Finally recruiting for my band

Here musicians can talk to each other about making music etc. Of course if you are not a musician you are still welcomed to this board, but the topics should somehow be about making music.
hiro23
Finally recruiting for my band

Post by hiro23 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:22 am

Yes I know many of you are thinking: "it's about time dude" but I wanted to wait until I felt it was the right time.

Many of you already know my influences but for those who don't the type of sound I am going for is Neo-classical power metal, so it would be great if your influences included bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Helloween, Yngwie Malmsteen, Rainbow, Deep Purple and many other bands of this nature.

The songwriting duties will be split equally however if you do not like to write, that will be just fine as well.
metal feeds the beast

Mormegil

Re: Finally recruiting for my band

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:33 am

Pay all the expenses I get from moving to Utah and I'd be happy to join as a guitarist. :P
Seriously though, I'd love to find your kind of vocalist to start a band with. Not too many musicians interested in playing neo-classical power metal where I live.

Good luck with your band. :wink:

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:43 am

Actually I was planning on taking a trip to Europe as that's the place where Power metal thrives, there are some fans of it here in the states however most of them are more interested in the grunge metal(bands like alice in chains or white zombie)or Screamo metal or at least that's what I call it(bands like Lamb of god or Killswitch engage)

So if anyone is willing to help me out I'd be more then willing to come out there, my only problem is that with my bills it will take me several months before I can save enough for a ticket to Europe.
However until then I can exchange ideas with whoever is willing.
metal feeds the beast

warrencurrymetal

Post by warrencurrymetal » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:44 am

Cool dude!

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:31 am

hiro23 wrote:Actually I was planning on taking a trip to Europe as that's the place where Power metal thrives, there are some fans of it here in the states however most of them are more interested in the grunge metal(bands like alice in chains or white zombie)or Screamo metal or at least that's what I call it(bands like Lamb of god or Killswitch engage)

So if anyone is willing to help me out I'd be more then willing to come out there, my only problem is that with my bills it will take me several months before I can save enough for a ticket to Europe.
However until then I can exchange ideas with whoever is willing.
Yay, for once the Europe gets to be the Land of Opportunities. :lol:

Well, inform me if you have any intention of wandering all the way up here to the north. :wink:

Irinia

Post by Irinia » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:04 am

Good luck lovely hiro!
Hope you find someone interested in joining your band :)

rikkertje

Post by rikkertje » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:11 pm

When you come to Europe, please come to The Netherlands! I would like to play keys in your band! Bat first I wanna hear your voice.

And I;m not interested in writing music. I'll leave that to you! :)

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:12 am

Well I'd just have to arrange certain things first, where I would be staying(hopefully someone would be willing to put me up for a bit),when I would be going(booking in advance saves on costs), where we would be playing, where I can get some decent beer etc etc.

Mormegil:Of course, you seem like you are really into the music and that's exactly the kind of people I'm looking for, I only have a few stipulations.
1.Your not a druggie(I don't want this kind of thing effecting the performance of the band, I want 100% sober players)

2.Your not an alcoholic(don't get me wrong here, I don't care if you drink, I drink, I just don't want it to be a problem IE showing up to a gig completely smashed)

3.That we are on par musically(I don't want someone coming to me and saying "hey the last album was neo-classical, how about the next one be a rap album" I don't mind if we experiment with different things here and there however I do have a musical direction I want to go in)

That's about it, hopefully those aren't asking too much, also as I said before if you can contribute to song writings that would be really cool, however it's not something you have to do.

Rikkertje:Just like I said with Mormegil if you can meet these requirements then your in, and it's cool if you don't want to write, however if during the course of being in the band you feel a song forming in your brain feel free to share it with the rest of the band.

Irinia:thank you for the vote of confidence, I'm going to need as many people supporting me as possible. :)

Warrencurrymetal:thanks
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:49 am

So those requirements are not just for Mormegil?
i so meet them

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:05 am

Icecab:those requirements are for anyone who wants to be in the band, I just want people who like the music and aren't in it for the money or the lifestyle.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:08 am

its a good standard. smart to have everyone on the same sheet.

would you like a power metal stairway to heaven cover where everyone can be on the same Page?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:01 am

Oh I don't mind if we try out a few different covers here and there, I'm just saying as far as the original material goes I want it to be very similar.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:18 am

do you know when you can get a vocal demo or recording?

