Studying Music

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
Miguel_Ricardo
Studying Music

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:20 pm

I droped Architecture (2 years) after droping Medicine (1 year), then decided to study music (Arts)

Now I'm being kinda hated here at home, what do you think?

MetalManiac

Re: Studying Music

Post by MetalManiac » Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:54 pm

If you love music and art in general, you made the right decision. Studying music might seem kinda "low-class" to some people who appreciate hard working. But they just don't understand. I am also planning to go studying music, and maybe philosophy too, when I get my studies done here. And if someone hates me because of my choices of education, I just ignore them. Or start questioning theirs. Again, it's your choice and no-one should have anything against it.
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning."

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:05 am

I've completed a degree in Music, my graduation is in a couple of weeks.

One thing that made me different from most people in my year was that I didn't attend university just for the sake of it, or studied so I'd get a piece of paper at the end of it. I went to university to learn more about music. I didn't go there to learn how to play like all my heroes, I could do that at home by myself.

I went through a bit of an issue at home regarding my studies. But I did really well in them, because it was something that I loved. And it is always better to do well in something that you love, than study something that you hate. University isn't just about gaining knowledge and qualifications, it's about becoming yourself, the person that you will offer to society. If you feel you can accomplish that best by persuing studies in music, then that is the only way to go.

I'm sure the people at home will appreciate that. It takes time.
"Beneath the freezing sky arrives Winter's Verge..."

http://www.wintersverge.com

I'm going to hell, and loving the ride!

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:26 am

Do they hate you because you are studying music? Or do they hate you because you dropped medicine, started something else, then dropped architecture, and started something else now?
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:44 pm

hey thanks for the replies!

htcdude: because of both

Martine

Post by Martine » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:49 pm

Are you talking about your parents "hating" you? Quite unbelievable I would say. Did you rather mean to say that your parents are very worried about your professional future?

If so, I think it is quite normal, for most parents who have no connection or relation with music business, to be worried about their kids. Here in Canada, at least in the Province of Quebec, it is very hard to do music on a professional basis and be well paid.

But what you did not tell us is how old you are and if your parents financially support you? If you are about, I don't know, between 25-35, and still live at your parents, well, I think they have a point there. Get out and do something of your life! :D

Anyway, I must say that going from medical school to music school is quite unusual. What happened in between? Why did you change?

In my case, however, I never interfered with my kids' professional interest; they can and will do whatever they want. My 13 years old son even told me that he does not want to go to college after high school since he wants to be a guitar player (it all started with listening to Stratovarius and TT, thanks to him :wink:). Of course, I will then try to pushing him a little bit further so that he goes to college in music (but this is another story).

One would say that your first choice was better as you would have saved many physical lives but one would also say that your last choice is better as you will be saving spiritual lives.

If you are asking us so that you can make your mind, I would certainly say: Follow your heart, but please, leave your parents' house!".

Love you all!

Martine, the Truly French Canadian
http://www.myspace.com/martine42
Martine, The Truly French Canadian
Martine, Une vraie canadienne française
http://www.myspace.com/martine42

StratoRico

Post by StratoRico » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:16 am

Well i understand you perfectly, since i left jurisprudence two years ago, to enter in a music school in milan.
I must say that, i had the same problems you had, my parents were in particualrly worried about, what i was going into, probably a future without nothing of concrete in my hand, but after some times they just realized it was something i'd loved to do, and tell me that if i applied to it seriously and constantly, they were with me, and so they are now.
I think i've been very lucky to get they're comprehension...
Now i'm just one of the most satisfied guys in the world ^^ :P (ok ok, guess it could go better but... it can always be better!!)
Make the best out of your dreams.
They're the world where you are free

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:25 am

I'll be honest with you then, and i'm not having a go at you or anything...but if i had kids and they switched courses whilst in the middle of it, i'd be pretty hacked off with them. Firstly it doesn't look good on your CV when you come to get a job, all the changing makes you look a little unsettled and unsure of yourself. Also unless you are going to use it it's a bit of a waste of time.

About the parents not liking it..i dunno..i guess parents dn't see it as a real profession...if it's what you're sure you want to do though, then pursue it, but make sure you're pursuing it for th right reasons.

There's my opinion :)
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:34 am

You CAN make a decent living as a professional musician, in teaching.

htcdude

Post by htcdude » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:51 am

I know i'm not saying you can't, but a lot of parents think you can't.

Oceanids

Post by Oceanids » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:47 am

Well, I have been studying music for 17 years now. I was one of those strange people who always knew what they wanted to do, and didn't consider majoring in anything else. It was worth it for me, but it is extremely hard work!

