects mostly suffer from high noise and loss of character in the tone, but if used only to spice things up, why not? Some very good effects have unwanted side effects too, for example a "gain knob" which usually adds noise and decreases character but is still widely used by millions of people. Cheap trick but often does the job.

miditek

Post by miditek » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:12 am

Jaakko wrote:With effects the same old rule applies: more money = better sound. I would imagine the cheapest effects mostly suffer from high noise and loss of character in the tone, but if used only to spice things up, why not? Some very good effects have unwanted side effects too, for example a "gain knob" which usually adds noise and decreases character but is still widely used by millions of people. Cheap trick but often does the job.
Can you get Digitech or Alesis products in your area? They are not too expensive (moderately priced). I used to run an older Digitech 2101 series preamp/fx processor through a reissue Hiwatt Custom 100, and it sounded great.
Κύριε ἐλέησον

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:33 pm

I've had quite a bit of experience with Behringer, and the rule is: you get what you pay for.

I've heard many disaster stories about poor quality control and very fragile equipment from Behringer, but that's one of the reasons the stuff is so cheap. I've never had a piece of Behringer equipment crap out on me, but I have a feeling I've been lucky.

Sound-wise, they're alright. Nothing special, but they get the job done. I wouldn't want to rely on a Behringer product if I had a show every night, for example.

If you don't see your prospective buy having to withsand a lot of abuse or heavy usage, then go for it. I own a Behringer chorus pedal I only use on rare occasions, so buying a Digitech would not have been worth it. I also own the Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro which again, I only use on specific rare occasions, so buying the Line 6 equivalent simply would not have been worth the cash.

Many people see Behringer as cheap copycats who imitate other companies' designs without creating anything new on their own. This is true to an extent, but recently they've made a few clever innovations. I don't see anything wrong with it myself.

Just don't expect a Behringer pedal to last nearly as long, or sound quite as good as a Boss pedal, for example.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

StratoFactor

Post by StratoFactor » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:36 pm

Well, to be honest, Behringer bites, but it is still the best effect that the music world has to offer int htat price category :D It is a totally unreliable, metallica toy that is after a years use on the edge of total collapse (or so I have heard) and they are like the effect worlds Harley Bentons. They are cheap but thats about it. Some say that the Blues Crunchpedal and that metaldistortionpedal don't have any difference in sound...
Aina ei pysty

FakeTolkki

Post by FakeTolkki » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:58 am

i think their ok, but i just saw two gitarrists playng live, sam totman and hrman li from dragonforce. Well, herman uses top line equipments and sam uses beringher, basically the same kind as herman uses, but beringher pedals and stuff. I can simply say that sam totman sounds like shit compared to herman li, and not because of the difference on the techniques between them, but because of the equipment. Whatch the lie at grasspov videos on youtube of dragonforce and you will see what im talking about

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:18 am

Interesting, but the guitarists of Dark Tranquillity when I've seen them used Behringer V-Amp II's into power amplifiers outputting to Marshall 4x12 cabinets, and I must say their sound is quite fantastic.

The V-Amp products are quite highly regarded, actually.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

Nightmare1z

Post by Nightmare1z » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:22 am

I use the G-major Effects Processor in my rack and control it with a Rocktron MIDI Mate. Works really good. Was $400 for the G-major (or you could go G-Force but that's over $1000), but it saves me from having 20 pedals and it's easy to customize and create effects

Jaakko

Post by Jaakko » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:08 am

V-Amp is a good modelling preamp, does pretty much everything Line6 POD does, just cheaper. And Line6 products have never held the reputation of being very rugged build and reliable either. It's all plastic hehe ;)