Mormegil

Post by Mormegil » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Well I'd just have to arrange certain things first, where I would be staying(hopefully someone would be willing to put me up for a bit),when I would be going(booking in advance saves on costs), where we would be playing, where I can get some decent beer etc etc.
We can look into this later. Right now I'm new in town myself and have to find out some of these things myself. ;)

1.Your not a druggie: I tried crack once and that's about it. :lol:

2.Your not an alcoholic: On average I usually get drunk about once a month and when I do, I hardly ever even take any hard liquors.

3.That we are on par musically: I want some musical evolution for sure, but not really any drastic turns, like from Keeper I & II to Pink Bubbles and Chameleon.

I know and like all the band you named as your influence, just lacking some classical composers, Symphony X and probably my biggest influence Blind Guardian.

I've been composing and arranging songs for years and I love doing it. I use Guitar Pro in it (really simply program, I know, but it gets the job of giving someone the basic idea done).
I've made´about 100 or so songs in my life and have currently about 50 good ones in my drawer, with styles ranging from acoustic ballads via progressive rock to +10 minute power magnun opuses. :D I suck at writing lyrics though.

I could send you some samples as midi-files.

NeverendingAbyss

Post by NeverendingAbyss » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Great, dude! I'll be waiting to hear from your album! :D
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch?!

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:32 pm

Mormegil:well as I said those aren't all my influences, I was just listing what type of sound we would be going for, if you want to know some of my favorite classical composers I like Beethoven,Mozart,Vivaldi,Pachelbel,Rossini,Liszt etc etc. This would be another war and peace list if I keep going,I also like Symphony X and Blind Guardian, I was just putting up a small example, it would take too long if I listed all my influences, don't worry we won't make any dramatic turns in our music, if we do something different it will be more on par with the genre we are playing.

As far as the drug thing goes I don't care what you've done in the past what matters is if your clean and sober now, with the alcoholic thing as I said you can drink, I just don't want it to become some kind of problem for the band.

Neverending abyss:thanks, I'll be sure to let you know
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:59 am

nice set of influences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6ggTcfz7X8 is a additional influence for me.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:11 am

I was never really a fan of David Hasselhoff however I will acknowledge the fact that he is a good singer.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:57 pm

So are you thinking about keeping it western or are you interested in crosses with eastern music as well?

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:11 pm

There will be some but I think mostly it will be eastern influences as most of the stuff I listen to tends to be of that origin

Edit:strike that, basically if it's big and theatrical, I'll most likely like it, I have been getting influenced by some Styx stuff lately as well.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:41 pm

By eastern I mean Indian and Chinese and the sort fused with metal and the sort. I got myself confused. Do you mean more Eastern Europe than Western Europe? Those influences you have listed are Western Europe composers and the tradition of power metal is Western Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=420fFmzt9Oo here is a little example of a mix of the two. i'll make something crazy and then send it to you as well.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:02 pm

I think there will be many different cultural influences, if it sounds good to me I'll do it.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:39 am

Sounds good to take what sounds good. Just no going crazy and only likening the sounds of screaming babies.

do you know the raange of your voice is currently? that way the 8 octive vocal songs can be edited into a more suitable range.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:45 am

I've gotten comfortable with my range, I'm sure that I'd be able to adjust the music to fit it.
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:08 am

I might be confusing myself but i did not mean for the range question to be rhetorical. Sort of like C2-C2 (since that would just be hilarious) or something like F2-F4 and so on.
All in good time though with good times and kick ass music will kick Asses for years to come.

hiro23

Post by hiro23 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:09 am

I agree, all you need is the right amount of inspiration
metal feeds the beast

icecab21

Post by icecab21 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 am

It’s all about 4 things
The inspiration
The perspiration
The Pentiums