I once heard someone say: "The only reason to major in music is if you can't NOT do it." Not a very gramatically correct sentence, but it made sense to me. It is a tough road, but if the love for it is there in your soul, you won't shake it. Go for it!!

Of course, you don't have to "study" music formally at all to make music. In opera is basically a necessity, since it takes time for your voice to mature, the repertoire you sing is much more technically demanding than most music, and you have to learn to resonate with your body- no mics! :) Singing over an orchestra is tough- a certain tone will cut through an orchestra- it's not necessarily about being "loud" at all. But with most other music genres, you simply need the will to improve and be persistent. Training helps of course, but even though I went through TONS of it, I do not belive at all that you MUST be trained to be a good singer/musician.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:39 pm

Oceanids wrote: Training helps of course, but even though I went through TONS of it, I do not belive at all that you MUST be trained to be a good singer/musician.
Very true. Of course, in the classical realm training is essential. I play double bass and with improper technique, you can actually cause yourself physical harm because it is such a large instrument which requires a lot of strength control to play properly. Other instruments are similar, anyone who plays technichally demanding pieces on the piano (such as the transcendential etudes by Liszt or almost anything by Scarlatti) with poor technique and posture can end up giving themselves back problems and tendonitis.

But outside of classical music, one can essentially teach themselves and be something special. Some of the greatest musicians ever never had any form of training.

Having said that, I feel I benefitted from my education in music and that it made me a better musician.

Oceanids

Post by Oceanids » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:54 pm

NeonVomit wrote:
Oceanids wrote: Training helps of course, but even though I went through TONS of it, I do not belive at all that you MUST be trained to be a good singer/musician.
Very true. Of course, in the classical realm training is essential. I play double bass and with improper technique, you can actually cause yourself physical harm because it is such a large instrument which requires a lot of strength control to play properly. Other instruments are similar, anyone who plays technichally demanding pieces on the piano (such as the transcendential etudes by Liszt or almost anything by Scarlatti) with poor technique and posture can end up giving themselves back problems and tendonitis.

But outside of classical music, one can essentially teach themselves and be something special. Some of the greatest musicians ever never had any form of training.

Having said that, I feel I benefitted from my education in music and that it made me a better musician.
I agree completely. :) Trying to sing what I sing now (the lower stuff is actually more difficult for me than higher)without any training would have really hurt, possibly permanently, my voice. I learned a lot from my education- primarily because I was lucky enough to have certain professors that really taught me to love and appreciate music, that were more open to things and not as closed-minded and technical as some can be.

The structure is frustrating sometimes, seeing books like "How To Compose", for instance. ;)That made me laugh out loud. Nonsense. True composers do it from their soul, and it is easy to tell a piece of music like that from a textbook-churned technical exercise some people claim are compositions.

NeonVomit

Post by NeonVomit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Oceanids wrote: The structure is frustrating sometimes, seeing books like "How To Compose", for instance. ;)That made me laugh out loud. Nonsense. True composers do it from their soul, and it is easy to tell a piece of music like that from a textbook-churned technical exercise some people claim are compositions.
Yeah, it's sometimes useful to use such exercises for effect but not as an actual way of composing. They're like tools in your box, or techniques to use in performing. Learning advanced things about form and structure can be helpful in writing more interesting music, and I guess studying things like sonata form and stuff will always open your mind to other things. Plus, knowing about composition can make you a better performer, and pick up on the subtleties of what you're performing as well as make you a more interesting and 'deep' soloist.

But even though I was a damn good student (if I may say so myself) the composition modules were always my weakest points. I just simply could not write anything convincing if I was given restrictions and limitations. So I dropped those classes and did Ethnomusicology instead, which was really interesting! Something I never thought I'd find interesting, and it just happened by chance. Now I possess knowledge on a subject which had never crossed my mind before then.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is a higher education in music is something that should help you find your path, not a pre-determined path to follow.

Llageran

Post by Llageran » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:32 pm

Miguel_Ricardo wrote:I droped Architecture (2 years) after droping Medicine (1 year), then decided to study music (Arts)

Now I'm being kinda hated here at home, what do you think?
Well, if I die from a strange desease just because you dropped medicine-studies and didn't invent the cure for it I will hate you too.
But you should follow your heart and desire in this case.......there are other things that can be healed with music. ;)

Miguel_Ricardo

Post by Miguel_Ricardo » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:23 am

surprising enough I steped with a girl in class that I met here in the forum! What a small planet....